[REMOVE ADS]

Ace Collects U.K. Motown Covers

There is no shortage of UK Motown cover versions - some are very good and some just interesting. Just a personal thing in that I don't much enjoy listening to this type of collection. It's a bit like listening to those cover albums such as Top Of The Pops or those Avenue records releases [[Alan Caddy etc) - they're no match for the Motown originals.

With one exception. Dusty was a match for Motown any day of the week because she loved it so much!

'When the Lovelight Starts Shining Through His Eyes' – Dusty Springfield [[from Philips LP SBL 7594, 1964) [[*)

That new ACE collection of non-Motown versions doesn't excite me at all, either. I bought the "Standing In The Shadows Of Motown" DVD and really wanted to love it, but when an in-depth tribute to Motown contains everybody's version EXCEPT Motown's, it's a bummer which makes no sense at all. A lost opportunity, for sure. [[Sorry, Harry, I wanted to love it but couldn't for that very reason.)

But the deluxe CD release of SITSOM was something else with the interviews and vocal-less and stripped mixes.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    But the deluxe CD release of SITSOM was something else with the interviews and vocal-less and stripped mixes.
    I only bought the DVD version. I guess I wasn't aware of the CD version at the time. Or, if I was aware, I wouldn't have bought it, figuring that it was just the audio version of the non-Motown performances from the DVD.

The single cd of SITSOM is the one that has the performances from the film. The 2 disc deluxe version has them on one disc and then a second disc of just the music. I didn't mind the new version from the film. I was caught up in listening intently to the musicians rather than the vocals.

Hi Thom! Yeah, the musician interview content was really good. Think I'm due to dig out my DVD for a replay.

Wow I have never heard of most of these artists! Interesting range of covers though.