[REMOVE ADS]

"I'm In Love Again": Could It Have Hit?

Obviously it's hard to argue against any of the first five number one hits. But then "Nothing But Heartaches" comes around. A lot of fans love it, some don't, but I have noticed there seems to be an increasing number of fans who- love it or not- are not surprised that it didn't become the sixth number one hit, myself included. I love the song [[especially the extended version) and it wouldn't have surprised me if it had gone all the way, but I'm also not surprised that it didn't. [[Although the fact that it stalled at #11 pop is a bit peculiar.)

So with hindsight being 20/20, would anyone have put their money on "I'm In Love Again" following "Back In My Arms Again" instead of "Heartaches"? There's been a theory circulating that "Nothing" didn't do what it's five predecessors had done because it seemed like it was more of the same and not different enough. "I Hear a Symphony", aside from just being a damn good song, was definitely a departure from the sound of their previous singles and may well have added to it's appeal. I'm entering into the record the theory that "I'm In Love Again" might have followed "Back" into the number one spot because all of the elements that made the Supremes The Supremes were present in a song that doesn't quite sound like the five before it, in a similar way as "Symphony".

Workable theory? Or wishful thinking? Was "I'm In Love Again" worthy of a major hit, number one in particular, or was it really just a good album track/b side and nothing more?

I have to listen to it again. I thought Something About You by the Tops would be a number one smash. Go figure.

I'm in Love Again sound like another decent R&B/pop charter for them but I do think something like Mother Dear would've still been better to chart at the top or near the top but IILA definitely sounds like it could have a fight for #1. The Supremes and HDH were a match made in heaven at this point.

I think the message from the public was that they were ready for something new from the Sups and Motown. if you look at the progression from WDOLG to BIMAA you see how each release really develops the sound. there's something new and special with each one.

Also by this time the "Motown Sound" was everywhere. Four Tops, MRATV, Temps, Stevie, marvin, miracles, brenda, kim, jr walker, etc etc, etc. So there was just the need to keep developing the Sups records to keep them fresh from the previous, but also they now needed to keep ahead of their fellow labelmates.

By mid 65 there was TONS of motown material out there and so i think Nothing got lost in that. just wasn't exciting enough after all of the great previous Sup and other motown content. It wasn't unique and inventive. So it only did ok rather than excellent

haha - sorry forgot to address the question at hand

I'm In Love Again is a great song. But ballads are tough to get huge appeal with. I think it would have done ok but i don't think it would have been a #1 either. Might have gone low in the top 10s.

Symphony is a similar beat and speed but offers so much more. a totally new approach with the key changes, the gorgeous symphonic backing track.

I just listened to "I'm In Love Again" for the first time in my life — something which, may I point out, everyone would have done in the summer of ‘65 upon the song's release — and, while I like the song quite a lot and it feels quite familiar, it doesn't sound like a big hit to me, not a #1 anyway. I still would have gone with "Nothing But Heartaches". That one has stood out most to my ears from More Hits, followed closely by "Mother Dear".

I don't know if "Nothing But Heartaches" should have hit #1, but I love it. It reminds me a lot of The Tops' "Something About You", the third single from the group's smash album, not quite making it as big as the first two singles, still as wonderful as ever though...

Maybe Motown couldn't even keep up with Motown any more

I adore I’m In Love Again but never thought of it as single material. Now, after consideration, I’m certain it was not single material - it doesn’t go anywhere, lovely as it is. Diana’s vocal is superb and truly makes the most if the simple, undemanding song, but I don’t think it would hold an audience and I think program directors would not spin it willfully. I’m surprised nothing but hard eggs didn’t do better, but I still think it was the best choice on the album for the third single. I’ve never considered mother dear anything but an album track, and I don’t think any of the versions of it would’ve done anything. I think it would be their first record to miss the top 20 or top 30.

Nothing But Heartaches is a very good record, but breaks no new ground and is more roucous than most if the others except Back - which was only number one for one week. Also, it cane out with the album, so that cut in on 45 sales. Structure wise, it has several negs: a weak, throw-away intro, a rather dull melody on the verse, no break, no build, no payoff it just repeats the same, plain melody over and over. The chorus is sublime call and response perfection with an infection melody and Ross’ best vocal yet. Mary and Flo are in full voice and add their bright, perfect blend to Ross’ grounded read. Really, her forte was that she could make a silk purse out of a sows ear, it’s this one that best shows her amazing ability to bring life to a song that us rarely covered.

It went top top ten in cash box and record world, so it got more sales than airplay points.

I have always thought it was a great song but I'm not sure it would have gone into the Top 10 - however it was very different and had a different Ross sound.

It seems to me if there had been some playing with the mix of Nothing But Heartaches, it might have done better. However, the British sound was in full flight when Heartaches was released and I've always heard it said there was a lot of competition then.

In addition, you don't stay on top and at #1 forever - there is always a look for the next sound, the new sound.

In retrospect, to me of all those first 5 songs, Baby Love now sounds the weakest but it was a huge hit and it really opened up Motown to the world. Where Did Our Love Go is so simple a song that it can't be done live without sounding awful - but the single has held up so well as has Stop in the Name of Love of course.
    Last edited by jobeterob; 04-01-2019 at 07:01 PM.

Has NBH ever been performed live by any group of Supremes post Diana? Or RTL?

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    I'm in Love Again sound like another decent R&B/pop charter for them but I do think something like Mother Dear would've still been better to chart at the top or near the top but IILA definitely sounds like it could have a fight for #1. The Supremes and HDH were a match made in heaven at this point.
    Aside from the fact that I never cared for the first version of MD, I think it had so much of what the Supremes had already hit with, that if people were already wanting something different from the group, "Mother Dear" wasn't going to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    haha - sorry forgot to address the question at hand

I'm In Love Again is a great song. But ballads are tough to get huge appeal with. I think it would have done ok but i don't think it would have been a #1 either. Might have gone low in the top 10s.

Symphony is a similar beat and speed but offers so much more. a totally new approach with the key changes, the gorgeous symphonic backing track.
    Symphony is actually a bit of a faster pace than "In Love Again", so it would make sense that "Symphony" might capture the attention in a way the slower paced "In Love" would not.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    I just listened to "I'm In Love Again" for the first time in my life
    And you call yourself a Supremes fan?? Have you even ever heard of Diana Ross, Florence Ballard and Mary Wilson?

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Has NBH ever been performed live by any group of Supremes post Diana? Or RTL?
    I read in this forum that the RTL Supremes did it and that there's footage of it but I still haven't seen it. Heard the same about "Forever Came Today" too.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I read in this forum that the RTL Supremes did it and that there's footage of it but I still haven't seen it. Heard the same about "Forever Came Today" too.
    Re "I'm in Love Again," it has been a fave of mine since I first heard it on the MORE HITS album. I always enjoy hearing Diana's lower register and this song was a great display of it. That said, I don't think it is single material and highly doubt it would reached #1. It was a change for sure, but not really danceable as I think most of their hits had been to that point. Not to mention, considering Motown's tendency to "Broadway-ize" their concert arrangements, it might have been a dud in performance.

Re "Forever Came Today," it was definitely performed during one of the RTL shows. To my knowledge, three RTL shows were filmed and bootlegged. "Forever" was done during one of them.
    Last edited by reese; 04-01-2019 at 03:45 PM.

These 10 songs were in front of Nothing But Heartaches the week it peaked:

Help!
    The Beatles

LAST WEEK

PEAK POSITION

WEEKS ON CHART

Like A Rolling Stone
    Bob Dylan

LAST WEEK

PEAK POSITION

WEEKS ON CHART

California Girls
    The Beach Boys

LAST WEEK

PEAK POSITION

WEEKS ON CHART

Unchained Melody
    The Righteous Brothers

LAST WEEK

PEAK POSITION

WEEKS ON CHART

It's The Same Old Song
    Four Tops

LAST WEEK

PEAK POSITION

WEEKS ON CHART

I Got You Babe
    Sonny & Cher

LAST WEEK

PEAK POSITION

WEEKS ON CHART

You Were On My Mind
    We Five

LAST WEEK

PEAK POSITION

WEEKS ON CHART

Papa's Got A Brand New Bag [[Part I)
    James Brown And The Famous Flames

LAST WEEK

PEAK POSITION

WEEKS ON CHART

Eve Of Destruction
    Barry McGuire

LAST WEEK

PEAK POSITION

WEEKS ON CHART

Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me
    Mel Carter

LAST WEEK

PEAK POSITION

WEEKS ON CHART

I don’t think “I’m In Love Again” would have charted very well. It wouldn’t have made the top 30. It doesn’t stand out to me as a strong track and kind of drags. I usually skip over it when I listen to More Hits. To me, “Whisper You Love Me Boy” had potential as an A-side. “Whisper” was a much stronger track, but given that it didn’t have the roar of “Stop!,” and “Back In My Arms Again” and was more of a throwback to the lighter fare it may not have gone to number one. Definitely a top 20 hit, possibly top 10.
    Last edited by bradsupremes; 04-01-2019 at 07:41 PM.

Didn’t Eve of Destruction hit -# 1 ?

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Didn’t Eve of Destruction hit -# 1 ?
    Yes, it did.

If Nothing But Heartaches hit #1 and then I hear A Symphony [[which did hit #1, of course), would Children's Christmas Song break their #1 streak or would it not count because it hit on the Holiday chart? And if it DID count, would Motown have held back from releasing a Christmas single that year?

Also, Children's Christmas Song hit #7 on the Billboard Holiday Chart in 1965, while the B-side, Twinkle Twinkle Little Me hit at #5 [[1965), #26 [[1966) and #10 [[1967).

Maybe a little too subtle to be a hit single, but I'M IN LOVE AGAIN is a great record if your favorite instrument is the tambourine.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 04-02-2019 at 05:04 AM.

NBH was performed at least once during RTL, in Houston. It was the song requested when Diana asked which songs the audience wanted to hear. I saw the show a second time and it wasn’t performed...

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    These 10 songs were in front of Nothing But Heartaches the week it peaked:
    A couple of those songs I'm unfamiliar with, but it does mostly illustrate the strength of the ten that week.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    I don’t think “I’m In Love Again” would have charted very well. It wouldn’t have made the top 30. It doesn’t stand out to me as a strong track and kind of drags. I usually skip over it when I listen to More Hits. To me, “Whisper You Love Me Boy” had potential as an A-side. “Whisper” was a much stronger track, but given that it didn’t have the roar of “Stop!,” and “Back In My Arms Again” and was more of a throwback to the lighter fare it may not have gone to number one. Definitely a top 20 hit, possibly top 10.
    I LOVE me some "Whisper" but I can't hear it as an A side, particularly mixed in with the first five number ones.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_raven View Post
    If Nothing But Heartaches hit #1 and then I hear A Symphony [[which did hit #1, of course), would Children's Christmas Song break their #1 streak or would it not count because it hit on the Holiday chart? And if it DID count, would Motown have held back from releasing a Christmas single that year?

Also, Children's Christmas Song hit #7 on the Billboard Holiday Chart in 1965, while the B-side, Twinkle Twinkle Little Me hit at #5 [[1965), #26 [[1966) and #10 [[1967).
    I assume that it wouldn't be counted since it's top 10 Holiday spot [[as well as that of "Twinkle") isn't usually recorded among the group's hit singles. Interesting that "Children's Christmas Song" was the single chosen from the album when I think the consensus among fans is that there are better songs to be found, namely "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Me", which obviously radio felt the same since they dug it out three years in a row over "Children's".

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Re "Forever Came Today," it was definitely performed during one of the RTL shows. To my knowledge, three RTL shows were filmed and bootlegged. "Forever" was done during one of them.
    Well I hope "Forever" resurfaces on Youtube.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
    NBH was performed at least once during RTL, in Houston. It was the song requested when Diana asked which songs the audience wanted to hear. I saw the show a second time and it wasn’t performed...
    Hope it surfaces. That will be nice to see.

I have always loved 'Nothing But Heartaches' which totally bombed in the UK as did 'My World.....' and 'Itching'. 'Arms' & 'Symphony' didn't fair much better peaking at #'s 40 & 39 respectively! Their unbroken run of hits only began from 'Hurry'! Anyway IMHO the only other track that may have been a bigger hit is 'Who Could Ever Doubt My Love' with a more beefy arrangement.

I never considered I'm In Love Again as an A-side single release, as it was the B-side of Stop! In the Name of Love.
    It's an interesting idea, though.
    I've always loved the song and Diana's performance. It would have been quite a contrast to the previous five singles and I can imagine a scenario where deejays and fans would love it for that and make it a hit. How great if it had been a #1, followed by I Hear A Symphony. The Supremes would then have had 7 consecutive #1s. Realistically, I don't think it would have been exciting enough to make it to #1, especially considering the competition in the Top Ten listed in a previous post on this thread. I feel the same way about Nothing But Heartaches, Mother Dear, Whisper You Love Me and Who Could Ever Doubt My Love. I love all of them and think any of them could have been Top Ten pop hits, but not #1. I do think a polished version of the extended Nothing But Heartaches [[with that great instrumental break intact) would have had the best chance of reaching the top spot.

I'm In Love Again is in my top 20 of DRAT's Supremes songs....[[it would have definitely suited Jeans style) I don't think it was "A" side material though...same for Ask Any Girl and Always in My Heart...nice turn the record over and hear the group sing something a bit different. I am too young to remember radio at the time, but I hate the 45 mix of Heartaches...ditto You Cant Hurry Love. I had the 1967 2 LP hits set before I had the singles, so I was used to the big fat sounding mixes on that LP. Mother Dear would have been more of the same, Who Could Ever Doubt My Love would've been the departure selection for another single. More Hits was the 2nd back catalogue LP I had... played the hell out of it...My first was WDOLG?...I was spending my money on the TCB onward current releases when I became a fan. Some of the LP's were already harder to find..WDOLG? Copa, Symphony and A GO GO seemed to pretty much be in stock everywhere...More Hits/ R&H/ HDH and Reflections took a bit of searching in 1969 in my neck of the woods. Forget about Meet, Liverpool and Sam Cooke...they were never in my local stores, even the vast record depts in department stores didn't carry them. Of all the B sides, the only one that stands out as a could have been super hit to me is He's All I Got for the DRATS....from the Jean years Shine On Me...reminds me of the type of psych/soul music we could have gotten had the New Supremes worked with Norman Whitfield.

The strongest songs from MORE HITS are NOTHING BUT HEARTACHES, MOTHER DEAR, THE ONLY TIME I'M HAPPY, WHO COULD EVER DOUBT MY LOVE, [[I'M SO GLAD) HEARTACHES DON'T LAST ALWAYS.

I always thought "I'm In Love Again" sounded laboured and was nothing more than a b-side. "Who Could Ever Doubt My Love" would have been a better choice but still would not have been as commercial as "Nothing But Heartaches".

A couple of those songs I'm unfamiliar with, but it does mostly illustrate the strength of the ten that week.
    It would be interesting to know what songs you were unfamiliar with?? Hold Me Kiss Me Thrill and You Were On My Mind??

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    It would be interesting to know what songs you were unfamiliar with?? Hold Me Kiss Me Thrill and You Were On My Mind??
    I know "Hold Me", even though I didn't know who sang it. Yeah, I've never heard "You Were On My Mind" until I just looked it up. That was getting more spins than "Heartaches"? Yikes! I never heard of the Bob Dylan song or "Eve of Destruction". But everything else I knew.

i liked Im In Love Again and thought it was one of better tracks.but the whole album was good.
    I still would have went with Heartaches, a little more PR it may have hit. but at the time they did a few shows where they sanf Youre Nobodu till. bad mistake
    Last edited by daviddh; 04-03-2019 at 05:51 PM.

I'm In Love Again was the B side to Stop. and quite a few people on here have stated it was only an ok song.

So do you have a preferred flip song to Stop?

Some of the tracks on More Hits that weren't used were:
    Honey Boy
    The Only Time I'm Happy [[aside from the Interview 45)
    Who Could Ever Doubt My Love
    I'm So Glad Heartaches

I'd vote for I'm So Glad

"I'm In Love Again" is in my top 10 DRATS songs - I love it. Having been issued as a b' it wouldn't have hit but it reminds me a little of "What Becomes Of The Brokenhearted" which leads me to believe that under different circumstances it could have stood a chance. I like the backing vocals too.

And you call yourself a Supremes fan?? Have you even ever heard of Diana Ross, Florence Ballard and Mary Wilson?
    Is that the only part of my incredibly detailed and well-thought out post you have decided to reply to? And you call yourself a member of this forum?

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    I'm In Love Again was the B side to Stop. and quite a few people on here have stated it was only an ok song.

So do you have a preferred flip song to Stop?

Some of the tracks on More Hits that weren't used were:
    Honey Boy
    The Only Time I'm Happy [[aside from the Interview 45)
    Who Could Ever Doubt My Love
    I'm So Glad Heartaches

I'd vote for I'm So Glad
    I don't object to I'M IN LOVE AGAIN. But if they didn't use that one, they could have gone back to the previous album [[WHERE DID OUR LOVE GO) and used YOUR KISS OF FIRE as the b-side.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Is that the only part of my incredibly detailed and well-thought out post you have decided to reply to? And you call yourself a member of this forum?
    It was the only part of your post worth responding to.

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    I have always loved 'Nothing But Heartaches' which totally bombed in the UK as did 'My World.....' and 'Itching'. 'Arms' & 'Symphony' didn't fair much better peaking at #'s 40 & 39 respectively! Their unbroken run of hits only began from 'Hurry'! Anyway IMHO the only other track that may have been a bigger hit is 'Who Could Ever Doubt My Love' with a more beefy arrangement.

Hate to have to say this , but my reaction to this is , "where are the Andantes when you need them?" . Actually it may be more of an issue of misused back-up singing, imo, emphasizing the same one line over and over on top of Diana, at an ear hurting pitch. Unnecessary , so more annoying than purposeful, imo.

While I'm at it , don't despair , count your blessings Diana , when someone doesn't trust you unreasonably like this , moving on is the best , safest, most trouble-free, scenario.

Nice musicanship, arranging.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 04-04-2019 at 12:51 PM.

Wasn't Who Could Ever Doubt My Love? pulled for the B side of the ...I Hear A Symphony 45? I'm In Love Again has a very meaningful and emotional lyric...[[come to think of it...it reminds me of What Becomes of The Broken Hearted?) I love DR's controlled vocal....and as someone mentioned before, her lower pitch tone is great. She doesn't go over the top...she just sounds grateful and relieved...she ain't jumpin' for joy!

although they occasionally made some last min changes to the b side, i've not heard that WCEDML was to be the flip of Symphony.

Except for a very select few, I don't have my Supremes singles anymore...had everything from Lovelight up to Bad Weather...but I am fairly positive WCEDML was indeed Symphony's B side....15 years ago I would have been able to recite every release A&B side, in issue order....60 ain't the new 30..believe me! [[the only single I never owned '63 - '74 was Back In My Arms Again..it just never came my way!)
    Last edited by gman; 04-05-2019 at 04:56 PM. Reason: spelling