[REMOVE ADS]

'The Two Killings of Sam Cooke' - Now Streaming on Netflix

Very well done. Nice interviews with Smokey - Quincy - Dionne and many of the historic figures who worked with Sam.

We watched this yesterday; outstanding.

Hope some hero posts it on YouTube. Can't afford Netflix right now lol

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    We watched this yesterday; outstanding.
    Glad to hear. I thought that for a relatively short presentation they did a great job of stressing both Cooke's talent and his importance to his community as well as his being an entrepreneur, about which I knew nothing.

I am watching it right now.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Very well done. Nice interviews with Smokey - Quincy - Dionne and many of the historic figures who worked with Sam.
    Thanks for the heads up. I'm in the middle of a thirty day Nexflix Free Trial. I just finished watching it . Outstanding. They referred to him as the Father of Modern Soul Music and I could not agree more.

Even though YOU SEND ME was one of the first 45's that I bought as a kid, there was so much that I did not know about Sam and black performers at that time. As I was learning new stuff from the documentary, I had to pause and google to get even deeper into the new info that I was learning.

Thanks for letting us know about this documentary. Entertaining and very informative

Thank you for posting. was looking for something to watch on Netflix this evening. Will tune in.

I just finished and have it on in the background for a 2nd viewing. Very compelling, a very important part of Black American History of the 20th Century. This was very well done from the use of archival footage, interviews with people that were actually associated with Sam. There are still a lot of questions to be answered about what really happened to Sam Cooke.

As usual, Uncle Smokey had me LOL! He has always been such a great storyteller and just naturally humorous.

I'd be interested to hear what others thought of the shooting - meaning, random act of violence or a set-up? And - have you, as I this weekend, rediscovered Cooke's superb recorded legacy?

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    I'd be interested to hear what others thought of the shooting - meaning, random act of violence or a set-up? And - have you, as I this weekend, rediscovered Cooke's superb recorded legacy?
    I believe it was a set up because he had ownership of his publishing and masters which was unheard of back then that a black artist would have that type of control over his work. Also, the condition his body was actually in [[hands crushed and severe scarring on his face) leads me to believe that more went on than that lady Bertha hitting him with a broom and then shooting him.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I believe it was a set up because he had ownership of his publishing and masters which was unheard of back then that a black artist would have that type of control over his work. Also, the condition his body was actually in [[hands crushed and severe scarring on his face) leads me to believe that more went on than that lady Bertha hitting him with a broom and then shooting him.
    I agree marv2.

Another thank you for pointing out this new documentary. I was telling my great-grand-daughter about Sam last week. I was playing his greatest hits CD and she asked me who that was. I'm going to put it in my Netflix que and watch it with my wife when she gets home this evening.

It was outstanding, as well as another Netflix must watch, the doc on Quincy Jones.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I bought "Our Uncle Sam" which was written by his nephew Erick Greene... I was absolutely gutted after reading it. Sam was murdered twice that night. Himself and his name.

While it is possible that sam was-set up,it is also possible that sam was in the wrong place at the wrong time as he was a womanizer.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    While it is possible that sam was-set up,it is also possible that sam was in the wrong place at the wrong time as he was a womanizer.
    Agreed! He should not have been at that motel.....BUT he was led there by Ms. Chin and what happened after that is where the real mystery begins.