[REMOVE ADS]

Heatwave rerecorded

I wonder why they ended up rerecording this song for Sing HDH. Diana's vocal is more upbeat as well as the tempo but whoever is doing the backups on that version did not sound as good as the original unreleased version. It almost sounds like Mary is doing the top harmony and Flo is doing the bottom. Having Mary take the top was never a good idea when it was done. I see why the Andantes were later added to the stereo version of the song, it definitely beefed up the harmony.

I still haven't gotten the expanded edition, so I don't know what inside information the booklet contains. However, I've been curious about why the re-record, not just for this but for "Same Old Song" too, when both the 1965 versions are superior to what ended up on HDH. And I agree about Mary taking the top.

for Heatwave #1 [[unreleased) the track was cut April 65 while #2 [[on Sing HDH) was cut over a year later in June 66 with additional recording dates throughout the month.

My only thought on why was the faster tempo seemed to be the approach with many of their covers. Seems like A Go Go was quickly being envisioned as a dance album and so they wanted the pace a bit faster

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I still haven't gotten the expanded edition, so I don't know what inside information the booklet contains. However, I've been curious about why the re-record, not just for this but for "Same Old Song" too, when both the 1965 versions are superior to what ended up on HDH. And I agree about Mary taking the top.
    I like that on version 1 it's Diana, Mary and Flo all singing backup. It's a good sound with the 3 part harmony. And wait... what? Still haven't gotten the expanded edition? :-)

Quote Originally Posted by George Solomon View Post
    And wait... what? Still haven't gotten the expanded edition? :-)
    I know. I know. I've bought all the Supremes/Ross expandeds [[even Funny Girl download) except Copa and the last Christmas release. Here lately I've had to prioritize and unfortunately getting HDH expanded is low on the totem pole. Hopefully things will look up soon and I can indulge in a new Supremes purchase without kicking myself. But it does suck to know my fellow Supreme fans are enjoying something that I am not.

Quote Originally Posted by George Solomon View Post
    I like that on version 1 it's Diana, Mary and Flo all singing backup. It's a good sound with the 3 part harmony. And wait... what? Still haven't gotten the expanded edition? :-)
    Are there any other groups that had a better 3 part harmony than DMF? I think not.