[REMOVE ADS]

Kim Weston - Fancy Meeting You Here

Kim Weston's "Motown Anthology" featured such a wealth of previously unreleased tracks that many of her more well known Motown songs had to be left off. One of the unreleased tracks that I've tended to overlook is "Fancy Meeting You Here" - when you stop and listen to it, it is really quite classy and enjoyable.

From DFTMC
    Fancy Meeting You Here
    Producer – William 'Smokey' Robinson*
    Written By – William Robinson/William Stevenson
    Written-By – William Robinson*, William Stevenson

From YouTube

I recently discovered that song also and the Motown Anthology. She did a few amazing jazz numbers along with an enormous amount of work yet Motown never released or planned an album by her with the exception of "Take Two" with Marvin Gaye. I love Kim Weston's voice!

"Fancy Meeting You Here" is really an anomoly in the whole of Motown's 60's output. It's incredibly serious business, almost too good. It isn't lighthearted, not really a dance tune. Not a ballad. I love this one to pieces but it really defies any catorgization. I would put it with the best of Adult Contemporary music, but even then, it's leaps and bounds beyond what you would have heard on radio stations at the time.

It tells a story and does it exceedingly well. How many of us have been in the situation of being jilted and then finding that person received just what they doled out to you? Only thing is, nobody wins. Everyone loses and I've never really heard a song communicate that as well as this song. Kim can't even gloat over this turn of events. Probably one of the best examples of how Kim could rein in her powerhouse voice at the right time. She sings this one like a woman barely containing her fury.

One of the best details of this production is the use of The Andantes and especially The Originals as Kim's testifying choir. When Kim gets to the choruses, The Originals actually do the gloating for Kim; as Kim sings Fancy meeting you hear, with ladylike restraint, it's The Originals who supply a most sarcastic, withering "OH YEAH" reproachment. When I heard this, it was like an incredible emotional realease hearing these guys basically saying in those two words: "You got exactly what you deserved."
    Last edited by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance; 04-07-2019 at 01:49 PM.

This truly is a stunning recording. The lyrics, the production and the vocals combine to make this undoubtedly one of Kim's finest recordings. I would agree with the previous post. It defies categorisation. It's actually hard to believe Smokey had anything to do with this. It just a unique recording. Perhaps that's why there was a consensus that there was nowhere for it to go at the time.
    Kim really deserved to have an album release.

Kim's "Fancy Meeting You Here" is indeed a beautiful track. Reminds me a lot of her "A Thrill A Moment" Gordy single. Motown should have released at least three LPs of Kim's solo material -- two on Tamla and one on Gordy. Such a disappointing waste that they ignored her so.
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 04-08-2019 at 01:58 AM.

[QUOTE=mysterysinger;510345]Kim Weston's "Motown Anthology" featured such a wealth of previously unreleased tracks that many of her more well known Motown songs had to be left off. One of the unreleased tracks that I've tended to overlook is "Fancy Meeting You Here" - when you stop and listen to it, it is really quite classy and enjoyable.

When I compiled the Anthology on Kim, I took fully into account the tracks already on her Greatest Hits and Rate Classics cd issue.

The two issues are meant to be complimentary.

The tragedy was that there was not more vault material from the Motown mainstream like Fancy meeting you here and You can do it.

I have never been a fan of Motown’s attempts at turning their artistes into MOR acts.

This is a stunning song!!!

Some great comments there. Thanks and I'm glad others love the track too