[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    I love Jr.'s version of "Proud Mary". I never cared for the pop/rock version by Creedence Clearwater Revival at all, but, thanks to Johnny Bristol & Jr. Walker, once Motown worked their magic on it, I fell in love with it! Jr.'s hot sax and those ever-magnificent Detroit Symphony strings are sublime, as is Phil Spector's Wall-Of-Sound production of "Proud Mary" on Sonny Charles & The Checkmates. It just goes to show ya how a producer's and arranger's stamp on it can make it or break it!
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 03-30-2019 at 06:49 PM.

Great version of "Proud Mary", Motowned up a lil bit!

Posted by David Nathan on Facebook - looks great.....
    Name:  59409698_1399164003559047_5203083855237480448_o.jpg
Views: 1384
Size:  98.0 KB

Wow! That sure looks beautiful, mysterysinger! I can hardly wait to get my copy!

It will be very welcome in my collection. Now for Ivy Jo Hunter!

Yes, Roger -- and Blinky!

Looks great!!!!!

Wow! Beautiful packaging. Cannot wait to add it to my collection.

If only it were released a few days earlier, so that I could get it in time for my birthday on the 23rd...

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    If only it were released a few days earlier, so that I could get it in time for my birthday on the 23rd...
    In case I forget, early Happy Birthday, Tom!

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    In case I forget, early Happy Birthday, Tom!
    I second that emotion!

Thanks guys!! And this set can be a belated birthday present for myself

Dusty Groove has this in stock. Just ordered mine - it shipped today.

Tom, I ordered my copy from Dusty Groove last Thursday. It arrived yesterday [[Monday). Plenty of time left to get yours in time for your birthday!

Not released yet in UK

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Not released yet in UK
    No offense, mysterysinger, but how refreshing! You folks across the pond often get OUR music before WE do! At last -- sweet justice! LOL!!!

I've been listening to the new Jr. Walker "Walk In The Night" CD box set tonight. I've managed to get through discs 1 and 2, and I'm pleased to report that the remastering on this box is top notch all the way. I had forgotten how much I missed Jr. Walker's '70s album output. Musically speaking, all tracks are even better than I remembered, and my all-time favorite Jr. album -- "Moody Jr." -- sounds even better today. I'm really glad I bought this CD set. We've been without the saxman's '70s output on CD for too long. This set is just what the doctor ordered. Looking forward to CD 3 tomorrow. Let's also keep the faith for Jr's "Whopper Bopper Show Stopper", "Sax Appeal", and "Smooth" on one more CD box set to complete Jr's Motown LP output. [[I noticed that the "Walk In The Night" box on Dusty Groove has sold out, which is a very good sign that it's a good seller. Let's hope it keeps up so that SoulMusic Records will find the release of those last 3 titles on CD worthy of the effort.
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 05-23-2019 at 04:41 PM.

So don't we also want "Blow The House Down".? also maybe the missing live album [[perhaps a 2fer of his live albums). With or without these the clamour will then be for something else. SMR releases often command high prices later on so get your Junior's while you can.
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 05-23-2019 at 04:08 AM.

Yes, absolutely "Blow The House Down" as well. I was thinking along the lines of his '70s output. But, yes, if it will fit on the 2nd disc, go for it. And, yes, would be nice to have a 2-fer of Jr.'s live sets on one CD as well.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Not released yet in UK
    Not received mine yet..any UK member got their's?

Release date is May 24th according to Amazon [[who still have it on sale at £28.40 whereas direct from Cherry Red it's £17.99.

Thanks
    I ordered from Cherry Red

Thanks mystery, I preordered too!

Delivered

Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    Not received mine yet..any UK member got their's?
    Mine has arrived - I bought direct from Cherry Red.

Ah, so if the release date is 24th, it can actually arrive on the 24th!

Mine arrived today.

Mine arrived today as well from Cherry Red. Yay.

Looks like I should have preordered earlier!!!!!

I am still not sure if i need this set in my collection. I already have the hip-o-select double cd from way back which includes all the singles. Is there anything essential on this new box set that is not on the hip-o-select set? Your views would be most welcome folks.

Bluebrock, if you're referring to Jr.'s "Nothing But Soul" anthology, I have that one as well, but it doesn't begin to make up for the new "Walk In The Night" box set. The first two discs [[representing 4 albums) are consistently exciting. Even if you only bought the set for "Moody Jr." [[which is my overall favorite Jr. Walker album), it would make having the 3-CD set worth having. But I really think you'll like all of the tracks on the first 4 albums. To be honest, I thought the quality was lacking on Jr.'s remaining 6 albums with Motown, starting with the two on CD 3, although even they have their moments. Overall, I highly recommend getting "Walk In The Night" while the gettin' is good, as the price gougers will demand an arm and a leg for any copy that's left over after it's out of print.
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 05-25-2019 at 03:39 AM.

My copy arrived yrsterday. A nice package with liner notes and photos.
    Hope to play it very soon.
    Any Originals fans who want a similar CD set, please email the address in the booklet that came with this..they ask for suggesstions so go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I am still not sure if i need this set in my collection. I already have the hip-o-select double cd from way back which includes all the singles. Is there anything essential on this new box set that is not on the hip-o-select set? Your views would be most welcome folks.
    Oh yeah, this is still definitely worth getting in my opinion Blue I have that singles collection which is good, but this one is 6 whole albums remastered [[and all of them are pretty good). And, at £20 [[currently ), it's not badly priced either.

Any Originals fans who want a similar CD set, please email the address in the booklet that came with this..they ask for suggesstions so go for it.
    Good idea snake

Tom, if you use eBay, I treated myself.

Mine was £19.99 + £1.50 p/p, less 3 x £2.50 Nectar vouchers, and is on its way for £13.99.

Bluebrock, I forgot to mention that the first 4 albums [[CD's 1 & 2) on "Walk In The Night" are Johnny Bristol productions which, in my opinion, represent Jr.'s best work at Motown. All the more reason to get the box set.

Name:  60880973_1315682198598740_6934314481388355584_n.jpg
Views: 746
Size:  47.8 KB I guess a few of these can go away now

Bluebrock, I forgot to mention that the first 4 albums [[CD's 1 & 2) on "Walk In The Night" are Johnny Bristol productions which, in my opinion, represent Jr.'s best work at Motown. All the more reason to get the box set.
    Thank you so much! I think you have convinced me. I will probably order it next week. I appreciate you taking the time out to answer my question.

Oh yeah, this is still definitely worth getting in my opinion Blue I have that singles collection which is good, but this one is 6 whole albums remastered [[and all of them are pretty good). And, at £20 [[currently ), it's not badly priced either.
    Thank you Tom. I respect your opinion.

Sadly David has been turned down with regard to the remaining Originals albums. I was discussing it with him only a couple of weeks ago, but there can be no harm in e-mailing them. If they get sufficient interest they could possibly have a change of heart.

Thanks everyone for discussing this and ordered mine today.
    And I'll be emailing them for the remaining Orginal albums.
    All the best to you all

Thank you so much! I think you have convinced me. I will probably order it next week. I appreciate you taking the time out to answer my question.
    You're very welcome, Blue. My pleasure. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

Really impressed! with the box set and booklet, well worth buying direct as well the price cheaper than major online suppliers, mine arrived quickly, disappointed though it is on Spotify it is not available?

Sadly David has been turned down with regard to the remaining Originals albums. I was discussing it with him only a couple of weeks ago, but there can be no harm in e-mailing them. If they get sufficient interest they could possibly have a change of heart.
    Ok thanks...
    No Originals...how about we all email a request for Ivy Jo's album "in this bag".
    Contact Cherry Red.

Ok thanks...
    No Originals...how about we all email a request for Ivy Jo's album "in this bag".
    Contact Cherry Red.
    Already in hand

Thanks Paul

Bluebrock, I'm afraid I misspoke regarding the first "4" albums being Johnny Bristol productions, as the first "3" albums on the set were produced by Johnny Bristol. Jr.'s 4th album, "Peace And Understanding Is Hard To Find", was produced by various Motown producers. I apologize for the error, but, again, the rest of the set is full of good tracks as well.

I have received my copy but have yet to open it! For those who have opened, what do you think of the set!!?

A very nice surprise! I found out via The Second Disc... https://theseconddisc.com/2019/05/gr...IpajHpWQLgmoVI

Already ordered from Amazon US.

Sam

Motown LPs in Digital Formats

Bluebrock, I'm afraid I misspoke regarding the first "4" albums being Johnny Bristol productions, as the first "3" albums on the set were produced by Johnny Bristol. Jr.'s 4th album, "Peace And Understanding Is Hard To Find", was produced by various Motown producers. I apologize for the error, but, again, the rest of the set is full of good tracks as well.
    No need to apologize. I have not yet ordered it as i have endured an expensive month, but it is definitely on my list. Thank you again.

I have received my copy but have yet to open it! For those who have opened, what do you think of the set!!?
    Get it opened Tommy Tom Tom!