[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Katherine and the Marvelettes sing 2018

It is so good to Kat up there singing. Thank you Luke!

I am not sure who those women are with Kat, but that is not the group she accompanies out on the road.

Interesting. Maybe she made a change like the Original Vandellas did with lead singer. Great to hear Katherine!

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Interesting. Maybe she made a change like the Original Vandellas did with lead singer. Great to hear Katherine!
    This needs investigation. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I am not sure who those women are with Kat, but that is not the group she accompanies out on the road.
    I noticed that, too. Hope Kat is having lots of fun!

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
    I noticed that, too. Hope Kat is having lots of fun!
    She deserves to have some fun. She was hurt once again to be left out of the Motown Anniversary celebrations.

Kat has the right to tour all she wants, but this is not good. The ladies are not bad, but Kat is barely singing along, keeps looking over to the other ladies, doesn't do any of the choreography, etc. She looks like she doesn't know what she's doing nor that she's trying.

I find it odd she's doing this now. At one time she stated she had no interest in reviving the Marvelettes especially when Gladys tried to do so in the 80s. Had she paired up with Gladys back then they could have had more power to win back the name and could have made some money touring when the group's name still had some weight and recognition to the public.

The Marvelettes are 'my girls' but these are NOT 'my girls' and never will be. IMHO I think that Kat has been very badly advised in this matter. Kat was never the voice of the Marvelettes and now she is like so many older singers who have lost their vocal range. No disgrace but her singing adds nothing. If they were billed as a tribute group I would have no problem but Kat seems to think that sitting on the stage like Whistlers Mother whilst they sing makes it alright. Well it doesn't! As for the rumour of going into the studio to record new material - don't make me laugh!

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    Kat seems to think that sitting on the stage like Whistlers Mother whilst they sing makes it alright. Well it doesn't! As for the rumour of going into the studio to record new material - don't make me laugh!
    LOL! Whistler's Mother. Classic.

Hum let see....She has had a stroke, abt 75 yo and performs very little. Let her sing. If u don't like it move on and don't listen. At least she shows some interest in her group. A real travesty is that they are barely discussed Motown events. Gee they the first million seller that help to solidify the development of other groups and solo performers.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    Kat has the right to tour all she wants, but this is not good. The ladies are not bad, but Kat is barely singing along, keeps looking over to the other ladies, doesn't do any of the choreography, etc. She looks like she doesn't know what she's doing nor that she's trying.

I find it odd she's doing this now. At one time she stated she had no interest in reviving the Marvelettes especially when Gladys tried to do so in the 80s. Had she paired up with Gladys back then they could have had more power to win back the name and could have made some money touring when the group's name still had some weight and recognition to the public.
    Kat had a stroke. She can't do any choreography. She needs a cane to walk.

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Hum let see....She has had a stroke, abt 75 yo and performs very little. Let her sing. If u don't like it move on and don't listen. At least she shows some interest in her group. A real travesty is that they are barely discussed Motown events. Gee they the first million seller that help to solidify the development of other groups and solo performers.
    BAM, BAM, BAM! You nailed it on all points! She is doing it for fun mostly. They are not making millions performing.

IMHO it would be nice and amazing too see the original line up on stage, maybe for a few songs Ann, Wanda and Kat, these would be then an original Marvelette Grouping

While you have to hand it to Kat for spunk, and while the gals have a pleasant enough sound, and while “trading on the name” is an age-old practice, and while Kat certainly has more right to use the Marvelettes’ name than Larry Marshak does, this still does both her and the Marvelettes’ legacy a disservice. Perhaps Kat needs the income, but I can’t imagine these gigs could pull in all that much, so I have to wonder what her motivation is.

It would have been nicer if she'd have joined Gladys and Wanda in the brief Motorcity period. At least these days she is usually sitting there on stage, being part of the Tribute performances and has input. It takes this offering she is involved with miles above and beyond other tribute performances. Thanks to the Truth In Music movement, there aren't as many fake groups....there was a time when we could have seen different groups of substitute performers using the same once well known name on the same night in 3 different cities...
    Last edited by gman; 04-02-2019 at 08:40 AM.

I wonder how many groupings of singers she uses? This one is not the one I saw
    on youtube a year or so ago while she sat on the stage.

You said it detmotownguy. How can Kat be begrudged for finally getting some control and enjoying herself. You go Katherine! You are “marvelous “!! People seem thrilled to see her.
    Last edited by luke; 04-02-2019 at 01:22 PM.

You said it detmotownguy. How can Kat be begrudged for finally getting some control and enjoying herself. You go Katherine! You are “marvelous “!! People seems thrilled to see her.
    I agree. I don't think Kat is out there for a resurgence of a 'career' and to play
    arena's....she's having fun. The lady is around 75 and has had a stroke....she
    deserves some fun. Kick up your heels, Kat!

Quote Originally Posted by Fullfillingnessfirstfinale View Post
    IMHO it would be nice and amazing too see the original line up on stage, maybe for a few songs Ann, Wanda and Kat, these would be then an original Marvelette Grouping
    Georgia Dobbins and Juanita Cowart are still around as well.

Now that would be something! Wasn’t Georgia the original lead and handed it over to Gladys?

Now that would be something! Wasn’t Georgia the original lead and handed it over to Gladys?
    She was an original and co-writer of "Please Mr. Postman", but her father made her quit the group early on.

Georgia Dobbins was never on any of the Marvelettes recordings as her father put a stop to her career before it even started so she was never counted as a member. I have no idea if she is still alive? Juanita has not sung since she left in '63. Wanda is in no fit state to do anything. Ann is the only one who could but has dropped out of sight.

I have no problem in Kat making money and she has a perfect right to use the name that Gladys fought so hard to gain control of. However these girls will never be more than a tribute group!

Georgia Dobbins was never on any of the Marvelettes recordings as her father put a stop to her career before it even started so she was never counted as a member. I have no idea if she is still alive? Juanita has not sung since she left in '63. Wanda is in no fit state to do anything. Ann is the only one who could but has dropped out of sight.

I have no problem in Kat making money and she has a perfect right to use the name that Gladys fought so hard to gain control of. However these girls will never be more than a tribute group!
    Georgia Dobbins is still alive in Michigan and yes she was counted as member of the group. She did have to pull out just before signing with Motown. She is featured in the Unsung episode on the Marvelettes. She, Kat and Juanita all attended the memorial services for Gladys Horton in CA. Pictures of them together were posted her on the forum. Wanda, surprisingly is doing better, but no she is not in shape to perform, etc. There is a video of her and sister on Youtube that is fairly recent.

Thanks Marv. I had forgotten that Georgia appeared in 'Unsung' and I now do remember her at Gladys's memorial. As she never sang on any recordings I have never counted her as a member! Good to hear that Wanda is doing better. I have seen a few recent photos. Does anyone know what Ann is doing?

Georgia Dobbins is still alive in Michigan and yes she was counted as member of the group. She did have to pull out just before signing with Motown. She is featured in the Unsung episode on the Marvelettes. She, Kat and Juanita all attended the memorial services for Gladys Horton in CA. Pictures of them together were posted her on the forum. Wanda, surprisingly is doing better, but no she is not in shape to perform, etc. There is a video of her and sister on Youtube that is fairly recent.
    Marv I couldn't locate the vid. You happen to have the link? Thanks!

Thanks Marv. I had forgotten that Georgia appeared in 'Unsung' and I now do remember her at Gladys's memorial. As she never sang on any recordings I have never counted her as a member! Good to hear that Wanda is doing better. I have seen a few recent photos. Does anyone know what Ann is doing?
    Ann went back to her hometown of Cleveland, Ohio. Last I heard she was singing
    in a church choir/gospel group.
    Last edited by lakeside; 04-02-2019 at 07:56 PM.

Thanks Lakeside.

I do believe Ann was interviewed on Unsung as well. I remember seeing her unless it was another interview somewhere else.

Ann Bogan was from Ohio, Cleveland I think. I think she is back living there. Sings in church I heard but that was years ago.

Ann went back to her hometown of Cleveland, Ohio. Last I heard she was singing
    in a church choir/gospel group.
    Lakeside! I posted the almost exact same response before seeing yours. Sorry.

Lakeside! I posted the almost exact same response before seeing yours. Sorry.
    Well.....it must be true then! LOL!

She should have showed interest 30 years ago when there was actual interest in the group and Gladys was around. When was the last time Kat performed professionally on stage before this? 1969? She had said numerous times in the past she had no interest in returning to show business or performing. I'm being brutally honest. Why now at 75 after suffering a stroke?

I find it funny there are people on here who think Diana Ross is a washed up has-been who can't sing, yet think it's so great Kat is performing. Really, folks, really?
    Last edited by bradsupremes; 04-02-2019 at 10:24 PM.

She should have showed interest 30 years ago when there was actual interest in the group and Gladys was around. When was the last time Kat performed professionally on stage before this? 1969? She had said numerous times in the past she had no interest in returning to show business or performing. I'm being brutally honest. Why now at 75 after suffering a stroke?

I find it funny there are people on here who think Diana Ross is a washed up has-been who can't sing, yet think it's so great Kat is performing. Really, folks, really?
    Diana Ross is a washed up, has been . She qualifies for that distinction because she never stopped performing and made a slew of records that did not sell to the point that she has not gotten any serious radio airplay in more than 30 years and has not had even a release in something like 12 or 13 years. Her voice has "changed" and no one in the main stream is looking for her today.

Kat is just doing this for fun and perhaps a little money.
    Last edited by marv2; 04-02-2019 at 11:13 PM.

I'll try to find it.

Well.....it must be true then! LOL!
    Oh it's true. I only post the TRUTH! LOL!

Sorry DET, no luck. I think it is no longer on Youtube.

Diana Ross is a washed up, has been . She qualifies for that distinction because she never stopped performing and made a slew of records that did not sell to the point that she has not gotten any serious radio airplay in more than 30 years and has not had even a release in something like 12 or 13 years. Her voice has "changed" and no one in the main stream is looking for her today.

Kat is just doing this for fun and perhaps a little money.
    Ha! You know I could easily swap in Kat's name in that paragraph, right?

Really It is none of your or anyone's business what motivates Kat. If you don't like the vid of her performance move on. I hope she doesn't read this thread. Or if she does read this thread maybe she will tell you what you can put her cane.

Lol. Well said demot....you’d think on a Motown site everyone would be happy about a Motowner performing and surviving a stroke. Are we on another planet?

Lol. Well said demot....you’d think on a Motown site everyone would be happy about a Motowner performing and surviving a stroke. Are we on another planet?
    We're not on another planet, but I'd swear some of these guys are on some strange stuff!

I am sorry to hear of her stroke,but she's very couragous to still be performing,i will always have a soft spot for my girls,and it's very sad that wanda can't be there too!

And yet major networks still use that washed up has been to promote Motown 60. Your the washed up has been dear [[although you were never anything to begin with heheheheheheheheheheheheh) and your obesssion with Diane Ross is getting sicker ever day.

[QUOTE=marv2;509859]We're not on another planet, but I'd swear some of these guys are on some strange stuff!

The thread was all about Kat and someone had to bring up Ross to stir things up. Probs strange stuff cause someone on this site posts under 2- different names and we know who s/he is.......

[QUOTE=detmotownguy;509892]
    We're not on another planet, but I'd swear some of these guys are on some strange stuff!

The thread was all about Kat and someone had to bring up Ross to stir things up. Probs strange stuff cause someone on this site posts under 2- different names and we know who s/he is.......
    Marvs the one who trashed Diana Ross on this here thread dearie so dont pretend otherwise. We know your games Maam,.

I would LOVE to see Kat. She has brains, 30 year ago she was working in a management position with a Cable Co. in Detroit and so she has a retirement, so yes, now this is more or less a hobby. You go, Kat. You make us orginal fans proud.

[QUOTE=Roberta75;509894]

Marvs the one who trashed Diana Ross on this here thread dearie so dont pretend otherwise. We know your games Maam,.

Wrong again Jonc......

Last edited by bradsupremes; Yesterday at 09:24 PM.

[QUOTE=detmotownguy;509925]
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post

Wrong again Jonc......
    Last edited by bradsupremes; Yesterday at 09:24 PM.
    OMG.....your delusional. Youve got me as BradSupremes and JonC and a few other people and per usual; you are wrong wrong wrong. I think its great Kats out there doing her thing....... so zip it and go make up someone else you think I am Yankee.
    Last edited by Roberta75; 04-03-2019 at 05:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    I would LOVE to see Kat. She has brains, 30 year ago she was working in a management position with a Cable Co. in Detroit and so she has a retirement, so yes, now this is more or less a hobby. You go, Kat. You make us orginal fans proud.
    I hear you Motony! I am very proud of Kat. She is a super nice lady too.

GEEZ, this got dumb real quick.

I think it's awesome that Kat is still out there having fun with her group. Sure these gals will never match the original Marvelettes but Kat earned her right to do this!

But keep it realistic, if Diana Ross is a washed up has-been, what does that make Kat? A woman who was a member of a singing group whose last hit was in 1967, retired in 1972 and has only started singing again in recent years? Cmon.

Both women are legends in their own right.