[REMOVE ADS]




Results 1 to 31 of 31
  1. #1

    Aretha Franklin - When you get right to with it

    Hi guys,
    I have just dicovered this fantastic Aretha's song titled "Whe you get down right to with it" from "With everything I feel in me" album. Can anybody help me to figure out what the title means?

    Does it mean "When you finally get to do somehting you be waiting for"?


    I am not native English speaker and I get confused when it come to this title.

    Many thanks,

    Kamil

    When you get right down to with it
    Isnít this moment what itís all about, boy?
    Oh, when you get right down to with it
    Donít you just feel this moment says everything?

    Holding you, touching you
    And I need a whole life time to do everything
    That I wanna do for you, to you, what I want to with you, oho

    When you get right down to with it
    Doesnít this moment wash away all bad times?
    When you get right down with it
    Doesnít all the hurt you ever felt disappear?

    Holding you, touching you
    And I know that this magic just canít last forever

    When you get right down to with
    Donít you wanna relive this moment
    Again and again and again and again and again and again
    And again and again and again and again and again and again?

    Oh, holding you, touching you
    And I know that the magic just canít last forever

    When you get right down with
    Donít you wanna relive this moment
    Again and again and again and again and again and again
    And again and again and again and again and again and again?


    Over and over, over and over, over and over, over and over
    Again, babe, and again
    Come on, come on, get down with me, baby
    Get down with me, baby

    I wonder if youíll get down with me, baby
    Get down with me, baby
    Get down with me, baby
    Come on, get down with me, baby

    Something to me one more time, get down with me, baby
    Oh, get down with me, baby
    Oh, get down with me, baby
    Oh, get down with me, baby

    Come on, get down with me, baby
    Down with me baby, sock it to me
    Get down with me baby, hey
    Get down with me baby, turn me on, down with me baby, oh

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhvZQ-gBpa0

  2. #2
    Yes, great song from a great lp that needs to be issued on cd. What Aretha is saying is that 'the basic fact is...'

  3. #3
    It sounds to me like Aretha is singing "When you get right down with it" not "... to with it". She sings it that way throughout the song. She simply plays with her phrasing on "with it".

    "When you get right down [to it]" can be restated as "When you get to the essence [of something]" - the heart of the matter, etc.
    Last edited by smallworld; 03-02-2019 at 06:23 PM.

  4. #4
    That is an old Delfonics song. When get right down to it means when you get at the bare, naked truth about things.

  5. #5
    Thank you all guys for the explanation. It makes sense to me now

    I did not know it was not Aretha's song. I love The Delfonics' version as well!

  6. #6
    Here's another cover from the '80s:


  7. #7
    Don't forget Ronnie Dyson's version:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AGUO7EVjog

  8. #8
    There are so many versions of that song from different performers! It's funny I did not know them before!!!
    Thank guys for your posts!

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by kamilbc View Post
    There are so many versions of that song from different performers! It's funny I did not know them before!!!
    Thank guys for your posts!
    It's such a lovely song, and all these fine versions do the song justice.
    Great post kamilbc!

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    It's such a lovely song, and all these fine versions do the song justice.
    Great post kamilbc!
    Is the 'With Everything ...' lp in print on cd in your part of the world? I want!

  11. #11
    Aretha Franklin ‎Ė With Everything I Feel In Me
    Label:
    Atlantic (2) ‎Ė CD 18116-2
    Format:
    CD, Album, Reissue, Unofficial Release
    Country:
    Europe
    Released:
    2007
    Genre:
    Funk / Soul
    Style:
    Soul

    Russia maybe?

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post
    Aretha Franklin ‎– With Everything I Feel In Me
    Label:
    Atlantic (2) ‎– CD 18116-2
    Format:
    CD, Album, Reissue, Unofficial Release
    Country:
    Europe
    Released:
    2007
    Genre:
    Funk / Soul
    Style:
    Soul

    Russia maybe?
    You're warm; this and the CD versions of You, Sweet Passion, Almighty Fire and La Diva are unofficial vinyl rips from the former Soviet Republic of Estonia, I'm told.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Is the 'With Everything ...' lp in print on cd in your part of the world? I want!
    Sadly not.It is one of the few that i have not yet got on cd.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Sadly not.It is one of the few that i have not yet got on cd.
    I hold out hope that 'the final four' (With Everything, Sweet Passion, La Diva, and You) will be on cd. Perhaps David Nathan 2-fers?

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    I hold out hope that 'the final four' (With Everything, Sweet Passion, La Diva, and You) will be on cd. Perhaps David Nathan 2-fers?
    Aretha owned the masters for these and at one point, a deal was set to release them on cd with bonus unreleased tracks but it never happened. With her passing, I thought we might see them finally come out, as did the AMAZING GRACE project, but no such luck as of yet.

  16. #16
    Actually I managed to get those 4 Atlantic albums on CD.
    Name:  20180920_111047.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  85.2 KB

  17. #17
    Im happy to share WAVE or MP3 with you guys. Please let me know in priv message.

    Would you please also explain what "Rock-a-lott" and "What you see is what you sweat" mean?

    I love thise two songs but got a problem to understand their titles

    Kamilbc

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by kamilbc View Post
    Actually I managed to get those 4 Atlantic albums on CD.
    Name:  20180920_111047.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  85.2 KB
    How is the sound? I'm familiar with the grey-market Polish pressings, of which these are probably the source.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by kamilbc View Post
    Im happy to share WAVE or MP3 with you guys. Please let me know in priv message.

    Would you please also explain what "Rock-a-lott" and "What you see is what you sweat" mean?

    I love thise two songs but got a problem to understand their titles

    Kamilbc
    Well. 'Rock-a-lott' is slang, and probably refers to (GASP!!) sex. 'What You See' is a play on words from the American comedian Flip Wilson. Flip had a drag character, Geraldine, who's punchline was 'What you see is what you get', meaning she was not a phony. Aretha's version revised the last word to 'sweat' and tells the listener that s/he should be happy with their own lives and not covet possessions because we never really know what other people's lives are like.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Well. 'Rock-a-lott' is slang, and probably refers to (GASP!!) sex. 'What You See' is a play on words from the American comedian Flip Wilson. Flip had a drag character, Geraldine, who's punchline was 'What you see is what you get', meaning she was not a phony. Aretha's version revised the last word to 'sweat' and tells the listener that s/he should be happy with their own lives and not covet possessions because we never really know what other people's lives are like.
    "Rock-a-Lott" is spelled that way as a tongue-in-cheek reference to former Arista exec Roy Lott.

  21. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    "Rock-a-Lott" is spelled that way as a tongue-in-cheek reference to former Arista exec Roy Lott.
    Interesting!!

  22. #22
    These are made in Estonia. I never heard about polish ones. The sound is not the best but much better than my old vinyls so happy with it. I gues the album "You" sounds quite good.

    Thank you for the title meaning explanation! But still I am kinda confused with What you see is what you sweat. Can word "sweat" can be replaced by an other one that give same sense / meaning of sweat?

    Can it be reworded?

    I am really sorry for being too much. I am so obsessed with that song and it is so frustrating not be able to get to the right meaning of that title?

    Thank you very much!

    P.S If you want those albums pls let me know.

    Kamil
    Last edited by kamilbc; 03-07-2019 at 07:28 PM.

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by kamilbc View Post
    These are made in Estonia. I never heard about polish ones. The sound is not the best but much better than my old vinyls so happy with it. I gues the album "You" sounds quite good.

    Thank you for the title meaning explanation! But still I am kinda confused with What you see is what you sweat. Can word "sweat" can be replaced by an other one that give same sense / meaning of sweat?

    Can it be reworded?

    I am really sorry for being too much. I am so obsessed with that song and it is so frustrating not be able to get to the right meaning of that title?

    Thank you very much!

    P.S If you want those albums pls let me know.

    Kamil
    More later, but 'sweat' technically means to perspire, and in vernacular / slang means to covet, or desire, something unnecessary.

  24. #24
    Thanks a lot PeaceNHarmony. I do know what the basic meaning of sweat is but I could not found any sense in of it when used in the title. It sounded ridicolous with no sense when I was trying to translate into my language.

    I did not know that "sweat" in slang can mean also covet or desire. it's a new thing to me

    Once again thanks a lot for taking your time to reply!!!!!

  25. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    I hold out hope that 'the final four' (With Everything, Sweet Passion, La Diva, and You) will be on cd. Perhaps David Nathan 2-fers?
    I think David has tried to release these in the past without any success. I will drop him a text for any updates. He did say to me quite recently that some of the more recent releases have sold just a few hundred copies worldwide making them uneconomical. Having said that with Aretha's passing there is likely to be more interest in her music than previously.

  26. #26
    I do hope those five album ("Sweet passio", "With everything I feel in me", "You" "La diva" and "Almighty fire") will be released. I can't get my head around those albums were a flop. I think they are great and Aretha's voice sounds awesome.

  27. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I think David has tried to release these in the past without any success. I will drop him a text for any updates. He did say to me quite recently that some of the more recent releases have sold just a few hundred copies worldwide making them uneconomical. Having said that with Aretha's passing there is likely to be more interest in her music than previously.
    Interesting, though unfortunate news. Also kindly advise David that I really want Jerry Butler's 'The Spice of Life' and 'The Sagittarius Movement'. I'm sure he'll do it just for me Hope you are well.

  28. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Interesting, though unfortunate news. Also kindly advise David that I really want Jerry Butler's 'The Spice of Life' and 'The Sagittarius Movement'. I'm sure he'll do it just for me Hope you are well.
    Record companies are finding it increasingly unworthwhile to license product due to such limited sales. David has been knocked back so many times recently.
    The Jerry Butler albums are excellent and i will certainly forward your suggestions to him, but i wouldn't hold out much hope in the current climate.
    Thank you for your good wishes. I am very well thank you, and hope you are too.

  29. #29
    Yeah, those Aretha albums would be great for a SoulMusic release! Perhaps even something like the Thelma Houston 4-album set!!!

    It kinda surprises me that Aretha still has albums that aren't on CD/digital.

  30. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Yeah, those Aretha albums would be great for a SoulMusic release! Perhaps even something like the Thelma Houston 4-album set!!!

    It kinda surprises me that Aretha still has albums that aren't on CD/digital.
    Considering Aretha's stature, Tom, it is rather shocking. I think Bluebrock has the ultimate answer, that of low sales-figure expectations. Though 3 of the titles are of debatable artistic value 'With Everything ...' and 'Sweet Passion' are fan favorites so those are indeed a mystery. I had 'With Everything ...' on 8-track and played it to death in my battered VW Beetle, and 'Sweet Passion' on lp, ditto at home!

  31. #31
    Is the phrase "when you get right down to it" still in regular use anywhere in 2019?

    The Ronnie Dyson version of the song was a number 34 UK hit back in 1971/2 and so received a fair amount of airplay. The phrase was quite familiar to me at the time but I can't recall hearing it being used in decades.

    I think of the phrase as being one of those throw-away expressions that people tend to use as an emphasis when they are thinking about what they really want to say (much as French speakers might say "eh bien") and in modern day Britain people tend to use phrases like "at the end of the day" or "when all is said and done" for such occasions. The meaning of the song's lyrics would be exactly the same if either of those phrases were used instead of "if you get right down to it", or if none of them were included at all.


    Anyway (another one of those throw-away expressions) that's enough of the linguistics Ö here is some music Ö Ö



Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.