[REMOVE ADS]

Willie Horton - Detroit is Happening

There was a recent post on FB regarding this song and Louvain actually commented that she remembers the session well and that it was Diana, Flo, Mary, Jackie , Marlene and herself in the studio. I don't hear six voices but she was there! She also said that Detroit is Happening was for a Movie?? I did find that statement odd as the lyrics say differently. Anyhow, does anyone else hear here six voices? Of course this is just conjecture considering this info came from the source. Of course the Andantes did soooo many sessions that I can understand some confusion. I think I might hear Diana and Jackie on "Detroit is happening" but the others seems like a chorus of voices that could be anybody. I'm usually able to pick out Flo and Louvain but I'm just not hearing them in this case. What do you guys hear?

I asked her about Marvin's "Purple Snowflakes" I can't wait to hear what she recalls on that one. Imo that song contains two sets of backgrounds and very well might have been both groups in the studio.

Last edited by CoolKatz; 03-23-2019 at 08:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CoolKatz View Post
    There was a recent post on FB regarding this song and Louvain actually commented that she remembers the session well and that it was Diana, Flo, Mary, Jackie , Marlene and herself in the studio. I don't hear six voices but she was there! She also said that Detroit is Happening was for a Movie?? I did find that statement odd as the lyrics say differently. Anyhow, does anyone else hear here six voices? Of course this is just conjecture considering this info came from the source. Of course the Andantes did soooo many sessions that I can understand some confusion. I think I might hear Diana and Jackie on "Detroit is happening" but the others seems like a chorus of voices that could be anybody. I'm usually able to pick out Flo and Louvain but I'm just not hearing them in this case. What do you guys hear?
    I don't want to say Louvain is wrong, but I do think she's mistaken. "The Happening" was for the film, but the Supremes were the only ones on that. This was intended as a promotional Detroit youth summer opportunity program record. The Andantes are the only ones on this. The Supremes at this time in their career were not doing background vocals for other artists. They were way too big to do that stuff. I've listened to this multiple times and I only hear two voices - Jackie Hicks and Marlene Barrow. It may be Louvain instead of Marlene, but there is no way six women are singing on this.