[REMOVE ADS]

Jesse Martin as Marvin Gaye

Thoughts?

It's okay, not blown away by it

But I will say this, Jesse definitely looks the part

What happened to this project? was it completed and released?

The project was halted for two reasons:
    1.) Focus Features decided not to fund it after the film began to go over budget. They claimed they had three weeks to finish it. It never got finished after FF left.
    2.) The Gaye family [[mainly Janis and Marvin's three children) and Berry Gordy also reportedly stepped in to stop them from releasing it [[they - and Sony Music - already forbade them from using Marvin's voice and music in the film).

Now it sits in limbo and will never come out.

Also, I think, sad to say, Jesse L. Martin’s career is no longer where it was when this project was announced. When the recent “Rent” Live musical was on and the original cast was brought out, including Jesse, I thought to myself: “What has he been doing? Whatever happened to the Marvin Gaye bio-pic?”
    I think when a Marvin Gaye film is made that it won’t be with Jesse. I do hope they use Marvin’s vocals instead of having new non-Marvin vocals.

If you’re not able to use Marvin Gaye’s music in a Marvin Gaye movie what the point?

Marvin had a lot of troubles himself I’m not sure the Gaye family would ever allow a “warts and all” biopic if the decision is up to them

I did like that seemed to be focused on Marvin’s time in Europe making sexual
    Healing and his tragic death

Just the last few years of his life with a few flashbacks

I’ve always thought that cradle to grave biopics are spread way to thin

That said if we’re going to get a specific era Marvin movie I’d prefer focusing on making what’s going on

Probably starting with Tammi’s death, recording the single, the fight to get it released, making the rest of the album

I’d very interested in a film on that

Just release. Who cares who has a problem with it. The family needs to stop whining like a bunch of old ladies.

Quote Originally Posted by Fourtopsbiggestfan View Post
    Just release. Who cares who has a problem with it. The family needs to stop whining like a bunch of old ladies.
    They can't do it legally anyway. It is like five years old. No.

Is the film done and is just in the vault?

Or was it stopped before filming was completed?

Quote Originally Posted by Optimal Saint View Post
    Is the film done and is just in the vault?

Or was it stopped before filming was completed?
    Stopped before it was completed.

Thoughts?

Oh yeah I remember this. They talked about him playing Marvin about 10 -15 years ago. He is way too old for part now,but I believe it would have worked back in the early 2000s.

If you’re not able to use Marvin Gaye’s music in a Marvin Gaye movie what the point?
    well, Jennifer Hudson is playing Aretha Franklin and, as from what I’ve read, it’s Hudson who we will be hearing, not iconic Aretha. In other biopics, they had the person portraying the singer/performer record their own versions of the songs. It would be a shame if they didn’t use Marvin’s voice, but, say, if he is cast, have John Legend sing Marvin’s songs.

Quote Originally Posted by zani57 View Post
    well, Jennifer Hudson is playing Aretha Franklin and, as from what I’ve read, it’s Hudson who we will be hearing, not iconic Aretha. In other biopics, they had the person portraying the singer/performer record their own versions of the songs. It would be a shame if they didn’t use Marvin’s voice, but, say, if he is cast, have John Legend sing Marvin’s songs.
    I guess what I meant by what’s the point was not being able to use Marvin’s Motown songs and in this case I think Jesse’s Sexual Healing isn’t great

Jennifer Hudson is a fantastic singer and can absolutely hold her own singing Aretha’s songs

But it would be like making an Aretha movie that only has the rights to Who’s Zooming Who and in that case I’d also say what’s the point

John Legend? Really? His voice is souless in my opinion.

Jesse Martin is 50 years old. Marvin Gaye was 44 when he died.

Honestly there weren't many men who looked like Marvin, he was unique in that regard. Like in this picture, you can clearly see WHY everyone fawned over him:

Name:  153545839.jpg
Views: 1385
Size:  65.9 KB

And that voice? Jesse fails at that lol

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    John Legend? Really? His voice is souless in my opinion.
    Yes, Marv, I agree. That was my point. Who wants to hear John Legend? But, if a biopic of Marvin were made right now, I have a fear that he might be the go-to guy for it and studio chiefs would think he could sing the songs instead of lip-synching to Marvin's original vocals.

Yes, Marv, I agree. That was my point. Who wants to hear John Legend? But, if a biopic of Marvin were made right now, I have a fear that he might be the go-to guy for it and studio chiefs would think he could sing the songs instead of lip-synching to Marvin's original vocals.
    Hell no! John Legend as Marvin Gaye would be worse than Flex Alexander as Michael! [[I cringe just remembering that)

Oh ok. I misunderstood. I will say that if Marvin's family has any say so, John Legend would never be involved. Especially now that he's come out publicly against Michael Jackson.

Quote Originally Posted by jboy88 View Post
    Hell no! John Legend as Marvin Gaye would be worse than Flex Alexander as Michael! [[I cringe just remembering that)
    That was pretty awful. Remember when they had Joseph Fiennes play Michael in a TV movie over in the UK?

They'll probably never be able to make a movie of Michael Jackson again . Who would they find to portray him who could naturally represent his skin tone[[s) ?? lol!!

Marvin Gaye was one of the most beautiful men in show business. Hiring John Legend to play him would be like hiring Michelle Williams of Destiny's Child to play Donna Summer.

If a film with Marvin is gonna be made with Marvin's music, the actor gotta at least have his own voice too while working out the songs in the studio before he gets on the mic...

I would just like to say, John Legend can definitely sing and definitely has soul in my opinion!! But, having said that, I don't think he would be right to play Marvin Gaye. No.

No to Jennifer Hudson and no to John Legend. Both are very talented, but in the case of Hudson, she just doesn't do anything for me when she sings most of the time. And John, I just really hate his voice. IMO there isn't any similarity between the Queen and Hudson's voice, nor that of John and Marvin.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    And John, I just really hate his voice.
    But why RanRan?

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    IMO there isn't any similarity between the Queen and Hudson's voice, nor that of John and Marvin.
    I agree with you there

I watched the trailer again and wasn’t as down on as I was the first time

A bit odd that a movie about the prince of Motown prominently featured a song by Wilson Pickett

WHOAAAAAAAAAAA????? WHERE DID THIS-JOHN LEGEND STUFF COME FROM,I'M A FAN OF HIS BUT HE AIN'T NO MARVIN,AND LET'S BE FOR REAL HERE GANG THIS MOVIE AIN'T N-E-V-E-R GONNA GET MADE,NOT THE WAY THAT HIS FANS WANT IT TO BE...[an if they let Suzanne DuPass anywhere near his story,I'm gonna shave my head take a slow boat to Tibet and spend the rest of my life in a Turtle's shell]!!

Darius McCrary, [[Eddie from Family Matters) stated that he would love to play Marvin Gaye in something. I could see it in an episode of “American Soul” but not in a leading role. But that’s just my take.

Darius? Really? Lol

Thoughts?

I’m not sad this didn’t get finished! A Marvin Gaye film without the Motown music/story is like a bowl of Cheerios without the milk!