[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I love Smokey, but I think it’s frankly rather insulting of him to call people who disagreed with the Jennifer Lopez selection “unintelligent” and “stupid” then he posts this. He’s right that Motown is for everybody and he has a right to defend her performance. But he does owe people an apology for insulting the Motown fan base’s intelligence because there were many who disagreed with the Grammys choosing her. He sees this as a race issue. I know some people had a problem because she wasn’t black. Others such as myself don’t care about the race of the performer but rather if they have the vocal and stylistic qualities to pull it off. I don’t think she was right artist for the genre. We all can agree to disagree but he’s not helping the situation especially with name calling.

He’s pushing this pretty hard

Getting publicity, going to the Wynne after Diana

All publicity is good? Otherwise it’s probably time to let this go

What surprises me most [[and in a good way) about the responses is that a surprising majority weren't upset over a race issue, but the fact that Motown trashed its own image for sophistication, polish and class. That amazes me that so many got the fact that this was one of the things that set Motown apart from everyone else.

In this day and age, I would have thought most would find that kind of attention and respect for class and dignity to be a corny, old-fashioned and outdated sort of thing. So in a very nice way, I like that the majority of the complaints were for the reason that JLo was shakin' it like a low class Hoochie Mama and not presenting herself with the class that Motown artists were known for.

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    What surprises me most [[and in a good way) about the responses is that a surprising majority weren't upset over a race issue, but the fact that Motown trashed its own image for sophistication, polish and class. That amazes me that so many got the fact that this was one of the things that set Motown apart from everyone else.

In this day and age, I would have thought most would find that kind of attention and respect for class and dignity to be a corny, old-fashioned and outdated sort of thing. So in a very nice way, I like that the majority of the complaints were for the reason that JLo was shakin' it like a low class Hoochie Mama and not presenting herself with the class that Motown artists were known for.
    Bingo! That’s exactly why people were upset.

Exactly and Smokey is out here looking like a fool.

He did something similar to this when the film "Dreamgirls" came out. Remember?

I remembered. And he really didn't have to either.

My how times have changed. As I recall, when Motown 25 was broadcast, Smokey sang a duet The Tracks of My Tears with Linda Ronstadt. I do not recall any disagreement at that time with him performing with Linda. I see no difference between then and now.

https://www.freep.com/story/entertai...on/2851724002/
    Last edited by woodward; 02-13-2019 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Add link.

Team Smokey. Defending a lady against nincompoops with nothing else to do with their time.

Smokey May be seeing the bigger picture but I think he enjoys the publicity and finds it beneficial

But he always stands up for Motown

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    My how times have changed. As I recall, when Motown 25 was broadcast, Smokey sang a duet The Tracks of My Tears with Linda Ronstadt. I do not recall any disagreement at that time with him performing with Linda. I see no difference between then and now.

https://www.freep.com/story/entertai...on/2851724002/
    Linda could sang though.

Smokey doesn't know what he's talking about. It was garbage pure and simple. He needs to stay around the other Motown legends and quit being around today's so called stars.

"Class turns the heads of kings and queens..." - Maxine Powell

How many people who liked JLo's performance think Maxine Powell would have approved it?

I'll give Smokey a little break because he was put on the spot. And I agree Motown was about music for everyone. But to be honest when they have the Latin Grammy's I don't see them allowing black performers to perform Latin songs [[or any other songs there). If I'm incorrect I apologize. They could not find anyone else to perform other than J-Lo? No disrespect. Just something to think about. And as we all know people gloss over what Motown artist went through. It's all good now because Motown's iconic impact. But let's not forget the artist being shot at, not being able to stay and eat in certain places, playing to segregated audiences, not being ale to perform in my places etc.

Only time a black artist did that was Patti LaBelle for Celia Cruz but they were friends...

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post

How many people who liked JLo's performance think Maxine Powell would have approved it?
    I know she wouldn't have.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Only time a black artist did that was Patti LaBelle for Celia Cruz but they were friends...
    Don't forget Natalie Cole as well, performing a song from her final album.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Don't forget Natalie Cole as well, performing a song from her final album.
    I meant performing a tribute to someone. But yeah Natalie performed her Spanish album on there.

Exactly and Smokey is out here looking like a fool.
    It was kind of surprising to hear him respond more like a street fighter than someone who's been in the public eye all these years, but in a way I get it. That response was an emotion-based, defensive, off-the-cuff reply. The kind you give when you're caught off guard.

That was the other thing about Motown's Artists Development division; they trained artists on how to deal with reporters and I'm sure blurting out a blanket condemnation of everyone being "stupid" who has a different opinion than his wasn't something they taught.

If Ms. Powell blew a fuse because of how the Contours were presenting themselves onstage in the early days, she would have been beating JLo all over the head with her tastefully commissioned pocketbook.

It was kind of surprising to hear him respond more like a street fighter than someone who's been in the public eye all these years, but in a way I get it. That response was an emotion-based, defensive, off-the-cuff reply. The kind you give when you're caught off guard.

That was the other thing about Motown's Artists Development division; they trained artists on how to deal with reporters and I'm sure blurting out a blanket condemnation of everyone being "stupid" who has a different opinion than his wasn't something they taught.
    Nah that definitely wasn't what Powell taught them. Shows sometimes you can take someone out of Detroit but you can't take the Detroit out of them lol

Happens to the best of us. I get he's angry but yeah... not the right move.

This right here. For me, the issue was never about "race"; Puerto Ricans are a part of the African diaspora, after all, so those with an issue about the performer not being of African descent have no leg to stand on where that's concerned, IMHO. JLo treated this like a Tina Turner tribute, and therein lies the problem. Motown, at its best, was never about shaking like jelly all over the place. They were a paragon of what we in the African-American community know as "respectability politics," for better or worse. Therefore, Lopez missed the mark.

If Ms. Powell blew a fuse because of how the Contours were presenting themselves onstage in the early days, she would have been beating JLo all over the head with her tastefully commissioned pocketbook.
    Shoot, if she did that to Jennifer, I can't imagine what she would've done with Ole Smoke!

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    This right here. For me, the issue was never about "race"; Puerto Ricans are a part of the African diaspora, after all, so those with an issue about the performer not being of African descent have no leg to stand on where that's concerned, IMHO. JLo treated this like a Tina Turner tribute, and therein lies the problem. Motown, at its best, was never about shaking like jelly all over the place. They were a paragon of what we in the African-American community know as "respectability politics," for better or worse. Therefore, Lopez missed the mark.
    Funny you say that because Brenda Holloway used to say that Smokey and Berry used to say that she moved around and dressed too much like Tina Turner...

Not to me it wasn't! It did not surprise me at all that Smokey would respond the way that he did [[I can promise you he was cursing about it in private. LOL!). Smokey and them are from the HOOD! He is now more like the old man sitting on his porch in the hood and getting at someone that is on his grass! You just got a small glimpse of what some of these people are REALLY like! LOL! Artist Development trained them out to act in regards to show business, their life experiences taught them how to act in everyday situations. You remember how Diana Ross jumped on that airport security lady? That is just one small example that many would have heard about. Not picking on her.

Smokey, like Gladys and many others of their age group cannot be told what to do! They no longer have the patience to "discuss things" with people. You also will have a hard time changing their minds about something once it is made up. Facts!
    Last edited by marv2; 02-13-2019 at 06:41 PM.

She would not have liked it. She would have covered her eyes. She would fan herself in disbelief.

Funny you say that because Brenda Holloway used to say that Smokey and Berry used to say that she moved around and dressed too much like Tina Turner...
    See what I'm saying? Motown was very much the keep-your-skirt-down-and-you'll-be-taken-seriously-by-Middle-America company.

Ahhh, I was just about to mention that one special time!

Nah that definitely wasn't what Powell taught them. Shows sometimes you can take someone out of Detroit but you can't take the Detroit out of them lol

Happens to the best of us. I get he's angry but yeah... not the right move.
    That is exactly right. If you knew how some of your favorites talked and acted in private, you'd wouldn't believe it. How does the saying go? "If you want to enjoy the show, then don't go backstage to see what they have to go threw to get ready.........." LOL!

Right...Ms Powell and Mr Gordy would never allow or accept [[especially from his major star and mother of his daughter) any flesh in public, especially involving Motowns flagship female performer and Motown representative...Remember, Ms Powells influence goes back 50 years... Times have changed [[I'm not sure for the better), but those trying to criticize and dismiss the J-Lo performance based on her "attire" [[which she likely had little personal input in) were likely oogling Cardi b and would never criticize Tina Turner, Beyoncé, Janet Jackson, Madonna or any of the MANY other female entertainers they admire exhibiting flesh in their act as virtually ALL female dance oriented performances from those I just mentioned, to dancers like Juliet Prowse, Ann Miller, Joey Heatherton, Lola Falana, even the Rockettes ALL eventually expose legs and sexuality ...As Susaye logically stated...Berry Gordy tried for years to ultimately have his acts booked to perform in Vegas showrooms, and all of a sudden, a Vegas style flair in part of a Grammy segment and the "modest" world as we know it has been signaled to be coming to an end...As I've said...this is NOT about outfits, song selection, even J-Lo's voice [[which while not up to Gladys or Aretha standards perhaps) was quite adequate for the type of performance we're talking here...All the distraction and diversion aside...the real answer here can be explained in microcosm in the housing patterns over the past 50 years in and around Los Angeles or as Dennis Edwards and The Temptations put into song..."people moving out, people moving in, why all because of the color of their skin", and all one need do is look at the administration personnel in the Tom Bradley administration to the Antonio Villaragosa administration and the issues at play become blatantly clear ... and I appreciate Midnightman essentially admitting that, before unadmitting it...
    Last edited by StuBass1; 02-13-2019 at 07:42 PM.

It’s not about race. As I said earlier, Bruno Mars or Joss Stone would have been more fitting and neither are black. Even Adele would have been a good fit.

This was a high energy PRODUCTION act...Unfortunately, peoples displeasure has been attributed to [[just scroll through these threads and heaven forbid some of the Facebook posts out there) her attire, vocal quality, attitude, song selection, fools at Motown and NARAS, dancing, so on and so forth, while choosing to ignore the elephant in the room IMHO... Beyoncé wearing the exact same attire would have been lauded, [[and I'm sure would have been terrific had she been available) and of course the fact that we now know how the Jackson segment was a last minute dump they were fortunate to have J-Lo available to go from the Motown 60 show to the Grammy telecast with an already made and largely rehearsed act… Joss Stone could hardly WALK barefoot when she participated in a Janis Joplin tribute and Adele [[performing best the songs she writes herself) is hardly the physically appealing persona to be a good fit into that outfit, let alone keeping many viewers from turning on Seinfeld reruns...Like I said...Everybody is a producer and believes THEY should have been consulted to tell them how to do it "right"...We ALL have our ideas and all think we're producers and do a better job than the career professionals...Unfortunately, speaking of Seinfeld, it's like when George Costanza believed he was qualified to do stuff he was not qualified to do too...LOL...https://youtu.be/cQodEQGl2kA
    Last edited by StuBass1; 02-13-2019 at 08:35 PM.

Anyways...Topic played out...for me at least...so I hope everyone enjoys the Motown 60th Anniversary Special coming up in August...

Quote Originally Posted by StuBass1 View Post
    Right...Ms Powell and Mr Gordy would never allow or accept [[especially from his major star and mother of his daughter) any flesh in public, especially involving Motowns flagship female performer and Motown representative...Remember, Ms Powells influence goes back 50 years... Times have changed [[I'm not sure for the better), but those trying to criticize and dismiss the J-Lo performance based on her "attire" [[which she likely had little personal input in) were likely oogling Cardi b and would never criticize Tina Turner, Beyoncé, Janet Jackson, Madonna or any of the MANY other female entertainers they admire exhibiting flesh in their act as virtually ALL female dance oriented performances from those I just mentioned, to dancers like Juliet Prowse, Ann Miller, Joey Heatherton, Lola Falana, even the Rockettes ALL eventually expose legs and sexuality ...As Susaye logically stated...Berry Gordy tried for years to ultimately have his acts booked to perform in Vegas showrooms, and all of a sudden, a Vegas style flair in part of a Grammy segment and the "modest" world as we know it has been signaled to be coming to an end...As I've said...this is NOT about outfits, song selection, even J-Lo's voice [[which while not up to Gladys or Aretha standards perhaps) was quite adequate for the type of performance we're talking here...All the distraction and diversion aside...the real answer here can be explained in microcosm in the housing patterns over the past 50 years in and around Los Angeles or as Dennis Edwards and The Temptations put into song..."people moving out, people moving in, why all because of the color of their skin", and all one need do is look at the administration personnel in the Tom Bradley administration to the Antonio Villaragosa administration and the issues at play become blatantly clear ... and I appreciate Midnightman essentially admitting that, before unadmitting it...
    Stu, Juliet Prowse? I'm telling you man, you are starting to show your age! Who's next? Mitzi Gaynor? LOL!!!!

Diane looks quite evil in that pic.

It’s not about race. As I said earlier, Bruno Mars or Joss Stone would have been more fitting and neither are black. Even Adele would have been a good fit.
    I would have liked to have seen Jonelle Monae[[sp?), Donald Glover aka Childish Gambino, Anita Baker , El DeBarge and maybe Jennifer Hudson in that tribute.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Stu, Juliet Prowse? I'm telling you man, you are starting to show your age! Who's next? Mitzi Gaynor? LOL!!!!
    Exactly my point and thank you for making it. Mainstream dancers back in the [[modest) 50's wore that and more revealing attire...but in 2018, it's shocking that a [[Latina) performer would wardrobe that way. I suppose female singers for a Motown tribute should have their hemlines beneath the knee, and Childish Gambino would wear a tuxedo???... Plus...a guy who won song of the year with lyrics like Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah...Go go away...Yeah yeah yeah yeah Yeah yeah yeah yeah...go go away...[[repeat ad nauseum)...Don't catch ya slippin up X 4...More yeah yeahs...some gun shit, gotta strap, Yeah yeah yeah yeah...Im so dope, get your money black man [[black man) X4... No proper life for q dog...For a big dog......DEEP...I seriously doubt he's gonna feel the emotion of Tracks of My Tears or I've got sunshine on a cloudy day... LOL.
    Last edited by StuBass1; 02-13-2019 at 10:21 PM.

Exactly my point and thank you for making it. Mainstream dancers back in the [[modest) 50's wore that and more revealing attire...but in 2018, it's shocking that a [[Latina) performer would wardrobe that way. I suppose female singers for a Motown tribute should have their hemlines beneath the knee, and Childish Gambino would wear a tuxedo???... Plus...a guy who won song of the year with lyrics like Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah...Go go away...Yeah yeah yeah yeah Yeah yeah yeah yeah...go go away...[[repeat ad nauseum)...Don't catch ya slippin up X 4...More yeah yeahs...some gun shit, gotta strap, Yeah yeah yeah yeah...Im so dope, get your money black man [[black man) X4... No proper life for q dog...For a big dog......DEEP...I seriously doubt he's gonna feel the emotion of Tracks of My Tears or I've got sunshine on a cloudy day... LOL.
    But Donald Glover aka Childish Gambino is a very intelligent guy. I believe he has also produced some television programs.

Leon Bridges would've been a great addition.

Fred Sanford gets my vote Mr Gordy...Anybody who handles Bill Kenny so beautifully could knock off Motown stuff in a heartbeat...https://youtu.be/UQM8RbqSIcA

Fred Sanford gets my vote Mr Gordy...Anybody who handles Bill Kenny so beautifully could knock off Motown stuff in a heartbeat...https://youtu.be/UQM8RbqSIcA
    I remember watching that with my Dad back in the day. LOL!!!!

Speaking of the Inkspots. Ever hear The Inkspots sing Prince's "Purple Rain"?

Only problem here...The Ink Spots disbanded in the mid 50's. Purple Rain was written in the mid 80's. These are NOT the "actual" Ink Spots nor were any of these guys members...Name never trademarked...Imposters...

Only problem here...The Ink Spots disbanded in the mid 50's. Purple Rain was written in the mid 80's. These are NOT the "actual" Ink Spots nor were any of these guys members...Name never trademarked...Imposters...
    I think their legal name was "The New Inkspots". ET did a story on them at the time in 1989 and showed their new video of this song. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I think their legal name was "The New Inkspots". ET did a story on them at the time in 1989 and showed their new video of this song. LOL!
    There were over 100 imposter groups since the 50's that have used the name The Ink Spots in some variation...

Now i can't comment on the smokey-j-lo duet because i haven't watched a full grammy's show since the temps won in[1968]i just saw about the first ten minutes and clicked it off,but my complaint with him singing with[linda ronstat]wasn't her race[linda can sing]it was the fact that it was a motown reunion and the other[miracles were there.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Now i can't comment on the smokey-j-lo duet because i haven't watched a full grammy's show since the temps won in[1968]i just saw about the first ten minutes and clicked it off,but my complaint with him singing with[linda ronstat]wasn't her race[linda can sing]it was the fact that it was a motown reunion and the other[miracles were there.
    I think that is the main problem most people who were around during the Motown era have. The artists are neglected and not honored during these celebrations. Every year we have fewer and fewer still with us.

Didn’t Mrs Powell say”Never let the buttocks protrude!” Then JLO would be out of a job!

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Didn’t Mrs Powell say”Never let the buttocks protrude!” Then JLO would be out of a job!
    I remember a story where Kim Weston was wearing a "form fitting" dress and some laughed because she was too curvy..........LOL!