[REMOVE ADS]

the MOST incredible thing on radio is happening NOW!

We have a local radio station, a low-power FM station. Not the strongest signal, in fact, it's so fickle, if you're outside of its range, you literally have to be sure your car is pointed in the right direction to pick it up! It is truly a local affair with the programming being done by what I believe are people who went in and said they had an idea for a show and were given a slot. When those shows aren't on, there is automated music, and this is what is blowing my mind.

Liz Lands- Midnight Johnny
    Marvin Gaye- Wherever I Lay My Hat That's My Home
    The Originals- I'm Someone Who Cares
    Soupy Sales- Green Grow The Lilacs
    The Supremes- Run, Run, Run
    David Ruffin- I Pray Everyday You Won't Regret Loving Me
    The Temptations- Smooth Sailing From Now On
    Four Tops- Something About You
    Bob Kayli- Tie Me Tight
    Eddie Holland- Darling I Hum Our Song
    Brenda Holloway- Every Little Bit Hurts
    And Others

This station has included in its automation mix a LOT of Motown. Obscure Motown, B-sides Motown, 70's Motown. I'm thinking they loaded ALL of the Complete Motown Singles sets and then quite a few other things. So, slotted in between Jazz, Country, 80's, Dinah Shore, and anything else, listeners are getting a heavy dose of Motown that I've NEVER heard anywhere else. In fact, they're playing Motown things even I didn't know existed. Someone there obviously loves Motown and loves it like only an insane fan could. They have an online player which is great because now I can play it through my phone at work. Here is the link if anyone wants to check it out.

https://wrlr.fm/popup-player/

Now they're playing the Four Tops' You Keep Running Away! What is even better is that every song, including non-hits SOUND like hits with the station's compression. And you get to hear every last second of the fade out as there is no DJ talking over the songs' endings. I wrote them about how impressed and appreciative I was for what they're doing. If you can, check them out. WRLR 98.3 Round Lake IL.
    Last edited by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance; 02-18-2019 at 04:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    We have a local radio station, a low-power FM station. Not the strongest signal, in fact, it's so fickle, if you're outside of its range, you literally have to be sure your car is pointed in the right direction to pick it up! It is truly a local affair with the programming being done by what I believe are people who went in and said they had an idea for a show and were given a slot. When those shows aren't on, there is automated music, and this is what is blowing my mind.

Liz Lands- Midnight Johnny
    Marvin Gaye- Wherever I Lay My Hat That's My Home
    The Originals- I'm Someone Who Cares
    Soupy Sales- Green Grow The Lilacs
    The Supremes- Run, Run, Run
    David Ruffin- I Pray Everyday You Won't Regret Loving Me
    The Temptations- Smooth Sailing From Now On
    Four Tops- Something About You
    Bob Kayli- Tie Me Tight
    Eddie Holland- Darling I Hum Our Song
    Brenda Holloway- Every Little Bit Hurts
    And Others

This station has included in its automation mix a LOT of Motown. Obscure Motown, B-sides Motown, 70's Motown. I'm thinking they loaded ALL of the Complete Motown Singles sets and then quite a few other things. So, slotted in between Jazz, Country, 80's, Dinah Shore, and anything else, listeners are getting a heavy dose of Motown that I've NEVER heard anywhere else. In fact, they're playing Motown things even I didn't know existed. Someone there obviously loves Motown and loves it like only an insane fan could. They have an online player which is great because now I can play it through my phone at work. Here is the link if anyone wants to check it out.

https://wrlr.fm/popup-player/

Now they're playing the Four Tops' You Keep Running Away! What is even better is that every song, including non-hits SOUND like hits with the station's compression. And you get to hear every last second of the fade out as there is no DJ talking over the songs' endings. I wrote them about how impressed and appreciative I was for what they're doing. If you can, check them out. WRLR 98.3 Round Lake IL.
    thanks!! Just logged on and it's one of the Miracles fabulous sides, A Fork in The Road, but seems a slightly version to the one I'm familiar with. Followed by, possibly, the Moody Blues!

I wonder why you didn't tune in to my web based show , playing all the kind of stuff you allude to.
    Advertised weekly on here...virtually no response at all.

I am enjoying now... Thank you WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance. What city is this station out of?

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I am enjoying now... Thank you WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance. What city is this station out of?
    Round Lake Heights, Illinois. Glad you're getting to hear it too!

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    Round Lake Heights, Illinois. Glad you're getting to hear it too!
    Thank you again. Snakepit also had a great rare Soul oldies radio program.

Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    I wonder why you didn't tune in to my web based show , playing all the kind of stuff you allude to.
    Advertised weekly on here...virtually no response at all.
    The only reason why I'm bringing up the station is because it's extremely rare to hear these deep cuts, let alone Motown on any terrestrial station here. Also, the station is in a small town that I would never expect to hear this music. Because it is a local station, it's a pretty big deal to me because it means a lot of people are getting to discover this music who otherwise wouldn't even think to go looking for it.

I wish you luck in promoting this station.
    I ran a web based show for about 3 years playing rare Motown /60s/70s soul. I posted on here regularly but apart from a handful of posts [[ in 3 years) I got disheartened, particularly as this forum had people complaining of hearing the same old same old , of not hearing xyz etc .
    But nobody could be bothered to make the effort to listen to the stuff they complained nobody played.
    Go figure.
    Sadly the experience has put me off playing my music. I hope my enthusiasm returns.

snake, the only thing I would say is that, while your show was excellent in promoting something different to the "same old same old", I myself find it quite hard to listen to 1 hour's worth of music which I have never heard before, and by artists whom I have never heard of. [[mostly). This was the main reason why I didn't sometimes tune in, but I can't speak for others. Also, by the time I started listening, I think I could hear your heart wasn't in it any more.

I wish you luck in promoting this station.
    I ran a web based show for about 3 years playing rare Motown /60s/70s soul. I posted on here regularly but apart from a handful of posts [[ in 3 years) I got disheartened, particularly as this forum had people complaining of hearing the same old same old , of not hearing xyz etc .
    But nobody could be bothered to make the effort to listen to the stuff they complained nobody played.
    Go figure.
    Sadly the experience has put me off playing my music. I hope my enthusiasm returns.
    Snake you shouldn't let your enthusiasm die out. Only when you don't love it anymore. I'm going to put this out there and maybe it applies to others too, but generally, I don't listen to anything on the internet, and it can be the most incredible thing ever. I can't sit still long enough to really enjoy it and unfortunately, with taking care of a parent, the house, working, etc. I don't have time these days to sit in one place for very long to listen to a web show. I actually get irritated with myself, because even on YouTube, I can barely sit through even one song!

For me, I'm so old-school, radio or my CD player is still pretty much the way I listen to music and even then, that is ONLY when I'm in my car. In my job, I drive all day, so I'm listening there. My car and work vehicle do not pick up internet stations, so I'm limited there.

I've been doing videos on YouTube for years and sometimes I think, wow! I put a lot of effort to make sure the pics are clear, sharp and vibrant and the video is as good as possible and yet it doesn't seem to matter! But I saw something on tv recently where an artist said if you're doing something, do it because you love what you're doing, even if you only have one or two fans, do it for them. I like that thought because it's almost a relief to not constantly be concerned with how many likes or views I'm getting.

Don't know if that helps any, but you never know how much your show is doing for someone else out there. It may be the most EFFIN' thing they've ever heard and now their world of Motown has been expanded because of what you did.

Thanks for your comments guys.
    I was born in an era when music couldn't be accessed at the click of a button.
    We had to listen to the radio, often for hours in the hope we might hear a soul record.
    A show on internet can be played in the background as a radio was in my day. Now you can stop, go back or forward...return to it whenever you want.
    If we missed a track that was it...you might be lucky to hear it again.
    My generation worked at it believe me.
    I'd

Well, maybe you'll your heart back in it one day...or you'll find another frontier to move on to.