[REMOVE ADS]




Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 80
  1. #1

    Mary would love to have a supremes biopic made

    With the success of Dexter Fletcher's Bohemian Rhapsody, Mary Wilson wants him to call her and do the same for the Supremes' story.


    From an article By Halina Watts
    20:46, 1 MAR 2019


    Mary Wilson is urging Bohemian Rhapsody director Dexter Fletcher to give her a call.

    She hopes the infighting and stories behind the 1960s hitmakers can be turned into a blockbuster.

    She also blasted 2006 flick Dreamgirls, featuring Beyonce , insisting it “used” The Supremes’ story but insists they have far more interesting tales to tell.

    Speaking at Elton John’s Oscar Viewing party, she told me: “Dexter has got to call me.

    “You know they say Dreamgirls is based on The Supremes but it is nothing to do with us, they just used our history. We need a story on The Supremes.

    “Ours is much better than that in terms of the essence of women and what we did in a time when women weren’t even out there.”

    The Supremes – Diana Ross, Florence Ballard and Mary – were signed to Motown Records in 1961 and at their peak rivalled The Beatles, becoming America’s most successful vocal group.

    But, for all their hits and fame, the group were plagued by jealousy and substance abuse, all documented in Mary’s two autobiographies.

    In 1976, Florence, who struggled with alcohol, depression and poverty, was found dead in her Detroit home aged just 32 after suffering a heart attack.


    Some even questioned whether or not she had been murdered.

    Diana, 74, who was also at Elton’s Oscars party, quit the band in 1970 and had an ongoing feud with Mary who blamed Diana for destroying the band, claiming she forced out Florence before leaving the group to go solo.


    But Mary insists there are no hard feelings despite an awkward embrace at Elton’s party.

    When I asked about Diana, Mary said: “Di who? Oh, my friend. I would never disagree with what that woman had to say. We are glamour girls.”

    Dexter, give Mary a call!




    https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebri...works-14073621

  2. #2
    I'd like that too. After all, they were one of the greatest American Pop groups.

  3. #3
    Yeah, a Supremes biopic would be great! But, with Dreamgirls out there already, people might think it's not worth doing. Hopefully not.
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 03-01-2019 at 08:36 PM.

  4. #4
    Flo was not found dead at home. She died in the hospital. Hope they get their
    facts correct before they launch into a movie.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
    Flo was not found dead at home. She died in the hospital. Hope they get their
    facts correct before they launch into a movie.
    This would never get made. There are too many people involved with strong connections in the film industry to make it not happen.

  6. #6
    This film won't get made.

  7. #7
    I used to really be about bio-pics, but over the years I’ve found most to be less and less enjoyable. I have a huge problem with most taking artistic liberties and making them historically inaccurate. More and more I find documentaries the proper route for this kind of subject matter. I’ve said for years that the Supremes story would be perfect for PBS’ American Masters. If done the right way they could pull off a stellar documentary, but it would have to be done without Wilson, Ross, Gordy, other Supremes or Motown having any say or control in how it’s written, presented, and edited. This would preserve their story without it being slanted to one’s perspective over the others.

  8. #8
    No movies without the consent of Berry and Diana, no Motown music

    But this is just another silly sensationalist article that is damaging if it’s anything

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    No movies without the consent of Berry and Diana, no Motown music
    Bingo. I believe Gordy has a final sign off on what gets used. I think if a documentary was done that wasn’t about the “backstage drama,” but rather their career and the hard work put into it, I think it may be something he may consider.

  10. #10
    This idea was hatched up at a party among people who probably had a few drinks in them. The success of BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY probably inititated the conversation. I don't expect the idea to go any further than just party conversation.

    I like the idea of a documentatary on PBS. There are some excellent ones on AMERICAN MASTERS

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    With the success of Dexter Fletcher's Bohemian Rhapsody, Mary Wilson wants him to call her and do the same for the Supremes' story.


    From an article By Halina Watts
    20:46, 1 MAR 2019


    Mary Wilson is urging Bohemian Rhapsody director Dexter Fletcher to give her a call.

    She hopes the infighting and stories behind the 1960s hitmakers can be turned into a blockbuster.

    She also blasted 2006 flick Dreamgirls, featuring Beyonce , insisting it “used” The Supremes’ story but insists they have far more interesting tales to tell.

    Speaking at Elton John’s Oscar Viewing party, she told me: “Dexter has got to call me.

    “You know they say Dreamgirls is based on The Supremes but it is nothing to do with us, they just used our history. We need a story on The Supremes.

    “Ours is much better than that in terms of the essence of women and what we did in a time when women weren’t even out there.”

    The Supremes – Diana Ross, Florence Ballard and Mary – were signed to Motown Records in 1961 and at their peak rivalled The Beatles, becoming America’s most successful vocal group.

    But, for all their hits and fame, the group were plagued by jealousy and substance abuse, all documented in Mary’s two autobiographies.

    In 1976, Florence, who struggled with alcohol, depression and poverty, was found dead in her Detroit home aged just 32 after suffering a heart attack.


    Some even questioned whether or not she had been murdered.

    Diana, 74, who was also at Elton’s Oscars party, quit the band in 1970 and had an ongoing feud with Mary who blamed Diana for destroying the band, claiming she forced out Florence before leaving the group to go solo.


    But Mary insists there are no hard feelings despite an awkward embrace at Elton’s party.

    When I asked about Diana, Mary said: “Di who? Oh, my friend. I would never disagree with what that woman had to say. We are glamour girls.”

    Dexter, give Mary a call!




    https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebri...works-14073621

    LOL at "She also blasted 2006 flick Dreamgirls" But Mary Wilson had no problem promoting the film for Extra and taking there $5,000 check for gushing about it on there show.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    LOL at "She also blasted 2006 flick Dreamgirls" But Mary Wilson had no problem promoting the film for Extra and taking there $5,000 check for gushing about it on there show.
    I recall that too. She is good at putting the dollar signs before her principles.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    643
    Pardon me, excuse me, but for all intents and purposes, Dreamgirls was the story of the Supremes. It was the story told from the "fictionalized" perspective of a "super talent" being relegated to the sidelines because of a "less talented hussy." However, we all know that Flo was never a Jennifer Holliday. She was an average singer with a loud voice. And we also know that Diana's voice sold hundreds of millions of records. But, Dreamgirls was clearly the story of the Supremes told from Flo's victimized perspective.

    Another untold perspective of the Supremes would be how the 2 backup gals were insanely jealous of the big star, and how their jealousy destroyed their friendships, careers, and lives.
    Last edited by Circa 1824; 03-02-2019 at 08:26 AM.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    This idea was hatched up at a party among people who probably had a few drinks in them. The success of BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY probably inititated the conversation. I don't expect the idea to go any further than just party conversation.

    I like the idea of a documentatary on PBS. There are some excellent ones on AMERICAN MASTERS
    this reads more like the national enquirer than an actual interview.

  15. #15
    And I see the Ross fanatics ready to strike

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    LOL at "She also blasted 2006 flick Dreamgirls" But Mary Wilson had no problem promoting the film for Extra and taking there $5,000 check for gushing about it on there show.
    Sadly, Ms. Roberta, with Wilson & the $upremes it's all about the check. Would you have any interest in a Supremes biopic? I would not. Why bother? All the real history is known and performances are readily available on YouTube, etc, and we still get to see/hear the glorious lead singer of the Supremes live. The tired history of Wilson's $upremes-era antics and struggles to make a living afterward are well known and don't need rehashing, nor do the sad stories of Florence. I hope you are well!

  17. #17
    Ran you called this one lol. Hypocrisy at its finest is clearly displayed on this thread.

  18. #18
    Am I in the minority here who would WANT a real Supremes biopic? Maybe a mishmash of Mary, the ego of Diana that sold records, and the tragedy of Flo? Maybe all three's point-of-view in one blender? It's too bad the Brewster-Douglass projects got destoryed.

  19. #19
    yes you're in the minority..

  20. #20
    I know this would never happen but a documentary style sit down interview with Diana, Mary and Berry would be my cup of tea. The three of them talking about the hard work, the early days, details of recording the hits and albums, the Copa and just reminisce with each other.

  21. #21
    Behind every good film script there is a conflict, a tension, unless you make films like Doris Day's.
    According to which of the girls the film will focus on, A film about the Supremes will only focus on the rivalries within the group.
    Besides, whether we like it or not, the story ends badly. Only Diana Ross' destiny can make you dream and Flo's destiny can make you cry.

  22. #22
    I read the topic headline and thought, chucklingly, "Well, peopple in hell want ice water, too." No way could such a pic be made without the music, and the rights will remian where they are until it goes into public doman, at which time nobody will care anyhow. Dream on...

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by IMissFlo93 View Post
    Am I in the minority here who would WANT a real Supremes biopic? Maybe a mishmash of Mary, the ego of Diana that sold records, and the tragedy of Flo? Maybe all three's point-of-view in one blender? It's too bad the Brewster-Douglass projects got destoryed.
    Unfortunately you are.
    Only thing a Supremes biopic would do is rehash stuff that was buried years ago.
    I let their legacies do the talking, not any Supremes tea.

  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by IMissFlo93 View Post
    Am I in the minority here who would WANT a real Supremes biopic? Maybe a mishmash of Mary, the ego of Diana that sold records, and the tragedy of Flo? Maybe all three's point-of-view in one blender? It's too bad the Brewster-Douglass projects got destoryed.
    You are not in the minority. There are a LOT people that would like to see a movie made of the true story of the Supremes, warts and all, they are just not in this thread. If there is money to be made, it will get made regardless of some with fragile egos and embarrassments over their poor personal behavior. The story has been out there for years anyway. Now we just need to see it on the screen

  25. #25
    If they couldn't get those Florence bio-pics made then there is no way a Supremes one will happen.

    The best shot for the Supremes story to be told is in a documentary, but it has to be done the right way.

  26. #26
    I think there will be a movie in the future about the life of Diana Ross. It will include her time with the Supremes. But I think the main focus would be Diana Ross. There would be too many distractors to ever get a Supremes movie made. The big one would be permission to use the original songs.

  27. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    If they couldn't get those Florence bio-pics made then there is no way a Supremes one will happen.

    The best shot for the Supremes story to be told is in a documentary, but it has to be done the right way.
    You mean like that Michael Jackson documentary that debuts on HBO this month? I think the Supremes story is compelling enough to get a theatrical flim made, but it is going to have be no holds barred! Kinda like Mary's book,but more...... There has to be some serious drama included.

  28. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    I used to really be about bio-pics, but over the years I’ve found most to be less and less enjoyable. I have a huge problem with most taking artistic liberties and making them historically inaccurate. More and more I find documentaries the proper route for this kind of subject matter. I’ve said for years that the Supremes story would be perfect for PBS’ American Masters. If done the right way they could pull off a stellar documentary, but it would have to be done without Wilson, Ross, Gordy, other Supremes or Motown having any say or control in how it’s written, presented, and edited. This would preserve their story without it being slanted to one’s perspective over the others.
    I totally agree with your statement. although I think all should be interviewed for it. but I doubt it will be made until …..

  29. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    I totally agree with your statement. although I think all should be interviewed for it. but I doubt it will be made until …..
    I think they all should be interviewed. Definitely. However I don't think any of them should have control or say over its edit or presentation. Too many cooks spoil the soup. I don't want it to have a Ross slant nor a Wilson or a Gordy slant.

    There is a way to tell their story with the trials and tribulations without having anyone come out looking like a villain or a victim, but the focus has to be on their career, achievements, and why they were so successful. It cannot be about the backstage drama.

  30. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    I think they all should be interviewed. Definitely. However I don't think any of them should have control or say over its edit or presentation. Too many cooks spoil the soup. I don't want it to have a Ross slant nor a Wilson or a Gordy slant.

    There is a way to tell their story with the trials and tribulations without having anyone come out looking like a villain or a victim, but the focus has to be on their career, achievements, and why they were so successful. It cannot be about the backstage drama.
    This is 2019. It has to have the drama! Most people know that there was plenty of drama associated with The Supremes story. To X that out or to go light on it would be a big mistake and a receipe for disaster. I'd like to see Spike Lee direct it. He did a great job with the film Malcolm X. You cannot bring a fluff piece to the public today, especially when the subject is one where the drama is just as legendary as the group itself! If they do it right, there will be NO comparison to what was presented in the film "Dreamgirls".
    Last edited by marv2; 03-02-2019 at 07:31 PM.

  31. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    This is 2019. It has to have the drama! Most people know that there was plenty of drama associated with The Supremes story. To X that out or to go light on it would be a big mistake and a receipe for disaster. I'd like to see Spike Lee direct it. He did a great job with the film Malcolm X. You cannot bring a fluff piece to the public today, especially when the subject is one where the drama is just as legendary as the group itself! If they do it right, there will be NO comparison to what was presented in the film "Dreamgirls".
    If you're doing a bio-pic, of course they are going to be all about the backstage drama, but you're going to get a lot of things wrong. Plus you're going to open yourself up to possible lawsuits, backlash, and opening old wounds. A bio-pic is a bad idea and could potentially further damage the Supremes image. They don't need that and bio-pic should be avoided.

    A documentary is a better route because you're not taking artistic liberties with the story and you're aiming for the truth. It's possible to get things wrong or leave out important information, but if purpose is to show the cultural impact and importance the Supremes played on American music and why they should be remembered for what they did then you setting yourself and the group up for a positive impact. It's not fluff stuff if you're focusing on the hard work the ladies did. Yes, the struggles with Florence and the splintering of the group can be told, but they shouldn't be the focus. Imagine...someone is watching a Supremes documentary and they're learning for the first time what went into the Copa show and why it was so significant to them and Motown. Or the difficulty of being three black women in a racially tense period of American history yet they somehow won the hearts of America; the viewer is going to come away with the thought..."Damn, I had no clue how hard they worked yet we hear nothing about. I have a new appreciation for them." I would much rather see that and it could bring the group back into the spotlight for praise by the industry.

  32. #32
    I believe one of the reasons that the Supremes are overlooked for recognition by the Grammys and American Music Awards etc is that the image has been damaged by sensationalism that is overplayed; on Facebook you now see all the time references to the Supremes not singing in some of the songs which is a negative; and who the hell would want to put them on tv when you don’t know if Diana will show and Mary now has a reputation for acting up and out

    They don’t need more damage done to the image

  33. #33
    Unfortunately I think that ship sailed with the Dreamgirls movie. I think Mary Wilson's life would make a very interesting movie, but cooperation from all sides at this point is extremely doubtful. She has been trying for this for many years and without the music rights, no one wants to touch it.

  34. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Sadly, Ms. Roberta, with Wilson & the $upremes it's all about the check. Would you have any interest in a Supremes biopic? I would not. Why bother? All the real history is known and performances are readily available on YouTube, etc, and we still get to see/hear the glorious lead singer of the Supremes live. The tired history of Wilson's $upremes-era antics and struggles to make a living afterward are well known and don't need rehashing, nor do the sad stories of Florence. I hope you are well!
    I have to say if it were me and I could earn the odd crust here and there for talking about - writing about - going on TV about whatever - I would as well. In this day and age none of these girls are gonna earn a fortune and have to take the cash where they can. Diana obviously finds it easier to make money - she has a bigger history than Mary - so I cannot knock anyone for trying to make a buck or two. I can's see anyone investing the kind of money you need into a movie like this when the story (albeit maybe wrong or from the wrong perspective) has been told and for another the Supremes are not Freddie Mercury nor Elton John...now as with Marvin Gaye and The Temptations a musical featuring all their songs might just work and it could cover both eras of the group..

  35. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_nixon View Post
    I have to say if it were me and I could earn the odd crust here and there for talking about - writing about - going on TV about whatever - I would as well. In this day and age none of these girls are gonna earn a fortune and have to take the cash where they can. Diana obviously finds it easier to make money - she has a bigger history than Mary - so I cannot knock anyone for trying to make a buck or two. I can's see anyone investing the kind of money you need into a movie like this when the story (albeit maybe wrong or from the wrong perspective) has been told and for another the Supremes are not Freddie Mercury nor Elton John...now as with Marvin Gaye and The Temptations a musical featuring all their songs might just work and it could cover both eras of the group..
    I quite agree with you and also don't really find fault with the lesser-knowns earning their 'odd crusts' where they can while Stevie, Diana, & Smokey continue their legendary careers. My only interest would be in a 'Beatles Anthology' type of oral-history documentary of either the Supremes or Motown in it's entirety.

  36. #36
    Isn’t the music in public domain already ? Or just in Europe?. One thing Dreamgirls did Right was coming up with some great music and at times almost came close to the Supremes magic. Though some don’t want the truth to come out if it did it would contribute to a fascinating drama. Regardless of the conflicts or because of it makes great drama as well as focusing on their amazing talent and brilliance of Motown.

  37. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Isn’t the music in public domain already ? Or just in Europe?. One thing Dreamgirls did Right was coming up with some great music and at times almost came close to the Supremes magic. Though some don’t want the truth to come out if it did it would contribute to a fascinating drama. Regardless of the conflicts or because of it makes great drama as well as focusing on their amazing talent and brilliance of Motown.
    Our publice domain laws are kind of complicated and over my head, but generally speaking, it will be quite a few years before any Motown song is in public domain

  38. #38
    but i wonder if (some) of the non sense is just rumour.? these ladies were trail blazers.
    they didn't have anyone to help them with the sudden fame and fortune and they lost their balance as a result. some will blow things out of the water.
    anyway I documentary would probably be best

  39. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Our publice domain laws are kind of complicated and over my head, but generally speaking, it will be quite a few years before any Motown song is in public domain
    I think recordings from pre-1963 are in the public domain in some markets besides the US. But I believe publishing is a totally different animal with compositions going into the P.D. after 80 years.

  40. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Isn’t the music in public domain already ? Or just in Europe?. One thing Dreamgirls did Right was coming up with some great music and at times almost came close to the Supremes magic. Though some don’t want the truth to come out if it did it would contribute to a fascinating drama. Regardless of the conflicts or because of it makes great drama as well as focusing on their amazing talent and brilliance of Motown.
    I really loved the Dreamgirls film when it came out back in 2006. Over the years, my view of the film has changed a lot and I find a lot of faults in the casting, the rewritten second act, the music production, and the overt effort to blur the lines in the Dreams and Supremes/Motown story. I had a lot of friends who believed the film was a factual retelling of the Supremes story and I can understand why Ross/Wilson/Gordy would be upset with Bill Condon making it too close to home. The stage production certainly implies it's about the Supremes, but the film pushed it to the extreme. Almost as if Bill Condon and the producers were winking to the audience and saying "Get it. It's really about the Supremes."

    I actually wish the film was remade or one of the networks would do a Dreamgirls Live that was more faithful to the original stage production.

  41. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I think recordings from pre-1963 are in the public domain in some markets besides the US. But I believe publishing is a totally different animal with compositions going into the P.D. after 80 years.
    Berry Gordy no longer owns the publishing to Motown songs and he is now 89 years old......

  42. #42
    There will eventually be a film made on the Supremes. There really is not a lot left to hide. They were too big of a musical act to not have their story made into a theatrical film. I understand there are some people that have a problem with their story being put right up in their faces, but most of their story is already out there in the public. It is going to happen sooner or later.

  43. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Berry Gordy no longer owns the publishing to Motown songs and he is now 89 years old......
    He still has the power to sign off on what gets used. He sold off the catalog, but the buck still stops with him. Smart move on his part.

    Gordy look great and has incredible energy for being 89 years old. Good for him and I hope he keeps going. There's many at his age who are not as fortunate.

  44. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    He still has the power to sign off on what gets used. He sold off the catalog, but the buck still stops with him. Smart move on his part.

    Gordy look great and has incredible energy for being 89 years old. Good for him and I hope he keeps going. There's many at his age who are not as fortunate.
    When he's dead, his opinion will mean little. I can imagine that the late, great Billie Holiday would not have been pleased by the portrayl of her life in the film "Lady Sings the Blues". I recall some of her relatives, ex husband highly disapproved of it.

  45. #45
    The Dreamgirls movie was pretty cheesy. It was certainly about the Supremes -what with their 70s! ?? Album covers on the wall . Kind of weird. They made Diana and Flo into different people and changed history . Quite odd when you think about it. Did they do all that not to get sued or to please some people?

  46. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    When he's dead, his opinion will mean little. I can imagine that the late, great Billie Holiday would not have been pleased by the portrayl of her life in the film "Lady Sings the Blues". I recall some of her relatives, ex husband highly disapproved of it.
    Wrong again. Her ex husband did NOT highly dissaprove of the film. Louis McKay probably kissed Berry Gordys butt for the way he was portrayed in the movie. Louis McKay beat Billie brutally and often. Hes real lucky Mr Gordy didnt show that although Louis McKay was a paid Technical advisor on LSTB and probably appreciated the cub scout portrayal of himself in the movie.

  47. #47
    Berry and Diana made a bigger star out of Billie Holiday in death than she ever was in life and made money for her estate in a way that wouldn’t happen today

    Yuck - to feel forced to support wife beaters like Pedro and Louis!

  48. #48
    I'd prefer to see a dramatised TV series about 'the rise and fall of Motown' than a movie about the Supremes. A Supremes movie would no doubt end with the credits rolling as the girls sing 'Someday We'll Be Together' in Diana's final concert with them.

    A multiple-series TV show from the earliest days through to - say - Thelma Houston could show the interlocking stories for just about everyone with the dramas of racism, drugs, deaths, rivalries, jealousies and all the other rumours and scandals plus all those great songs.

    But - it would need all those songs.

  49. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by Levi Stubbs Tears View Post
    I'd prefer to see a dramatised TV series about 'the rise and fall of Motown' than a movie about the Supremes.
    I don't know if anyone remembers, but back in 2001 or so, NBC announced they were doing an mini-series on Motown that was set for the 2004-2005 TV season. It must not have gotten far because I never heard anything after that.

  50. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    The Dreamgirls movie was pretty cheesy. It was certainly about the Supremes -what with their 70s! ?? Album covers on the wall . Kind of weird. They made Diana and Flo into different people and changed history . Quite odd when you think about it. Did they do all that not to get sued or to please some people?
    I think so, because Diana Ross was scared to death that they were going to present some truths that she went around to some television at the time and pretend joke that she may go see the movie with her lawyers LOL! The movie was even about her and the Beyonce character looked like a saint compare to how Diana Ross is in reality.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.