[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Diamonds

Diamonds

A pop music critic once wrote that even when reviewing a weak Diana Ross album, he [[or she) would almost always come across a hidden gem that would remind the listener of the artist behind the image.
    That made me think of my OMG moments with Diana Ross. I don’t mean the obvious ones: Ain’t No Mountain No Mountain High Enough [[album version)/The Boss/Missing You/those glorious Supremes hit singles.
    I’m thinking of the album tracks that literally and figuratively stopped me in my tracks.
    My [[not so brief) list would include:
    From DR 70: Dark Side of the World
    From EIE: I’m Still Waiting
    from Surrender: Reach Out [[I’ll Be There)
    from TMIM: Little Girl Blue/Medley:Brown Baby/Save The Children
    from DR 76: I Thought It Took A Little Time/Smile
    from BIM: Too Shy To Say/Come In From The Rain
    No One Gets The Prize/My Old Piano/One More Chance/Let’s Go Up/Summertime/It’s Hard For Me To Say/Change Of Heart/I Thought That We Were Still In Love/Not Over You Yet/Solitude [[from Blue) and I Love You [[for a Diana gem from this century, even if it’s already been over ten years ago).

EIE: Baby It's Love
    DR 76: And If You See Him [[or was that from Surrender?) Think so.

I always liked Did You Read The Morning Paper? from Surrender and Stone Liberty from LTISH, as far as LP tracks go

Hidden gems? Hmmm. I kind of think of the hidden gems as album cuts that originally didn't make much of an impact on me but then later seemed to come out of nowhere as if I had never heard it before. So my list would look like this:

"Aint No Sad Song"- when I first got EIE back in the late 90s I did not like this song at all. It wasn't until the last couple of years that I suddenly realized how great it is. I love the funky side of Ross.

"And If You See Him"- didn't like it the first time I heard it. Wasn't until the last two or so years that I finally saw the appeal. It's a fantastic cut.

"Sleepin"- [[although not just an album track) I didn't like this one either when I first heard it. Then about ten or so years ago I think when the LTISH expanded was released, I listened to the song and realized that for me it's one of the best Diana vocal performances ever. Horrible choice as a single, but her reading of the storyline and the emotion she puts into it...so serious. Gets me every time.

"After You"- it's been about a year or two since I really paid attention to how nice this cut is and is now one of my go to songs on the black album.

"Confide In Me"- not sure why I ignored this song for years, but I did until the last few years. Diana sounds so beautiful on it.

"Sparkle"- when it comes to The Boss album it's the uptempo numbers that grabbed me for most of the years I owned it, but then one day I really listened to "Sparkle" and was hooked. With a tweak I think it might have made a good single.

"Cryin My Heart Out for You"- I think I had the To Love Again album for a few years before I ever really gave this song my full attention. It's my favorite of the Masser tunes from this period.

"Still In Love" and "Anywhere You Run To"- I ignored these on an album I mostly ignored but in recent years I've come to really love them.

Quote Originally Posted by jim aka jtigre99 View Post
    I always liked Did You Read The Morning Paper? from Surrender and Stone Liberty from LTISH, as far as LP tracks go
    Yes, I love both of these.

No "Diana diamonds" list is complete without "You Were the One." It, in my estimation, is the quintessential missed Ross-hit opportunity.

"Didn't You Know [[You'd Have To Cry Sometime)" for me.

All great; mine would be 'Shine' from RHRNB