[REMOVE ADS]




Results 1 to 31 of 31

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1

    “Revolving Door” Groups

    15 women have been replacements for Marilyn McCoo’s spot over the years!

  2. #2
    Don't get me started on the Dramatics or the Temptations.

  3. #3
    Lol. I thought similar but I didn’t even mention all the other replacements for the guys in the 5th D!

  4. #4
    The Blue Notes fronted by Harold Melvin have had dozens of replacements (I don't knows about the original quintet fronted by Bernie Williams)

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Don't get me started on the Dramatics or the Temptations.
    Otis said today, on Pandora Radio - Questlove Supreme: "I had to deal with 24 egos!"

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by nativeNY63 View Post
    Otis said today, on Pandora Radio - Questlove Supreme: "I had to deal with 24 egos!"
    Or actually 25, if you include his own.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    Or actually 25, if you include his own.
    He included himself:
    I have only 24 Temptations

    edafan

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by edafan View Post
    He included himself:
    I have only 24 Temptations

    edafan
    Props to him, then.

  9. #9
    Delfonics, Vandellas, Commodores...

  10. #10
    The Drifters... 'Nuff said.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    The Drifters... 'Nuff said.
    The Drifters shut this subject down! There were/are probably 100 of them!

  12. #12
    Here is a good, detailed rundown of all the various Temptations:

    https://soulfuldetroit.com/showthrea...ht=Ricky+Owens

  13. #13
    Well,let's see...clyde mcphatter[started it all]..little david baugh[clyde picked him to lead em after he left]gerhard thrasher..johnny moore[who's great voice carried them for many hits]..bobby hendricks..johnny lee williams..ben e.king[hard to believe he was only there for two years]..rudy lewis..charley thomas[who still performs with them today]..bill pinkney[the great bass]..these are the voices from the golden period-fifties-sixties,i have no idea who's there now.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Well,let's see...clyde mcphatter[started it all]..little david baugh[clyde picked him to lead em after he left]gerhard thrasher..johnny moore[who's great voice carried them for many hits]..bobby hendricks..johnny lee williams..ben e.king[hard to believe he was only there for two years]..rudy lewis..charley thomas[who still performs with them today]..bill pinkney[the great bass]..these are the voices from the golden period-fifties-sixties,i have no idea who's there now.
    JAI those are just some of the well known former members. There were groups of Drifters that only performed in the UK and Europe. I would not be surprised if there was a "Drifters" group that only played Japan. The owner of the trademark just licensed the name out at will.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    JAI those are just some of the well known former members. There were groups of Drifters that only performed in the UK and Europe. I would not be surprised if there was a "Drifters" group that only played Japan. The owner of the trademark just licensed the name out at will.
    I went to a company Christmas party in 1991 and the "Drifters" were performing. I was impressed until they came out and I wondered who the heck those guys were. I was in my 20s and they might have been a couple years older than me. The did a good job though. The party was boring otherwise so I remember singing every single song along with them.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    I went to a company Christmas party in 1991 and the "Drifters" were performing. I was impressed until they came out and I wondered who the heck those guys were. I was in my 20s and they might have been a couple years older than me. The did a good job though. The party was boring otherwise so I remember singing every single song along with them.
    That's how I felt when I saw the Spinners at Coney Island in 2011. Most of the group was younger than me, but when I was really listen to the Spinners in the 70s, the guys were all in my father's age group! LOL!

  17. #17
    Here are the members of the Drifters that Wikipedia lists, although I know there are many more that are not on this list:
    Charlie Thomas
    Louis Bailey
    Stephen Brown
    Jerome Manning
    Jeff Hall
    Clyde McPhatter
    Gerhart Thrasher
    Andrew Thrasher
    Charlie White
    Bill Pinkney
    Willie Ferbee
    Walter Adams
    Ben E. King
    Doc Green
    Derek Ventura
    Bernard Jones
    Lloyd Butch Phillips
    Elsbeary Hobbs
    Rudy Lewis
    Tommy Evans
    Johnny Lee Williams
    Eugene Pearson
    Johnny Terry
    Harrell Dixon
    J.T. Carter
    Johnny Stewart
    Terry King[1]
    Johnny Moore
    Bobby Hendricks
    Butch Leake
    Rudy Ivan
    Jimmy Lewis
    Ray Lewis
    Bill Fredericks
    Louis Price
    Maurice Cannon
    Glenn Dodd
    Pierre Herelle
    Carlton Powell
    Jason Leigh
    Phil Watson
    Michael Raysor
    Dave Revels

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    here are the members of the drifters that wikipedia lists, although i know there are many more that are not on this list:
    Charlie thomas
    louis bailey
    stephen brown
    jerome manning
    jeff hall
    clyde mcphatter
    gerhart thrasher
    andrew thrasher
    charlie white
    bill pinkney
    willie ferbee
    walter adams
    ben e. King
    doc green
    derek ventura
    bernard jones
    lloyd butch phillips
    elsbeary hobbs
    rudy lewis
    tommy evans
    johnny lee williams
    eugene pearson
    johnny terry
    harrell dixon
    j.t. Carter
    johnny stewart
    terry king[1]
    johnny moore
    bobby hendricks
    butch leake
    rudy ivan
    jimmy lewis
    ray lewis
    bill fredericks
    louis price
    maurice cannon
    glenn dodd
    pierre herelle
    carlton powell
    jason leigh
    phil watson
    michael raysor
    dave revels
    cool marv,i had forgotten about-willie ferbee and doc green.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by jerry oz View Post
    i went to a company christmas party in 1991 and the "drifters" were performing. I was impressed until they came out and i wondered who the heck those guys were. I was in my 20s and they might have been a couple years older than me. The did a good job though. The party was boring otherwise so i remember singing every single song along with them.
    jerry,the great[ben e.king]once stated that after a show the-drifters? Wanted to see him backstage,but he didn't know a single one of em!!

  20. #20
    Wasn't the Drifters' name indicative of guys who drifted from group to group? I don't think it was meant to be a business model but that's certainly how it turned out.

  21. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    Wasn't the Drifters' name indicative of guys who drifted from group to group? I don't think it was meant to be a business model but that's certainly how it turned out.
    Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! Jerry, stop! Please...stop. This. Crazy. Thing.
    Drifting from group to group.

  22. #22
    According to Wikipedia, since its inception, Blood, Sweat and Tears have had a staggering 184 members.

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    According to Wikipedia, since its inception, Blood, Sweat and Tears have had a staggering 184 members.
    So, in a very real sense, then, there was a lot of blood, sweat, and Tears drawn amongst the group members.

  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by nativeNY63 View Post
    So, in a very real sense, then, there was a lot of blood, sweat, and Tears drawn amongst the group members.
    Lol! Yeah, I guess so!

  25. #25

  26. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    This is from the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame website:


    https://www.rockhall.com/inductees/drifters
    Oh, the pain. The pain.

  27. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by nativeNY63 View Post
    Oh, the pain. The pain.
    Are you saying that Doctor Zachary Smith was once a member of The Drifters?

  28. #28
    How many members of Rare Earth have there been now?

  29. #29
    Reading through this makes you appreciate the unity of the Four Tops, and how rare that kind of longevity is

    (Although I think the tops have had a few different members since the end of the original quartet)

  30. #30
    Yep,sure did!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.