[REMOVE ADS]

Motown japan - march 2019 releases

Currently being advertised on ebay are the 20 March 2019 releases from Universal Motown Japan which you'll be aware of. Amongst the same old are some choice releases from the likes of Earl Van Dyke, Brenda Holloway, Shorty Long etc.

BOYZ II MEN Cooleyhighharmony with Bonus Tracks [[78867)
    BOYZ II MEN II [[78868)
    THE SUPREMES Produced And Arranged By Jimmy Webb [[78869)
    EARL VAN DYKE & THE SOUL BROTHERS That Motown Sound [[78870)
    EARL VAN DYKE The Earl Of Funk [[78871)
    BRENDA HOLLOWAY Every Little Bit Hurts [[78872)
    SHORTY LONG Here Comes The Judge [[78873)
    KIKI DEE Great Expectations [[78874)
    MANDRE Mandre [[78875)
    NOLEN & CROSSLEY Ambience [[78876)
    SUPREMES Where Did Our Love Go [[78877)
    SUPREMES The Supremes A’ Go-Go [[78878)
    SUPREMES The Supremes Sing Holland–Dozier–Holland [[78879)
    DIANA ROSS & THE SUPREMES Reflections [[78880)
    SUPREMES Love Child [[78881)
    JACKSON 5 Diana Ross Presents Jackson 5 [[78882)
    JACKSON 5 ABC [[78883)
    TEMPTATIONS With A Lot O’ Soul [[78884)
    TEMPTATIONS I Wish It Would Rain [[78885)
    TEMPTATIONS Sky’s The Limit [[78886)
    TEMPTATIONS All Directions [[78887)
    TEMPTATIONS Reunion [[78888)
    TEMPTATIONS Truly For You [[78889)
    FOUR TOPS Second Album [[78890)
    FOUR TOPS Reach Out [[78891)
    MARVIN GAYE In The Groove [[78892)
    MARVIN GAYE & TAMMI TERRELL United [[78893)
    MARVIN GAYE & TAMMI TERRELL You’re All I Need [[78894)
    COMMODORES Machine Gun [[78895)
    COMMODORES Caught In the Act [[78896)
    COMMODORES Commodores [[78897)
    COMMODORES Natural High [[78898)
    COMMODORES Midnight Magic [[78899)
    LIONEL RICHIE Lionel Richie [[78900)
    LIONEL RICHIE Can’t Slow Down [[78901)
    LIONEL RICHIE Dancing On The Ceiling [[78902)
    MARTHA & THE VANDELLAS Heat Wave [[78903)
    MARTHA & THE VANDELLAS Dance Party [[78904)
    SMOKEY ROBINSON & THE MIRACLES Going To A Go-Go [[78905)
    SMOKEY ROBINSON & THE MIRACLES The Tears Of A Clown [[78906)
    EDWIN STARR War And Peace [[78907)
    GLADYS KNIGHT & THE PIPS standing Ovation [[78908)
    GLADYS KNIGHT & THE PIPS Neither One Of Us [[78909)
    CRUSADERS Hollywood [[78910)
    GROVER WASHINGTON, JR. Mister Magic [[78911)
    JERMAINE JACKSON Let’s Get Serious [[78912)
    ODYSSEY Odyssey [[78913)
    SYREETA Syreeta [[78914)
    SYREETA Stevie Wonder Presents Syreeta Wright [[78915)
    LEON WARE Musical Massage [[78916)
    RICK JAMES Street Songs [[78917)
    RICK JAMES Throwin’ Down [[78918)
    RICK JAMES Cold Blooded [[78919)
    MOTOWN SPINNERS 2nd Time Around [[78920)
    DAZZ BAND Keep It Live [[78921)
    DEBARGE All This Love [[78922)
    FANTASTIC FOUR Best Of The Fantastic Four [[78923)
    FINIS HENDERSON Finis [[78924)
    SCHERRIE & SUSAYE Partners [[78925)
    YVONNE FAIR The Bitch Is Black [[78926)

Why is Boyz II Men there?

Yes, they were great, but I'd assume even their first print 1991 and 1994 albums are still massively available, and cheaply affordable, even cheaper when found in the used CD bins.
    Last edited by Ngroove; 03-16-2019 at 12:52 PM.

Mysterysinger: Please educate me regarding Japanese Motown releases. I do not have nor have I ever seen any. I have a few questions:

Are the booklets accompanying the CDs in Japanese? I assume so.
    Is there any difficulty playing these on US CD players? Like the DVD [[regions)
    Is there a specific Japanese website to go into to order these?
    How does the Japanese currency differ from the US currency?

I am certain I am not the only one in the dark about Motown Japanese.

Thank you.

They will be available on Amazon before long and also from the likes of WOW HD - so should be available from your standard suppliers.

Generally these CDs are the same as any other so perfectly playable on any CD player [[at least I've never experienced any issues). In some cases they're made out of super high quality material [[shm) which is designed to enhance playback but still playable on any machine. They will come in standard jewel cases and the booklet [[the basic insert) will faithfully recreate the front and back album covers and be in English. Usually too they come with another fold out, in Japanese and these also often contain lyrics for the songs [[in Japanese).

So you can buy with confidence but if unsure buy one to see how you get on. I'm sure others can comment too on their experiences. The only slight disappointment I had was with the Diana TV show soundtrack which, although an official release, seemed to be recreated from a needle drop - that was most unusual for a Universal release. I've got loads of these Japanese CDs and they're great.

Previous batches have included Jimmy Ruffin "Top 10", The Originals "Portrait Of" and "Baby Im For Real", The Monitors "Greetings", Detroit Spinners "The Original Spinners", Chyck Jackson "Going Back To" and "Arrives", Amos Milburn "The Blues Boss" etc etc. Mostly though, they seem to churn out the same ones every time!!

Here's a couple of examples of what you should get [[I've not included the Japanese insert in these scans though).
    SWITCH https://www.flickr.com/photos/cookep...57670246489628

DETROIT SPINNERS
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/cookep...57689605609116
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 03-16-2019 at 02:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    They will be available on Amazon before long and also from the likes of WOW HD - so should be available from your standard suppliers.

Generally these CDs are the same as any other so perfectly playable on any CD player [[at least I've never experienced any issues). In some cases they're made out of super high quality material [[shm) which is designed to enhance playback but still playable on any machine. They will come in standard jewel cases and the booklet [[the basic insert) will faithfully recreate the front and back album covers and be in English. Usually too they come with another fold out, in Japanese and these also often contain lyrics for the songs [[in Japanese).

So you can buy with confidence but if unsure buy one to see how you get on. I'm sure others can comment too on their experiences. The only slight disappointment I had was with the Diana TV show soundtrack which, although an official release, seemed to be recreated from a needle drop - that was most unusual for a Universal release. I've got loads of these Japanese CDs and they're great.

Previous batches have included Jimmy Ruffin "Top 10", The Originals "Portrait Of" and "Baby Im For Real", The Monitors "Greetings", Detroit Spinners "The Original Spinners" etc etc. Here's an example of what you should get [[I've not included the Japanese insert in these scans though). https://www.flickr.com/photos/cookep...57670246489628
    I’ve purchased many cds from Japan and the only issue is that they take forever to get to the US. Your credit card will handle the currency exchange. I’ve found the ones I’ve purchased to be quite nice and have found rarities like Brenda Lee Refections in Blue, Ella Fitzgerald’s Decca albums years before they were released on knock off labels in the US, and rare Billie Holiday Decca albums that have never been issued in the US.

Thanks to both of you for your valuable input. I appreciate it very much. You have helped me and I am certain that others have benefited from your responses. Thanks again.

Some nice fill-ins for my collection; thanks for posting!

Odd that there are titles in this reissue series that just get issued over and over in Japan. Why GK&The Pips Standing Ovation when it is still available from the last round of releases? I wish some of the other titles such as Silk & Soul had been given an outing.

Having said that, these Japanese reissue sets tend to come in 2 batches. So there's every chance that later in the year there may be another crop of titles. Fingers crossed for the ever elusive Jr Walker titles!

Yes I anticipate there'll be another batch before long but for Jr Walker they always seem to reissue the Shotgun album. Can only hope for more and the missing Originals albums would be good too,

I've found that www.importcds.com is a bit cheaper than Amazon and has most listed.

Here's an example of how they look - in cellophane and with OBI strip on the left. Motown Did It First!

Name:  Brenda Holloway - Every Little Bit.jpg
Views: 2638
Size:  94.8 KB

Wow, Motown are really pushing the 'Motown Did It First' slogan! Even on Japanese CDs!!

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Wow, Motown are really pushing the 'Motown Did It First' slogan! Even on Japanese CDs!!
    Just thinking... "Motown did it first" on what for "Every Little Bit Hurts"? I could see the sticker saying it on maybe possibly "The Artistry Of Brenda Holloway" for "You've Made Me So Very Happy", but I don't really recall any outsiders attempting to swipe "Every Little Bit Hurts" for themselves, for Motown to call it for that album.

So is Motown 60 going to be import CDs basically and not much U.S. releases?

Quote Originally Posted by aarondillon2011@gmail.com View Post
    So is Motown 60 going to be import CDs basically and not much U.S. releases?
    Does Motown Domestic USA, in terms of Motown classic releases, cares any more than just Diana Ross / Supremes / 70s - early 80s Marvin Gaye / Temptations / Jackson Five any more lately any ways?

Quote Originally Posted by Ngroove View Post
    Just thinking... "Motown did it first" on what for "Every Little Bit Hurts"? I could see the sticker saying it on maybe possibly "The Artistry Of Brenda Holloway" for "You've Made Me So Very Happy", but I don't really recall any outsiders attempting to swipe "Every Little Bit Hurts" for themselves, for Motown to call it for that album.
    I think the slogan is just celebrating Motown, in that they "did it first." No other company had such a recognizable and successful signature sound.

In fairness "Every Little Bit Hurts" seemed to become something of a standard amongst certain UK beat groups such as the Spencer Davies Group, Small Faces and others. In terms of that song, Motown may well have it right.

In fairness "Every Little Bit Hurts" seemed to become something of a standard amongst certain UK beat groups such as the Spencer Davies Group, Small Faces and others. In terms of that song, Motown may well have it right.
    Nahh, it's still not like Motown has to say "Motown Did It First" urgently enough on that, like Motown would say it to rebut Blood, Sweat, and Tears for taking "You've Made Me So Very Happy", Mitch Ryder & The Detroit Wheels for taking "Devil With The Blue Dress On" or Doobie Brothers' "Take Me In Your Arms [[Rock Me A Little While)", Linda Ronstadt's "Ooo Baby Baby", Kim Carne's "More Love", Soft Cell's "Where Did Our Love Go", Phil Collins' "You Can't Hurry Love", Kim Wilde's "You Keep Me Hangin' On", ect, ect.
    Last edited by Ngroove; 03-28-2019 at 10:29 PM.

Hmm not sure where urgency comes in given the nature of the celebrations. There are many many songs where Motown can claim to have done it first and they don't all have to be hits at all. But regardless, you'll be seeing a lot more of that sticker. Even where Motown did it second lol

'MOTOWN DID IT FIRST' is no more or less a claim than 'THE SOUND OF YOUNG AMERICA'

It's just a soundbite that 'bigs' up Motown.

And why not?

I quite like the slogan! I think it works well for Motown's 60th anniversary. I have to say I have definitely felt more of an online presence from them this year.

I would ask, why aren't Motown actually involved in reissues like Junior Walker's upcoming CD set? Why only the same reissues? Safe bets maybe?

I quite like the slogan! I think it works well for Motown's 60th anniversary. I have to say I have definitely felt more of an online presence from them this year.

I would ask, why aren't Motown actually involved in reissues like Junior Walker's upcoming CD set? Why only the same reissues? Safe bets maybe?
    I am 100% sure there will be at least on the credits of the Junior Walker set "This is an authorized release of classic Motown recordings" or something close of the sort.

Quote Originally Posted by Ngroove View Post
    I am 100% sure there will be at least on the credits of the Junior Walker set "This is an authorized release of classic Motown recordings" or something close of the sort.
    Oh yeah! But why aren't Motown doing the actual reissuing?

Can anybody tell me for certain what the most recorded song by Motown artists is? I am not an expert, but I am a fan...and judging from LP tacks content I have seen I would say its "Who's Loving You"

Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    Can anybody tell me for certain what the most recorded song by Motown artists is? I am not an expert, but I am a fan...and judging from LP tacks content I have seen I would say its "Who's Loving You"
    Hey gman, I don't think we ever found out, but I started a thread about just that a while ago: https://soulfuldetroit.com/showthrea...d-Motown-Songs

Oh yeah! But why aren't Motown doing the actual reissuing?
    That's what I am wondering. I mean, if it's basically going to be Universal Japan then that's fine it's just I would much prefer Harry and Co's mastering. They do such great work.

What is interesting is that whilst most of the CDs have been issued in one form or another before, until the Earl Van Dyke set of a few years ago, neither "That Motown Sound" nor "The Earl Of Funk" had been officially available. It will be interesting to see what mastering is used on these latest CDs. Similarly, of course, with the Shorty Long and Kiki Dee CDs.

Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    No it isn't "Who's Loving You". Ignoring Live versions, 5 artists have recorded that one, but "Everybody Needs Love" has 6 artists. I expect there are songs that have more artists than that even. DFTMC is such a great source of information.

Again, ignoring Live versions, "For Once In My Life" has been recorded by at least 19 Motown artists. That one has to be a contender. I suspect in any case that it would be Motown's most recorded song by all artists, Motown or otherwise.
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 03-31-2019 at 01:07 PM.

I was able to get the four CDs I wanted through my local record store right here in Philly, no problem. I hope this is only the first of several release groups this year.

You can see the Brenda CD here. The booklet contains lyrics in both English and Japanese. Slight disappointment is that the cover is the re-issued Motown logo rather than the original Tamla [[in this case).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cookep...57704552592192

I would like to see the "Motown 16 Big Original Hits" series or the "Greatest Hits" by Martha, Marvin and Mary in stereo.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Polhill View Post
    I would like to see the "Motown 16 Big Original Hits" series or the "Greatest Hits" by Martha, Marvin and Mary in stereo.
    I think all these have previously been issued on CD except "16 Big Hits Volume 11". I love the Big Hits series though and would welcome an updated set with better sound quality than before.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cookep...57677824468817
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 04-21-2019 at 05:14 AM.

Thank heavens for Japan recognizing Motown's 60th. On the US side it's been nothing but a giant wet fart.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Thank heavens for Japan recognizing Motown's 60th. On the US side it's been nothing but a giant wet fart.
    Tehe...wet fart....lol....but yeah huge let down. Heres hoping the guys have been quiet because they are working on several releases, or maybe they got some bad new.

Here's an example of how they look - in cellophane and with OBI strip on the left. Motown Did It First!

Name:  Brenda Holloway - Every Little Bit.jpg
Views: 2638
Size:  94.8 KB
    I got this new Brenda it sounds great.

Yes I like this one too.

Hello, l’m new here and have questions about the Motown Japanese releases.

Actually, it’s about the inserts with lyrics on CD’s and LP’s. I’m a lyricist. I love singing or following along with the artists when listening to their music. Right now, I’m searching for lyrics for the classic Temptations albums [[actually, it’s after the David Ruffin era), but to me, it’s still classic lol. Can someone please help me with this? The lyrics l seek are for the following albums or just individual songs:

On Broadway [[with Diana Ross and the Supremes)

The Temptations Show [[DVD version)

Slave from Puzzle People [[what actually was Melvin Franklin saying on that one line?)

Psychedelic Shack [[lyrics to the whole song)

1990 [[full album)

House Party [[full album)

Do The Temptations [[full album)

Wings Of Love [[full album)

Reunion [[full album)

The rest are lyrics I’m seeking for the full albums:

Surface Thrills
    Back To Basics
    Truly For You
    Touch Me
    To Be Continued
    Together Again
    Special
    Milestone

Any others, I can’t think of and hope no one minds if l inquire about them later.

Thanks

Also released is a 3 CD compilation. Can't say that the presentation or track listing is anything remarkable but there you go..
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/cookep...57705202215952

Also released is a 3 CD compilation. Can't say that the presentation or track listing is anything remarkable but there you go..
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/cookep...57705202215952
    Don't need tracks 14-16 of Disc 3 but other than that, bravo on attempting to stuff as many hitmakers as possible, although noticeably absent, Rare Earth, Another Bad Creation, and some representatives between 1985-1987, maybe Eldra DeBarge, maybe another Lionel Richie like "Dancing On The Ceiling", but other than that, bravo on recognition on inclusion of Brenda Holloway, Switch, Teena Marie, Mary Jane Girls, Dennis Edwards, and Johnny Gill.

Though no 70s Supremes there.

Though no 70s Supremes there.

Look at this this way; the Supremes, made twenty-two-three top ten billboard pop hits total, yet only one of them is on that collection. Many collections would dismiss out other acts just to make room for them, possibly ixnay the Originals or Isleys or Spinners, or since not enough Motown as a whole collections has them, Switch, Mary Jane Girls, and the nineties acts other than Boyz II Men. But for once, this is not the case, it is more of a quantity of acts this time around.

Although there is still four representatives of Marvin Gaye, oh well...

Or, maybe Motown Japan just does not hold the rights to use Post-Diana Supremes, as all their import releases on the Supremes so far has been Diana Ross & the Supremes, just like it is obvious they can only use Motown-owned Stevie Wonder [[1962-1971).
    Last edited by Ngroove; 05-22-2019 at 10:54 AM.

Well I would prefer to keep Isleys, Originals and Spinners than replace any with Supremes 70s. However the latest batch of CD releases does include the Jimmy Webb album [[see the first post). Getting permission for Stevie releases may well be an issue these days but in the past a complete set of his albums has beenavailable on mini LP CD. At least Japan is celebrating Motown 60.

Well I would prefer to keep Isleys, Originals and Spinners than replace any with Supremes 70s. However the latest batch of CD releases does include the Jimmy Webb album [[see the first post). Getting permission for Stevie releases may well be an issue these days but in the past a complete set of his albums has beenavailable on mini LP CD. At least Japan is celebrating Motown 60.
    Just saying, for instance, I believe the Hitsville USA: the Motown Singles Collection Volume 1 set only had four Diana Ross & the Supremes songs. Three Jean Terrell Supremes songs too, but only four Diana Ross & the Supremes. It'd be easy to, if they wanted to truly focus on all the big hits, to place all their twelve-thirteen number one hits, just like the Motown Story: the First Decade did, but I understood, this is about Motown, thankfully not just the dozen big hit acts, but also the Elgins, the Velvelettes, the Monitors, Shorty Long, even Eddie Holland, Carolyn Crawford, and Chris Clark. Place "Where Did Our Love Go" and "You Keep Me Hangin' On", and one of them coulda been not there.