[REMOVE ADS]

For One Night in 1965, the Supremes Brought the Two Detroits Together

What a great article; thanks for finding! I, as a NY Times digital subscriber, hang my head at not seeing it before now.

Wow, interesting story!! Not a bad life having a dad with enough cash to have The Supremes at your debutante party!!!

I had a friend at around that the time whose older sister was planning her debut party. A promoter sent her a list of available acts which her brother found and showed me. I remember at the top of the list was Mary Wells who was asking $5,000. The Supremes came in next at $3,000, followed by Ike & Tina for less [[I don’t remember what they were asking), and others I can’t recall now. At the bottom was Rufus Thomas, and that’s who ultimately got the gig. I also remember reading in the Sunday-supplement magazine, Parade, that The Supremes would do a high school performance for something like $2,500. Sounds incredible today.

And there is more to this story in another thread. And, I believe. a picture of the girls
    at the event from another angle.

Here is the Soulful Detroit link to new thread.

https://soulfuldetroit.com/showthrea...ituted-for-Flo

And here is link to the followiup New York Times Story with thanks to member Clifton Miller

http://www.adampwhite.com/westgrandb...-grosse-pointe

If anyone is looking for a physical copy of this story, it can be found in today's [[3/3) edition of the NY Times. There aren't as many photos of the girls as there are in the digital version. The physical copy only has two.