[REMOVE ADS]

You're the Man debuts at #168 on Billboard 200, #17 on R&B Albums Chart

Marvin's "You're the Man" presents the late Motown legend's first charted studio album since 1985's Dream of a Lifetime peaked at number 41 back in 1985, reaching #168 on the Billboard 200 and #17 on the R&B Albums chart [[as opposed to R&B/Hip-Hop).

His position on the R&B charts can be found here:
    https://www.billboard.com/charts/r-and-b-albums

How many late music legends you know can get a buzz like Marvin got from this? Wished more people had streamed it but oh well.

Good news! Interesting that on the posted link above to Billboard's R&B charts, in fact there are a few other late music legends with best selling albums: Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston and Bob Marley. Nice to see.

Yeah. Amazing Bob is still charting after all these years.

I just received my copy of "You're the Man" and listened to it once. I always have to listen to albums several times before I know how much I like them, but this one was a little underwhelming to me at first listen. I'm anxious to hear what others thought of it.

I agree with the concept they took to gather all the tracks and recreate the "lost" album even though all the tracks, or at least most of them, have been released over the years on various compilations and box sets. Although I love Dusty Springfield as a singer, I never thought of buying her recent CDs where they purport to present albums as "originally planned," because in her case as well most of the songs had been released over the years. As great as a singer as Dusty was, her albums could not remotely be considered "concept" albums as could Marvin's, and I saw no reason to hear the original track sequence.

But even still, the album to me didn't really present Marvin at his best. Certainly, it's no "What's Going On" and lacks that piece's cohesion and flow.

But as I said, I'm very anxious to hear others' opinions, and of course I will play the album a few more times before I really know it and have listened to it, just as Gaye originally intended.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Yeah. Amazing Bob is still charting after all these years.
    These days there are lots of old time catalogue artists on the charts - even on some singles charts

Looks like the album only spent 1 week on the chart but Queen Bob Marley Journey billy Joel Creedence Eagles Beatles Beach Boys Bob Seeger fleetwood Mac Michael Jackson Guns N Roses and Tupac are currently on the Top 200

Just bought the CD version today to balance the scales. Hopefully Universal didn't press too many and can see a profit from this format as well. A Major's tendency to follow a vision as opposed to demand can create much disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Good news! Interesting that on the posted link above to Billboard's R&B charts, in fact there are a few other late music legends with best selling albums: Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston and Bob Marley. Nice to see.
    All of them have tremendous musical legacies that will continue on for many years to come. Marvin Gaye made some truly awesome music.

https://www.officialcharts.com/artis...7/marvin-gaye/

‘You're The Man’ has entered the UK Top 100 album chart at #52 a week after its release on CD and download. Ironically it’s trounced ‘What’s Going On’ which peaked at #56 in 2000! ‘You're The Man’ is only Marvin’s 7th solo UK chart entry!