[REMOVE ADS]

The girls and Grammies

As we know, the Supremes and DR never won any of the nominations they received over the years. while i'm sure we've all a bit biased on here lol thought it would be interesting to discussion:

1) compared to the other nominees in their category SHOULD they have won?
    2) what failed to get nominated that absolutely should have

1965 Best R&B recording - Baby Love. lost to Nancy Wilson's How Glad I Am

1966 Best Pop Performance by a group or duo - Stop in the name of love
    Other nominees were Statler Bros "Flowers on the wall" [[winner), Beatles "Help", Herman's Hermits "Mrs Brown you've got a lovely daughter", Sam the Sham and the Pharaohs "Wooly bully"

1971 Best Female Pop ANMHE. Other nominees were Dionne Warwick "I'll never fall in love again" [[winner), Bobbie Gentry Fancy, Anne Murray Snowbird, Linda Ronstadt Long Long Time

1972 Best Female R&B Call me. Other nominees were Aretha Franklin "Bridge Over Troubled Water" [[winner), Jean Knight "Mr Big Stuff", Janis Joplin "Pearl" and Freda Payne "Contact"

1974 Best Female Pop TMITM. Other nominees were Roberta Flack "Killing me softly with his song" [[winner), Bette Midler Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy, Anne Murray Danny's Song, Carly Simon You're So Vain

1977 Best Female R&B Love hangover. other nominees were natalie Cole "Sophisticated Lady" [[winner), Aretha Franklin "Something he can feel", Dorothy Moore "Misty Blue", Melba Moore "Lean on me"

1978 Best Female R&B Your love is so good for me. other nominees were Thelma Houston "Don't leave me this way" [[winner), Natalie Cole "i've got love on my mind", Aretha Franklin "Break it to me gently", Dorothy Moore "I believe in you"

1979 Best R&B group or duo Ease On Down The Road. other nominees were Earth Wind Fire "All n all" [[winner), A Taste of Honey "boogie oogie oggie", Commodores "Natural High", Ojays "Used to be my girl"

1981 Best Female R&B Upside Down. other nominees were Stephanie Mills "Never knew love like this before" [[winner), Roberta Flack "Roberta Flack featuring Donny Hathaway", aretha Franklin 'I can't turn you loose", Minnie Riperton "Love Lives Forever"

1982 Best Pop performance duo or group Endless Love. other nominees were Manhattan transfer "the boy from new york city" [[winner), Hall & Oates "private eyes", Pointer Sisters "slow hand", steely Dan "gaucho"

1983 Best Female R&B Muscles. other nominees were jennifer Holliday "and i'm telling you" [[winner), Aretha franklin "jump to it", Patrice Rushen "forget me nots", Donna summer "love is in control"

From the Supremes years, I think that LOVE IS HERE AND NOW YOU'RE GONE and SOMEDAY WE'LL BE TOGETHER were great performances and deserved to be nominated, if not winners.

I love Dionne's I'LL NEVER FALL IN LOVE AGAIN but I don't think it should have won over Diana's AIN'T NO MOUNTAIN HIGH ENOUGH. The category was Best Contemporary Vocal Performance, Female and I really think Diana's recording was just that, a great performance. By comparison, I think Dionne's recording is nice, but rather low-key.

It is very interesting that LADY SINGS THE BLUES didn't receive a single nomination. It won Favorite Pop Album at the AMAs which means the public loved it. So I'm surprised it didn't receive similar recognition by the Grammys.

I think TOUCH ME IN THE MORNING would have been deserving, but I can't be disappointed that Roberta's KILLING ME SOFTLY won.

It was nice that MUSCLES was nominated but vocally, I think it paled considerably next to the recordings it was up against.

MISSING YOU was a great vocal performance that should have been nominated.

Today there are categories for best toenail clippings. In the 60's, there were so few categories that many deserving people did not even get nominated much. The Supremes, Temptations, Four Tops, Martha and the Vandellas would win categories today; especially the Supremes because of their cultural impact in the mid 60's.

The above also applies to the 1970s.

There was such a bias toward MOR recordings, easy listening recordings in those years.

Agree with Reese's comments about Lady, Touch Me, and Mountain. Love Hangover was also somewhat of a groundbreaker in terms of the ballad portion with the disco portion.

I can't believe diana 80 wasn't nominated for album of the year. or The Boss or Surrender either

Even though I don't care much for it, I think "Stop" deserved it in 1966.

ANMHE is such an exciting song and vocal that I'm surprised it was beat out by those other songs.

I absolutely love Diana's version of "Call Me" but Ree's "Bridge" definitely deserved it.

TMITM is a great song and definitely deserved it's nomination, but it's hard to argue against "Killing Me Softly".

I'm a huge Natalie Cole fan but I've never liked "Sophisticated Lady". I really hate it to be honest. But even sitting my hatred of it aside and trying to evaluate it without bias, I think "Something" and "Misty Blue" were more deserving than "Sophisticated" and "Hangover".

"Your Love Is So Good for Me" shouldn't have even been in the conversation with the other songs in that category. Who the hell nominated that?

Again, "Ease On Down the Road" shouldn't have even been in the conversation with the other songs in that category, as good as it was. [[I do like it better than "Boogie Oogie" which I HATE.)

"Never Knew Love Like This" is a great song. I really don't think "Upside" could compete with that one.

"Endless Love" was just as deserving as "Slow Hand". As much as I love Hall and Oates and "Private Eyes", I wouldn't put it on the same level. And as much as I love Manhattan Transfer, I can't stand "Boy From NYC" and just don't see how it was even in the conversation with the aforementioned songs.

Neither "Muscles" nor "Love Is In Control" had any business being nominated alongside those other songs. Yikes.

Regarding what deserved to be nominated...

Singles
    "You Can't Hurry Love", "You Keep Me Hangin On", "Love Is Here and Now You're Gone", "I'm Gonna Make You Love Me", "Someday We'll Be Together", "Up the Ladder", "Sleepin", "I Thought It Took a Little Time"

Album cuts
    "Brown Baby/Save the Children", "Confide In Me", "I Guess I'll Miss the Man", "No One Gets the Prize"

Albums
    Touch, Surrender, TMITM, Baby It's Me, Blue

Had the Rodgers and Hart album had the tracklist I gave it in the "what would you change about Sups Albums" [[I think that's the thread) I think it would have been a good candidate [[or should have been a good candidate) for a Grammy.

good point about R&H. Ella Fitzgerald won a lot of grammies for her songbook work. I think the Sups R&H warranted at least a nomination.

I think Love Child should have received a pop grammy nom. Not sure it would have won. Mrs Robinson won the 69 one and others nominated included Hey Jude

What about The Boss? there was a short-lived category of Best Disco in 1980 [[for songs released in 79). I Will Survive won but also nominated were Do Ya Think I'm Sexy, Dim All The Lights, Boogie Wonderland, Don't Stop Till You Get Enough

Why not give them the finger by recording a cover of "Flowers on the Wall" with different lyrics and the Funk Brothers? I don't care if the single doesn't sell well,it would be Berry's ultimate act of revenge.

If it has been covered with electronic instruments as well as with the Muppets recently, I just don't know why they didn't do it.

Sportsmanship maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    good point about R&H. Ella Fitzgerald won a lot of grammies for her songbook work. I think the Sups R&H warranted at least a nomination.

I think Love Child should have received a pop grammy nom. Not sure it would have won. Mrs Robinson won the 69 one and others nominated included Hey Jude

What about The Boss? there was a short-lived category of Best Disco in 1980 [[for songs released in 79). I Will Survive won but also nominated were Do Ya Think I'm Sexy, Dim All The Lights, Boogie Wonderland, Don't Stop Till You Get Enough
    "The Boss" would be in good company with those songs, but not good enough.

Tina's One of The Living got nominated, and I believe won...you would have to stop 30 people on the street to find one familiar with it...everyone paid attention to We Don't Need Another Hero...her other song from the movie.

Love Child and Stoned Love should have both been nominated

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    "The Boss" would be in good company with those songs, but not good enough.
    yeah i think it should have been nominated by wouldn't have beaten Survive. I do think it's a better artistic performance than Boogie Wonderland.

Dionne herself was surprised that she won that Grammy. She made that comment on recent PBS show. Considering some of her brilliant performances like Don’t make me over , Anyone who had a Heart ... did she win other Grammies?

Yeah ANMHE really was robbed. Dionne was fine but neither the song nor the performance match what diana did

My too sense about shoulda beens:
    1965: Baby Love. Like jobeterob mentioned, the Grammies were MOR oriented, hence How Glad I Am.
    1966: Stop! shoulda won over the other Pop nominees, including Help!
    1967: You Can't Hurry Love, You Keep Me Hangin' On [[Pop). Love Is Like An Itching [[R&B). Maybe even My World [[Pop). 1966 a banner year for The Supremes & Motown.
    1968: Love Is Here [[Pop or R&B), Reflections [[Pop)
    1969: Love Child [[Pop, R&B)
    1970: Someday [[R&B, Pop)
    1971: ANMHE.Diana Ross wuz robbed! [[Like she would be two years later with Lady and the Oscars). Don't know the R&B nominees but Up or Stoned Love shoulda been.
    1972: Call Me? Huh? How about Reach Out [[I'll Be There)?
    1973:Would there've been an issue if LSTB soundtrack was nominated for Pop vocal performance? [[Don't wanna anger the Jazz purists!)
    1974: I'm perfectly fine with Killing Me Softly.
    1977: I'm partial to Misty Blue.
    1978: Thelma rightfully won. Your Love Is So Good? Huh? How about The Same Love That Made Me Laugh?
    1980: I'd take The Boss over Do Ya Think I'm Sexy.
    1981: Never Knew Love Like This is one of my favorite songs.
    1982: Endless Love [[but I love me some Slow Hand )
    1983: Muscles? Nah.
    1985: Missing You. Definitely. By this time the Grammies had long lost credibility and my respect. [[Of course, Diana's relevance in Pop was also slipping).
    Last edited by lucky2012; 04-08-2019 at 09:34 PM.