[REMOVE ADS]

Mary Wilson dancing on Soul Train

I have watched this video about 3-5 times already. A well done Soul Train documentary.

Mary Wilson appears at about the the 18:40 mark:

That was iconic! It was the very first and last time Don Corneilious went down the Soul Train line and what a lovely dancing partner he had in Mary Wilson!

Thanks Lockhartgary for posting the video. To use a tired, trusted, true and over used phrase, the video is the soundtrack of my life. Memories came flooding back from a lot of Saturday mornings over many years. The intent was to only watch Mary Wilson, but I wound up entranced until the end just to recapture the memories.

I saw this when it originally aired. I did not know then that I was watching history and that people would still be talking about this particular segment over 40 years later....wow!

I'm liking this . Will watch the entirety when time allows.

Mary looks happy , confident , and... little! Brave that she wanted to dance down the line amongst the hardcore regulars.
    They said this occurrence was significant as it was the only time Don Cornelius participated in the dance line.

Does Mary Wilson have the distinction then of being the only guest performer to ever dance The Soul Train line??

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post

Mary looks happy , confident , and... little! Brave that she wanted to dance down the line amongst the hardcore regulars.
    They said this occurrence was significant as it was the only time Don Cornelius participated in the dance line.

Does Mary Wilson have the distinction then of being the only guest performer to ever dance The Soul Train line??
    Yes lol the only one!

.....cool!!

There’s a shorter clip on YouTube of just her and Don dancing

Yes! Don Corneileous liked Mary. I mean REALLY liked her! LOL!

Here is a picture.
    Name:  Mary W  Don C 2.jpg
Views: 935
Size:  13.2 KB

edafan

Quote Originally Posted by edafan View Post
    Here is a picture.
    Name:  Mary W  Don C 2.jpg
Views: 935
Size:  13.2 KB

edafan
    Look at how happy Don looked. He was having a great time.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Yes lol the only one!
    That's incorrect. Both Jean and Lynda also went down the line with Don. That would make the Supremes the only ones to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    That's incorrect. Both Jean and Lynda also went down the line with Don. That would make the Supremes the only ones to do it.
    And here they are

Name:  sup-st.JPG
Views: 745
Size:  23.5 KB

i was just going to ask , how was it that Mary was on there by herself?
    That looks like a very happy episode for Don.

How did it work? Mary asks to dance, the crowd says "with Don!" , and then afterwards the other Supremes have a turn? Maybe that only seemed right , good for Don for being a good sport!

i was just going to ask , how was it that Mary was on there by herself?
    That looks like a very happy episode for Don.

How did it work? Mary asks to dance, the crowd says "with Don!" , and then afterwards the other Supremes have a turn? Maybe that only seemed right , good for Don for being a good sport!
    Yeah, that's how it went. Mary Wilson was the FIRST person Don Cornelious danced with on his FIRST time down the Soul Train line. Those other two came down the line with Don afterwards.......They never get mentioned as the 2nd and 3rd people to dance with Don on TV sadly.........

well she instigated it. and it basically was a singular event. I'm guessing parading the other two down was a polite afterthought, otherwise Mary would've said can WE have a turn on the Soul Train line and the three of them would've asked on stage together. Seems it was really Mary that wanted the honor.

Don was having such a good time , once he got going, there was no stopping him! lol! !
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 03-18-2019 at 04:50 PM.

Does anyone know if this historic moment will be captured in the TV series American Soul, and who will be cast as Mary Wilson?

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Ah OK. See, I didn't know that. Should've watched the whole episode.

Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    Does anyone know if this historic moment will be captured in the TV series American Soul, and who will be cast as Mary Wilson?
    I don't know if they'll recreate that moment, but since Don only danced down the line on that 1 episode, they should.

Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    I have watched this video about 3-5 times already. A well done Soul Train documentary.

Mary Wilson appears at about the the 18:40 mark:

Thank you for this. I absolutely love Soul Train and only remember it beginning at the end of the 70s, not the early years. I’d love to have a “complete DVD collection” but haven’t been able to find one.

I don't know if they'll recreate that moment, but since Don only danced down the line on that 1 episode, they should.
    They should as it was a monumental moment for the show. He never went down the line or danced on air again after that one time Mary Wilson got him to do it.

Mary Wilson is the heart and soul of the Supremes. She was the best dancer 💃 in the group. A real natural.

I agree. It seems like it would be a lighthearted moment for a show that is focusing so much attention on Don's warts and the negativity behind the scenes. Also it would be nice to see the 70s Supremes represented as the only ones to do this with Don. They don't often-if ever-get any representation in movies and tv shows with specific mentions the way that the 60s Supremes do.

Yes lol the only one!
    No, right after shots of her, you can see Jean and Lynda dancing with him too.

Ah OK. See, I didn't know that. Should've watched the whole episode.
    It’a literally in the next shot. Keep watching. It’s a treat!