[REMOVE ADS]

Prayers for Alex Trebek

He announced yesterday that he has stage four pancreatic cancer. The same form of cancer that claimed Aretha six months ago. Hopefully he can overcome such a grim diagnosis.

This hurt me when I heard it yesterday. I watch Jeopardy almost every evening and although I clearly don't know him, I feel almost as if I do.

Yes, I heard it and was stunned. I met and played golf with Alex Trebex in 1988. We talked for a good while. I complimented him on his suits he wore on television and he explained to me that he grew up very poor in Canada and could not afford suits then. He had something like 700 suits by the time I met him. A very nice man. A very good guy and I pray that he survives this.

It is ironic that Art Fleming, the original host of Jeopardy also had Pancreatic Cancer.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 763
Size:  21.1 KB
    Sorry to hear this. I wish him and his family the best.
    Another of the famous Canadians who became icons on US TV. Our family was friendly with Monty Hall, who came from Winnipeg. Alex was a classy guy.

I've heard nothing but good things about him. I never knew that his family was poor. But, a lot of immigrant families arrived in Canada with nothing. So, I'm guessing that his parents had come under those conditions, and took awhile to get into decent shape financially.

So many immigrants with no assets, were only allowed into Canada to work on farms in The Prairie Provinces, to populate those areas, and make Canada's extension to The West Coast viable. So, a lot of those immigrants had to start out with the meagre salaries of farm labourers, and scrimp and save for a few years until they could scrape up enough money to start a business. That's what my grandparents and great uncles and aunts did, and why they ended up in Winnipeg.
    Last edited by robb_k; 03-09-2019 at 02:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    It is ironic that Art Fleming, the original host of Jeopardy also had Pancreatic Cancer.
Views: 711
    Pancreatic cancer is common enough for that to be a coincidence. But, some people might guess that there was an environmental source of the cancer in their studio. But, then, would such a source [[carried in the air, or drinking water) lead to harming the pancreas, in particular)?

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 711
    Pancreatic cancer is common enough for that to be a coincidence. But, some people might guess that there was an environmental source of the cancer in their studio. But, then, would such a source [[carried in the air, or drinking water) lead to harming the pancreas, in particular)?
    Robb I don't know. I do remember watching Jeopardy with Art Fleming when I was a kid. I am very sad about the news of Alex Trebek. The guy is geniune, no ego that I could pick up on. I do believe that there are currently environmental factors that are leading to a whole host of diseases that were not very common just a few years ago such as Alzheimers, Dementia and a series of cancers.

It may be environmental but I'm sure the studio is not the same one that Art Fleming was in. Plus, he's now a very youthful looking 78 years old, so it's possible it's just time for his body to lose its ability to fight everything. The harshest part of the diagnosis is that his diagnosis is for potentially metastatic cancer. I heard that the survival rate is 4% and his age will definitely work against him. But then, he appears to be a strong and otherwise healthy guy, so he has a puncher's chance to beat this.