[REMOVE ADS]

Dionne Warwick remembers her friends Aretha Franklin and Nancy Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I knew Dionne and Nancy were quite close, but i thought Dionne and Aretha had issues and were not particularly close?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I knew Dionne and Nancy were quite close, but i thought Dionne and Aretha had issues and were not particularly close?
    From what I've read, Dionne and Aretha were friends as both have said so. In a recent interview, Dionne said that Aretha was reactive and after she sent the infamous fax, might have thought the next day "Why did I do that?"

I think they just accepted Aretha as she was, quirks and all. Tina Turner sort of said the same after Aretha didn't like some comments Tina made and spoke to USA Today. Tina said "She's always been like that. We accepted that from her."
    Last edited by reese; 03-13-2019 at 02:44 PM.

These women went back many decades together. They are practically life long friends.

Very classy of Dionne to acknowledge Aretha in that way especially considering Aretha's foolishness in her latter years. In "From These Roots" Aretha acknowledged that Dionne was one of her showbiz friends.

you recently lost two of your close friends , talk about it ....

I sure hope this interviewer got approval ahead of time and didn't ambush her about this.

Dionne handled it OK , but certainly didn't go deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    you recently lost two of your close friends , talk about it ....

I sure hope this interviewer got approval ahead of time and didn't ambush her about this.

Dionne handled it OK , but certainly didn't go deep.
    I think Dionne has known the guy interviewing her for a good while.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    From what I've read, Dionne and Aretha were friends as both have said so. In a recent interview, Dionne said that Aretha was reactive and after she sent the infamous fax, might have thought the next day "Why did I do that?"

I think they just accepted Aretha as she was, quirks and all. Tina Turner sort of said the same after Aretha didn't like some comments Tina made and spoke to USA Today. Tina said "She's always been like that. We accepted that from her."
    A lot of the female acts said the same thing about Aretha that "eh that's just how she is". One thing though: they always respected her [[pun intended) and I'm sure she respected them too...in her own way lol

Mary Wilson visited Aretha before she passed and they talked about growing up together in t he old neighborhood, etc. Mary also sang and spoke at her longtime friend Nancy Wilson's funeral.

I think it's important to acknowledge also that during the last X amount of years of the Queen's life she was being treated for pancreatic cancer. Any cancer can affect one's mental health, and certainly the meds she may have been on may have had any number of side effects related to decision making. When it became clear that the Queen was on her way out, I thought about the whole fax thing with Dionne and said "a ha!" because at the time it just didn't make sense. Ree has always been high strung but taking offense to something that happened years ago and then claiming that Dionne was never her friend...none of that made sense. Knowing what I know now, it's very likely the Queen wasn't exactly in her right mind.

Thanks for sharing this clip Marv2. It's great to hear Dionne Warwick reflections on two iconic performers [[who she had close friendships with) who are now gone. And yes RanRan 79; Aretha's treament for cancer in her final years probably explains the comments that she made about Dionne [[and to paraphrase what her other friends said about her, 'that's just how she was').