[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

70's Supremes Lost & Found CD Petition

Well, I am not sure how to go about this but I thought I would give this a shot. Maybe someone else will have a better idea? Probably won't work but it doesn't hurt to try. So, I am not sure how many people are on the SoulfulDetroit Forums but I am only assuming/guessing we would need a few thousand people that would be willing to purchase this set and maybe Andy, Harry or George could send this thread over to Universal. Let's see how many of us are interested. I am definitely interested and I am dedicated to buying to copies, so that is one person and 2 sets sold so far....LOL

Count me in. I would definitely buy it!

Thanks Marv2 for your support

Sign me up. Anything 70's Supremes and I'm on board!

Last edited by lakeside; 02-27-2019 at 04:51 PM.

I'm definitely game.

Certainly......there are enough, I would think, for at least a digi version.

I'm all for a 70s Lost & Found [[ideally I would love to see the Jean-led catalog get the expanded treatment but who are we kidding...that's a long shot), but I think we should be pushing for Universal to finish the 60s catalog. It's been 15 years since the expanded editions began and there's still a lot from the 60s that hasn't been touched...

Reflections, Love Child, Live At London's Talk Of The Town, TCB, GIT, Funny Girl [[CD), Let The Sunshine In, Cream Of The Crop, Farewell, and specialty albums such as We Remember Sam Cooke, Sing CW&P, A Bit Of Liverpool, and Disney.

Maybe The Second Disc would be interested in doing a 70s Lost & Found like they did with Merry Christmas? My hope with it being Motown 60 that Universal would push for more releases this year. They could easily get three or four expanded editions out this year if they really pushed for it.
    Last edited by bradsupremes; 02-27-2019 at 07:18 PM.

im in as well bu tit seems we may be waiting until 2020 at least.....seems like forever the way universal is moving now

We should organize a march on the archives. Liberate the 70s Supremes ourselves!!!!

First priority is physical release. None of that make believe digital crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Fourtopsbiggestfan View Post
    First priority is physical release. None of that make believe digital crap.
    Amen!!!!!!

I'd buy some CD copies....if it is a USA only release, I'd buy more than 1.... I'm not interested in downloads....you'd stand a better chance of me buying the 8 track!

Quote Originally Posted by aarondillon2011@gmail.com View Post
    Well, I am not sure how to go about this but I thought I would give this a shot. Maybe someone else will have a better idea? Probably won't work but it doesn't hurt to try. So, I am not sure how many people are on the SoulfulDetroit Forums but I am only assuming/guessing we would need a few thousand people that would be willing to purchase this set and maybe Andy, Harry or George could send this thread over to Universal. Let's see how many of us are interested. I am definitely interested and I am dedicated to buying to copies, so that is one person and 2 sets sold so far....LOL
    Count me in too! I would even pledge to buy 2 copies.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    I'm all for a 70s Lost & Found [[ideally I would love to see the Jean-led catalog get the expanded treatment but who are we kidding...that's a long shot), but I think we should be pushing for Universal to finish the 60s catalog. It's been 15 years since the expanded editions began and there's still a lot from the 60s that hasn't been touched...

Reflections, Love Child, Live At London's Talk Of The Town, TCB, GIT, Funny Girl [[CD), Let The Sunshine In, Cream Of The Crop, Farewell, and specialty albums such as We Remember Sam Cooke, Sing CW&P, A Bit Of Liverpool, and Disney.

Maybe The Second Disc would be interested in doing a 70s Lost & Found like they did with Merry Christmas? My hope with it being Motown 60 that Universal would push for more releases this year. They could easily get three or four expanded editions out this year if they really pushed for it.
    Expanded editions of the Jean led years would be a dream come true, but we have to be realistic here. That is highly unlikely to happen., but a lost and found is surely a realistic proposition?

Count me in but also still waiting for that Gladys Knight & Pips L&F cd!

A 70s Supremes Lost & Found would definitely be top of my wants list.

I will buy whatever they put out there, including a 70's L&F! If it focused only on the Jean years, even better. There are so many tracks from that era, still in the vault.

A 70´s Supremes L&F would be great

I'd definitely buy it, physical or digital, though I prefer digital.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Expanded editions of the Jean led years would be a dream come true, but we have to be realistic here. That is highly unlikely to happen., but a lost and found is surely a realistic proposition?
    I don't understand this. I would rather have the Jean albums expanded too. But I wonder what stands in the way? While I know most of the Jean albums weren't doing the numbers of the albums of Flo, Diana and Mary era, I would think at least the first four were still popular enough to warrant the expanded treatment, especially in light of what happened when the Jean boxset was released and then disappeared because fans really wanted it and it sold out. I'm all for a L&F set, but I'd rather have the first four Jean albums [[minus the duets w/ the Tops) expanded, personally.

I would gladly buy a 70's Lost & Found set. I think I've bought every 70's release since the first anthology came out in 2002.

i think what might have hurt the EE strategy was doing the albums in chronological order. I'm guessing here but as i've said before i think the well of Diana material is drying up. and so EE of the later DRATS albums might be a struggle. not to mention that those lps were not huge commercial or critical successes. And i have to say, the "discoveries" for Go Go and HDH were not as earth-shattering as some of the other releases we've had in the past. But that's just my opinion.

i think that after the got the Jean and Scherrie sets out, they should have pushed quickly for the 70s L&F. i'm wondering if Universal's memory on the success of the Jean set has faded with time

An expanded treatment of the Jean albums is a very long shot, but why I think it's better than a 70s Lost & Found is that we would get more from the vaults. A 2-disc L&F would limit the possibilities of getting alternate vocals, alternate versions, new mixes, etc especially if there are 25-30+ unreleased tracks. That just about fills up an 2-disc set. When Motown switched to 16 track multi's in 1969 it gave more space for additional vocals takes. Example would be "Everybody's Got The Right To Love" - There is an alternate vocal that was released on Greatest Hits & Rare Classics in the 90s. It's possible a lot of the tracks Jean recorded have an alternate vocal[[s). I would hate for us to miss out on potential great Jean vocals where she may given the song a different approach from what we already know. I would gladly welcome a L&F if that's the most viable option, but expanded editions of the Jean albums would get us as complete to their recordings as the 60s expanded editions. This may not be something Universal wants to do [[hell, look at how they're dragging their feet with releases now!), but I could totally see The Second Disc jumping at this opportunity.

I think a 1970s Lost & Found has the best chance of seeing release as part of a larger Supremes box set, which probably would have to be shared with the 1960s Supremes to be commercially viable. It has been almost 20 years since the pink box set.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    An expanded treatment of the Jean albums is a very long shot, but why I think it's better than a 70s Lost & Found is that we would get more from the vaults. A 2-disc L&F would limit the possibilities of getting alternate vocals, alternate versions, new mixes, etc especially if there are 25-30+ unreleased tracks. That just about fills up an 2-disc set. When Motown switched to 16 track multi's in 1969 it gave more space for additional vocals takes. Example would be "Everybody's Got The Right To Love" - There is an alternate vocal that was released on Greatest Hits & Rare Classics in the 90s. It's possible a lot of the tracks Jean recorded have an alternate vocal[[s). I would hate for us to miss out on potential great Jean vocals where she may given the song a different approach from what we already know. I would gladly welcome a L&F if that's the most viable option, but expanded editions of the Jean albums would get us as complete to their recordings as the 60s expanded editions. This may not be something Universal wants to do [[hell, look at how they're dragging their feet with releases now!), but I could totally see The Second Disc jumping at this opportunity.
    plus Motown stopped doing mono releases. so the EE sets wouldn't need to bother with the 2 released versions of the lp. so more room for alt takes, live material, etc.

if we HAD to drop something, i'd vote for dropping the modern-day mixes. I've really enjoyed them but i'd imagine they're rather time [[and therefore cost) intensive. Maybe if we drop those, they'd be able to streamline the costs a bit to make things more palatable to Universal

also we're assuming that there's still tons of Jean material. I do agree that in 69, 70 and maybe earlier 71, there was a lot of unreleased material. but it seems pretty clear that the group's studio work was dwindling by 72. sure there are still some tracks that we're aware of. and like you said, maybe there are alt versions of Jimmy Webb and FJ content. Or who knows - maybe there were other larger projects that were started/explored but then never completed.

But i think we're most likely focusing just on the earlier Jean years. And if they wanted to skip redoing the original lp, i'd be ok with that. we have the Jean set and you can get the full album on itunes today. so while not ideal, at least we have that material already.

I'd most definitely buy a 70s Supremes' Lost & Found CD release.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    plus Motown stopped doing mono releases. so the EE sets wouldn't need to bother with the 2 released versions of the lp. so more room for alt takes, live material, etc.

if we HAD to drop something, i'd vote for dropping the modern-day mixes. I've really enjoyed them but i'd imagine they're rather time [[and therefore cost) intensive. Maybe if we drop those, they'd be able to streamline the costs a bit to make things more palatable to Universal
    I don't think Universal is losing money over these releases. Universal is one of the largest record corporations in the world. These releases are chump change in the large picture of everything they produce. The Expanded Editions seem to sell well enough to be making some kind of profit to continue releasing their catalog because there is a demand for them. I think they could sell more if Universal invested just a little bit into promotion which they do absolutely nothing for.

Yes, getting rid of new mixes would cut down on time and costs, but nowadays I think most fans prefer stereo over mono mixes unless there is something totally unique or different about them. This is my issue with the Motown Unreleased series and a lot of the Ace Motown releases. They are all pretty much use the original mono mixes which are sometimes not the best. Sometimes only one mono mix is all there is in the vaults. It is cost effective and cuts down on studio time to use them, but so many of those tracks are so deserving be heard in stereo.

One of my pipe dreams is a never-before-heard-in-stereo collection that would feature songs that never had a stereo mix or had horrible stereo mixes and deserve new ones [[example: Marvin Gaye's "Little Darling" with those strings).
    Last edited by bradsupremes; 02-28-2019 at 07:46 PM.

personally I love the new kevin reeves mixs . I want more of these. I like to do away the the mono mixs….I prefer mostly the stereo mixs.
    but I am willing to forgo the Disney collection ,or GIT, BIT OF LIVERPOOL in place of a Supremes Lost and Found

I would buy a Lost & Found set of the 70s Supremes!

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I don't understand this. I would rather have the Jean albums expanded too. But I wonder what stands in the way? While I know most of the Jean albums weren't doing the numbers of the albums of Flo, Diana and Mary era, I would think at least the first four were still popular enough to warrant the expanded treatment, especially in light of what happened when the Jean boxset was released and then disappeared because fans really wanted it and it sold out. I'm all for a L&F set, but I'd rather have the first four Jean albums [[minus the duets w/ the Tops) expanded, personally.
    i Totally agree with you. It is the first four Jean albums that contain the treasures. I think we have already got the duets w/the Tops on the double cd from a few years back. There may be a few alternate versions in the vaults, but i can happily manage without them. We can only keep our fingers crossed. I am sure Andy and George would love to do the expanded versions, but a lost and found set is more likely. Maybe the remaining MSS era alternate takes could be released on a separate cd for those who desire them.

Oh yes, definitely count me in for all of this

I’m in on Expanded Editions and Lost & Found Sets—all as long as they’re physical CDs!

it’s not a huge increase, but this article says that CD and LP sales have exceeded digital downloads. Pay attention, Universal! [[And listen to BradSupremes—because he’s absolutely right about putting more into the promotion of your Motown releases!)

https://9to5mac.com/2019/02/28/itunes-music-downloads-down-streaming-vinyl-up/

at this point, i'm just hoping for the content to be release. sure i do prefer a physical cd too and looking at the booklet. but i think we all need to realize that we need to support whatever format is finally utilized. content is better than nothing. whether digital or physical.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    at this point, i'm just hoping for the content to be release. sure i do prefer a physical cd too and looking at the booklet. but i think we all need to realize that we need to support whatever format is finally utilized. content is better than nothing. whether digital or physical.
    Very true. The only way we are going to get more is if we support whatever is released no matter what format it is. However, Universal needs to pay attention to its audience. Motown/the Supremes/Diana Ross are going to be a draw to an older crowd. That crowd is going to want to physical releases like CDs. They are not the digital download generation. I think because the Supremes/Diana Ross crowd has been so vocal about wanting CDs is the reason why we are getting them on CD. If Universal is going to continue doing these expanded editions they need to keep doing it in the format that they started with.

Yes I'll buy a Supremes 70s Lost and Found on CD please. But what exactly is left?

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Yes I'll buy a Supremes 70s Lost and Found on CD please. But what exactly is left?
    I believe either George or Harry has stated that there was enough material for a 2 cd Lost & Found set. That we do know. Is most of what is left alternate versions or alternate vocals? That's the real question. I wish Universal would let the guys tell us what is left. Even if we didn't get the material out at least we would know their complete recording history.

In terms of what's left, here's what I can think of off the top of my head. This also includes material that has been released, but not on CD. I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot, and there's more we don't know about in the vaults.

1. Up the Ladder to the Roof [[alternate version with third verse)
    2. Remote Control
    3. How Long Has That Evening Train Been Gone?
    4. Stepping On A Dream
    5. That's How Much You Made Me Love You
    6. Loneliness [[Is A Lonely Feeling)
    7. Mind, Body & Soul
    8. Touch [[GH&RC version)
    9. You Only Miss Me When You See Me
    10. Soft Days
    11. I'll Wait A Lifetime
    12. Love Train [[alternate vocal version)
    13. Where Do I Go from Here [[GH&RC version)
    14. Where Do I Go from Here [[extended version)
    15. Early Morning Love [[extended version)
    16. High Energy [[GH&RC version)
    17. High Energy [[Scherrie lead version)
    18. High Energy [[Cindy lead version)
    19. Let Yourself Go [[GH&RC version)

I also vaguely remember there being mention of two more outtakes from The Supremes '75 LP titled "Look What You've Done To Me" and "Another Saturday Night." Not sure if these were covers, new songs, or just rumors.

I do find it interesting that no one has mentioned any of the Mary led material of the 70’s

i search in some of the old threads here. Found this listing of unreleased Jean material

Up the Ladder to the Roof [[alternate version with third verse)
    UTLTTR - syreeta lead
    Everybody's got the right to love - supposedly multiple versions still unreleased including the alt vocal version on the GH&RC cassette
    Remote Control
    How Long Has That Evening Train Been Gone?
    Stepping On A Dream
    That's How Much You Made Me Love You
    Loneliness [[Is A Lonely Feeling)
    Mind, Body & Soul
    Touch [[GH&RC version)
    You Only Miss Me When You See Me
    Soft Days
    I'll Wait A Lifetime
    Love Train [[alternate vocal version)
    Where Do I Go from Here [[GH&RC version)
    Where Do I Go from Here [[extended version)
    Early Morning Love [[extended version)
    High Energy [[GH&RC version)
    High Energy [[Scherrie lead version although supposedly no longer around)
    High Energy [[Cindy lead version although supposedly no longer around)
    Let Yourself Go [[GH&RC version)
    Love I never knew You could feel go good - unedited version
    IGLMHDTW - there are multiple unreleased versions, such as the version used on American Bandstand
    TRAVELING LIGHT
    CAN'T YOU HEAR ME KNOCKING
    YOU WENT AND STEPPED ON MY DREAMS
    SEND HIM TO ME
    IF YOU LET ME
    STANDING OVATION
    BABY DON'T YOU GO
    WHILE THEY WATCH
    I CAN'T WAIT 'TIL SUMMER COMES
    THREE DAY JOURNEY OF ME
    I'LL NEVER LET YOU GET AWAY
    WASTING TIME
    I ALMOST HAD HIM [[BUT HE GOT AWAY)
    DIDN'T I [[BLOW YOUR MIND THIS TIME)
    IT'S SO HARD TO SAY GOODBYE TO YESTERDAY

i believe if memory serves me correctly that TOUCH has alt mixs with a Jean only version and a Mary solo version as both recorded the songand the two versions spliced together.

In the Syreeta collection booklet, it was implied there is an unreleased Supremes version of “I Want To Go Back There Again” using the same track as Syreeta’s.

We base what we know to be unreleased on the bootlegs and a lot of those tracks are from Jean’s recordings from late 1969. I think an exhaustive search into the vaults would turn up tracks none of us know about.
    Last edited by bradsupremes; 03-01-2019 at 07:07 PM.

oh i'm sure there's much more. plus i'd assume at least SOME live material from JMC.

Someone mentioned that they thought there was 1 or so songs from FJ that didn't make the album.

Plus they might be able to do a 2019 mix of Jimmy Webb and strip off the Blossoms so it's just MJL. sort of like they did with Funny Girl

I am assuming most of the duets material is done.

Marv says he doesn’t have the Cindy and Scherrie versions of High Energy. I swear he does! They were posted on one of those old yahoo groops at least 12 yrs ago. Marv please refresh your memory!

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    I do find it interesting that no one has mentioned any of the Mary led material of the 70’s
    I want any and every recording they have not released yet with Mary on lead.

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Marv says he doesn’t have the Cindy and Scherrie versions of High Energy. I swear he does! They were posted on one of those old yahoo groops at least 12 yrs ago. Marv please refresh your memory!
    I'm sorry I can't help you. I don't have those.

I'd like some 'live' concerts with all the line-ups in the 70's.

I have a few bootlegs too

MJC live at Carter Baron 71
    MJC live at Central Park 71
    MLC in hawaii 72 [[2 tracks)
    MJL live at Valley Forge 9/72
    MJL live Apollo 12/72
    MSC live in Japan 74
    MSC live in Manchester 75
    MSS live in Montreaux 76
    MSS live at Caesar Palace 76
    MSS live at Bachelor III 76
    MSS farewell

Plus various tv shows throughout the 70s

I would love to hear the Carte Baron concert

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    What would you like us to say about them?