[REMOVE ADS]

Love is Here and Now You're Gone

This is one of the most dramatic/classiest outputs of the Supremes [[in my opinion). As a young kid listening to it on the radio and later from the album I was able to get, I always had a couple of questions about this production?

1. What special technique [[or vocals) were used to get that heavenly/ethereal sound of the female voices in the intro and during the choruses under the spoken lines? Is it Mary and Florence? Are these voices being combined with some other special instrument[[s) to get that sound?
    2. As a kid, I thought that the "cough" sounds that Diana made after the spoken lines were just the result of a switch in the studio that was being turned off making the static sound. I recall a few years after this, Diana used to use the hiccup technique a lot, however, I don't recall her doing in in concert quite as much during this particular time period [[1966-67).
    3. I don't have my Expanded booklet available so I don't recall where the instrumental track was recorded. If it was all done in the Snakepit, I guess several sessions were necessary to get all of those instruments in the final product.

Those high "aahs" are the Andantes. Flo and Mary do the rest. I believe the track was recorded in LA, not Detroit. This is one of my all time fav Supremes singles. It's one of those perfect records. I love the track, the lyrics, Diana's lead and Flo and Mary's background.

One of my favorite Supremes songs. It was a treat to hear Diana sing this in 2000. She should add songs like this to her set list again.

This is one of The Supremes' classiest singles. Masterful. Not one I immediately latched onto but one that grew and grew and grew on me. The production is absolutely fantastic and Diana is so wonderful on it. Bloody love it.

"Look at me, see what loving you has done to me...!"

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    This is one of The Supremes' classiest singles. Masterful. Not one I immediately latched onto but one that grew and grew and grew on me. The production is absolutely fantastic and Diana is so wonderful on it. Bloody love it.

"Look at me, see what loving you has done to me...!"
    Yes! Those lyrics are so serious!

"See what loving you has done to me
    Look at my face
    See how crying has left its trace
    After you made me all your own
    And you left me all alone
    You made your words sound so sweet
    Knowing that your love I couldn't keep..."

Diana was great. And for me, Florence's voice repeating "...look at my face...left it's trace...left me all alone" adds to the drama and sadness of it all. Not that Mary aint doing her thang too, but I hear Flo a bit more prominently than Mary here. It was definitely clear that the girls had come a long way from the early baby songs and cooing and oohing.

Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    One of my favorite Supremes songs. It was a treat to hear Diana sing this in 2000. She should add songs like this to her set list again.
    I agree. She should drop "My World Is Empty Without You" or "You Can't Hurry Love" in favor of this. She had twelve number one hits with the Supremes. I'd be nice to hear the others than just the same 4 or 5 she does.

I agree with “My world is empty”. But regarding “you can’t hurry love”. Thanks to Phil Collins and various movies, commercials, etc. that song has endured and is one of their more popular songs with young and old alike. She should put “baby love/ stop in the name/ where did our love go”, back in a medley. Then drop love child and add “love is here”, “ symphony “, “I’m gonna make you love me”. For gods sake, please drop “more today than yesterday”.

this is my absolute least fav #1 lol. my complaints are the harpsichord sound and the bounciness of the bass line. IMO the bounciness is like In And Out Of Love which i don't care for either

think this is a great Ross vocal and worth her adding it to her show list. when I saw Diana in atlantic city about 5 years ago she dropped WHERE/BABY/HURRY and added reflections ,my world is empty,come see about me.hangin on. great show.
    I think she should add Love Is here,symphony.

I was told, and I don't remember by whom, that the high notes on the intro and during the spoken verses was some type of organ. Not vocals. During RTL it was recreated pretty close to the original.

Of all the No. 1's, this one sold the least, barely half a million copies.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    I was told, and I don't remember by whom, that the high notes on the intro and during the spoken verses was some type of organ. Not vocals. During RTL it was recreated pretty close to the original.

Of all the No. 1's, this one sold the least, barely half a million copies.
    Love Is Here is one of my favorites of the Supremes’ hits. I knew it wasn’t one of the biggest sellers, but I’m surprised The Happening outsold It...

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    this is my absolute least fav #1 lol. my complaints are the harpsichord sound and the bounciness of the bass line. IMO the bounciness is like In And Out Of Love which i don't care for either
    It was always one of my least favorite Supremes songs too, but for some reason it has become one of my absolute favorites over the past few years. It is so unlike the other Supremes classics. A truly unique and classy performance with all three ladies playing their part.

Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post
    I don't have my Expanded booklet available so I don't recall where the instrumental track was recorded. If it was all done in the Snakepit, I guess several sessions were necessary to get all of those instruments in the final product.
    According to the info from TCMS-1967 & the Expanded Edition of Supremes Sing HDH, the instrumental track for "Love Is Here And Now You're Gone" was done in Los Angeles while the vocals [[and the overdubs) were done in Detroit. Yes indeed, this is one of The Supremes best and most dramatic hits [[and the little vocal 'tics' that Diana used on the spoken parts of the song became a Big influence on Michael Jackson).

BayouMotownMan, I also wondered if those 'ahs' at the beginning and under the narration were a careful and creative mix of voices and an organ type of instrument. It sounds like there are vocals that may have been [[through a creative process later on) moved up an octave to give them that angelic sound and then mixed with another instrument. Man, what HDH could come up with!!! Along with their innovative masterpieces such as 'Bernadette', 'Seven Rooms of Gloom', and 'You Keep Me Hangin' On [[quite different for the Supremes at the time)', 'Love is Here' demonstrates the team's 'ahead of their time' abilities. I have often thought many of their compositions/productions had a unique type of complexity to them.

Another 'word on the street' that I heard or read many years ago is that another writer [[not credited) worked with HDH in putting this song together. Similarly, I recall hearing that Frank DeVol, although given writing credit with HDH, had the major input into the composition and production of "The Happening." I am off topic here, however, the DeVol sound is definitely apparent in "The Happening" as he was known for writing many TV themes at the time [[example: "Family Affair")
    Last edited by jobucats; 03-08-2019 at 12:49 PM.

It took a while for this song to grow on me and now its one of my top favorite Supremes songs. I just love the dramatic build up of the song to the last verse, Diana's vocals on that last verse really do it for me as well as Flo's prominent "Look what you've done..." on Diana's last spoken verse. What I love even more is the new version released on the HDH expanded edition that have Mary and Flo somberly singing "look what you've done " at the very end of the song.

not sure what sales are,.... but I was told this song sold about 900,000 copies and the Happening a bit less at 800,000. but really who knows. I liked both songs but I like most of the Supremes singles. I think its one of their best.

Pretty far down my favourite list

I've always liked it.....the 2 #1's that have sunk on my list are YCHL...just from hearing too much of Phil's version, and Back In My Arms Again....still in my favs: WDOLG?, Reflections and Someday We'll Be Together. At one point I believe there was Jean led live version circulating...

I've never cared for this one. That and "My World is Empty." Those two have always been among my least favorites. I never felt the melody was terribly interesting and I always thought the lyrics were cheesy, verging on melodramatic. It's about this time that I feel the Supremes started becoming a little more "kitch-y" in terms of their pop material; moving a bit further away from the pulse of pop/rock and, after the departure of HDH, toward a more empty sound [[with the exception of standouts like "Reflections," "Love Child," "Someday We'll Be Together," and a few others).

Quote Originally Posted by antceleb12 View Post
    I've never cared for this one. That and "My World is Empty." Those two have always been among my least favorites. I never felt the melody was terribly interesting and I always thought the lyrics were cheesy, verging on melodramatic. It's about this time that I feel the Supremes started becoming a little more "kitch-y" in terms of their pop material; moving a bit further away from the pulse of pop/rock and, after the departure of HDH, toward a more empty sound [[with the exception of standouts like "Reflections," "Love Child," "Someday We'll Be Together," and a few others).
    Remember the market these records were aimed at. I prefer to think of it as "teen angst".
    Also I love the melody of this and "My World Is Empty". Catchy rather than kitchy

I always loved Diana's dramatic flair on this classic. Love is Here and Now Your Gone was a turning point in Ross' career. This song started to set her apart from her backup gals and other Motown singers.
    Last edited by Circa 1824; 03-09-2019 at 05:10 PM.

I might very well be wrong? But initially wasn't each Supreme to get a speaking part?

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    I might very well be wrong? But initially wasn't each Supreme to get a speaking part?
    Tony Turner mentioned something like that in his book, but I never read it from anyone official. Probably a good thing, as by 1968 when they did it live, they left out the last verse. It would have looked odd for only two of the three to get to speak.

I always loved both the studio recording and the live versions of "Love Is Here." I'm surprised HDH didn't push for "Going Down For The Third Time" in its place as the follow-up to "You Keep Me Hangin' On." I know they were trying to give them a new sound with "Love Is Here," but they should have kept going with soul/rock of "You Keep Me Hangin' On." It was a stark difference from their lighter fare from two years earlier and they could have easily scored a number one with "Going Down."

i always thought Going Down was a highlight from the album and i cant believe it wasnt a single ,nor wasthis song used on the blue 1967 Greatest Hits album. WHAT!
    i would have released GDFTTT before i would issued Somethings You Never Get , The Composer,Lvin In Shame. not a fav of any of these .not supremes calibre material ,imo.

I loved all The Supremes singles as they were released and couldn't wait for the next one. I now rarely play Love Is Here, it's way down on my list of favorite Supremes singles. Ironically, The Happening, which followed LIHANYG, was way down on my list for many years and is now in my top ten.

I was disappointed that Going Down wasn't a single [[or even on any GH album). In hindsight it appears that Love Is Here was a logical choice to follow Hangin' On. It was a different sound which was needed to keep the group contemporary. And of course, The Happening was released quickly on the heels of Love Is Here to coincide with the movie release date.

On checking my Billboard chart books I see that both Love Is Here and The Happening lasted 11 weeks each. There was a 2 month gap between when The Happening fell off the chart and when Reflections entered. Maybe Going Down should have been released as The Happening was losing ground.

However, I find it interesting that Going Down is the flip to Reflections. I wonder if it was used as a strong B-side in case the public didn't care for the sound of Reflections and the DJs could just flip the record to a more familiar Supremes and Motown Sound.

I often wonder about the B-side selections. Were they randomly chosen or carefully selected? Some seem to be strong, possibly chosen in the event a different sound doesn't catch the public's fancy and the B-side might, or to boost the sales of the A-side. For example My World and Everything Is Good About You and Love Is Here and No Stopping Us Now. Some B-side selections have left me scratching my head like Time Changes Things as the flip to Forever Came Today.
    Last edited by johnjeb; 03-10-2019 at 05:12 PM.

i like Going Down but wonder if the problem was TOO much great content. Going Down is great but its not YCHL or YKMHO. those two are mega stars and Going Down is just a star lol. so clearly those other two HAD to be released first. then maybe Going was a bit less groundbreaking and so they went in the direction of Love Is Here

To me this was the one HDH single for the Supremes I didn't really like.

Strangely as I was about to add my comment to this thread, two of Steven Housman's 'Music Chart Facts' came up on my FB feed:

Today [[11 March) is the day the Supremes hit #1 with it and also the day Michael Jackson's 'Rockin Robin' debuted on the charts in 1972 with 'Love is Here And Now You're Gone' as the B-side.

Quote Originally Posted by johnjeb View Post
    I loved all The Supremes singles as they were released and couldn't wait for the next one. I now rarely play Love Is Here, it's way down on my list of favorite Supremes singles. Ironically, The Happening, which followed LIHANYG, was way down on my list for many years and is now in my top ten.

I was disappointed that Going Down wasn't a single [[or even on any GH album). In hindsight it appears that Love Is Here was a logical choice to follow Hangin' On. It was a different sound which was needed to keep the group contemporary. And of course, The Happening was released quickly on the heels of Love Is Here to coincide with the movie release date.

On checking my Billboard chart books I see that both Love Is Here and The Happening lasted 11 weeks each. There was a 2 month gap between when The Happening fell off the chart and when Reflections entered. Maybe Going Down should have been released as The Happening was losing ground.

However, I find it interesting that Going Down is the flip to Reflections. I wonder if it was used as a strong B-side in case the public didn't care for the sound of Reflections and the DJs could just flip the record to a more familiar Supremes and Motown Sound.

I often wonder about the B-side selections. Were they randomly chosen or carefully selected? Some seem to be strong, possibly chosen in the event a different sound doesn't catch the public's fancy and the B-side might, or to boost the sales of the A-side. For example My World and Everything Is Good About You and Love Is Here and No Stopping Us Now. Some B-side selections have left me scratching my head like Time Changes Things as the flip to Forever Came Today.
    johnjeb, I've also had the same query about how B-sides were selected. In my mind, there are several hypotheses; however, none of them fit every scenario:
    1) Another song for potential air play along with the A-side with hopes of it 'catching on'
    2) A financial incentive to a team of writers/producers who could benefit from the sale of the single. NOTE: this brings up another question: What percentage of the sales of the single goes to the writers/producers of the B-side? Is it equal 'in value' to the A-side?
    3) A way to showcase a previous or upcoming album.
    4) Toss all titles into a box; draw one title out and let that be the B-side

Regarding "Goin' Down for the Third Time": while I agree it is a killer song, I have yet to hear a mix of it which I feel gives it that extra punch and wow factor that it would make it a marketable single for the Supremes. All mixes that I've heard do not have that gritty, Motown, snakepit sound for which the Motown singles of that era were known. In my opinion, it needs more compression [[or similar audio effect) to give it that punch.

What percentage of the sales of the single goes to the writers/producers of the B-side? Is it equal 'in value' to the A-side?
    It used to be the same as the A-side so it was very lucrative and why many songwriting teams wanted their own songs on the B-side of an expected smash.

What was that story about Diana 'donating' a B-side writing credit to some ex-Motowner instead of giving him cash when he was down and out? Was it B-side to 'Muscles'?

1) Another song for potential air play along with the A-side with hopes of it 'catching on'
    I think with the Motown competition back than and the quality control meetings, some that didn't quite hit the expected mark were just thrown onto B-sides and 'double-A-sides' were quite a thing back then. This could be the case with 'Goin' Down'. At the time I imagine Motown expected HDH to keep on coming out with better and better stuff so any misses were seen as just B-sides or album tracks. A few years later when HDH had quit, you could see a track like this - with some remixing/production being released in the leaner times when old stuff like Jimmy Mack or Forever Came Today were being resuscitated as singles.
    Last edited by Levi Stubbs Tears; 03-11-2019 at 08:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Levi Stubbs Tears View Post
    It used to be the same as the A-side so it was very lucrative and why many songwriting teams wanted their own songs on the B-side of an expected smash.

What was that story about Diana 'donating' a B-side writing credit to some ex-Motowner instead of giving him cash when he was down and out? Was it B-side to 'Muscles'?
    The song was I AM ME and was written by Janie Bradford and Freddie Gorman. Diana added some lyrics as well, I believe, and ended up with a writing credit as well. It was indeed the b-side to MUSCLES.

In the same vein, I remember reading an article with Janie where she commented on Norman's composition HE MEANS THE WORLD TO ME. It ended up as the b-side to WHERE DID OUR LOVE GO and Janie commented that he made more money from the single's sales because HDH had to split theirs three ways.

Anyone wanna hear Phil Collins singing this one as well? LOOL

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    I always loved both the studio recording and the live versions of "Love Is Here." I'm surprised HDH didn't push for "Going Down For The Third Time" in its place as the follow-up to "You Keep Me Hangin' On." I know they were trying to give them a new sound with "Love Is Here," but they should have kept going with soul/rock of "You Keep Me Hangin' On." It was a stark difference from their lighter fare from two years earlier and they could have easily scored a number one with "Going Down."
    I agree. I think "Going Down" with a different mix should've followed up "Hangin On" and then follow "Going" with "Love Is Here".

"The Happening" is the one single from the FDM period that I do not like. It's such a stupid song, and following behind the brilliance of "Love Is Here" and still hit number one, I think speaks more to the Supremes popularity rather than "The Happening" being this great piece of art.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Anyone wanna hear Phil Collins singing this one as well? LOOL

I love Phil Collins, but this is a no for me. Not that it's bad, it's just...unworthy. His cover of "Hurry Love" was much better.

I hear you Ran. I still like it though.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I love Phil Collins, but this is a no for me. Not that it's bad, it's just...unworthy. His cover of "Hurry Love" was much better.
    But frustratingly based on the inferior stereo mix.