[REMOVE ADS]

Q Scores and The Supremes

Q Scores is one of the most respected analytics of public perception of a celebrity's known presence among the vox populi [[look it up). Q Scores is/are used to assess how marketable a celebrity is. A quick persual left me shocked [[no, SHOCKED !!!) that the only member ever of The Supremes ever that has a Q Score is ... if you can believe it ... Diana Ross! Is anyone, ANYONE, as shocked as I? Surely their vector MUST be wrong.

Nope.......

What is the point of this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    What is the point of this thread?
    To point out the continuing popularity of Diana Ross, which is sometimes in dispute. Best to you!

I looked up Q scores because I didn't know about them; but I couldn't find much.

I think there is little knowledge of other Supremes outside the fans; it is one of the facts that galls Mary's fan base. But I think polling shows what you say and I think it has become significantly more pronounced in recent years.

That is not to say it is deserved but lots of factors are at play. I think Cindy Birdsong was identified as a Supreme more than Mary Wilson was in some polling done around RTL time and that likely had more to do with having a generic name like Mary Wilson versus a Supreme songbird name like Cindy Birdsong.

I asked a group of 20 year olds if they had ever heard of the worlds biggest selling music group and only one out of thirteen had ever heard of them

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I looked up Q scores because I didn't know about them; but I couldn't find much.

I think there is little knowledge of other Supremes outside the fans; it is one of the facts that galls Mary's fan base. But I think polling shows what you say and I think it has become significantly more pronounced in recent years.

That is not to say it is deserved but lots of factors are at play. I think Cindy Birdsong was identified as a Supreme more than Mary Wilson was in some polling done around RTL time and that likely had more to do with having a generic name like Mary Wilson versus a Supreme songbird name like Cindy Birdsong.
    Q Scoring is an industry here in the USA that does constant polling to evaluate public recognition and marketing viability of celebrities of all kinds. It is used widely by ad and marketing agencies to help / suggest celebrity product endorsements. It's a [[highly) paid service so we ink-stained wretches are not able to fully access it's data. Earlier in the week I had a [[very) brief and limited access via: a work project and typed in a few names. I wasn't able to access any data other than if Q Scores had the name in their database or not. As I said, the only Supremes member Q Scores maintains data on is Diana. MJ, Stevie, Marvin Gaye, Aretha all are listed as well; I was on the verge of typing 'Smok...' when my access window closed! Anyhoo, interesting to see that, despite much negative ado here, Diana is still a viable, cross-cultural marketing name of enough stature to be included in the data base. My guess is that those involved with her perfume creation, marketing, and launch accessed this data well in advance to see if such an endeavour would be profitable.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    I asked a group of 20 year olds if they had ever heard of the worlds biggest selling music group and only one out of thirteen had ever heard of them
    Is that TLC, Destiny's Child or the Supremes?

I don't think they can ever properly deal with all the 45's the Supremes sold.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Q Scoring is an industry here in the USA that does constant polling to evaluate public recognition and marketing viability of celebrities of all kinds. It is used widely by ad and marketing agencies to help / suggest celebrity product endorsements. It's a [[highly) paid service so we ink-stained wretches are not able to fully access it's data. Earlier in the week I had a [[very) brief and limited access via: a work project and typed in a few names. I wasn't able to access any data other than if Q Scores had the name in their database or not. As I said, the only Supremes member Q Scores maintains data on is Diana. MJ, Stevie, Marvin Gaye, Aretha all are listed as well; I was on the verge of typing 'Smok...' when my access window closed! Anyhoo, interesting to see that, despite much negative ado here, Diana is still a viable, cross-cultural marketing name of enough stature to be included in the data base. My guess is that those involved with her perfume creation, marketing, and launch accessed this data well in advance to see if such an endeavour would be profitable.
    I'm sure they did. What you say all makes sense.

Well I think you'd have to be under a rock to not know who Diana Ross is so not sure what purpose Q serves.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Is that TLC, Destiny's Child or the Supremes?

I don't think they can ever properly deal with all the 45's the Supremes sold.
    What's a "45"?

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    What's a "45"?
    Um, maybe an old person?

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Well I think you'd have to be under a rock to not know who Diana Ross is so not sure what purpose Q serves.
    Due diligence when they are embarking on advertising campaigns etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    LOTS of younger folks don’t know who she is. Some: , “oh, the one from The Wiz?”

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    LOTS of younger folks don’t know who she is. Some: , “oh, the one from The Wiz?”
    Who would have thought she would be remembered most for The Wiz?!

Not the old time fans

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    I asked a young clerk in a now-defunct used CD store in my city about a recent Diana reissue; she asked what genre she was. You could have knocked me over with a feather.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    I asked a young clerk in a now-defunct used CD store in my city about a recent Diana reissue; she asked what genre she was. You could have knocked me over with a feather.
    That's kind of sad. I worked in a record store and knew of artists from before my time.

But your comment reminds me of a time when a co-worker was asked if we had any albums by Billie Holiday and he asked, "Who's he?".

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    That's kind of sad. I worked in a record store and knew of artists from before my time.

But your comment reminds me of a time when a co-worker was asked if we had any albums by Billie Holiday and he asked, "Who's he?".
    Haha ! That's a good one!

I remember when Prince died some of my twentysomethings at work seemed surprisingly indifferent. Then I realized it been 20 years since he'd had a hit when he passed.

So strange this new generation. When I was young I loved music. I have always known the artists before my time. I asked some 20 something year olds and they didn't even know who Cher was. I was like wow. Said they only knew Diana Ross because of me. Lol. My grandkids don't even know who Elvis or the Beatles are.

There are many people under the age of 40 that do not know who Paul McCartney is. Radio station WBAI in New York posed that question back in 2011 and the responses had me cracking up with laugher. One I will never forget is a guy that said "Isn't he the old guy that Kanye West was helping out by letting him write and record a song with him!" LOL! We just have to face it, time moves on and people like Diana Ross, The Supremes and other acts we enjoyed will be lost to time and history. Many do not know who they are now.

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    So strange this new generation. When I was young I loved music. I have always known the artists before my time. I asked some 20 something year olds and they didn't even know who Cher was. I was like wow. Said they only knew Diana Ross because of me. Lol. My grandkids don't even know who Elvis or the Beatles are.
    I agree, many young people that i have spoken to seem to know virtually nothing about any kind of history, be it kings and queens, singers or actors. So very different from when i was young.
    From my own experience the name Diana Ross seems to resonate a little more with the young [[teens and 20's) compared to the name Supremes which is interesting.
    Kids today.....i don't know. Now i feel 101 as opposed to 56 lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I agree, many young people that i have spoken to seem to know virtually nothing about any kind of history, be it kings and queens, singers or actors. So very different from when i was young.
    From my own experience the name Diana Ross seems to resonate a little more with the young [[teens and 20's) compared to the name Supremes which is interesting.
    Ollie we had better teachers in our day.

I agree. It's just not singers. But actors and all. I know when I was young I knew of everyone past and present. Bette Davis was way before my time but has always been one of my favorite actresses. It's really sad how this new generation doesn't seem to know or care.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Ollie we had better teachers in our day.
    It really does seem to be the case marv. Perhaps it's to do with technology and the fact the kids spend so much time on their playstations etc. I assume they still teach history in schools?.... I'm not so sure.
    My god, i'm beginning to sound like my parents.

I agree. It's just not singers. But actors and all. I know when I was young I knew of everyone past and present. Bette Davis was way before my time but has always been one of my favorite actresses. It's really sad how this new generation doesn't seem to know or care.
    It's funny you should mention Bette Davis. On a few ocassions when chatting to 20 somethings at work i have mentioned Bette [[as i am a fan) and asked if they knew who she is. They usually just look at me blankly and shake their heads. As a kid I was aware of actors like Bette and singers such as Ella and Tony Bennett. What ever happened to curiosity.
    Many young'uns might not be aware of who Diana Ross is, but they all seem to know "Upside Down".
    Last edited by Ollie9; 03-04-2019 at 07:25 AM.

It's funny you should mention Bette Davis. On a few occassions when chatting to 20 somethings at work i have mentioned Bette [[as i am a fan) and asked if they knew who she is. They usually just look at me blankly and shake their heads. As a kid I was aware of actors like Bette and singers such as Ella and Tony Bennett. What ever happened to curiosity.
    Many young'uns might not be aware of who Diana Ross is, but they all seem to know "Upside Down".
    It's understandable, though. I can remember being a teen and not knowing the difference between Carey Grant and Clark Gable, Sinatra and Bennett, etc. It may also be good to remember that in, say, 1972 there were about 30 years of pop culture as we know it; now there are [[using about 1942 & the big band era as a starting point) 77 years. Also in my market in the mid-70's there were no cable channels so we were introduced to the prior generation's movie stars through late-night reruns [[loved that!!). Nowsadaze the chirrun get to swipe exactly what they want to see. Just a change in times.

A shock to the system, I know - but what with Elvis dead 42 years and the Beatles disbanded 50 years ago ... The youn'uns need to make their own culture just as we did.

It's understandable, though. I can remember being a teen and not knowing the difference between Carey Grant and Clark Gable, Sinatra and Bennett, etc. It may also be good to remember that in, say, 1972 there were about 30 years of pop culture as we know it; now there are [[using about 1942 & the big band era as a starting point) 77 years. Also in my market in the mid-70's there were no cable channels so we were introduced to the prior generation's movie stars through late-night reruns [[loved that!!). Nowsadaze the chirrun get to swipe exactly what they want to see. Just a change in times.
    All very true. We were pretty limited in what was available to watch as kids where as now you can watch exactly what you want, when and how you want.. Sadly for the young peeps this does not seem to include Bette Davis. They don't know what their missing lol.

All very true. We were pretty limited in what was available to watch as kids where as now you can watch exactly what you want, when and how you want.. Sadly for the young peeps this does not seem to include Bette Davis. They don't know what their missing lol.
    No argument from me there! And ... Rita Hayworth gave good face!! Love my Bette-Kathrine-Marlene-Joan movies! Never tire.

A lead singer who eventually gets star billing will then have a recognizable name. How many people but fans could name non-leads? Miracles? Vandellas? Four Seasons? Hoboken Four? Williams Brothers? Ames Brothers? Oh, the list is endless. Add the passage of time to that, and even the lead [[even if he/she goes solo) fades into the mist. That’s just showbiz, folks.

It really does seem to be the case marv. Perhaps it's to do with technology and the fact the kids spend so much time on their playstations etc. I assume they still teach history in schools?.... I'm not so sure.
    My god, i'm beginning to sound like my parents.
    Did you know they no longer teach how to write in cursive? Amazing!

No argument from me there! And ... Rita Hayworth gave good face!! Love my Bette-Kathrine-Marlene-Joan movies! Never tire.
    It's sad that classic films and music are largely ignored by the younger set. I know a guy in his twenties whose girlfriend refuses to watch any movie that's not in color!

A shock to the system, I know - but what with Elvis dead 42 years and the Beatles disbanded 50 years ago ... The youn'uns need to make their own culture just as we did.
    You have a point but we didn't ignore the previous culture. I guess it was how we were taught. My grandmother was a big movie fan and would talk to me about all the old movies and movie stars and my mother was a big music fan. She introduced me to all the music of her time. Its truly different because this generation has no interest. I also know many young people who will not watch a black and white film.