[REMOVE ADS]

Marvin Gaye USPS Forever Stamp to be released on April 2, 2019

It was mentioned in this article about the Forever Stamp being released next Tuesday.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...um/3302142002/

Also covered in this Ebony article.

https://www.ebony.com/entertainment/...oward-theatre/
    Last edited by woodward; 03-29-2019 at 04:27 PM.

Why is the immortalized Marvin Gaye always has to be the "What's Going On" Marvin Gaye? For at least once, why not ever the "How Sweet It Is [[To Be Loved By You)" Marvin Gaye?

Quote Originally Posted by Ngroove View Post
    Why is the immortalized Marvin Gaye always has to be the "What's Going On" Marvin Gaye? For at least once, why not ever the "How Sweet It Is [[To Be Loved By You)" Marvin Gaye?
    Not iconic enough lol

I quite like how it is shown on the website as a single sleeve!

Being in the UK I had to register on the USPS website, no problem, added the stamp to my basket, about 8$, then went to complete purchase, we do not mail outside of the USA, why allow people from outside the USA to register?Name:  marvingayeuspsstampapr2019.jpg
Views: 717
Size:  51.8 KB

If anyone outside of the US would like a sheet and would reimburse me for the stamps & shipping I'd be happy to send some out, PM me.

BTW, there is also an option to get a special commemorative postmark described here: https://about.usps.com/postal-bullet...l/info_006.htm

It's also likely that once the stamp is released, USPS will sell some special items here: https://store.usps.com/store/results...ne/_/N-1j49vgd

Nice to see marvin honored.

By Kelly Taylor, FOX 11

Maybe you heard it through the grapevine.

Legendary singer Marvin Gaye was honored Tuesday with a commemorative stamp on what would have been his 80th birthday.

The U.S. Postal Service unveiled the stamp at the Greek Theatre in Los Angeles, which features the “Prince of Soul” inspired by historic photographs.

Gaye was one of the most influential music performers of his generation, helping to shape the sound of Motown in the 1960s and broaden the scope of R&B music in the 1970s.

The stamp pane is designed to resemble a vintage 45 RPM record sleeve. One side of the pane includes a brief biography about Gaye’s legacy and an image of a record peeking out of the sleeve.

“The Postal Service is honored to recognize Marvin Gaye, the Motown legend, with a stamp on his birthday in this venue that held a special place in his heart,'' said Gary R. Barksdale, USPS chief postal inspector. “Known as the 'Prince of Soul,' Gaye was a man whose timeless music was a true catalogue of human emotions that inspired, informed and entertained the world.''

His 1971 album “What’s Going On” was the first openly political album released by Motown and is widely considered one of the greatest recordings in the history of American popular music.

Motown Records founder Berry Gordy, singer Mary Wilson of The Supremes and singer Smokey Robinson, along with members of Gaye's family, were all in attendance at Tuesday's unveiling.

Elvis Presley and John Lennon have also been celebrated in the USPS' Music Icon series.

Last year, a bill naming the post office at 3585 South Vermont Avenue in South Los Angeles as the "Marvin Gaye Post Office" was signed into law by ...[the current guy in the White House].

Gaye was shot and killed by his father in 1984 following an altercation with his father after he intervened in an argument between his parents at their house in the West Adams district of Los Angeles.

He was 44.

http://www.fox35orlando.com/entertai...-80th-birthday

Hope they had pics!

I bought my stamps this morning at my local Post office and I love them

There are numerous other Marvin Gaye collectibles for sale by the USPS.

Check this out if interested.

https://store.usps.com/store/product...-gaye-S_586104

I got mine today.
    On the reverse side, they have a bigger picture of Marvin.
    On the wall of my study, I have a Temptations poster, so I put the big picture of Marvin in a plastic cover,
    and taped it to the Temptations poster. The way I figure it they all were in Studio A at the same period.

edafan

just got them. Nicely done. the front is very nice too.

but....... both of Marvin from the same era, one with a cap , one without ,.... ? ...its not as if this is a photo shoot....curious
    Attached Images Attached Images