[REMOVE ADS]

Mahogany - what if...

I was just re-reading some of Randy's Diana bio and going through the section where she and Gordy are preparing for Mahogany. and got me thinking about things with the film

in the book, it mentions that she was eager to have Jack Nicholson cast as the photographer. very interesting!!

and we all know about her doing the costumes.

and we all know about the problems between the original director [[Tony Richardson) and Berry

so there are a LOT of what-ifs here

while it's a fun and enjoyable movie, i think we can mostly agree that it was a bit of a step down from Lady. not nearly as demanding of a role.

So what might you have rather seen happen with the film? or ways to improve the film? or do differently?

not sure what the problem was with the original director and BG. but it makes me laugh how he just made himself a director overnight. i always wanted to see what direction the film would have went with the original director.... it did seem like a step down. to me BG should not have been envolved. just my opinion. but based on the end result, I would have went with Tony

i agree - i think with Tony Richardson it could have been a stronger end result

All of the Tony Richardson scenes were the strongest scenes. Her acting in the office, while not that much happens, shows she had the chops to be cinematic, in character and deftly perform the material. BG taking over sucked hugely - ruined her follow up to Lady.

Tony Richardson was a great director. Diana is wonderful in this movie but the casting is not.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    All of the Tony Richardson scenes were the strongest scenes. Her acting in the office, while not that much happens, shows she had the chops to be cinematic, in character and deftly perform the material. BG taking over sucked hugely - ruined her follow up to Lady.
    I thought the only Tony Richardson scenes were with the would be rapist. It would be interesting to know exactly what scenes he filmed?.......If indeed you know.

I don’t know for sure. I’m pretty certain the rapist scene is Gordy’s - I read something about his input on the confrontation. Nina Foch commented on her happiness working with Tony Richardson which leads me to believe the shots IN Marshall Fields were his as they are well composed compared to the crap BG was turning out. I wish I had an exact list - like on GWTW comparing thevCukor scenes VS Fleming.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    I don’t know for sure. I’m pretty certain the rapist scene is Gordy’s - I read something about his input on the confrontation. Nina Foch commented on her happiness working with Tony Richardson which leads me to believe the shots IN Marshall Fields were his as they are well composed compared to the crap BG was turning out. I wish I had an exact list - like on GWTW comparing thevCukor scenes VS Fleming.
    Many thanks. I believe filming started in Chicago, so i guess it could be any of those early scenes before Tracy heads off to Rome. In hindsight it was the scene involving the rapist and the dispute over which actor should be used when Gordy first took over as director..

Quote Originally Posted by Albator View Post
    Tony Richardson was a great director. Diana is wonderful in this movie but the casting is not.
    I agree Albator. Diana does her best with a weak script, but some of the supporting cast were pretty awful. Jean-pierre Aumont is way to camp and Marisa Mell as Carlotta is simply wooden.
    On the plus side, Bea Richards as Aunt Florence gives a wonderful performance, and Nina Foch as Miss Evans is divine.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I agree Albator. Diana does her best with a weak script, but some of the supporting cast were pretty awful. Jean-pierre Aumont is way to camp and Marisa Mell as Carlotta is simply wooden.
    On the plus side, Bea Richards as Aunt Florence gives a wonderful performance, and Nina Foch as Miss Evans is divine.
    It was also nice to see Beah Richards reunite with Diana for OUT OF DARKNESS.

Re MAHOGANY, I always imagined an unfilmed scene with Tracy bringing Aunt Florence to Rome to show her what she become. After all, Aunt Flo helped out with the design samples.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    It was also nice to see Beah Richards reunite with Diana for OUT OF DARKNESS.

Re MAHOGANY, I always imagined an unfilmed scene with Tracy bringing Aunt Florence to Rome to show her what she become. After all, Aunt Flo helped out with the design samples.
    I imagine Aunt Florence being taken to Rome and much to Tracys dismay becoming the toast of the town as a very in demand model for 40+ womens clothing. A disillusioned Tracy heads back to Chicago to assist Brian with his political campaign and to help make the tea..............I knew i should have been a script writer lol.

Reese I think that would have been an excellent addition to the script! Ollie your script would've been hilarious!

It's been years since I've watched Mahogany [[even though I have it on DVD) but it's never been a fav movie of mine. I think the movie is interesting up until Tracy goes to Rome and then doesn't get interesting again until she comes back to Chicago. Diana and Billy Dee had great chemistry. I would've liked to have seen Mahogany do even more with their relationship. While the romantic in me loves the ending, I would have liked to see that message paired with the idea that you really can have both love and pursue your dream at the same time. There just has to be some compromise.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I imagine Aunt Florence being taken to Rome and much to Tracys dismay becoming the toast of the town as a very in demand model for 40+ womens clothing. A disillusioned Tracy heads back to Chicago to assist Brian with his political campaign and to help make the tea..............I knew i should have been a script writer lol.
    Too funny!

i like the idea of the Aunt returning to the story. she might have been the one to help Tracie realize her life was so f'd up. And they didn't really seem to do enough in Chicago with building the romance up. basically they played air hockey and Diana made some posters for his campaign lolol. didn't realize translate that they'd become hot and heavy.

agreed that many of the other performances were wooden and blah. Anthony Perkins was ok but it'd have LOVED to see Jack Nicholson in the role. Imagine how bat shit crazy he would have become. And he can convey a deeper sense of evil than Tony.

the role of Christian sort of seemed to come out of nowhere. he's at the show where Tony ridicules Mahogany on the runway and then he pops in a few other times. But there's nothing to really show he's infatuated with her. they just didn't seem to have enough screen time together to capture his growing love. and frankly he just comes across as a dirty old man wanted to tap Tracie's ass. And frankly that just makes him a lech. had he really shown he was totally in love with her, it might have been more effective.

and what the hell was the purpose of Carlotta lol? she's in the first Rome scene in the office and then telling tracie backstage that "well make so much money money money" that scene would have been perfect to cue up Abba's Money Money Money lololololol But they could have done more with her too. working together with Tracie to make the line. supporting and encouraging her. maybe more scenes where she and tracie interact with Christian.

wonder what scenes and content ended up on the cutting room floor?

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    wonder what scenes and content ended up on the cutting room floor?
    The better movie.

Quote Originally Posted by ranran79 View Post
    the better movie.
    ^ lololol