[REMOVE ADS]

Question on CD Packaging.

To my knowledge there are basically 5 types of packaging that Motown has used on CDs.

First is the jewel case. Usually only one CD but evolved into two CDs.

Second is the double thickness package consisting of two CDs.
    Example: Mary Wells, Looking Back - Marvelettes Deliver the Singles

Third is the bound box holding four CDs in individual removable jewel cases.
    Example: Marvin Gaye Classics Collection

Fourth is a bound folder with sections for 4 CDs. Example: Four Tops Forever

Fifth is the one that puzzles me. It is the Marvin Gaye Collection which consisted of four CDs in jewel boxes in a flat box with 2 across and 2 deep
    and an accompanying book on Marvin.

My question is the Marvin Gaye Collection. Is this the only Motown release that has ever been packaged in this fashion? It is virtually 12 x 12.

I hope I am not complicating my question too broadly. I love the packaging for the Marvin Gaye Collection but I am wondering if this is the only one that has been packaged in this manner.

The Marvin Gaye Collection is the only one I recall that was packaged in that way. I guess they wanted to have a package that would accomodate cds or cassettes, plus a nice booklet.

Some variants:
    Motown Spectrum has issued 5 album sets with the CDs in card mini LP covers and all 5 in a slim outer cardboard box. J5, Tempts and Motown Chartbusters sets

There have been digipak versions of several standard CD releases such as the Ultimate series and albums by Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder etc.

Some CDs come in a booklet form such as the Marvin Gaye Story and J5 Story.

Then there are packs of individual jewel case CDs issued together in an outer cardboard box, such as Marvin Gaye's MPG/How Sweet/and Nat Ki[[ng Cole I think [[need to check) but these typically come in packs of 3 and there are more by Marvin, J5, Michael etc.

Then the card cased twofers with individual CD albums sliding into the card packaging [[several examples by Dross, J5 etc).

I think there are other types [[and even more if you included hip-O).
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 03-07-2019 at 10:32 AM.

The Marvin Gaye set is the only Motown set I have that has the 4 CDs in jewel cases with all 4 visible [[but the Phil Spector "Back To Mono" set is exactly the same).

The next nearest Motown sets are the box sets that have 4 CDs in individual jewel cases and 2 compartments that hold 2 each plus a booklet. Examples here are the two "Hitsvile USA" sets and the "Forever Diana" release [[see below).

Name:  DIANA_ROSS_FOREVER+DIANA+ROSS+-+MUSICAL+MEMOIRS-410223b.jpg
Views: 800
Size:  15.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    The Marvin Gaye set is the only Motown set I have that has the 4 CDs in jewel cases with all 4 visible [[but the Phil Spector "Back To Mono" set is exactly the same).

The next nearest Motown sets are the box sets that have 4 CDs in individual jewel cases and 2 compartments that hold 2 each plus a booklet. Examples here are the two "Hitsvile USA" sets and the "Forever Diana" release [[see below).

Name:  DIANA_ROSS_FOREVER+DIANA+ROSS+-+MUSICAL+MEMOIRS-410223b.jpg
Views: 800
Size:  15.9 KB
    Is this a European version of FOREVER DIANA? The US version I have doesn't have the red background behind the titles of each cd, and it doesn't include the beige insert with album covers. Mine came with a small card advertising Diana's SECRETS OF A SPARROW.

Yes that's a European release and is, in fact an EMI version. Got mine secondhand and it didnt have that extra insert. I think I would have preferred the US Motown version.

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    Fifth is the one that puzzles me. It is the Marvin Gaye Collection which consisted of four CDs in jewel boxes in a flat box with 2 across and 2 deep
    and an accompanying book on Marvin.

My question is the Marvin Gaye Collection. Is this the only Motown release that has ever been packaged in this fashion? It is virtually 12 x 12.

I hope I am not complicating my question too broadly. I love the packaging for the Marvin Gaye Collection but I am wondering if this is the only one that has been packaged in this manner.
    That Marvin Gaye box was produced when the boxed set format was new. You can find many sets packaged that way, including from Rod Stewart, Bee Gees, Eric Clapton, and Elton John.

BTW, that Marvin Gaye Collection box is terrible. That's why it was totally redone and titled "The Master".

The Diana Ross box is awful! It's clumsy, and sounds awful! Ross was in charge of it. She should have hired reissue experts who know what they are doing.

According to my knowledge CD packaging is very important for the protection of the product.

I wasn`t aware that "The Marvin Gaye Collection" had been repackaged.I know that "The Master 1961 to 1984" was reproduced in a smaller format. I would like to have a more manageable version - mine is looking really tatty.