[REMOVE ADS]

RE: Wonder B PHYREWORK

Wonder B: I didn't even know you were familiar with Phyrework until I logged in to YouTube and saw your post. These guys [[particularly guitarist Willie and bassist Lamar) were friends of mine and I used to hang out/assist at their rehearsals and attend all their local gigs. They were a fantastic band !! Producer Patrick ??? had them come to NY to check them out...but he ultimately wanted to sign just the rhythm section. They would NOT go that route because they had ben together for so long & refused to leave their band mates behind. ConFunkShun got them a deal with Mercury and produced them...but the label refused to spend a dime on promotion and the album failed to sell well outside of their local [[Dallas/Fort Worth) market. Having just a 1 shot deal with Mercury and label mates ConFunkShun, The BarKays, & others having a tough time themselves....they soon [[unfortunately) called it quits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGaPq...eature=related

Wow, what a great band. Especially in '81. What was Mercury's problem. Had they given up on funk band by then? Prince's sound was becoming very influential around this time. Could it be that they though Phyrework was just too late? What happened to the members of the group. What are they doing now?

I don't know what the deal was with Mercury. As I recall, their was even an issue resigning ConFunkShun at the time. Phyrework was not a one dimensional band...so they couldn't have been too late either. As far as the what happened to...I have no idea. I moved away in '84 and I never heard anything else about them. I hope they are still playing...individually or in other groups because they were all outstanding musicians.

I just found out that the guys still get together and actuallyy have a reunion gig later this month in #allas. Anyone interested..they do have a Facebook page.

If you can film any part of the reunion gig and drop it here, that would be great.
    I'm still looking for that LP.