[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    … about Diana 80... It's actually an album I never play because honestly I'm not a fan of that Chic sound...The Boss is IMO the last great Diana album of her popular years. Not a bad song on it and vocally Diana is giving me what I need from her.
    I have to be in the mood for "that Chic sound". But when I am, I don't play the whole album, but rather a Nile Rodgers playlist that includes Upside Down, I'm Coming Out, My Old Piano, Give Up and Friend to Friend.
    Come to think of it, The Boss is indeed "the last great album of her popular years". I do occasionally play the whole album. My only quibble is that I think Sparkle goes on too long at the end.
    IMO Take Me Higher, Every Day Is a New Day and Red Hot Rhythm & Blues are Very Good if not Great albums from her "unpopular" years.

It's weird how some songs just stay in rotation while others go missing, despite initial success. "One Love In My Lifetime" was a top 10 r&b hit, but still today I don't think I've ever heard it on the radio and outside of this forum no one ever mentions it. "It's My House" hit #27 r&b and growing up I heard it on the radio all the time and people would sing it even when it wasn't on. I've even heard people sing the chorus on a sitcom or two over the years. Weird.
    One Love in My Lifetime was one of those more "obscure" Diana Ross songs that would get some airplay back in the 1980s on Dutch radio, even though the single never charted when released in 1976. Now you don't hear it anymore, even on the "Soul & Jazz" station I listen to [[and which plays a lot of Ross, both with and without the Supremes).

I was referring to the single "Why Do Fools Fall In Love", not the album. The album is pleasant enough, but other than "Mirror" and "Work That Body", none of it knocks me out. "Sweet Surrender" has grown on me in recent years. But clearly the album's success was off the strength of the Diana Ross name. For this album to have been classic, she needed someone other than herself to produce it, and in my mind that would've been Quincy Jones, Lionel Richie, Arif Mardin, Ashford and Simpson.

"There Goes My Baby" isn't joyful? Was that necessary for a hit song?

I agree about Diana 80. It's actually an album I never play because honestly I'm not a fan of that Chic sound. For years I hated "Upside Down" and "I'm Coming Out". I like them both now, but I hardly ever make a point of playing them. The Boss is IMO the last great Diana album of her popular years. Not a bad song on it and vocally Diana is giving me what I need from her.
    oh i see - i thought you were referring to the lp. I do think the set could have been stronger than it was. and i do really like There Goes My Baby on RHRAB. it's a fav of mine and often put it on playlists. but i think WDFLIL has more catchy appeal. TGMB is a ballad and i think to start her new time with RCA needed something with more zing

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    oh i see - i thought you were referring to the lp. I do think the set could have been stronger than it was. and i do really like There Goes My Baby on RHRAB. it's a fav of mine and often put it on playlists. but i think WDFLIL has more catchy appeal. TGMB is a ballad and i think to start her new time with RCA needed something with more zing
    Yeah, I like "There Goes" on RHRAB too. Nothing red hot about it, but I love Diana's vocal and the arrangement is cool, just not for an album with that title. I think "There Goes My Baby" could've been given an uptempo funky arrangement and been a hit in 1981, ala what 4 On the Floor did with it in 1979:

Of course Diana's would be less disco and more funky, similar to "Work That Body". Donna Summer would have a #20 r&b and #21 pop hit with a New Wave sounding version in 1984. So I think Diana might have made a more classic cover of it than going with "Fools".

I'll be honest, I don't think there was any way to inject "Fools" with soul in the early 80s unless Diana turned the song on it's head, slowed it down and made it sad and dramatic. Which now that I think of it, I wonder how an overproduced dramatic reading of "Fools", ala "Aint No Mountain High Enough", would've fared. Moving on to the new label but doing a throwback to throwback classic Diana Ross.

As it is, "Fools" is just too light and too pop for my taste.