Diana Ross & The Supremes: The B-Sides

Rock 'n' Soul / Motown / Stonewall Legends:
    Diana Ross & The Supremes
    2004-B
    [[as in "B" sides)

Diana Ross & The Supremes: The B-Sides

Beautifully pictured [[l-2-r): Diana Ross, Mary Wilson and Florence Ballard
    [Note: This is full-faced picture not shown on DRS #1s album cover!]
    "The 'B' Sides of Diana Ross & The Supremes" -- the flipside songs -- were so popular and memorable at The Stonewall and hundreds of other Gay clubs and bars, particularly throughout America and the United Kingdom, that these wonderful songs had a following of their own, which happily exists to this very day. At last our dreams came true: there is a compact disc [[c/d) with virtually every Diana Ross & The Supremes' flipside song from 1963 through 1969 -- a total of 30 are included! By virtue of space, the c/d excludes the five duet flipside songs with The Temptations. What's amazing is that Motown Records in over four decades never bothered [[or had the customer-oriented want list) to compile and distribute a record album nor an 8-track tape nor a cassette nor a c/d of all the incredible DRS flipside songs. By the way, Motown still hasn't! This is a privately-produced collection with limited distribution. What a Supreme treat!
    The popular Diana Ross & The Supremes' fabulous flipside songs -- most written by ace Motown songwriters Holland-Dozier-Holland [["H-D-H") -- at The Stonewall Club [[1966 - 1969) on this special compact disc include: "Everything's Good About You" [[so popular and so danceable that we had our own special line dance for this song), "He's All I Got", "Put Yourself In My Place" [[another line dance), "Remove This Doubt" [[a very untypical Supremes, sad, unsure, melodramatic song romanticized for bump 'n' grind), "There's No Stopping Us Now" [[another great second-tier Gay anthem), "All I Know About You" [[an unusual, surprise campy song), "Going Down For The Third Time" [[powerful and very "A" side), "I Guess I'll Always Love You" [[Isley Brothers re-do), "Will This Be The Day" [[wishful, girlie and pretty), "The Young Folks" [[the definitive 1969 Stonewall Rebellion theme song), "He's My Sonny Boy" and many others -- plus the ultimate DRS [[pre-Stonewall) flipside song, "Ask Any Girl".

My favorite of the B-sides remains to be "Who Could Ever Doubt My Love." I recall that, although I didn't have access to a 'record player' at home, my aunts had the "I Hear a Symphony" single at their house, and while visiting them, I would play the B-side much more than the A-side. There was just something about hearing those beautiful background harmonies so pronounced under a lead vocal that, for the most part, was in Diana's lower register making her voice sound so syrupy and rich. It's such a sad, longing song to listen to. Over the years, it was rare that I would read other comments referring to this excellent B-side.

Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post
    My favorite of the B-sides remains to be "Who Could Ever Doubt My Love." I recall that, although I didn't have access to a 'record player' at home, my aunts had the "I Hear a Symphony" single at their house, and while visiting them, I would play the B-side much more than the A-side. There was just something about hearing those beautiful background harmonies so pronounced under a lead vocal that, for the most part, was in Diana's lower register making her voice sound so syrupy and rich. It's such a sad, longing song to listen to. Over the years, it was rare that I would read other comments referring to this excellent B-side.
    Definitely one of the underrated Supremes cuts. I love everything about that record. Another B side that I love- and think it would've made a great A side- is "I'm In Love Again". And "Will This Be the Day" is another great one.

many gems, but i LOVE Going Down 4 The Third Time,.... He's All I Got was really cute and Ask Any Girl just a classic

I, too, have purchased this self-produced CD from someone years ago in San Francisco.
    I really loved the concept. I wish that Motown would have released a similar product. But I ran into a problem. Halfways into the CD I hit a "stuck" chord and had to discontinue playing the balance of it. In all of the hundreds of Motown authorized CDs, I have never had a CD they released that had this problem. So beware if you happen to purchase one of these CDs. It just might be defective. Mine was. And I was disappointed.