[REMOVE ADS]

When Marlene substituted for Flo

For any Forum DRATS readers who didn't see the recent New York Times story about the Supremes' deb-party appearance, there's this:
    http://www.adampwhite.com/westgrandb...-grosse-pointe

Thanks for this link. It is a great followup to another thread here.

https://soulfuldetroit.com/showthrea...904#post503904

The article also shows us that we should not take everything for face value that we read in some of the memoirs of Motown artists.

Marlene Barrow's book claimed she was drafted to take Flo’s place at
    this event while Motown was negotiating with Cindy as a permanent replacement. Other reports say Flo was sick with flu at time and resting so that she would be well enough for their Copa debut.

Thanks for posting this.

I think it was more of Flo being ill since Cindy didn’t step until 2 years later

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Thanks for this link. It is a great followup to another thread here.

https://soulfuldetroit.com/showthrea...904#post503904

The article also shows us that we should not take everything for face value that we read in some of the memoirs of Motown artists.

Marlene Barrow's book claimed she was drafted to take Flo’s place at
    this event while Motown was negotiating with Cindy as a permanent replacement. Other reports say Flo was sick with flu at time and resting so that she would be well enough for their Copa debut.

Thanks for posting this.
    Yeah, I think Marlene got her dates mixed up. She first subbed for Flo at this country club event in June 1965. She subbed again in early 1966 prior to the Copa engagement and then for the last time in April 1967.

was she considered to join the group in 1967

Didn’t she say she wasn’t interested in becoming a Supreme permanently?

"I wouldn't have gone on to be with the Supremes had they asked me," Marlene said in Vickie Wright's book. "I felt loyalty to the Andantes and my young son. I knew I was just filling in and it was a wonderful thing to have happen."

Name:  Mary , Diana and Marlene Barrow.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  83.6 KB

I found a clearer picture of Marlene substituting for Flo at the deb party in 1965.