[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Let yourself go single. What happened............

After a sort of rebound with the album High Energy #42 and a semi hit single Let My heart do the walking.#40 with a sparkling Scherrie Lead their best showing since 1972's Floy Joy, it seems the supremes in the bicentinnial summer 76 were on a rebound. but then came Mary scherrie and susaye lp in October a single that got stuck at #85 Your My drivin wheel, and a final single "Let Yourself Go" along with the accompanying album that both failed to hit the record charts. Let yourself go sounded like more of a go than driving wheel, but iglmhdtw was certainly a pop friendly record that jumped up the charts 10 notches a week until it got stuck at #40 in August 76. Let yourself go still remains a mystery as to its lackluster performance and as one of the most disco danceable sounding recordings in the supremes catalogue

Its also hard to believe that the High energy album only had one single release, surely they could have followed iglmhdtw with high energy or "Only You" but they missed the boat.

not sure what happened with either , i thought you re whats missing in my life was considered and they were performing it in the live show but I also felt their live show was a bit of A MESS with the rushed medleys and over the top broadway songs and then the disco singles. it just didn't work for me and apparently many others. I think the entire High energy and MSS lp should have been performed live mixed with the older hits at the normal pace. I always felt they needed to let the audience hear their new sound. at least that's how I would have managed it.
    I liked Driving Wheel but honestly it was not a crossover hit.pure disco and I do think it made top 5 disco.
    to me,... Let My Heart Do The Walking was a tremendous return to form. great track,great vocals.
    I do think Let Yourself Go had potential and it would have been the lead single for the group, Sweet Dream Machine ,Love I Never Knew both were great.
    I also thought Bend A Little and Sha La Bandit should have been released at some point. I think there was an issue with who sang lead so some gems were left off. who was in charge here??? obviously the wrong person

Quote Originally Posted by franjoy56 View Post
    After a sort of rebound with the album High Energy #42 and a semi hit single Let My heart do the walking.#40 with a sparkling Scherrie Lead their best showing since 1972's Floy Joy, it seems the supremes in the bicentinnial summer 76 were on a rebound. but then came Mary scherrie and susaye lp in October a single that got stuck at #85 Your My drivin wheel, and a final single "Let Yourself Go" along with the accompanying album that both failed to hit the record charts. Let yourself go sounded like more of a go than driving wheel, but iglmhdtw was certainly a pop friendly record that jumped up the charts 10 notches a week until it got stuck at #40 in August 76. Let yourself go still remains a mystery as to its lackluster performance and as one of the most disco danceable sounding recordings in the supremes catalogue
    I remember that album, "Mary, Scherrie & Susaye" was one of the albums I got for Christmas in 1976. Upon first listening, I was not all that thrilled by it. I did like "You Are the Heart of Me", "We Should Be Closer Together" and "Sweet Dream Machine". The dance songs took a long while for me to begin to like. By the time "Let Yourself Go" was released it has already been announced in the media that Mary was going solo. Also, they were in Europe a lot during that time. "Let Yourself Go" did not receive any Pop radio play at least not in my area. It did receive considerable club play. Still that was not enough to boost sales of the single or album.

Its also hard to believe that the High energy album only had one single release, surely they could have followed iglmhdtw with high energy or "Only You" but they missed the boat.
    Motown did not promote it. It was easier to find in the store [[got my copy at a Montgomery Wards LOL!) than the "Supremes" album from 1975. Motown had begun playing around with the radio promos for the first single, going as far as having it pulled from some playlists according to Scherrie Payne in lieu of the lastest Diana Ross single. Still, there were at least 3 potential singles on that album. One being "You're What's Missing In My Life" great song.

Both pop and black radio programmers were resistant to playing disco and they included it in their playlists begrudgingly and as little as possible. It was hard for disco records like LET YOURSELF GO to break through this barrier especially when so much other disco product was competing for these limited airplay slots.

LET YOURSELF GO was good quality disco and did very well in the clubs , but its momentum was lost by the time it was released as a single because the clubs had already been playing several Supremes cuts off their album simultaneously for weeks. Collectively , three songs from M,S & S [[ LYG, YMDW,LINKYCFSG) reached #5 on the disco chart.

As said, there was poor marketing here by Motown . LET YOURSELF GO might've had a chance if the label had been more proactive in making it an even bigger club hit with a longer version 12" remix provided to the clubs . In turn, this special pressing should've been made commercially available to the club going buying public, which could've resulted in stores reporting the song's popularity to the trades thus giving it traction and a pathway to acceptance.
    It's not as if Motown didn't understand this process for working disco , they did it for both LOVE HANGOVER and DON'T LEAVE ME THIS WAY.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 02-19-2019 at 01:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    not sure what happened with either , i thought you re whats missing in my life was considered and they were performing it in the live show but I also felt their live show was a bit of A MESS with the rushed medleys and over the top broadway songs and then the disco singles. it just didn't work for me and apparently many others. I think the entire High energy and MSS lp should have been performed live mixed with the older hits at the normal pace. I always felt they needed to let the audience hear their new sound. at least that's how I would have managed it.
    I liked Driving Wheel but honestly it was not a crossover hit.pure disco and I do think it made top 5 disco.
    to me,... Let My Heart Do The Walking was a tremendous return to form. great track,great vocals.
    I do think Let Yourself Go had potential and it would have been the lead single for the group, Sweet Dream Machine ,Love I Never Knew both were great.
    I also thought Bend A Little and Sha La Bandit should have been released at some point. I think there was an issue with who sang lead so some gems were left off. who was in charge here??? obviously the wrong person
    Driving wheel was a poor choice of single. Scherrie did her best, but must have cringed at some of those lyrics. The album was released too quickly after the High Energy album which still had a couple of potential hit singles in Your Whats Missing and the title track. The live shows were a hot mess which hardly helped the situation.
    Whoever was in charge did indeed screw up big time. Too much Mary, not enough Scherrie on the leads. I had lost interest by this time. Little wonder many others thought the same.

Very well stated

Yes true t 12 inch singles were a big factor i dont remember any 12 inch singles issued to t supremes during this period lyg should have been one of them.

I believe I read in a book somewhere that Berry Gordy was at Motown and heard some of the tracks from MSS and said "it was the high quality we needed" and that he wanted to executive produce and manage the group again. I am sure Mary was quite wary about such an offer since the group had done well with Jean but Berry had "washed his hands of the group".
    First off, they should have released the title track as the second single and YWMIML as the third single, both had potential. I guess seeing the hit IGLMHDTW stall at #40 when it should have gone much higher gave them encouragement but if that was the best song why release others? The same thing seemed to happen with Stoned Love in 1970. The MSS LP was too soon after High Energy and Driving Wheel was the wrong pick for the first single, it should have been Let Yourself Go. Motown clearly had washed their hands, even proclaiming that new girl group High Inergy would be "bigger than the Supremes".

HE is a very good album but Walking is without doubt the clear winner on it. The rest are fine for LP content but none has the strength of Walking. Possibly the title track but no way were they[[Mary and Pedro) gonna release a track on susaye.

Walking had power and established a sound for the group. They probably wanted to build off that new direction and so the MSS set was rapidly pulled together. I think it’s one of the strongest lps for the group ever. But several things IMO killer it

1. Wrong lead single. I like Wheel but not a good choice. From a song structure and sound it’s quite different from Walking. U needed a follow up more in keeping w the previous hit

2. Mary’s departure. Her foolish decision to leave meant that whatever minimal interest Motown and the public had in the group evaporated

3. Promotion for disco. The above comment is spot on about Motown not understanding how to promote disco tracks. Saturday Night Fever hasn’t hit yet so the mega explosion of disco hasn’t occurred and at this time it was mostly about club cross over. If the top djs were playing it then clubgoers would look for single. This would push local record stores and radio to maybe eventually play it which would sometimes lead to pop cross over. Motown wasn’t a huge source for hot disco at time

BG offered to manage the group again twice, once with Jean and then with Scherrie. Mary said no but than complains motown did little for them.
    just to be clear, Diana struggled herself and several of her albums didnt fair any better.
    her Baby Its Me album, one of her best, just got lost. i have no idea what motown was thinking but apparently they werent. how could a great album get lost but motown did several times .
    And the Supremes live shows were a mess . when your audience is getting smaller and smaller you would think hmmm something is worng and fix it. nope they didnt

BG offered to manage the group again twice, once with Jean and then with Scherrie. Mary said no but than complains motown did little for them.
    just to be clear, Diana struggled herself and several of her albums didnt fair any better.
    her Baby Its Me album, one of her best, just got lost. i have no idea what motown was thinking but apparently they werent. how could a great album get lost but motown did several times .
    And the Supremes live shows were a mess . when your audience is getting smaller and smaller you would think hmmm something is worng and fix it. nope they didnt
    None of that had anything to do with the record, "Let Yourself Go". If you're in business, you are suppose sell whatever it is you are putting out. Motown and Berry Gordy did not do that for the Supremes when it came to this release.

My favorite two tracks off the MSS album no one has mentioned, "Come Into My Life" and "I Don't Want to be Tied Down."

I love the way "Life" sounds like it might've been recorded by George Clinton with Parlet. Love the long introduction, the vibe and the weird chanting background vocals. I always thought the lead vocal was shared by two of the ladies, until the gracious Ms. Greene herself corrected me on that via this forum. And Scherrie gives just a bravura performance on "Tied Down." I love the backing track with that sort of shuffle beat.

I always thought "Let Yourself Go" a pretty ordinary song. I think it likely sounds better now than it did at the time when the air waves were flooded with disco. To me it was pretty standard disco fare. I liked "Driving Wheel" and did hear it on the radio a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    None of that had anything to do with the record, "Let Yourself Go". If you're in business, you are suppose sell whatever it is you are putting out. Motown and Berry Gordy did not do that for the Supremes when it came to this release.
    I disagree, and by the time LYG was released Mary announced she was going solo. so no one cared . I think Motown was glad

"I Don't Want To Be Tied Down" was the hit single that never was from that last album. Not my fave, but a hit all the same. All the promotion in the world was never going to make "Driving Wheel" a pop hit. Absolutely terrible choice for first single.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    "I Don't Want To Be Tied Down" was the hit single that never was from that last album. Not my fave, but a hit all the same. All the promotion in the world was never going to make "Driving Wheel" a pop hit. Absolutely terrible choice for first single.
    I totally agree. great track. I think Driving Wheel was the weakest track on the album. the rest kicked butt and had potential

I totally agree. great track. I think Driving Wheel was the weakest track on the album. the rest kicked butt and had potential
    "Driving Wheel for me is also the weakest song on the album david. Choosing it as the first single was really really odd. Was there some sKulduggery at hand i wonder lol.
    I would love to know who made the decision???.

Driving wheel is for sure an absolute turkey. Who the hell decided that load of old tosh was a suitable choice for the 1st single? When i first heard it i couldn't believe how tacky those lyrics were. It finally killed off the Supremes, but in truth they had been dying a slow lingering death since 1973.

I disagree, and by the time LYG was released Mary announced she was going solo. so no one cared . I think Motown was glad
    I totally hate the way my favorite group ended. Mary announces that she is leaving one of the best Supreme line-ups [[MSS), does her farewell Supreme show out of the country, leaves the two surviving Supremes in the wind as she goes out on tour as Mary Wilson & the Supremes, the two surviving Motown Supremes are caused to disband along with Joyce, who was standing in the wings waiting to join, Mary's career as a soloist seems to have stalled and she hangs onto the Supreme name and fake Supremes for years living off the Supreme legacy. Decades later, she says that she has kept the Supreme Legacy alive, but sometimes I think it is the other way around.

During the run of the Supremes, I always watched Mary in the live performances in person or on TV. I loved her smile and enthusiasm. So perhaps she was my favorite Supreme at the time.

But it saddens me that she turned over management of the group to her husband. Evidently, he couldn't even keep track of his bookings in the end and Mary continued to tour as a Supreme even though she had announced her departure and had a farewell concert.

Having followed this group since the beginning and sticking by it through to the end, I found the end confusing and sad and kind of bitter the group ended in such a sad way

Everyone I played the last 3 LPS for liked them...and was surprised it was the Supremes. Like someone stated above....the club play was carrying the group. Radio formatting was either Pop/Heavy Disco...a lot of stations didn't cross mix. He's My Man didn't stand a chance on pop radio...considering the climate, it was a good choice to reintroduce the group keeping with the times...Color My World Blue was very Pop/RnB friendly and should have been issued and promoted as soon as HMM crested. High Energy was a much more pulled together LP...the spiraling long intro and soaring vocals on the opening cut set the stage nicely for IGLMHDTW...with the latin tinged percussion and scat intro. Scherrie Payne nailed it!...but die hard fans were upset there was another personnel change. Cindy was a very much loved and very recognizable Supreme...Not having an extended 12"single available def hurt IGLMHDTW...not to mention a very choppy 7" edit....MS&S was great LP....many record stores here in NYC gave the LP lots of display visibility. Once again, it was dance/club friendly, and one magazine review stated all the cuts were being played by DJs...I loved [[and still do) Driving Wheel..it was tight..the LP version had a very hypnotic groove...loved that pounding acoustic piano and Scherries drop into the background chorus vocals. at the time I thought Let Yourself Go was a masterpiece... it was IMHO very fast to dance to.
    I didn't go to clubs...but a friend who went every weekend said DJ's usually slowed the pitch a bit...I think LYG shows its age more than both IGLMHDTW a YMDW

i loved COLOR MY WORLD BLUE, thought this could have been a single
    BEND A LITTLE, why was the left off. a lot of mistakes.

that was nice....but I prefer the original extended with Mary's spoken lines. I think CMWB and You're What's Missing are the 2 most commercial sounding and radio friendly cuts from the Scherrie era....there were many more choices in the what-would-have-made-a-great-extended-dance/remix-single genre than the chance-for-a-big-radio-hit one.

All of these are factors but consider these complications and you know why the single tanked:

1. The group's latest and last lp, Mary, Scherrie & Susaye, was dead. The first single out bombed and Motown waited far too long to issue a second single to promote the album. LYG was barely distributed by Motown, I had to special order it.

2. The Supremes were dead. Mary and Pedro had pretty much driven the group into the ground. There was so much dissension that pretty much each lady was staying to herself while performing together.

3. Motown itself was dying a slow death. LYG was issued in early 1977, the beginning of one of Motown's worst years since the early 60s. The company only had a handful of hit singles and lps during this period and by the end of that year Motown was in trouble. They were also not developing enough new performers and of the ones they did sign, only High Inergy, Switch and Rick James were the only ones to take off. Only James sustained. Wonder, Gaye and the Commodores ruled while Ross stagnated and Robinson floundered. It would be two years before Gordy took back the label he created and got it up and running correctly again.

LYG was by and far a contract release. Motown attended the groups disastrous opening in Vegas and the word at the company is that they had degraded into an amateurish act. Scherrie Payne & Susaye Greene were both astounding vocalists and Mary even flourished with them. The most impressive grouping of Supremes would be that last group, when captured in the studio where the sound was controlled. On stage they often seemed to be competing with one another. Their stage show was all wrong, a mixture of Vegas and disco. Not a good mix.

Mary announced she was leaving, then tried to come back and what followed was a windfall for different lawyers in Hollywood.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    I totally hate the way my favorite group ended. Mary announces that she is leaving one of the best Supreme line-ups [[MSS), does her farewell Supreme show out of the country, leaves the two surviving Supremes in the wind as she goes out on tour as Mary Wilson & the Supremes, the two surviving Motown Supremes are caused to disband along with Joyce, who was standing in the wings waiting to join, Mary's career as a soloist seems to have stalled and she hangs onto the Supreme name and fake Supremes for years living off the Supreme legacy. Decades later, she says that she has kept the Supreme Legacy alive, but sometimes I think it is the other way around.

During the run of the Supremes, I always watched Mary in the live performances in person or on TV. I loved her smile and enthusiasm. So perhaps she was my favorite Supreme at the time.

But it saddens me that she turned over management of the group to her husband. Evidently, he couldn't even keep track of his bookings in the end and Mary continued to tour as a Supreme even though she had announced her departure and had a farewell concert.

Having followed this group since the beginning and sticking by it through to the end, I found the end confusing and sad and kind of bitter the group ended in such a sad way
    This is the most sane, balanced thing I have read here in a while. I’m glad you are able to cut through the Diana-Mary drama around here and I appreciate the clear-eyed perspective on this 45+ year old point in the Supremes timeline. I have always been troubled by how things ended and this nicely expresses the bitter-sweetness of that point in time. Nothing works out the way we thought it would and our favorite supergroup is no exception to that rule. Humans, I suppose.

"Color My World Blue" is great from start to finish. I have very strong memories of the mid 70s and that record would been perfect for Pop and Soul radio at that time. Great harmonies and Scherrie does a great job on lead.

Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    that was nice....but I prefer the original extended with Mary's spoken lines. I think CMWB and You're What's Missing are the 2 most commercial sounding and radio friendly cuts from the Scherrie era....there were many more choices in the what-would-have-made-a-great-extended-dance/remix-single genre than the chance-for-a-big-radio-hit one.
    I just the version with Mary Wilson's spoken lines and thought it was very nice also. You are right about those two songs. They definitely had commercial appeal and sound very radio friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    All of these are factors but consider these complications and you know why the single tanked:

1. The group's latest and last lp, Mary, Scherrie & Susaye, was dead. The first single out bombed and Motown waited far too long to issue a second single to promote the album. LYG was barely distributed by Motown, I had to special order it.

2. The Supremes were dead. Mary and Pedro had pretty much driven the group into the ground. There was so much dissension that pretty much each lady was staying to herself while performing together.

3. Motown itself was dying a slow death. LYG was issued in early 1977, the beginning of one of Motown's worst years since the early 60s. The company only had a handful of hit singles and lps during this period and by the end of that year Motown was in trouble. They were also not developing enough new performers and of the ones they did sign, only High Inergy, Switch and Rick James were the only ones to take off. Only James sustained. Wonder, Gaye and the Commodores ruled while Ross stagnated and Robinson floundered. It would be two years before Gordy took back the label he created and got it up and running correctly again.

LYG was by and far a contract release. Motown attended the groups disastrous opening in Vegas and the word at the company is that they had degraded into an amateurish act. Scherrie Payne & Susaye Greene were both astounding vocalists and Mary even flourished with them. The most impressive grouping of Supremes would be that last group, when captured in the studio where the sound was controlled. On stage they often seemed to be competing with one another. Their stage show was all wrong, a mixture of Vegas and disco. Not a good mix.

Mary announced she was leaving, then tried to come back and what followed was a windfall for different lawyers in Hollywood.
    Great recap rick. Always love reading your insightful posts

I have a bootleg copy of the Caesar show and I like it cuz the sound quality of the recording is excellent. You can clearly hear all three girls, the orchestra, the strings. But lord. The show was a hot mess. Absolutely right that the set list was all wrong. Also nearly a third of the show was dedicated to the three solo numbers from each girl. Sorry but I want to hear The Supremes. Not susaye. Not Mary. Not scherrie. I want to hear the group.

Also not only do the girls sing over each other too much but there’s too much constant three part harmony and sometimes they’re not in tune. Perhaps too much choreography so it impacted their singing.

And then the horrid 60s medley while in the mega dress. The medley starts w a poor imitation of Ed Sullivan and they play up a lot of the “stuck on you” lyrics like Set Me Free Why Don’t Yoh Babe, I cant break away [[from nothing but heartaches) etc. I’m guessing they were trying to be funny and show they’re all in this one dress a la Hair. But there are no references to Hair for the audience to make this correlation!!!! Insane

Mary had no business trying to manage this group. The results clearly speak for themselves. The instant Gordy offered to manage again they should have JUMPED at the chance

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    "Color My World Blue" is great from start to finish. I have very strong memories of the mid 70s and that record would been perfect for Pop and Soul radio at that time. Great harmonies and Scherrie does a great job on lead.
    Agreed! An excellent song. I think they should have quickly pulled all these pop tracks into the first lp. Relaunch the group w Color, can’t stop a girl, sha la, it’s all been said, etc. Put out a solid lp w those and get the group alive again on the pop and r&b charts. Then follow up w a dance lp w He’s My, where do I go, dance fever and the rest

I suppose poor MGMT is to blame.
    Bad decisions across the board
    Last edited by daviddh; 02-22-2019 at 06:36 PM.

I suppose poor MGMT us to blame.
    Bad decisions across the board
    you guys really went all out in providing i n s ight a s t why the supremes and their last records set t group to its grave should have ended w lyg in t top 20 . we cant always win just greatful f the music

you guys really went all out in providing i n s ight a s t why the supremes and their last records set t group to its grave should have ended w lyg in t top 20 . we cant always win just greatful f the music
    I'm with you on that Fran. The two main reasons that Let Yourself Go did not do better is because the album Mary, Scherrie and Susaye was released too close behind High Energy and lack of serious promotion by Motown. They needed radio promotion and better distribution of those last few singles. Their final single wasn't even released in America.
    Last edited by marv2; 02-23-2019 at 01:19 AM.

I am grateful for the music as well and that music is why we are still here. we are all passionate about Motown and its artist, and I think we all we saddened to see the group go out the way they did. I remember being frustrated that Let Yourself Go got no airplay, but it was more or less disco and not all stations were playing it, simple. sad but true. I think the Supremes and Motown needed us to handle their PR dept

I KNOW IT'S A STUPID SONG BUT I LOVE "YOU'RE MY DRIVING WHEEL"!!!!!

I also like "Let Yourself Go"! Again though both are great disco tracks, but I can't see them crossing over to mainstream pop success that much.

Few things. First was it really Mary wanting to rejoin or was it Pedro wanting scherrie and Susaye to rejoin. Motown wanting to manage them again could’ve been fools gold. They have you again and then turn around and do nothing for them.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    And then the horrid 60s medley while in the mega dress. The medley starts w a poor imitation of Ed Sullivan and they play up a lot of the “stuck on you” lyrics like Set Me Free Why Don’t Yoh Babe, I cant break away [[from nothing but heartaches) etc. I’m guessing they were trying to be funny and show they’re all in this one dress a la Hair. But there are no references to Hair for the audience to make this correlation!!!! Insane
    Mary still has that Hair Folly three-in-one dress. We tried to have it photographed for the upcoming book, but we couldn't figure out how it worked, what was up, what was down, or how to fit it on the mannequins. No wonder it didn't work then. It didn't work for the photoshoot. As Mary said "I still don't know how this thing works" as she tossed it back into the storage box.

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    Few things. First was it really Mary wanting to rejoin or was it Pedro wanting scherrie and Susaye to rejoin. Motown wanting to manage them again could’ve been fools gold. They have you again and then turn around and do nothing for them.
    I believe Motown wanted to manage them again so that they could finish them off for good! I look at the way they handle the albums "Mary Wilson" and "Partners" as an indication of that.

in regards to Mary's solo album, i liked Warm Summer Night and Pick Up The Pieces. but RED HOT. omg awful. I tried to like it but....again straight to the disco dumpster.
    the Partners lp was artistically good but not commercially good. I remember a song called Luvbug . I think Ray Charles sang on it and Scherries Another life From Now.beautiful track. but.....again neither hit the mark and Motown dropped them both .
    looking back how did Marys album even get released. but maybe that was the plan. get rid of her

Yes true t 12 inch singles were a big factor i dont remember any 12 inch singles issued to t supremes during this period lyg should have been one of them.
    Fran, they did not get any 12" releases for any of the songs from that album which was another mistake being that they were Disco songs.

in regards to Mary's solo album, i liked Warm Summer Night and Pick Up The Pieces. but RED HOT. omg awful. I tried to like it but....again straight to the disco dumpster.
    the Partners lp was artistically good but not commercially good. I remember a song called Luvbug . I think Ray Charles sang on it and Scherries Another life From Now.beautiful track. but.....again neither hit the mark and Motown dropped them both .
    looking back how did Marys album even get released. but maybe that was the plan. get rid of her
    I loved "Red Hot". It was a great dance record. Many have done remixes on it since. Some as recent as last year. My favorite version was the 12" version. It sounded nothing like the Supremes [[which was good) and more like something James Brown would have done.

Hey everyone check this out! This is how the song was heard in New York City Discos of the song "Let Yourself Go" by the Supremes. It was created by popular DJ Larry Levan and is still played on a Saturday dance party show on WBLS in NYC. It should have been a 12" release:

I love how in the beginning of this remix Scherrie says "Turkessa's is going to wind up speaking in Spanish and Mary is not going to understand her....." LOL!!!!

really good, to bad this didnt take off,perhaps this was a year to early with SNF a year later. tight vocals.
    did they do this in concert? i think Mary's departure killed this off.wasnt this released in jan 77 with mary leaving june 77.i suppose they could have had one more hit. it did make top 5 dance.perhaps a 12 in versionmay have helped it

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    Mary still has that Hair Folly three-in-one dress. We tried to have it photographed for the upcoming book, but we couldn't figure out how it worked, what was up, what was down, or how to fit it on the mannequins. No wonder it didn't work then. It didn't work for the photoshoot. As Mary said "I still don't know how this thing works" as she tossed it back into the storage box.
    Hahaha that’s hysterical. I believe in her book she said the run at Caesar was cut short due to poor ticket sales. I wonder if they even used the dress for the short time they were there. Or if after a show or two the ditched it.

On the recording they do get relatively strong audience response from some numbers. But then others there’s barely any applause 😳 there was none hardly after the hits medley

It’s an odd show lineup:

Everybody gets to go to moon/corner of sky
    Let yourself go
    60s medley
    Maybe this time
    People - susaye solo
    What about today - scherrie solo
    He’s my man
    How lucky can you get - Mary solo
    You’re my driving wheel
    Let yourself go reprise and bows

I agree. Mary's album was awful. Poor song selection of songs except for the two you mentioned. Mary's vocals were of a poor standard which may or may not have had something to do with her being pregnant, but even a talented vocalist would have a tough job making these songs sound decent so poor Mary had no chance.
    I liked the Partners album but it was not commercial enough to be a success. Great vocals throughout though.

After seeing Mary live for the first time in the mid 80's, I said Wow!...her voice definitely had more power and range than I heard on recordings...even live fan to fan bootlegs of MSC/MSS shows. She definitely honed her craft after leaving the group...and this comes from someone who chose MW for his favorite Supreme....first recording I heard that sounded anything like the live voice was Ian Levine's Motorcity track Don't Get Mad Get Even [[of course, You Danced My Heart Around The Stars was recorded almost 10 years earlier...but I hadn't heard that masterpiece yet...that's one of my all time fav MW tracks) Red Hot was breathy and sexy...the 12" mix is far superior..so was Warm Summer Night...only 2 songs I still play. I liked Partners...insert 3 MW leads, and we could have had basically the next Supremes LP...loved In The Night the most...and I Found Another Love and Scherrie's excellent ballard closer...Finally, with Walk The Line we got a Mary CD that sounded like they weren't asking her to whisper... seeing her live, she at least once puts the mic down by her side and belts...it's clear,and it's in tune. She has developed "chops"

Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    After seeing Mary live for the first time in the mid 80's, I said Wow!...her voice definitely had more power and range than I heard on recordings...even live fan to fan bootlegs of MSC/MSS shows. She definitely honed her craft after leaving the group...and this comes from someone who chose MW for his favorite Supreme....first recording I heard that sounded anything like the live voice was Ian Levine's Motorcity track Don't Get Mad Get Even [[of course, You Danced My Heart Around The Stars was recorded almost 10 years earlier...but I hadn't heard that masterpiece yet...that's one of my all time fav MW tracks) Red Hot was breathy and sexy...the 12" mix is far superior..so was Warm Summer Night...only 2 songs I still play. I liked Partners...insert 3 MW leads, and we could have had basically the next Supremes LP...loved In The Night the most...and I Found Another Love and Scherrie's excellent ballard closer...Finally, with Walk The Line we got a Mary CD that sounded like they weren't asking her to whisper... seeing her live, she at least once puts the mic down by her side and belts...it's clear,and it's in tune. She has developed "chops"
    I wholeheartedly agree with you gman. To me Mary has always sounded far better live then on many of her recordings.
    The first time i ever saw her in concert was at the London Palladium in 78 when my parents bought me tickets for my birthday. Even then i was blown away at just how rich and powerful her voice was .
    As you say she has honed her craft over the years and is a consummate live performer. The one thing Mary desperately needed in those early solo years was musical direction. Had she found her musical niche earlier things might have been very differerent for her.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    Hahaha that’s hysterical. I believe in her book she said the run at Caesar was cut short due to poor ticket sales. I wonder if they even used the dress for the short time they were there. Or if after a show or two the ditched it.

On the recording they do get relatively strong audience response from some numbers. But then others there’s barely any applause  there was none hardly after the hits medley

It’s an odd show lineup:

Everybody gets to go to moon/corner of sky
    Let yourself go
    60s medley
    Maybe this time
    People - susaye solo
    What about today - scherrie solo
    He’s my man
    How lucky can you get - Mary solo
    You’re my driving wheel
    Let yourself go reprise and bows
    I had this concert at some point. this concert is exactly what I didn't like about the Supremes shows.to many standards or broadway style songs. just over the top for me. I want to hear Supremes hits. with the talent in this group no excuse for this. who came up with this nonsense and no one had sense to say this isn't working. this sucks.
    the 60s medley was a day at the races. total lackluster

You know what would really be cool? If they remixed the entire "Mary, Scherrie & Susaye" album and re-release it like a new album. I'd love to see something like that. There was too much good music on it that was not heard by many people.