[REMOVE ADS]

Detroit Recording Studios - VOGUE Studio

I was just looking at the Fortune Records Soulful Detroit Tour which is part of this forum. It was stated that the owners of Fortune Records worked out initially of their home at 11839 12th Street and rented time at local studios VOGUE and United Sound Systems.

What does anyone know about the VOGUE studios? Is it possible that some Motown recordings may have been made there as there were at USS? I never heard of the VOGUE studios.

Thanks for any input on this studio.

Never heard of it. I know some Motown stuff was done at United Sound.

Many of the smaller studios around town, all trying to become the next Motown, were hardly studios, only labels that operated out of storefronts in most cases and recorded at independent studios. When I played for the Velgo label, our "studio" was on Dequindre Ave and was a rehearsal facility only , but recordings were done at a studio in New Haven, Michigan...

Velgo... Here is the big NS track...
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EZAwPnGOJPE

Stu should confirm the label was owned by Larry Lick?
    The 45 pressing was faulty so most were destroyed. I had a badly cared for copy which I assume was a bootleg ...I hope so because an original was worth a small fortune I believe.
    Last edited by snakepit; 03-21-2019 at 04:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post

Velgo... Here is the big NS track...
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EZAwPnGOJPE

Stu should confirm the label was owned by Larry Lick?
    The 45 pressing was faulty so most were destroyed. I had a badly cared for copy which I assume was a bootleg ...I hope so because an original was worth a small fortune I believe.
    LOL... Yes...thats me playing bass...

Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    A fine gentleman named Chuck Wilson was the principal owner of the label. He was a Detroit public school Principal and owned our rehearsal building along with owning the pool hall next door... There were a couple of other minor owners...a guy named Henry Smith as I recall, and our bands manager, a guy named Fred [[I forget his last name...but he drove the prettiest blue deuce and a quarter convertible you've ever seen LOL...Tony Wilson was our producer for all that Gwen Owens stuff and the other stuff. Roger Bass was my producing partner with a company we formed [[I was still in High School and Roger was going to Wayne State) and Roger was also our pianist. We were a 13 piece band [[like Jr Funk Brothers) mostly all still in high school or just graduated... Some of the other artists were Lenny Mays, who went on to join the Dramatics but was working with a girl on Marvin/Tammy type duets... Lenny and I remembered that when I spoke to him just before he passed away... That's where I first met and became friends with the Toney family...Derrick and Sol...older brothers of Kevin who went on to help form The Blackbyrds while a student at Howard University… Kevin was about 13 years old at the time and I was at their house when their mom bought him his first electric piano for Christmas. I see Kevin from time to time out here in Los Angeles...
    Last edited by StuBass1; 03-21-2019 at 05:10 PM.

Stu
    You may recall that I sent you a cassette of this stuff..hope you received it.

Oh yeah...sure I did...Thanks again. With YouTube...it's easy to get all this stuff...

Yes it's all out there now..years ago you needed the vinyl....then cassettes started a swapping scene, CDs were slow to hit the NS genre.
    Now you tube has most stuff.

Velgo

According to Soulful kinda Music, there were 3 45s on Velgo.
    The two Gwen Owens and no.003 ..."The two plus two..". " I'm sure/ Look around".

Don't remember those. Recall a few other tracks we cut though though...One was called "Still True" and another something like [[I Loved You) Much Too Long...I think...I still recall the melody and bassline on that one...

Quote Originally Posted by StuBass1 View Post
    Don't remember those. Recall a few other tracks we cut though though...One was called "Still True" and another something like [[I Loved You) Much Too Long...I think...I still recall the melody and bassline on that one...
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  21.1 KB
    "Still True To You" was the flip of "Just Say You're Wanted And Needed". I've got both Gwen's Velgo records, but don't have Two Plus Two. We've all been wondering for years who they were. Those Gwen Owens cuts are wonderful. So are Gwen's cuts on REM and Oncore. I'm a big fan. I wish Motown would have picked her up in 1964, and recorded her in The Snakepit with The Funk Brothers, instead of in 1972, and recording her in The South.

Quote Originally Posted by StuBass1 View Post
    LOL... Yes...thats me playing bass...
    Stu, this record sells for mucho $, here's the latest on ebay : https://www.ebay.com/itm/Northern-So...orig_cvip=true

My 'copy' had writing on the label...I hope it's not the same!!!

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  21.1 KB
    "Still True To You" was the flip of "Just Say You're Wanted And Needed". I've got both Gwen's Velgo records, but don't have Two Plus Two. We've all been wondering for years who they were. Those Gwen Owens cuts are wonderful. So are Gwen's cuts on REM and Oncore. I'm a big fan. I wish Motown would have picked her up in 1964, and recorded her in The Snakepit with The Funk Brothers, instead of in 1972, and recording her in The South.
    Agree that Gwen could have been picked up by Motown or a more significant label, however, they already had Tammy Terrell and others... Also, Gwen had a bit of a "rougher" edge to her singing while Motown was attracted to a smoother vocal sound, but it was a pleasure playing for her on recordings and some shows...
    Last edited by StuBass1; 03-22-2019 at 01:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by phil View Post
    Stu, this record sells for mucho $, here's the latest on ebay : https://www.ebay.com/itm/Northern-So...orig_cvip=true
    I've read some nice comments on YouTube and elsewhere about my bassline and the drummer, a guy named Sidney Jones I think [[we called him Rock) and our band...The Soul Delegates… I also had some communications with a European group who covered that song after I found it on YouTube... If the owner of the original who paid all that money...they can send it to me with 100 bucks, I'll autograph it and send it back LOL

It's a fair deal Stu !

Quote Originally Posted by phil View Post
    It's a fair deal Stu !
    LOL...Would $200 by asking too much ???...