[REMOVE ADS]

Supreme 1972 Copa rehearsal. MCL

Wow excellent!!! Amazing find. Guessing they also did Stoned Love and Exodus like from the Hawaii show

I’m guessing from what I hear It sounds like Mary and Lynda splitting the lead with a little Cindy thrown in

Wow thanks Luke. Where was Jean? Would be interesting if this tape can be cleaned up to hear how Mary and Lynda handled the leads.

Jean was sick and went back to LA. Cindy stepped in to cover

I think in her book Mary questioned just how sick Jean was of unknown ailment.

Wow this is great. I never heard Lynda do this - only Jean. They are doing fine with this lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    Wow this is great. I never heard Lynda do this - only Jean. They are doing fine with this lineup.
    Lynda is a very talented singer. She was woefully underused whilst a member of the Supremes.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Great find Luke and thank you. That picture came from Weldon McDougal's book.

The drummer is pounding the songs into submission. He is too loud especially on "Reflections".

I think it sounds better like this....most likely just their own traveling musicians, and the brass heavy Copa orchestra nowhere to be found....this is pop music that sounds like pop music. The Copa band tended to make everything swing or sound like a Broadway show piece.

Thanks. How long was Jean out and did Cindy fill in for more than the Copa obligation? Thanks in advance.

The video labels this as a rehearsal. This doesn't sound that great. Perhaps they were adjusting mikes and stuff.

I was at this performance and was totally impressed by this lineup. At first, when they first came on stage, I did not even notice that Jean was not there. I had seen Cindy first and then wondered, "Why is not the new Supreme there?". It was only then that I realized that Jean was missing and Lynda was the lead.

It took a minute to get over the shock of seeing this unanounced lineup, but then totally enjoyed it.

Over the years, to many fans, Lynda is the most unpopular Supreme. But she has my respect. She had recently been added to the group, and was unexpectadly called to replace Jean as lead - first in Hawaii, and then here at the Copa.

Of course, the Supremes fans in the audience realized that this was a unique line-up after our initial shock was over. But what about the regular Copa audience? Well, the tables were so close that we were able to hear conversations at some other tables. I heard one lady at the table next to us say "Which one is Diana?".

I don't remember much about the set list, gowns or anything else. My big take away from the night was that Lynda did a great job as unexpected lead, a slightly pregnant Cindy looked happy to be back as a Supreme, and Mary was her usual charming smiling self.

Jean returned for the final week, and then Mary was sick. My cousin saw this performance w/o Mary...JCL...my first question: Did Mary wear her blonde hair??? when he told me Mary wasn't there, I thought HE [[who was the person that introduced ME to the group) should have been paying closer attention. It was prom season, he said the place was packed, and where he was sitting the majority of the time he could see 2 only 2 girls because there was a support column in the way.