[REMOVE ADS]

Bill Jenkins, who helped end the infamous Tuskegee Syphilis Study, has died at age 73

Thanks for the link, soph. He was a true soldier against one of the sorriest examples of American racism ever recorded. Well done, sir, and rest in power.

Sorry, sad, despicable really. Although started in 1932 the experiment was still going on forty years later in 1972 when whistleblower, Peter Buxtun, brought the true nature of the experiments to light. By 1947, penicillin had become the standard treatment for syphilis. But the Tuskegee scientists continued the study without treating any of the participants. They only stopped the experiments when they were exposed.

Thanks for the notice. A shameful chapter in American history.

I had never heard about this before. Some next level Big Brother type shit. Shocking.

What a good man. Rest in peace Bill.

This story broke in 1972 when I was 21 and everyone I knew was just appalled. In the years since the story seems to have become buried in history and many seem to be unaware that it even ocurred.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

Yeah ss, I don't know if it's because I'm in the UK, but I had never heard of it. Really something that should never happen again.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Yeah ss, I don't know if it's because I'm in the UK, but I had never heard of it. Really something that should never happen again.
    Aside from being in another country this did end in 1972, so the likely hood you would no would be small. BTW the quote was not directed to you specifically, I appreciated your response to my post.

For myself this is one of the most disturbing revelations that I have every had to face about my country, and I find it troubling that it has been buried in history. While it is of the utmost importance to learn from mistakes and move on. It is also of equal importance to remember - to make sure the mistakes are not repeated.

Very true ss.