[REMOVE ADS]

Least Favorite Song By.....Gladys Knight

As requested

With the Pips or solo

I’ll admit I don’t know Gladys’ work nearly as well as Marvin’s but of the songs I do know I’d say Friendship Train

Always thought it was on the goofy side

My second answer is neither one of us

There’s nothing wrong with the song itself but it ranks high on my list of ‘songs that bum me out’

No matter how good a mood I’m in I will do a complete 180 if I listen to this song

When it comes on when I’m in the car I can’t change the station fast enough

Neither One Of Us .... are you serious ?..... that's a absolute gem , one of her show highlights even today, almost everything Jim Weatherly wrote that Gladys recorded is fabulous.
    The least favourite for me. are the tracks with the Pips on lead, Window Raisin Granny, and Street Brother.

Quote Originally Posted by Eargasm View Post
    Neither One Of Us .... are you serious ?..... that's a absolute gem , one of her show highlights even today, almost everything Jim Weatherly wrote that Gladys recorded is fabulous.
    The least favourite for me. are the tracks with the Pips on lead, Window Raisin Granny, and Street Brother.
    Very serious. Like I said the song is fine I just find it terribly depressing and I hate listening to it

I've seen her perform it many times here in the UK, since the 70's to present day ..... never failed to get a standing ovation !.....I fully respect your take on it, just find it hard to understand.

It depresses OS. I can understand that. Some songs I avoid cause it was hard time in my life . Friendship Train also my least fave. Neither one of us my fave.

License to Kill. Yuck.

Money, from the 2ND ANNIVERSARY album.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    License to Kill. Yuck.
    This. I never liked the song and 30 years later, I still don't like it.

I loved "Neither One of Us " and especially "Friendship Train". It just goes to show that we all have different tastes.

I'm sorry. I just can't think of a song by Gladys Knights with the Pips or solo that I really dislike.

Wind Beneath My Wings, I just cannot stand any version of that sung by any act.

Count me among the ones that really like Friendship Train. The musical intro is smoking hot! Like someone else said I would be hard-pressed to come up with one that I didn't like, but I will say that in general, I think Motown brought the best out in them and Buddah maybe not quite so much.

I don't think I've played "Theme from Valley of the Dolls" again since I bought the SilkNSoul album.

Probably "Friendship Train". I've never liked it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ngroove View Post
    Wind Beneath My Wings, I just cannot stand any version of that sung by any act.
    That's a good pick. Too syrupy for my taste.

I, too, love "Friendship Train" and "Neither One Of Us". I'm really surprised that others don't but, hey, to each his own. What bores me to pieces are some of those live-sounding Jim Weatherly songs. I much prefer Gladys & The Pips' funky Norman Whitfield productions, and sweet, soulful masterpieces like Clay McMurray's "If I Were Your Woman" which sounds like Motown. "The Way We Were" kind of stuff just doesn't move me at all. It's a solid track-skipper for me.

Friendship Train and Love Overboard are the ones that i feel i should like but never have done.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Friendship Train and Love Overboard are the ones that i feel i should like but never have done.
    Bluebrock, funny how we're all so similar in our love for The Motown Sound, yet we're all as different as night and day when it comes to which songs we like or don't like. Guess it's what makes the world go 'round!

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Bluebrock, funny how we're all so similar in our love for The Motown Sound, yet we're all as different as night and day when it comes to which songs we like or don't like. Guess it's what makes the world go 'round!
    Yup and it's a beautiful thing in my eyes. How boring would it all be if we liked the same stuff and for the same reasons?

Friendship Train, Neither One of Us and Love Overboard are great songs.

Again trying to be controversial lmao

Wow can’t see how it could be Neither One of Us

But maybe something like Window raisin Granny

I’m surprised no one listed The Way We Were

License to kill, and Bourgie Bourgie.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I was just about to. Never cared for Gladys' Way We Were.
    Yet I really liked her Help Me Make It Through The Night.
    Maybe I just prefer country Gladys over pop Gladys.
    Maybe

Wow can’t see how it could be Neither One of Us

But maybe something like Window raisin Granny

I always find it interesting that some of the most soulful acts of our time would pick syrupy stuff to sing. Like just because you can doesn't mean you oughta lol

I'm not too fond of Window-Raisin' Granny either.

Where Peaceful Waters Flow is another because it sounded too much like Neither One of Us and written by the same writer [[who was a hippie-ish country singer-songwriter lol). We didn't need another NOUS. Thank God they came out with Midnight Train shortly afterwards!

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    I always find it interesting that some of the most soulful acts of our time would pick syrupy stuff to sing. Like just because you can doesn't mean you oughta lol

I'm not too fond of Window-Raisin' Granny either.

Where Peaceful Waters Flow is another because it sounded too much like Neither One of Us and written by the same writer [[who was a hippie-ish country singer-songwriter lol). We didn't need another NOUS. Thank God they came out with Midnight Train shortly afterwards!
    Neither One Of Us and Peaceful Waters sound nothing alike to me... I was fortunate to see them sing Peaceful Waters live in the mid 70's, one of my ALL TIME faves what I wouldn't give to see her sing it today !....

^ I just meant musically. They're nothing like elsewhere, I agree. Just the sound of it somewhat was a little repetitive and that's when Motown kept pushing NOUS to stop its momentum. Since there were two competing Pips ballads on two different labels and Motown was able to stop Neil Bogart from pushing "Peaceful Waters", they released Midnight Train once NOUS started to go down.

Just wanted to clarify.

Gladys does hardly perform it though. Wonder if she herself liked it!

There's a version of "Georgia On My Mind" on 2nd Anniversary which sounds like it was recorded live in a tin can. Not a fan of that.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    There's a version of "Georgia On My Mind" on 2nd Anniversary which sounds like it was recorded live in a tin can. Not a fan of that.
    The sound is horrible on that track. It was taken from an episode of their NBC summer series.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    The sound is horrible on that track. It was taken from an episode of their NBC summer series.
    Oh right, thanks reese. Apparently I disliked the track so much I deleted it from my library after I listened to it!

I love it. Gladys, Donna Summer and Mary Wilson are the only people I like hearing sing that song. Other than that, it's usually not my thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Variety is the spice of life my friend.

I do not like Walk in My Shoes.

I LOVE Walk In My Shoes.... a huge Northern Soul fave of mine...… wasn't keen on " Ching Chong" though ….. b side to Whistle My Love Gladys aged 14 ! lol

I am not kidding. I cannot think of any songs by Gladys Knight & the Pips or Gladys solo, that I do not like. I do not like all of them equally, but I like the majority of their work.

Neither One Of Us and Peaceful Waters sound nothing alike to me... I was fortunate to see them sing Peaceful Waters live in the mid 70's, one of my ALL TIME faves what I wouldn't give to see her sing it today !....
    This was such a great song. Also loved "So Sad the Song" that came out a bit later.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I am not kidding. I cannot think of any songs by Gladys Knight & the Pips or Gladys solo, that I do not like. I do not like all of them equally, but I like the majority of their work.
    I agree, it's a tough call as Gladys can make even average songs sound great.
    Having said, one song i find impossible to listen to is "For All We Know". Not even someone with a voice as soulful as Gladys can rise above an arrangement as awful as that.