[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    not a bad idea, I did hear Susaye wanted to remix LYG a while back

I don't know if the Scherrie Payne years CD set sold out....but the Jean Terrell one did. I believe the first set had a 5000 copy printing...and the later one 3000....didn't Scherrie recut LYG with many different mixes on a CD just a few years ago? I don't want clubby electronic remixes...just some 12" mixes using as much of the original instrumentation as possible like they would have sounded at the time...[[call in Russ)

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    You know what would really be cool? If they remixed the entire "Mary, Scherrie & Susaye" album and re-release it like a new album. I'd love to see something like that. There was too much good music on it that was not heard by many people.
    That’s a sensational idea. The hot dance tracks could easily be updated for today’s sounds. And then the more avant-garde tracks like Sweet Dream, come into and we should be closer would be very interesting to hear different interpretations

I was very happy that we got to do new, unedited mixes of "Driving Wheel," "Dream Machine," and "Love I Never Knew," on the Final Sessions box. "Let Yourself Go" was next in line but we ran out of time and space. I really wanted to get my hands on that one. There are still some other gems. From the 75 album "Where Do I Go From Here" is actually very long but it was edited for the album. The full version would have made a perfect 12". "Early Morning Love" is also much longer. Maybe if we EVER get a 70's Lost & Found... Still waiting for a green light on another expanded edition.

Quote Originally Posted by George Solomon View Post
    "Early Morning Love" is also much longer.
    Did Scherrie Payne record a lead vocal for "Early Morning Love"? Are there any more unissued Scherrie leads?
    Last edited by smallworld; 02-25-2019 at 02:44 PM.

Oh I so wish there was another LYG track. That’s one of my all time fav Sup songs. Not that I wasn’t thrilled w the scherrie set. But ohhh I’m now dying for the L&F set lol

I’d even like a full unedited Love I Never Knew. I know the liner notes said it went on forever but I’m fine with that lol

I was very happy that we got to do new, unedited mixes of "Driving Wheel," "Dream Machine," and "Love I Never Knew," on the Final Sessions box. "Let Yourself Go" was next in line but we ran out of time and space. I really wanted to get my hands on that one. There are still some other gems. From the 75 album "Where Do I Go From Here" is actually very long but it was edited for the album. The full version would have made a perfect 12". "Early Morning Love" is also much longer. Maybe if we EVER get a 70's Lost & Found... Still waiting for a green light on another expanded edition.
    George, you have to admit that some of these songs were very, very good. Also, the vocals are superior to just about anything being heard today. My frustration comes from truly believing that if these recordings were heard by more, they would have sold a huge amount and received substantial airplay. They still do not sound dated today. I've comments on you Youtube for songs like "You Are The Heart of Me" and some are amazed t hat they are just hearing it now.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Hey everyone check this out! This is how the song was heard in New York City Discos of the song "Let Yourself Go" by the Supremes. It was created by popular DJ Larry Levan and is still played on a Saturday dance party show on WBLS in NYC. It should have been a 12" release:

this is not a Larry Levan mix for several reasons. For starters, his style was nothing like this.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 02-25-2019 at 08:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    this is not a Larry Levan mix for several reasons. For starters, his style was nothing like this.
    The guy that posted this is from France and he claims this is Larry's remix. I don't know. I do know they play this on the weekend for the Saturday night dance party on NYC radio station WBLS.

Ok Boogiedown, now here IS Larry Levan's mix from his original club mixes starting at 59:20 in this video:

good find Marv , It's not a remix of LET YOURSELF GO by Levan , if that's what you mean. It's the original version that's being used within this DJ's set that's being attributed to Larry Levan. It certainly sounds like it could be Larry, but who knows. [[When this was released in 2005 , did anybody involved explain where the set suddenly came from?)

This following Levan set , for me has more credibility, because of the explanatory story presented with it , and also how it was released. It also has a lot of disco "oldies" in the mix considering it's 1979, but it was an anniversary party presentation. It includes I'M GOING TO LET MY HEART DO THE WALKING @ 21:30

As I understood it, Larry did not pre-make his own special in-house versions of any songs. He always DJ'd on-the-spot by using regularly available records between two turn tables , and did not blend in pre- tapes. I don't know if this changed in later years.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 02-26-2019 at 03:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by smallworld View Post
    Did Scherrie Payne record a lead vocal for "Early Morning Love"? Are there any more unissued Scherrie leads?
    Scherrie would have been wonderful singing "early morning love" . Her voice was far better suited to it than Mary's ever was. We can but dream.....

Maybe we should all e-mail Universal and beg them to give the greenlight for a 70's lost and found? It seems to be a very popular idea on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    I don't know if the Scherrie Payne years CD set sold out....but the Jean Terrell one did. I believe the first set had a 5000 copy printing...and the later one 3000....didn't Scherrie recut LYG with many different mixes on a CD just a few years ago? I don't want clubby electronic remixes...just some 12" mixes using as much of the original instrumentation as possible like they would have sounded at the time...[[call in Russ)
    The Scherrie Payne years did not sell particularly well. It is still readily available, but the Jean Terrell set is like Gold dust.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    good find Marv , It's not a remix of LET YOURSELF GO by Levan , if that's what you mean. It's the original version that's being used within this DJ's set that's being attributed to Larry Levan. It certainly sounds like it could be Larry, but who knows. [[When this was released in 2005 , did anybody involved explain where the set suddenly came from?)

This following Levan set , for me has more credibility, because of the explanatory story presented with it , and also how it was released. It also has a lot of disco "oldies" in the mix considering it's 1979, but it was an anniversary party presentation. It includes I'M GOING TO LET MY HEART DO THE WALKING @ 21:30

As I understood it, Larry did not pre-make his own special in-house versions of any songs. He always DJ'd on-the-spot by using regularly available records between two turn tables , and did not blend in pre- tapes. I don't know if this changed in later years.
    I don't know much about Larry Levan. I understood that he was a top DJ in NYC for a long time. He passed in the early 90s. I am more familiar with Frankie Knuckles and Jelly Bean Benitez among others.

If Scherrie recorded Early Morning Love it doesn't exist on the tape anymore. The same with High Energy. I'm surprised that someone didn't at least do one mix before the vocal was erased, as they often did in the 60's. No one can be a hundred percent sure it doesn't exist somewhere.
    I loved this album when it came out. Maybe Marv mentioned earlier that WBLS in New York often played all the tracks and I believe that was the number one station in NY at the time. I used to keep the radio on all day. It doesn't make sense that the album didn't chart at all.

OMG now I want the "Where Do I Go From Here" and "Early Morning Love" Unedited versions. I'm beginning to think we definitely need to start a petition to get a 70's Supremes Lost and Found set out on cd. I'm guessing we would need 5,000-10,000 signatures?....LOL

If Scherrie recorded Early Morning Love it doesn't exist on the tape anymore. The same with High Energy. I'm surprised that someone didn't at least do one mix before the vocal was erased, as they often did in the 60's. No one can be a hundred percent sure it doesn't exist somewhere.
    I loved this album when it came out. Maybe Marv mentioned earlier that WBLS in New York often played all the tracks and I believe that was the number one station in NY at the time. I used to keep the radio on all day. It doesn't make sense that the album didn't chart at all.
    George, WBLS still plays "Let Yourself Go" on their Saturday Night Dance Party show. They also use to play Mary Wilson's "U" back when Frankie Crocker came back to the station and the song was new in the late 90s.

I mentioned in an earlier post , the clubs thoroughly embraced this album, devoting playtime to three cuts simultaneously , carrying them collectively to a top five position.

Besides LET YOURSELF GO , which was the obvious club-themed cut on the LP, popular too was YOU'RE MY DRIVING WHEEL and :

LOVE I NEVER KNEW YOU COULD FEEL SO GOOD

which is maybe , imo, the best of the three, it certainly nails the feel-good aspect strived for in a disco composition and that video so successfully captures that feel-goodness, glad it has survived on YouTube over the years.

For sure , the girls in the clubs never turned their backs on their Supremes and were loyal to them to the end.

It flatly refused to chart here in the UK too despite lots of promotion and airplay. He;s my man was all over the radio yet it could only graze the lower end of the top 100. It seemed like the public had quite simply fallen out of love with the Supremes. They appeared to have lost their identity. When Diana and Jean took the lead they were instantly recognisable , but by 1975 most people would have had no idea that was the Supremes on the radio.

Hi Marv. Didn’t you have a High Energy recording of both cindy and Scherrie? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Hi Marv. Didn’t you have a High Energy recording of both cindy and Scherrie? Thanks
    No I never had that. I have heard recordings of Cindy Birdsong singing "Till The Boat Sails Away" which was on the High Energy album with Mary Wilson doing the lead. I believe Cindy's was recorded AFTER she was no longer in the group and as a demo for a recording contract.

Maybe if there was a way to pre-order an album, that would help lock it into production and release. if they offered a pre-order status on 70s Sup L&F and had 2,000 people pre order and pay, then they'd have the confirmation prior to investing.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    Maybe if there was a way to pre-order an album, that would help lock it into production and release. if they offered a pre-order status on 70s Sup L&F and had 2,000 people pre order and pay, then they'd have the confirmation prior to investing.

That is a smart idea. Promotion of it through say social media would get the ball rolling fast.

I know it’s not the focus here, but since the track has been discussed [[vilified?!), I love “You’re My Driving Wheel.” BUT! Yes, its’ biggest problem is the dumb title and often weak lyrics. The Hollands [[as producers) may have thought the title and concept was different enough to catch people’s ears, but...clearly it wasn’t. IMO, the TRACK is great! Danceable and catchy with musical hooks galore. The lyrics stink. Instead of “You’re my driving wheel, you take me farther than I’ve been before...!” Perhaps they could’ve built on “HOW YOU MAKE ME FEEL, you take me farther...” it still could’ve been a sensuous and sexy song. We’re they thinking people would’ve been boogie-ing out to this on the dance floor while moving their hands like holding an imaginary car steering wheel [[like the girls did in their choreography)? Dumb. I think YMDW, with proper promotion and a change in lyrics, would’ve continued taking the Supremes higher than they’d been in years. Alas...

Oh! And as for “Let Yourself Go,” it’s not a favorite of mine. I don’t skip it if it plays, but I can understand why it sank without a trace. I think the lyrics are almost TOO simple [[and sometimes unintelligible, IMO) and the bpm is a tad high. The record was as though the Supremes were spinning out of control and about to explode. I guess in a way, they did. I think there were other songs on the MSS album that would’ve been better suited for single release.

i certainly don't hate Wheel. but i don't think it was the best choice to 1) follow up Walking and 2) be the lead single from the LP. it's a hot track though and i don't hate the lyrics. sure they're a bit simplistic and silly. but they're certainly better than baking bread wearing a dirty rag dress or the potential lethal effect of making homemade jam lololol

it was fascinating to hear the unedited version on the Scherrie Payne set. it might have helped to build the production at bit more. the track starts and barrels out the gate. maybe they could have had a little less for the first chorus and verse and then add in more. but overall i think the song is fun and great to dance to.

let yourself go IMO was the obvious choice for lead single. i like that they amped up the beat and track beyond Walking. some fans have clamored about released You're What's MIssing and i just find that song too blah. it just doesn't make me want to jump up and dance. Walking was just so strong on the HE lp and just screams hit. given that song, i understand if they wanted to just move ahead with a new set of songs.

Quote Originally Posted by danman869 View Post
    I know it’s not the focus here, but since the track has been discussed [[vilified?!), I love “You’re My Driving Wheel.” BUT! Yes, its’ biggest problem is the dumb title and often weak lyrics. The Hollands [[as producers) may have thought the title and concept was different enough to catch people’s ears, but...clearly it wasn’t. IMO, the TRACK is great! Danceable and catchy with musical hooks galore. The lyrics stink. Instead of “You’re my driving wheel, you take me farther than I’ve been before...!” Perhaps they could’ve built on “HOW YOU MAKE ME FEEL, you take me farther...” it still could’ve been a sensuous and sexy song. We’re they thinking people would’ve been boogie-ing out to this on the dance floor while moving their hands like holding an imaginary car steering wheel [[like the girls did in their choreography)? Dumb. I think YMDW, with proper promotion and a change in lyrics, would’ve continued taking the Supremes higher than they’d been in years. Alas...

Oh! And as for “Let Yourself Go,” it’s not a favorite of mine. I don’t skip it if it plays, but I can understand why it sank without a trace. I think the lyrics are almost TOO simple [[and sometimes unintelligible, IMO) and the bpm is a tad high. The record was as though the Supremes were spinning out of control and about to explode. I guess in a way, they did. I think there were other songs on the MSS album that would’ve been better suited for single release.
    I call You're My Driving Wheel hardcore call and response! LOL! It's one of those rare songs where the background singers [[aka chanters) are leading the lead singer [[aka the caller).

By the time this album came out, I had no information on the Supremes.

When I saw the title, "Mary, Suzzzzie, and Sherrrrrie," I thought, "Wow, Cindy flew the coop, and who the hell are those other 2 gals? " I cannot be the only one with this reaction, and this led one to appropriately think the Supremes no longer existed. Thus, zero interest.
    Last edited by Circa 1824; 03-01-2019 at 02:12 PM.

with the success of Dianas last 2 dance hits and the new remix of The Boss, why not let Eric Kupper remix some Supremes songs to mark the 60th. i vote on Let Yourself Go and Your Wonderful Sweet Sweet Love,.or the entire MSS lp

^ i love that idea. although the Diana tracks were already well known and so there's familiarity there to help them rechart. But LYG could be amazing.