[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Who would like to see OPRAH,interview MOTOWN'S BERRY GORDY,AND MARY WILSON ?

Who would like to see OPRAH interview MOTOWN'S BERRY GORDY,and MARY WILSON,and other MOTOWN artist ?I think it would be great for OPRAH to tell the history, about MOTOWN.No one, could do it like OPRAH.Who can we write?or email ?
    Please stay positive

topdiva1 Guest
    It is a great idea - However I cannot remember the last time - if anytime - Mr. Gordy sat for an in depth interview. Did Mr. Gordy do any major interviews for his book - TO BE LOVED???

Berry did a two part interview on Tavis Smiley last year. I watched it, but I remember it as boring and uninformative.
    Here is a link to it.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/tavissmiley/...108_gordy.html

supreme_lady Guest
    I think Oprah would love to have Berry on her show but why she hadn't have him on yet I don't know, not to come across as being negative or anything but I think if Oprah really wanted Mary as a guest, she would have had her on her show, either as a solo guest, a guest with other Motown stars or would have arrange something with a reunion with Diana, after all didn't Oprah always said that she's a big Supremes fan and how they've had such a big inflence on her, so if that's the case how come she's only had Diana Ross on her show???? and never made the attempt to have other Supremes on [[except of course when Lynda and Scherrie was on during the RTL tour).
    Why do you guys think this is??? I just find it strange that if Oprah claimed that she's such a big Supremes fan, how come she always seem to favour Diana over the other Supremes or other Motown stars????
    It's obvious that Oprah favours Diana, cause for her last season, she really didn't have to have Diana on if she doesn't want to [[it's not as if Diana is promoting anything major) but Oprah still decided to dedicated the whole hour of her show to Diana and her family.
    Last edited by supreme_lady; 02-23-2011 at 12:11 PM.

A show with Berry and other Motown stars would be fun for us; most of the other Motown stars, Mary Wilson included, are not well enough known to the public to appear on Oprah in her last year. Berry with a few of them would have been fantastic; but Berry now has a habit of talking only very diplomatically and he synthesizes into a very few words issues that we would be interested in like................."the rumour was always out there about the Mafia but there was no truth to any of that" "all the artists said they didn't get what they were due but they got more from Motown than anyone else paid at the time" " I decided Diana had it and Mary didn't".

There just isn't much to it to attract a huge audience. Most of them don't know any of the other Supremes or Miracles or any Temptations or Four Tops; that's unpopular but very true.

Quote Originally Posted by supreme_lady View Post
    I think Oprah would love to have Berry on her show but why she hadn't have him on yet I don't know, not to come across as being negative or anything but I think if Oprah really wanted Mary as a guest, she would have had her on her show, either as a solo guest, a guest with other Motown stars or would have arrange something with a reunion with Diana, after all didn't Oprah always said that she's a big Supremes fan and how they've had such a big inflence on her, so if that's the case how come she's only had Diana Ross on her show???? and never made the attempt to have other Supremes on [[except of course when Lynda and Scherrie was on during the RTL tour).
    Why do you guys think this is??? I just find it strange that if Oprah claimed that she's such a big Supremes fan, how come she always seem to favour Diana over the other Supremes or other Motown stars????
    It's obvious that Oprah favours Diana, cause for her last season, she really didn't have to have Diana on if she doesn't want to [[it's not as if Diana is promoting anything major) but Oprah still decided to dedicated the whole hour of her show to Diana and her family.
    Look, Oprah is not God, she is human! I thought I explained in another thread why Mary has not done her show. I don't watch Oprah, but it sounds like from what I've read here ,it must be a very big deal. Anyway Mary does not need to go on Oprah....why? She's been on plenty of shows and is interviewed regularly even today. I think Mary should go on Mo'nique's or the Wendy Williams shows once her new single "Lifes Been Good to Me" drops.
    Last edited by marv2; 02-23-2011 at 07:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    A show with Berry and other Motown stars would be fun for us; most of the other Motown stars, Mary Wilson included, are not well enough known to the public to appear on Oprah in her last year. Berry with a few of them would have been fantastic; but Berry now has a habit of talking only very diplomatically and he synthesizes into a very few words issues that we would be interested in like................."the rumour was always out there about the Mafia but there was no truth to any of that" "all the artists said they didn't get what they were due but they got more from Motown than anyone else paid at the time" " I decided Diana had it and Mary didn't".

There just isn't much to it to attract a huge audience. Most of them don't know any of the other Supremes or Miracles or any Temptations or Four Tops; that's unpopular but very true.
    Berry also said that Mary Wilson was always the "Heart & Soul" of the Supremes and that he loves and respects her a great deal.........

Originally posted by jobeterob

[QUOTE=There just isn't much to it to attract a huge audience. Most of them don't know any of the other Supremes or Miracles or any Temptations or Four Tops; that's unpopular but very true.[/QUOTE]

What you fail to acknowledge is that the living members of these old Motown groups, The Miracles, Temptations, Four Tops and the Supremes and that includes Diane are now Senior Citizens! Attracting huge television audiences today would be difficult unless they were all on together. You see, they attracted the large audiences years ago during their heydays. Now if you are assuming that the majority of Oprah Winfrey's audience is under age 40, then even Diana Ross will not attract "huge audiences" because hardly any of them will know her as a relevant artist today as she has not had much success in the mass market in 25 -30 years. Some may know her as "Joans mom" from the TV Show "Girlfriends" but that's about it. It's 2011!
    Last edited by marv2; 02-23-2011 at 07:06 PM.

No oprah needs to enterveiw me..i can see it now..the whole country watching as she ask the toughest question of all time...jai what's the secret of your world famous hooch? A long silence as the suspence builds as a nation awaits[dogs stop barking-babies stop nursing-planes stop in mid-air]more silence and then...and then comes my reply.....oprah-are you crazy,nobody knows the secret not even me..and i walk off the set...haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...pricless!! !!

Neither Berry Gordy or Mary Wilson will be interviewed by Oprah. Oprah is loyal to Diana Ross, who has befriended her. It's just like Diana's relationship with Barbara Walters. They respect and are loyal to Diana. Mary has not been on The View. I suggest Mary go on Wendy Williams.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 02-23-2011 at 05:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by arrr&bee View Post
    No oprah needs to enterveiw me..i can see it now..the whole country watching as she ask the toughest question of all time...jai what's the secret of your world famous hooch? A long silence as the suspence builds as a nation awaits[dogs stop barking-babies stop nursing-planes stop in mid-air]more silence and then...and then comes my reply.....oprah-are you crazy,nobody knows the secret not even me..and i walk off the set...haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...pricless!! !!

You have killed me dead today! LOL!!!!! I can no longer post seriously today unless get sleep or something! LOL!!!!!!! cryin laughing here......! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by kamasu_jr View Post
    neither berry gordy or mary wilson will be interviewed by oprah. Oprah is loyal to diana ross, who has befriended her. It's just like diana's relationship with barbara walters. They respect and are loyal to diana. Mary has not been on the view. I suggest mary go on wendy williams.
    good! Lol!

A repeated comment from the Motown artists that visit Europe is that back in their home country, audiences just don't remember them. They feel that the States is only concerned with what is current in music and have less concern for the past.

I know the American's here are very concerned about this older music but why do you think the artists say that?

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    A repeated comment from the Motown artists that visit Europe is that back in their home country, audiences just don't remember them. They feel that the States is only concerned with what is current in music and have less concern for the past.

I know the American's here are very concerned about this older music but why do you think the artists say that?
    Most of America tends to be focused on today. If you are not in the news at the moment, you tend to be forgotten. It doesn't matter what you did in the past, it's about what you've done lately or what you did yesterday. Plus, many younger people...those my brother's age - under 21- are not interested in anything or anyone that happened 40-50 years ago. My brother won't even watch a black & white movie because he considers it old.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 02-23-2011 at 08:52 PM.

That's interesting you should mention black and white movies. When I was young, I would never watch slient movies.

Kamasu-Over here, there are kids as young as 10 years old at Velvelettes concerts who know all about them, and they ask them questions about Motown and the Funk Brothers. I kid you not. I have photographs of them with the ladies to prove it.

Quote Originally Posted by topdiva1 View Post
    It is a great idea - However I cannot remember the last time - if anytime - Mr. Gordy sat for an in depth interview. Did Mr. Gordy do any major interviews for his book - TO BE LOVED???
    He was interviewed by Barbara Walters on 20/20. I believe he also appeared on the TODAY show.

What i was trying to say,OPRAH could have a SPECIAL tribute to MOTOWN,Starring BERRY GORDY,with SUPREMES MARY WILSON CINDY BIRDSONG,MARTHA REEVES AND THE ORIGINAL VANDELLAS,ROSALAND ASHFORD and ANNETTE BEARD,some TEMPTATIONS,some 4 TOPS,SMOKEY ROBIBSON,STEVIE WONDER,KATHERINE SCHAFFNER of THE MARVELETTES,some JACKSON 5,COMMODORES,THE SPINNERS,and others,OPRAH could do it,and do it well,it could be a 2 hour special.
    THE HISTORY OF MOTOWN.
    p.s maybe even SCHERRIE PAYNE,SUSAYE GREENE,JEAN TERRELL,LYNDA LAURENCE.[[i can dream,if i want to)
    Again who can we write to ? or email ?
    Please stay positive

Quote Originally Posted by REDHOT View Post
    What i was trying to say,OPRAH could have a SPECIAL tribute to MOTOWN,Starring BERRY GORDY,with SUPREMES MARY WILSON CINDY BIRDSONG,MARTHA REEVES AND THE ORIGINAL VANDELLAS,ROSALAND ASHFORD and ANNETTE BEARD,some TEMPTATIONS,some 4 TOPS,SMOKEY ROBIBSON,STEVIE WONDER,KATHERINE SCHAFFNER of THE MARVELETTES,some JACKSON 5,COMMODORES,THE SPINNERS,and others,OPRAH could do it,and do it well,it could be a 2 hour special.
    THE HISTORY OF MOTOWN.
    p.s maybe even SCHERRIE PAYNE,SUSAYE GREENE,JEAN TERRELL,LYNDA LAURENCE.[[i can dream,if i want to)
    Again who can we write to ? or email ?
    Please stay positive
    Does it have to be Oprah though? I've enjoyed immensely the programs that T.J. Lubinsky and company have produced. Maybe he would be interested in doing something like this where interviews are also conducted with the artists.

They say it because for the most part it is true. Understand something, in the United States the "Youth Culture" is what is and has always been valued. People in this country don't even have time or take time with their own grandparents!

Although the youth market today is considerably much smaller than in the years when the "Baby Boom" came of age, it is still what companies, media and such are geared towards. There are more people in the United States over the age of 40 today, but for some reason the 18-35 demographic is the one sought after. It's ridiculous I know.

Thanks Marv2,for the info,on T.J.LUBINSKY,I'm open,but again,who can we write to ?or email ?
    Please stay positive

Thanks Marv2,for the info,on T.J.LUBINSKY,I'm open,but again,who can we write to ?or email ?
    Please stay positive
    Redhot, you are welcome. T.J. is a member here although he has not been on in a long time. If I can find an email address for him, I will pass it along to you and YES! Please stay positive!!!!

That's an excellent idea; it's very realistic; we should follow it up. I think it has been the case for that last 40 years that Europe values its older artists more than North America. It might be a cultural thing where traditions and family are more valued and it might stem from that.

Who would like to see OPRAH interview MOTOWN'S BERRY GORDY,and MARY WILSON,and other MOTOWN artist ?I think it would be great for OPRAH to tell the history, about MOTOWN.No one, could do it like OPRAH.Who can we write?or email ?
    Please stay positive

If you do write Oprah please ask if Barbara Martin can be included on the Berry Gordy and Mary Wilson interview.

God bless you.

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamasu_Jr View Post
    Neither Berry Gordy or Mary Wilson will be interviewed by Oprah. Oprah is loyal to Diana Ross, who has befriended her. It's just like Diana's relationship with Barbara Walters. They respect and are loyal to Diana. Mary has not been on The View. I suggest Mary go on Wendy Williams.
    You are very correct in your statements. Do you really think however, that Diana wpuld be upset with Oprah interviewing Mr. Gordy?

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    He was interviewed by Barbara Walters on 20/20. I believe he also appeared on the TODAY show.

Thank you for this information. Did you see the Barbara Walters interview, and did she ask any tough questions? I feel that Gordy may prescreen his questions like Ross. He likely taught her that.

Thanks.

Oprah's show is over.

topdiva1 Guest
    ^^^^Who would be your choice to do a Mary Wilson and/or Berry Gordy interview.

Tavis Smiley interviewed Berry two years ago. Not very informative, but worth watching if you did not see it. Here is the link.

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Tavis Smiley interviewed Berry two years ago. Not very informative, but worth watching if you did not see it. Here is the link.

How nice of you - Thanks - I will watch it.

If she were alive I would love for Florence Ballard to interview them both.

In all sincerity, I would love to see Diana, Mary & Cindy interviewed together.

I believe that a lot of fans have been waiting for something like that & it would be nice if something like that would actually happen.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    That's an excellent idea; it's very realistic; we should follow it up. I think it has been the case for that last 40 years that Europe values its older artists more than North America. It might be a cultural thing where traditions and family are more valued and it might stem from that.
    Hasn't T.J. Lubinsky already saluted Motown? I'M SURE HE HAS. When Oprah presents Diana Ross tomorrow...that's your Motown tribute right there. Even President Obama couldn't get all of the Motown vets left on earth together to perform for him at the White House and he has more power than Oprah or T.J. Lubinsky. Please stay realistic and sane.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 02-24-2011 at 06:24 PM.

Kamasu

He hasn't actually invited them. Motown's Vets, as in Velvelettes, that is!

Kamasu

He hasn't actually invited them. Motown's Vets, as in Velvelettes, that is!
    i DIDN'T THINK SO. The Velvelettes would have performed.

This Motown tribute at the White House seems to have been thrown together rather hastily.

They definitely would. Cal was there in that crowd at Obama's inauguration.

I spare a thought for those that were not invited.....it's a bit sad for them.

I believe TJ was involved in the special where the Marvelettes appeared; I don't know that it was a Motown tribute though.

Kam is right ~ the Motown Tribute tomorrow is Diana Ross on Oprah and that's as big as it is going to get.

But I agree with John in that it is sad that everyone can't be invited somewhere, one time, including Velvelettes and Contours and Temptations and Diana, Mary, Cindy, Lynda, Jean, Scherrie, Susaye and Barbara, Lionel, the Commodores, the Miracles, Smokey, Berry, and the Tops and the Pips and Gladys and Martha and the Vandellas ~ before there are even fewer to attend.

But there is no Motown to thread the needle anymore and all of these people have family obligations and commitments and it won't ever happen.

There are only 2 Pips left, one original Top, a few Marvelettes, 3 MIRACLES, ONE ORIGINAL TEMPTATION...THE PICKINGS ARE GETTING SLIM.

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by juicefree20 View Post
    In all sincerity, I would love to see Diana, Mary & Cindy interviewed together.

I believe that a lot of fans have been waiting for something like that & it would be nice if something like that would actually happen.

You are right - This is the interview Oprah should have went after - but does she have the heart and nerve that would take.

Oprah got exactly who she wanted ON HER SHOW. It's obvious she didn't want Mary or Cindy AND THEY WOULD HAVE BEEN ON LONG AGO.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 02-24-2011 at 07:42 PM.

Kam:

I hear you & fear that you are absolutely correct. But I have to say that had she pulled that one off, her last season would've gone out in one hell of a blaze of glory!

Honestly, I believe that if anyone is able to have pulled this off, Oprah is. I don't think that there's anyone else whom would've had the clout to even dream about doing such a thing.

Personally, I don't believe that any of the ladies owe me anything, but for the sake of a whole lot of long-suffering fans, I truly hope that their loyalty finally reaps some fruit & they get to see a reunion before a reunion is no longer possible.

Unfortunately, it seems as though grabbing air & putting it in ones pocket is infinitely more realistic. But where there's life, there's hope & I truly hope that their fans get to see that day. And I'd like to see it too.

Thus far, all I've got is Eddie King rejoining Duck, J.T. & Choirboy. And it was nice to see!

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by juicefree20 View Post
    Kam:

I hear you & fear that you are absolutely correct. But I have to say that had she pulled that one off, her last season would've gone out in one hell of a blaze of glory!

Honestly, I believe that if anyone is able to have pulled this off, Oprah is. I don't think that there's anyone else whom would've had the clout to even dream about doing such a thing.

Personally, I don't believe that any of the ladies owe me anything, but for the sake of a whole lot of long-suffering fans, I truly hope that their loyalty finally reaps some fruit & they get to see a reunion before a reunion is no longer possible.

Unfortunately, it seems as though grabbing air & putting it in ones pocket is infinitely more realistic. But where there's life, there's hope & I truly hope that their fans get to see that day. And I'd like to see it too.

Thus far, all I've got is Eddie King rejoining Duck, J.T. & Choirboy. And it was nice to see!

Nicely put and I agree - If O had been able to put Diana, Mary, and Cindy back together she would have scored a major coup, and perhaps she is the only one that can do it.

oh my good lord the last time Diana and Mary were in each others presence the whole Motown family and an audience watched Mary steal a song from Diana..then Diana pushed Mary minutes later Diana snatched a microphone off Mary..the grand finale to Motown 25 was a disaster..Mary and Diana couldnt even get through one song together without them both forgetting their proffessional image on stage..and before Marv jumps in with his Mary is goodness routine she took over a song she never even recorded and left Diana standing there looking dazed to say the least..its a shambles
    and this was before Dreamgirls was ever written
    And then when both ladies argued over how much money Mary would get over a reunion Barbra walters was there with a camera to capture two unhappy disgruntled singers both accusing the other of lacking respect...
    ..and people are posting they want to see a reunion interview !! get real it aint gonna happen theres nearly fifty years of bitterness there..ok? thats the way it is both of them are to blame..Diana Ross wasnt a nice person in the 60s -she is now after half a dozen books highlighted her behaviour..she was mean to Mary and Mary never forgot it..thats the truth
    Last edited by nomis; 02-26-2011 at 11:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Berry did a two part interview on Tavis Smiley last year. I watched it, but I remember it as boring and uninformative.
    Here is a link to it.

That interview was nothin but a big ole slumber party. I thought Tavis was gonna get his nut before the itnerview was over.

topdiva1 Guest
    Ross was mean to many people - but they took that in stride - as Ross being Ross - I remember reading a quote from someone who knew Ross before she became DIANA ROSS - knew her back in the projects - they said something to the effect that ,,, she was always a bitch even when she was unknown and broke.

She has seemed to mellow over the years - I wil give her that. Also remember she worked her way to the top in many ways - and has managed to STAY there - despite the many negative stories - and what some feel was limited vocal talent - and just a hell of a lot of wigs and gowns and staging.

Go figure.

Motown 25..Marvin at the piano preaching the lord dressed in white then singing of vietnam from the pit of his soul..Michael Jackson electrifying the audience..then came Diana and Mary ruining the show look at Smokeys face as he rushes out to save the pitiful reunion..hes looking at Mary with suspicion reunion? they couldnt sing a song together !
    And then Diana saying to Walters she helped Mary when she had financial difficulties..and Mary payed her back but then you have Mary pretending Diana never gave her a loan in dreamgirl..they both tit for tat..the rtl phonecall -why havent you called me? dianas answer why arent you happy about this? and on it goes...yet they say they love each other I dont see no love on Motown 25 OR Barbra walters..They are both to blame for there never being a reunion..what do you expect Diana to say to Oprah "well Oprah Mary wrote a book saying what a selfish person I was and turned down 5 million dollars to work with me"..no that makes Diana look bad so she says "I love her" cause its easy than facing up to her behaviour in the supremes..like I said Dianas nice now but even if only a quarter of whats been written is true she was self centered in the supremes and not particulary nice to everyone in general yes she was young yes she was under pressure she also couldnt go near any other Motown female singer without a catfight errupting Ive never heard of Flo or Mary having disagreements with other artists..I love Diana but im not deluded for a long time she wasnt a pleasant person getting away from Berry was the key..

topdiva1 Guest
    ^^^I would not say that Mary ruined the show - or Diana for that matter - but - they certainly made it more interesting - after all we are still discussing that incident many years later.

I submit this for your edification,there once was a very famous female singing group whose members went their seperate ways,but thier adoring public would not let them live seperately in peace so after many many years apart and after the urging,begging of the legions of fans they once again graced the stage but a strange thing happened to all who attended this momentous occation,they found them selves unable to leave the concert as the group continued to sing and sing and sing unable to stop as they and thier fans were indeed trapped in an unending medley of song,welcome to....THE SUPREMES ZONE!!!

The only thing I would like to add here you guys is that Diana never felt her and Mary were close. They were in a group together but, I don't believe Diana felt they were BFF.

It ain't going to happen so why ask? You have a better chance to see Tony Turner, Ralph and Kim Weston on the same stage.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    The only thing I would like to add here you guys is that Diana never felt her and Mary were close. They were in a group together but, I don't believe Diana felt they were BFF.
    Then Diana Ross is just crazy. I don't know who has been telling you this.
    Last edited by marv2; 02-27-2011 at 04:12 AM.