[REMOVE ADS]

The Story Of Motown - Peter Benjaminson

Just finished reading. An interesting & easy read but I was staggered by a few "facts":
    p 50: Marvin was forced into his early nightclub songs and hated the routine
    p 84: Stevie brought Linda Laurence in as the new Supreme
    p 87: the O'Jays on Motown?
    A pity because a lot of it is obviously researched from first sources, particularly Al Abrams, but with the examples above you just begin to wonder how much really is accurate.
    Still a great effort.

Tony: I agree with your comment about how interesting and easy to read the book was. There were a lot of artists and recording covered in the book, but in my book, Page 50 is blank and nothing is on it. I recall from other books on Marvin and CD liner notes that his interest was not in appearing as a nightclub icon and that he did dislike the routine.

My book says that Stevie brought Lynda [[sp) in as a new Supreme. I did not think that the O'Jays were specified to be a Motown recording artist.

Mr. Benjaminson is one of the country's leading experts on Motown. He would not mislead anyone on anything. He is very credible in my book. A person who shows no bias or misleading information on things he is well versed on.
    Last edited by woodward; 03-03-2019 at 07:47 PM.

This is probably one of my all-time favorite books on Motown!

Although not the most thorough book on the subject, I'm pretty sure it was one of the first, and came out in a day when people were not yet writing seriously about Motown much. I think it may have been the first book about Motown I ever read. Although not exhaustive in terms of research, and it's been a long time since I read it, I think for the most part Benjaminson was pretty careful in his writing and reporting.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Although not the most thorough book on the subject, I'm pretty sure it was one of the first, and came out in a day when people were not yet writing seriously about Motown much. I think it may have been the first book about Motown I ever read. Although not exhaustive in terms of research, and it's been a long time since I read it, I think for the most part Benjaminson was pretty careful in his writing and reporting.
    My first Motown book was by David Morse that came out around 1971.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    My first Motown book was by David Morse that came out around 1971.
    I'm not familiar with that one, but it certainly seems to have come out well before Benjaminson's. In addition, I can see why you noticed it since Mary is on the cover in one of her most glamorous portraits. The "New Ways" album must have just come out when this book was being readied for publication.

Name:  514EFzO44bL._SL500_.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  45.7 KB

I'm not familiar with that one, but it certainly seems to have come out well before Benjaminson's. In addition, I can see why you noticed it since Mary is on the cover in one of her most glamorous portraits. The "New Ways" album must have just come out when this book was being readied for publication.

Name:  514EFzO44bL._SL500_.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  45.7 KB
    Kenneth! LOL! That's it. That's one. I use to check it out from my local library back in grade school. It was a great book with quite a few really nice pics inside. The cover pic did get my attention as it was the picture from their album that came out the year before.

@Marv2, I always thought that was a truly glam photo of Mary! The other one I always loved was the one on the cover of "Right On" where she's flashing that huge diamond that I think one of her many loves had gifted her with. I forget who it was, but I bet you know!

I always thought Mary's beauty was kind of chameleon-like, in that her look could completely change based on how she styled herself. Remember at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction, she almost looked like Tina Turner!

@Marv2, I always thought that was a truly glam photo of Mary! The other one I always loved was the one on the cover of "Right On" where she's flashing that huge diamond that I think one of her many loves had gifted her with. I forget who it was, but I bet you know!

I always thought Mary's beauty was kind of chameleon-like, in that her look could completely change based on how she styled herself. Remember at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction, she almost looked like Tina Turner!
    You're talking about the beehive ring and you're right I know.......but I can't talk about it. LOL!

Yeah, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame she was especially hot looking. She did go through a "Tina Turner" phase for a short while.

You're talking about the beehive ring and you're right I know.......but I can't talk about it. LOL!
    Oh, I see! Well you better protect the great lady's secrets...!

Oh, I see! Well you better protect the great lady's secrets...!
    Yeah and we'd need to stop talking about her here or Ralph is going to have to move this thread! LOL!

This is the cover of my book by David Morse which I bought in the 70s.
    Attachment 15204

@mysterysinger, interesting cover variant. Maybe Morse got stepped on for using Motown photographs which the publishing company didn't have the right to use as the basis for the other design. This design almost looks as if they were trying to make the three girls not be quite identifiable - though from left to right it sure looks like it's meant to be Cindy and Mary...though the girl on the right doesn't look much like Jean, to my eyes anyway.

I have the book with the same cover as Mystery Singer

I have the Benjaminson book as well but even way back, it seemed a little superficial to me

But many of them seemed superficial - Berry’s Diana’s Martha’s Gladys’s Smokey’s

I think they were dwarfed by the level of research Randy Tarraborelli did and none of them went for the sensationalism of Mary’s hit book; the second was irrelevant pretty much except for us fans

Raynoma’s was good and the Andantes book was good was quite amateur in style

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    Mr. Benjaminson is one of the country's leading experts on Motown. He would not mislead anyone on anything. He is very credible in my book. A person who shows no bias or misleading information on things he is well versed on.
    I wouldn't call Peter Benjaminson a leading expert on Motown. At least in my book he isn't. I find people like J Randy Taraborrelli, George, Andy, Harry to be the experts. They know their stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I have the book with the same cover as Mystery Singer

I have the Benjaminson book as well but even way back, it seemed a little superficial to me

But many of them seemed superficial - Berry’s Diana’s Martha’s Gladys’s Smokey’s

I think they were dwarfed by the level of research Randy Tarraborelli did and none of them went for the sensationalism of Mary’s hit book; the second was irrelevant pretty much except for us fans

Raynoma’s was good and the Andantes book was good was quite amateur in style
    The one that sold the most and became the most successful music related autobiography in history was Mary Wilson's "Dreamgirl, My Life As A Supreme"! New York Times Bestseller........

The one that sold the most and became the most successful music related autobiography in history was Mary Wilson's "Dreamgirl, My Life As A Supreme"! New York Times Bestseller........
    Its truly amazing how a book that focuses on Diana Ross becomes the most successful music autobiography.. Wow the power of Diana Ross!! LOL