Touch
    HDH
    More Hits
    Mary Scherrie Susaye
    New Ways
    Copa
    Hits
    Jimmy Webb - kinda growing on me

I was going to try to do my 10 favs in order but that turned out to be a disaster, so I'll just go chronologically:

Meet the Supremes
    WDOLG
    We Remember Sam Cooke
    Country Western Pop
    A Go Go
    Love Child
    Join the Tempts
    Let the Sunshine In
    Touch
    Floy Joy

Now if compilations are allowed to be included, my list will look a bit different:

Meet the Supremes
    WDOLG
    We Remember Sam Cooke
    Country Western Pop
    Love Child
    Let the Sunshine In
    Touch
    Floy Joy
    25th Anniversary
    Never Before Released Masters

What about we also rank order them? What's your #1 - 10 albums?

1. Where did our love go
    2. Sing R&H
    3. MS&S
    4. Sam Cooke
    5. Right On
    6. More hits
    7. Symphony
    8. Floy Joy
    9. There's a place
    10. 2014 version of Funny Girl with on DMC

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    What about we also rank order them? What's your #1 - 10 albums?
    I tried and it was impossible, which is why I went with the chronological list instead.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I was going to try to do my 10 favs in order but that turned out to be a disaster, so I'll just go chronologically:

Meet the Supremes
    WDOLG
    We Remember Sam Cooke
    Country Western Pop
    A Go Go
    Love Child
    Join the Tempts
    Let the Sunshine In
    Touch
    Floy Joy
    RanRan, there appears to be a mistake with your post: for some reason Country, Western & Pop has appeared on your list. Must be some technical fault; I'd get it checked out with Ralph and Lowell.

More Hits
    Where Did Our Love Go
    Join the Temptations
    Love Child
    Sing HDH
    Right On
    Touch
    A Go Go
    Reflections
    I Hear a Symphony

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    RanRan, there appears to be a mistake with your post: for some reason Country, Western & Pop has appeared on your list. Must be some technical fault; I'd get it checked out with Ralph and Lowell.
    No mistake my friend. I love that album. Some of their best singing is contained there and ultimately that's why I'm a fan of the Supremes: the voices.

No mistake my friend. I love that album. Some of their best singing is contained there and ultimately that's why I'm a fan of the Supremes: the voices.
    More Hits
    Rogers And Hart
    Holland Dozier Holland
    Love Child
    Farewell
    Talk Of The Town
    Where Did Our Love Go
    I Hear A Symphony
    Join The Temptations
    A Go Go

I forgot Funny Girl!! I’m probably the only fan who loves that album! Revised list:

More Hits
    Rogers And Hart
    Holland Dozier Holland
    Funny Girl
    Love Child
    Farewell
    Talk Of The Town
    Where Did Our Love Go
    I Hear A Symphony
    Join The Temptations

By my not-very-scholarly statistical evaluation, with just the 12 lists posted so far, the consensus top ten albums would be:
    1. More Hits - 8.5 points on 11 lists
    2. WDOLG - 7.3 points on 11 lists
    3. Love Child - 6.5 points on 10 lists
    4. Rodgers & Hart - 6.5 points on 8 lists
    5. HDH - 5.9 points on 10 lists
    6. Go Go - 5.2 points on 6 lists
    7. Right On - 4.9 points on 7 lists
    8. Touch - 4.4 points on 9 lists
    9. IHAS - 4.4 points on 5 lists
    10. Reflections - 3.8 points on 5 lists

Honorable mentions: NWBLS - 3.0 points on 5 lists
    Floy Joy - 3.3 points on 4 lists

I just considered albums on four or more lists, assigning points based on rankings on the lists. RanRan, being the outlier he always is, didn't rank his so I gave his albums equal points.

Too much wasted [[but fun) time on my hands this morning. This will all be obliterated with the next posted list in this thread.

^lol very scholarly! No one could ever accuse Sup fans of not being thorough

To keep the great posts going:

What if you could make ONE change per lp? and if the lp is perfect, then ok. What changes would your make:

Meet & Where - frankly i couldn't change much if anything based on the unreleased material we've already received. I'd maybe like more sharing of the leads and spotlight but since there really isn't much other wonderful material besides what was released, then i'd leave as is

Liverpool - add I Saw Him Standing there

More - would have not included Ask Any Girl and replaced with Remove This Doubt

Symphony - shared leads on Unchained Melody

Merry Christmas - include Mary's Christmas Song

A Go Go - Flo lead on Hang on Sloopy or maybe Boots. But i think she could have done better on Sloopy

Sing HDH - the unreleased version of Heatwave

R&H - flo doing lead on Johnny One Note and included on lp

New Ways - replace Na Na with Life Beats

Jimmy Webb - leave in the can lolol

High Energy - replace I Don't Want to Love you and replace with Can We Love Again

Quote Originally Posted by lucky2012 View Post

I just considered albums on four or more lists, assigning points based on rankings on the lists. RanRan, being the outlier he always is, didn't rank his so I gave his albums equal points.
    Ha! But hey, what can I say? The fact that I even managed to do 10 albums at all is amazing.

^lol very scholarly! No one could ever accuse Sup fans of not being thorough

To keep the great posts going:

What if you could make ONE change per lp? and if the lp is perfect, then ok. What changes would your make:

Meet & Where - frankly i couldn't change much if anything based on the unreleased material we've already received. I'd maybe like more sharing of the leads and spotlight but since there really isn't much other wonderful material besides what was released, then i'd leave as is

Liverpool - add I Saw Him Standing there

More - would have not included Ask Any Girl and replaced with Remove This Doubt

Symphony - shared leads on Unchained Melody

Merry Christmas - include Mary's Christmas Song

A Go Go - Flo lead on Hang on Sloopy or maybe Boots. But i think she could have done better on Sloopy

Sing HDH - the unreleased version of Heatwave

R&H - flo doing lead on Johnny One Note and included on lp

New Ways - replace Na Na with Life Beats

Jimmy Webb - leave in the can lolol

High Energy - replace I Don't Want to Love you and replace with Can We Love Again
    Sup fan I'm going to copy and paste your post into a separate thread, hoping you don't mind. After the Diana birthday overkill of threads regarding every little thing about it [["Diana Ross Showed Up to Her Birthday Party", "Diana Ross Turned 75 On Her 75th Birthday", "Diana Ross Wore Clothes and Shoes to Her Birthday Party", "Diana Ross' Eyes Were Brown During Her Bday Party", etc), we need to see some more music related topics. Anyway, let me know if you object and I'll delete the new thread.

Right On
    Meet
    Jimmy Webb
    A go go
    High Energy
    HDH
    Farewell
    Copa
    New Ways
    The Supremes [[1975)

Sup fan I'm going to copy and paste your post into a separate thread, hoping you don't mind. After the Diana birthday overkill of threads regarding every little thing about it [["Diana Ross Showed Up to Her Birthday Party", "Diana Ross Turned 75 On Her 75th Birthday", "Diana Ross Wore Clothes and Shoes to Her Birthday Party", "Diana Ross' Eyes Were Brown During Her Bday Party", etc), we need to see some more music related topics. Anyway, let me know if you object and I'll delete the new thread.
    no problem

wow some votes for Go Go and Webb. ok for me but im tryn to like them.

Touch
    High Energy
    WDOLG?
    CW&P
    HDH
    Reflections [[but only side 1 actually! I love the 3 non singles cuts)
    Talk of The Town
    Floy Joy
    Join
    MS&S

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    I couldn't even begin to compile mine David. It is just too tough a task. I am equally perplexed that anyone could like the ghastly Jimmy Webb mess of an album, but it is different strokes for different folks, and that is what makes this forum so fascinating. It is good to see the splendid Right On getting a few votes.

I loved A Go Go when I first bought it and then it sank down my list of favorites. It was the expanded edition that kicked it back up. It was like I was hearing it for the first time all over again. I still have some criticisms for the album, but I'd be lying if I said it's not one I play often these days.

I'm not a fan of the JW album, but I can understand how it holds some appeal for some fans. There is some good singing to be found on it.

I think Touch and CW&P are the most under rated LP'S in the Supremes cannon. Even Liverpool has some wonderful harmony work.. Talk of The Town is my "go to" Live LP. I hate the Copa band [[way too much clarinet, and brass use in general....and not enough strings.) I have at least 5 live at the Copa LP's, and the only one I like is Bobby Vinton's....he was also a skilled band leader and managed to record an LP there that does not sound like a bar-mitzvah band is accompanying him...[[I haven't heard Marvin's. I was afraid to buy it! I love the song line up)

i actually don't think they had a string section at the Copa. at least for 65. need to listen to the Sing HDH EE and hear if they added one for the 67 performance.

For the Roostertail set on the IHAS EE they didn't have a string section. i do really like when they have the bigger orchestra behind them but i guess it depended on the venue and all. it would be challenging with 1-nighters to pull that off

CWP is a strong lp in some ways. the 3 part harmonies are incredible - especially on Lazy Bones. it's a great opportunity for fans to really experience the magic of the girls. I do believe it needs to be taken with a grain of salt though. the similar album by Ray Charles holds up better because a more thoughtful approach was taken to the overall productions and the recordings are just stronger. So for a casual listener, CWP might be a bit challenging. But for fans, it's a great way to explore the talent and development of the group

My top ten would include:
    [[1) High Energy - LOVE THAT RECORD!
    [[2) More Hits
    [[3) Love Child
    [[4) Let The Sun Shine In
    [[5) Where Did Our Love Go
    [[6) Floy Joy
    [[7) New Ways But Love Stays
    [[8) Touch
    [[9) Cream of The Crop
    [[10 ) I Hear A Symphony

I love most of the post-Diana Supremes albums. High Energy is probably the one I have played most through the years.

Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    I think Touch and CW&P are the most under rated LP'S in the Supremes cannon. Even Liverpool has some wonderful harmony work.. Talk of The Town is my "go to" Live LP. I hate the Copa band [[way too much clarinet, and brass use in general....and not enough strings.) I have at least 5 live at the Copa LP's, and the only one I like is Bobby Vinton's....he was also a skilled band leader and managed to record an LP there that does not sound like a bar-mitzvah band is accompanying him...[[I haven't heard Marvin's. I was afraid to buy it! I love the song line up)
    I'm not a fan of the Copa album either. Talk of the Town and Farewell I like much better. The Roostertail "album" is also very good. I prefer it to Talk of the Town.

I agree about Touch and the country album. I would add to that Floy Joy. FJ contains some of Jean's best vocal work IMO. It shows her versatility. For most of those songs she's in this light mode and I think she wears it well. Not that I'm one of these people who thinks Jean over sings [[what is that?) or does too much. I love when Jean lets loose. Love it. But she doesn't really do that too much under Smokey's direction...and when you consider the way he often produced female vocalists like Mary Wells and Wanda, going for a mostly smooth, cool approach, I see that same kind of spirit behind what he did with Jean and I think it makes for some great vocals. And it would be negligent for me not to mention Mary on "A Heart Like Mine", my favorite Mary Supremes lead vocal, and "Automatically Sunshine". Mary Wilson's voice seems a good match for Smokey productions, had he concentrated more on her.

Smokey is not a great big belter himself....he goes for emotional impact though lyrics and phrasing, in his productions with other artists as well. Not big on the power singing stuff....we may never see Streisand Sings Smokey.
    Last edited by gman; 04-04-2019 at 04:48 AM.

I agree - Jean's versatility was amazing. When she let it rip on songs, it was stunning. Sometimes

I felt that on some of the bootleg live albums i have, Jean would get so into ad libbing and rifs that she'd often neglect the melody. or key points in the song/composition when there needed to be perfect synchronization among the vocal parts. On Stoned Love i absolutely love the end of the bridge where they sing "on and on and on and on" in 3 part harmony. yet so often during the live performance, jean would be rambling on w ad libs and stuff. That should always have been a moment when jean, holding her hand mic, moved next to or in between M and C and the 3 girls should have really stood there and wailed in perfect 3 part harmony. it's a magic moment on vinyl that was often lost live

On her soft and restrained vocals - I Guess, much of the FJ set, Love it Came To Me This Time, i'll Let Him Know I Love Him - she's hypnotic and stunning. On big songs where she could really do vocal gymnastics [[Bad Weather, Oh Happy Day) she's amazing. The key though is knowing when to do which

I mean, I'm a fan of The Supremes for their voices, but not to hear them sing "Tumbling Tumbleweeds" or "Lazy Bones" or whatever else Motown came up with for that, IMO, throwaway album. It's probably my least favourite Supremes LP.

But of course we will agree to disagree! And don't worry RanRan, I'll let you and the man with the rock and roll banjo band jam until your heart's content.

I agree - Jean's versatility was amazing. When she let it rip on songs, it was stunning. Sometimes

I felt that on some of the bootleg live albums i have, Jean would get so into ad libbing and rifs that she'd often neglect the melody. or key points in the song/composition when there needed to be perfect synchronization among the vocal parts. On Stoned Love i absolutely love the end of the bridge where they sing "on and on and on and on" in 3 part harmony. yet so often during the live performance, jean would be rambling on w ad libs and stuff. That should always have been a moment when jean, holding her hand mic, moved next to or in between M and C and the 3 girls should have really stood there and wailed in perfect 3 part harmony. it's a magic moment on vinyl that was often lost live

On her soft and restrained vocals - I Guess, much of the FJ set, Love it Came To Me This Time, i'll Let Him Know I Love Him - she's hypnotic and stunning. On big songs where she could really do vocal gymnastics [[Bad Weather, Oh Happy Day) she's amazing. The key though is knowing when to do which
    Definitely agree on all your points.

I wish she let loose even more on Love Train!

Country music is one of the big "Fish" of the music industry...like the food FISH...most folks know if they either love it or hate it...same w/ classical and jazz...I don't take Tumblin' Tumbleweeds too seriously. it is the most Western of the songs on the LP....I like Diana's vocal better than the loud and overpowering BG work on it. [[I assume that is all 3 in the BG...you can hear both Flo and DR)..she sings most of the lines very well [["Here on the ranch I belong")....I like country music from 60's - late 80's. I love country-soul...the previously mentioned Ray Charles LP and its follow up, Nat King Coles and Brook Bentons country flavored LPs, and Millie Jacksons got a bunch of country soul cuts on her LPS....Country Western and Pop is actually song for song more a RnB LP....the real disasters on the earliest LP's for me is most of Meet The's early tracks, How Do You Do It [[where's Mickey and Minnie???...LOL) and Can't Buy Me Love.

How Do You Do It [[where's Mickey and Minnie???...LOL)
    ...or Theodore, Simon and ALVIN!!!! lol

The worst song to open the Liverpool album. You Can't Do That would have been my pick.

Liverpool has some great harmony moments....of course, my introduction to it was having A Hard Days Night on Anthology. It was a very hard LP to find by 1969 and I managed to get a sealed, big outer box packaging 8 track tape of it in a close out bin around 1975. I actually thought the tape was defective when the vocals started on How Do You Do It!....World Without Love & You Can't Do That are great. I like House of The Rising Sun and Bits and Pieces, they show a bit more freestyle harmony. You've Really Got a Hold On Me was one of my fav songs, but I don't like this version. Seems like a warm up for what could have been a better finished cut...and I had never heard Do You Love Me before I got the tape. I just remember thinking this really sounds like a Four Tops song. In 1978 I paid $20 for a low grade VG mono copy with a pretty edge worn cover in one of NYC's moderate priced collectors stores...the 2 biggest name collectors shops were asking $60 for both this and the Sam Cooke LP an $75 for CW&P & 2nd cover Meet The..at the time....I thank God ebay came along.

Smokey is not a great big belter himself....he goes for emotional impact though lyrics and phrasing, in his productions with other artists as well. Not big on the power singing stuff....we may never see Streisand Sings Smokey.
    Excellent point!

Another underrated Jean performance is "Have I Lost You".

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    I mean, I'm a fan of The Supremes for their voices, but not to hear them sing "Tumbling Tumbleweeds" or "Lazy Bones" or whatever else Motown came up with for that, IMO, throwaway album. It's probably my least favourite Supremes LP.

But of course we will agree to disagree! And don't worry RanRan, I'll let you and the man with the rock and roll banjo band jam until your heart's content.
    I suspect Country music isn't your cup of tea? I love it so the Supremes doing it works just fine for my taste. I get "Tumbleweeds", but you really don't like "Lazy Bones"? The girls do some great harmony there.

Liverpool has some great harmony moments....of course, my introduction to it was having A Hard Days Night on Anthology. It was a very hard LP to find by 1969 and I managed to get a sealed, big outer box packaging 8 track tape of it in a close out bin around 1975. I actually thought the tape was defective when the vocals started on How Do You Do It!....World Without Love & You Can't Do That are great. I like House of The Rising Sun and Bits and Pieces, they show a bit more freestyle harmony. You've Really Got a Hold On Me was one of my fav songs, but I don't like this version. Seems like a warm up for what could have been a better finished cut...and I had never heard Do You Love Me before I got the tape. I just remember thinking this really sounds like a Four Tops song. In 1978 I paid $20 for a low grade VG mono copy with a pretty edge worn cover in one of NYC's moderate priced collectors stores...the 2 biggest name collectors shops were asking $60 for both this and the Sam Cooke LP an $75 for CW&P & 2nd cover Meet The..at the time....I thank God ebay came along.
    Yeah, Liverpool is not a bad album vocally. Most of my criticism is about the backing tracks. I think the Funks would've had a great time funkin up those British songs. "Do You Love Me" and "You've Really Got a Hold On Me" could've been recorded [[with the Funks) for something else. They could've put "I Saw Him Standing There" and something else in it's places. But vocally there are definitely some wonderful moments. I love Diana's vocal on "You Can't Do That". The girls sound real good on "Rising Sun", but I would rather Florence had done the entire lead. I play "Because" quite often, probably more than anything else on the album. It just all could've been so much better.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    I wish she let loose even more on Love Train!
    exactly! that's a song that calls for a big ending.

IMO CWP and Liverpool are, today, really just records for significant fans. a casual listener is probably not going to be impressed due to the overall production. sure there are some moments that are fine. But as fans, we can overlook some of the minor issues to appreciate some key elements - like the three part harmony. perhaps if there'd been more of this throughout all of their output and if M and F had had a more prominent role, today we'd have more 3-part work available. but it's sort of a "have to make due with what we have" situation. The talent of the 3 girls is undeniable.

Another underrated Jean performance is "Have I Lost You".
    In my top 10 JT lead vocal tracks...along with Then We Can Try Again, 5.30 Plane and over and Over.

I just got a 2nd hand CD recorder....I cant wait to make my own CDs again

Weren't some of the tracks used for CW&P set for the Ballards and Blues LP? I know in discussion folks often group this LP and Liverpool together as messes, while CW&P's production may not be to everyone's taste, it sounds professional...Liverpool sounds like a plain stomp out. Even taking into consideration it's aimed at a very young audience, it sounds like a rush job...thankfully the entire LP isn't horrible....who knew for sure at the time the Beatles wouldn't be over with in 6 months once the initial fever wore off? And the Supremes only had 2.5 hits at the time...and none when the sessions for CW&P were recorded. One was probably planned [[ABOL) to capitalize on the success of a current trend, and the other [[CW&P) retitled w/ a few more suitable songs added to identify it with a style other black recording artist's [[Charles, NK Cole & Benton) fairly recently had big sales and mainstream success with.
    I like Clarence Paul's productions...there's something down to earth about them that make me wish he would have worked with Jean
    Last edited by gman; 04-06-2019 at 06:48 AM.

i like the country album but would have released it as Meet the Supremes. or left it as Ballads n Blues

i like the country album but would have released it as Meet the Supremes. or left it as Ballads n Blues
    A few tracks may have indeed been on a UK issue called Meet The Supremes....I had it about 45 years ago...it was a mash up of cuts from the US Meet and WDOLG Lp's primarily...and not good selection if I remember right...IMO the US WDOLG Lp was a masterpiece...It couldn't have been sequenced any better...