[REMOVE ADS]

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post

I would really love to read that interview boogie if you can find it.
    Found it Ollie! Or rather here's The Diana Ross Project quoting her comments to Billboard at the time:

“MCA was interested in me, and I never thought I was going to go back to Motown,” she told Billboard. “Somewhere, in the meantime, Berry [Gordy, Jr.] sold the company to MCA, and they were buying it with the thought that some of the artists on MCA would move to Motown. I’d already made the deal when they approached me.”
    And so Diana Ross ended the 1980s exactly as she had begun them, as an artist on Motown Records; her only proper MCA release was the 1988 theme song to animated film The Land Before Time, a lovely ballad called “If We Hold On Together,” ..............

https://dianarossproject.wordpress.c...overtime-1989/
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 03-27-2019 at 03:58 PM.

Ross rocks! Even a 30 year old album that most fans consider not her best gets 150 comments!

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    Found it Ollie! Or rather here's The Diana Ross Project quoting her comments to Billboard at the time:

“MCA was interested in me, and I never thought I was going to go back to Motown,” she told Billboard. “Somewhere, in the meantime, Berry [Gordy, Jr.] sold the company to MCA, and they were buying it with the thought that some of the artists on MCA would move to Motown. I’d already made the deal when they approached me.”
    And so Diana Ross ended the 1980s exactly as she had begun them, as an artist on Motown Records; her only proper MCA release was the 1988 theme song to animated film The Land Before Time, a lovely ballad called “If We Hold On Together,” ..............

Belated thanks for finding this Boogietown....have been away.
    I played the WO cd in my car today, singing along as i drove to work. I will admit i did skip "What Can One Person Do" finding the key a tad piercing at such an early hour.

I played the WO cd in my car today, singing along as i drove to work. I will admit i did skip "What Can One Person Do" finding the key a tad piercing at such an early hour.
    That's funny...that very song popped up on my iPhone this afternoon while I was shopping and I sang along! Guess I played it in your stead.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    That's funny...that very song popped up on my iPhone this afternoon while I was shopping and I sang along! Guess I played it in your stead.
    I trust you sung it in the same key lol.

I trust you sung it in the same key lol.
    An octave lower...trust.

“MCA was interested in me, and I never thought I was going to go back to Motown,” she told Billboard. “Somewhere, in the meantime, Berry [Gordy, Jr.] sold the company to MCA, and they were buying it with the thought that some of the artists on MCA would move to Motown . I’d already made the deal when they approached me.”

You are welcome Ollie!

It's interesting that Diana mentions MCA as having plans to transfer "some" of their artists from MCA to Motown as being part of what made the Motown acquisition appealing. Were there , in fact, other artists , besides Diana that were transferred?
    It seems to me, that MCA saw specifically that a major opportunity in acquiring Motown would be the opportunity to reunite Diana Ross with her trademark label.

Talking in circles here, but that's why it becomes curious that this event went so unheralded. I can only conclude that when MCA heard the OVERTIME project , its chance for meaningful success seemed so dire, that they decided rather than calling attention to it , and having it be received as disappointing, it would [[regrettably) be a better move to just let this reunification occur quietly.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 05-12-2019 at 01:34 PM.

If i'm being honest Boogie i can't really rememeber if Diana's return to motown was unheralded or shouted from the mountain tops, at least in the UK.
    I agree that MCA must have thought it a natural to reunite Diana with her parent label but would be very surprised if that were one of or a specific reason for the acquisition. Diana's profile was pretty low at the time and her music sales were nothing to get excited about. It would have been a bit of a gamble for whoever signed her.
    Just as a point of interest, WO received some very positive reviews in the UK. Not sure about USA.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 05-13-2019 at 04:12 AM.