[REMOVE ADS]




Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1

    An Odd Four Tops Song Listed on Billboards 100 "GREATEST OF ALL TIME HOT 100 SINGLES"

    Or at least it struck me as odd. Maybe someone here can explain it.

    Here is how the list is compiled.

    Radio Airplay + Sales Data + Streaming Data = Greatest Of All Time Hot 100 Songs


    These all-time rankings are based on actual performance on the weekly Billboard Hot 100 (from its launch on Aug. 4, 1958 through Oct. 10, 2015) and Billboard 200 (from Aug. 17, 1963 — when we combined our two leading pop album album charts for stereo and mono releases into one all-encompassing weekly chart — through Oct. 10, 2015). Titles are ranked based on an inverse point system, with weeks at No. 1 earning the greatest value and weeks at lower rungs earning the least. Due to changes in chart methodology over the years, eras are weighted differently to account for chart turnover rates over various periods. Artists are ranked based on the combined point totals, as outlined above, of all their Hot 100 or Billboard 200 chart entries. --- Billboard
    And here are the Motown singles that made this list:

    #91 ALL NIGHT LONG - Lionel Richie
    #89 SAY YOU SAY ME - Lionel Richie
    #81 I HEARD IT THROUGH THE GRAPEVINE - Marvin Gaye
    #77 UPSIDE DOWN - Diana Ross
    #52 END OF THE ROAD - Boys To Men
    #44 "______________" - Four Tops
    #38 LET'S GET IT ON - Marvin Gaye
    #20 I'LL MAKE LOVE TO YOU - Boys To Men
    #16 ENDLESS LOVE - Diana Ross & Lionel Richie

    As you can see, many Motown acts did not make this list , Temptations, Supremes , J5 , Stevie Wonder etc...

    Considering the hits various Motown acts had that did not rank, --- without cheating!!: what song by The Four Tops do you think came in as high as #44??

    Any guesses ?

    __________________

    added reference:

    These are the songs The Four Tops are couched between:

    #43 TIE A YELLOW RIBBON ROUND THE OL OAK TREE - Tony Orlando & Dawn
    #45 I WANT TO HOLD YOUR HAND - The Beatles
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 03-18-2019 at 02:38 AM.

  2. #2
    Either "Reach Out I'll Be There" or "I Can't Help Myself".

  3. #3
    you'd think , right?

    NOPE!!

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    you'd think , right?

    NOPE!!
    Bernadette?

  5. #5
    'Walk Away Renee'?

    Cheers

    Paul

  6. #6
    Itís All in the Game?

  7. #7
    Hopefully not 'It's The Same Old Song'.

    That list looks a horrible representation of Motown.

  8. #8
    It’s All in the Game
    complete list is here:
    https://www.billboard.com/charts/gre...ot-100-singles

  9. #9
    Astonishing that Whitney's IWALY is all the way down at #51.

  10. #10
    I wondered if they got the original Itís All in the Game confused with the Four Tops version - the Tommy Edwards version was number 1 for 6 or so weeks
    Last edited by jobeterob; 03-18-2019 at 01:02 PM.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    Astonishing that Whitney's IWALY is all the way down at #51.
    I see it says different eras got weighted differently

  12. #12
    I saw a very ominous article that said the album that was number 1 for 2 weeks in early January managed to do that on sales of 1200 the first week and about 750 the next week; the rest was online or streamed I guess

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I wondered if they got the original It’s All in the Game confused with the Four Tops version - the Tommy Edwards version was number 1 for 6 or so weeks
    that would explain it. It wouldn't surprise me that Billboard would make such a glaring mistake and still leave it that way. Both they and Rolling Stone are shadows of their former selves.
    As time marches on I guess the new easy access material will shove all the old timers off such charts. So much is missing here .
    Sad to see Stevie Wonder represented only because of those dreadful couplings with McCartney and MJ. And Donna Summer 's legacy will be reduced to a silly song like HOT STUFF.
    Oh well , at lest Paula Abdul is still on there. LOL!

    (good answer , but tell the truth jobeterob, did you cheat!!! )

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I wondered if they got the original Itís All in the Game confused with the Four Tops version - the Tommy Edwards version was number 1 for 6 or so weeks
    It has to be that version as the Tops stalled outside the Pop Top 20 with their awesome cover

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    that would explain it. It wouldn't surprise me that Billboard would make such a glaring mistake and still leave it that way. Both they and Rolling Stone are shadows of their former selves.
    As time marches on I guess the new easy access material will shove all the old timers off such charts. So much is missing here .
    Sad to see Stevie Wonder represented only because of those dreadful couplings with McCartney and MJ. And Donna Summer 's legacy will be reduced to a silly song like HOT STUFF.
    Oh well , at lest Paula Abdul is still on there. LOL!

    (good answer , but tell the truth jobeterob, did you cheat!!! )
    No cheat but I thought I knew because I saw this in the last couple of months; so that's kind of being educated early on and thus only a little cheat!

    Somebody should contact Billboard and tell them.

    It's a very different business that in the 1990's and 2000's.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.