[REMOVE ADS]

I'll Turn To Stone Question

As we know The Supremes recorded it first in April of 1966. Then the Four Tops recorded it July of 1966. How did the Four Tops perform at live before any studio version released. Because there wouldn't be a studio version released until January of 67. Kind of cool.

I don't know, but I do know that "I'll Turn to Stone" is one of my all-time favorite records. It was hugely popular in Detroit.

Interesting question - behind it I'm assuming is that the first released Four Tops version was the live one from the Roostertail on the Four Tops "Live!" album. Must be other examples where songs were performed live before official release. In this case, it might indicate that they thought it would be released as a single back then.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Interesting question - behind it I'm assuming is that the first released Four Tops version was the live one from the Roostertail on the Four Tops "Live!" album. Must be other examples where songs were performed live before official release. In this case, it might indicate that they thought it would be released as a single back then.
    I think you are right because Levi flubbed some of the words in the live version and caught himself by saying "and I almost blew it too....."

I don't have the 45 but wasn't "I'll Turn To Stone" the flip of a bigger hit 45?

Another one I can think of is Martha and the Vandellas were performing Love Bug Leave My Heart Alone while Betty Kelly was still in the group [[as proven on their live album), however the song wasn't released till after she was kicked out of the group.

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    I don't have the 45 but wasn't "I'll Turn To Stone" the flip of a bigger hit 45?
    Yes, motony, it was the flip of “7 Rooms Of Gloom."

Quote Originally Posted by mowest View Post
    Yes, motony, it was the flip of “7 Rooms Of Gloom."
    Which was strange in my opinion because "I'll Turn to Stone" was a much better recording.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Which was strange in my opinion because "I'll Turn to Stone" was a much better recording.
    While “7 Rooms” made it #10 on Billboard R&B and #14 on Billboard Pop, “I’ll Turn” hit #50 and #76 respectively. “I’ll Turn” should have been released as an A-side.

While “7 Rooms” made it #10 on Billboard R&B and #14 on Billboard Pop, “I’ll Turn” hit #50 and #76 respectively. “I’ll Turn” should have been released as an A-side.
    I totally agree Mowest. Since it was already released as the flip side to "7 Rooms of Gloom", I don't Motown could go back out to the radio stations to promote it as a new single which explains it's low chart rankings.

Sometimes a B-side can turn into an A-side. Case in point: Mary Wells’ “You Lost The Sweetest Boy” was the A-side which entered the Billboard chart on 9/28/63 and spent nine weeks on, peaking at #22. On 10/19/63 the flip, “What’s Easy For Two...” hit the chart and spent 17 weeks on, peaking at #29. Of course, the split airplay hurt both sides from moving higher. Both sides could have been Top Ten hits.

Sometimes a B-side can turn into an A-side. Case in point: Mary Wells’ “You Lost The Sweetest Boy” was the A-side which entered the Billboard chart on 9/28/63 and spent nine weeks on, peaking at #22. On 10/19/63 the flip, “What’s Easy For Two...” hit the chart and spent 17 weeks on, peaking at #29. Of course, the split airplay hurt both sides from moving higher. Both sides could have been Top Ten hits.
    I've heard of that happening several times. I can't remember the songs at this time, but it has happened where the B side became a huge hit.

Connie Francis and Brenda Lee both had several chart showings on multiple releases with both sides being plugged at the same time to different stations...seems both often alternated plugged sides with Teen Pop/ Ballard and let the programmers choose...and both made the top ten at least 1x with both sides simultaneously...Connie with Lipstick On Your Collar / Frankie in 1959 and Brenda with I'm Sorry / That's All You Gotta do in 1960. Seems more often it worked out the plugging of double sides hurt the chart positions. The only 2 examples I remember from my day where both sides got all the way to #1 with equal airplay are the Beatles Come Together/Something and Carole King It's Too Late/ I Feel The Earth Move

Examples of B sides becoming huge hits include "Green Onions" by Booker T and the MGs, "Slip Away" by Clarence Carter, "Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye" by Steam and "Maggie May" by Rod Stewart. Another one I can think of is "Keep on Dancing" by a group called the Gentrys. Chips Moman, the producer, needed a B side for a Gentrys record so he took their short recording of "Keep on Dancing" and repeated it in order to stretch the record out to the expected length of a single. That patched together B side ended up going to number 4 on the Billboard Hot 100.

Thank you Gman and Nothing But Soul.

Gloria Gaynor's "I Will Survive" famously started as the B-side to "Substitute" and the rest is history.

Dionne Warwick's DON'T MAKE ME OVER and ALFIE were both b-sides that were flipped over to become big hits.

I forgot about Substitute/ I Will Survive completely....Maggie May's "A" side was Reason to Believe....which became a major hit for Rod in a rerecorded independent release decades later, and I think I Don't Want To Talk About It was also first a B side for Rod. Dionne also charted both sides a few times...Wasn't Valley of The Dolls / I Say A Little Prayer one release? [[I cant be sure today) but I did have a 45 Go To Her[[?) by DW that had a killer upbeat B side Another Night...didn't several Martha & Vandella's singles get split airtime too? there were a whole bunch of good double sides by them.

Stevie Wonder’s « Fingertips » parts 1 & 2 had the A and B side after the latter got more airplays.
    Same with “I Don’t Know Why” b/w “My Cherie Amour”

The Miracles’ “You’ve really got a hold on me” started as a b side too

JB

Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    ...didn't several Martha & Vandella's singles get split airtime too? there were a whole bunch of good double sides by them.
    Yes, gman. You’ve Been In Love Too Long/Love [[Makes Me Do Foolish Things), I Promise To Wait My Love/Forget Me Not.

Yes, gman. You’ve Been In Love Too Long/Love [[Makes Me Do Foolish Things), I Promise To Wait My Love/Forget Me Not.
    Don't forget "Heat Wave"/"A Love Like Yours [[Don't Come Knocking Every Day)"!

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Don't forget "Heat Wave"/"A Love Like Yours [[Don't Come Knocking Every Day)"!
    You’re right sansradio. Even though it never appeared on the Billboard charts in its own right, “A Love Like Yours” became something of a “classic” and was covered by artists such as Dusty Springfield and Ike & Tina Turner.

You’re right sansradio. Even though it never appeared on the Billboard charts in its own right, “A Love Like Yours” became something of a “classic” and was covered by artists such as Dusty Springfield and Ike & Tina Turner.
    Surprisingly, Florence Henderson a.k.a. Carol Brady of "The Brady Bunch" also recorded "A Love Like Yours" almost as a very reverential hymn. It's surprisingly beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    Surprisingly, Florence Henderson a.k.a. Carol Brady of "The Brady Bunch" also recorded "A Love Like Yours" almost as a very reverential hymn. It's surprisingly beautiful.
    Not so surprising to me, WaitingWatching...Florence was a very capable [[and respected) singer before meeting Mike and the kids.

A four tops classic!

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Not so surprising to me, WaitingWatching...Florence was a very capable [[and respected) singer before meeting Mike and the kids.
    Ha, ha! I love it! Carol's back story and history! I just love that she would sing this Motown song.

I had no idea the Supremes recorded I'll Turn To Stone First...I always loved the song....for me, HEATWAVE is the disaster cut on that LP....I actually love the Supremes version of It's The Same Old Song more than the 4 Tops version...which I love, just not as much. There's something about the faster paced intro that seems to work...DR just "pounced" on it.