[REMOVE ADS]

Mary Wilson - "Stoned Love" from Today!

Mary Wilson singing earlier today at the Newbury Opera House.......Stoned Love!

Go Mary! Nice to see she's dug this one out again and added it back into the show.

Sung it like the original. Just a pitch lower.

Nice but Jean owns it!

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    Nice but Jean owns it!
    Yeah but Jean can't sing it this nice today........LOL!

Be nice, Marvin.

Was she texting in the beginning? She seems to be fiddling with something on the stand.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Yeah but Jean can't sing it this nice today........LOL!
    If I'm being truthful, neither can Mary but I was trying to be nice - lol!

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    Was she texting in the beginning? She seems to be fiddling with something on the stand.
    I think she was reading or checking the lyrics.

this is a very "off" performance....I've seen MW do this song live splendidly many times when it was a regular part of her show, and it was great. the only other 70's tracks I've heard her perform live were Bad Weather and River Deep Mountain High...both were hit and miss...In Europe where the 70's Supremes had top 10 chart placings, she often includes Floy Joy and Nathan Jones and does them well. I would rather she drop Dr. Dr. and Brown Sugar as well as YCHL and BIMAA and do a better job of representing the 70's Supremes material....and Red Hot / A Song For You-How Lucky? were always showstoppers live. Even having a mediocre opinion on the LP track Red Hot, have to say when she performed it live the structure/arrangement were much closer to the 12" mix...and it BURNED!

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    Reading lyrics off the sheet, I think. It had been years since she performed it.

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    If I'm being truthful, neither can Mary but I was trying to be nice - lol!
    The only positive thing i can say about this unprofessional mess of a performance is that it is not quite as bad as her awful attempts at covering 60's Supremes songs.

Mary doesn't look very happy here. It's like she is just going through the motions.
    Her voice kind of reminds me of singer Peggy Lee, breathy and smoky. It would be interesting to hear her sing "Black Coffee"..... "Stoned Love........not so sure!!.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Mary doesn't look very happy here. It's like she is just going through the motions.
    Her voice kind of reminds me of singer Peggy Lee, breathy and smoky. It would be interesting to hear her sing "Black Coffee"..... "Stoned Love........not so sure!!.
    She does look and sound very disinterested. Surely she could have learned the lyrics before hand? This kind of shoddy performance does nothing for her reputation, such as it is. I cringe when she butchers Supremes songs. She should stick to material she is comfortable with, and more importantly material that is compatable with her voice.

This wasn’t a bad performance. But it seems like she’s Having an off night . But it was still nice

Mary sounds and looks great here. She is one of the few of the Classic Motown artists that still has her voice and looks. Still very glamourous too.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Mary sounds and looks great here. She is one of the few of the Classic Motown artists that still has her voice and looks. Still very glamourous too.
    I've seen Mary many times over the years, and I agree with you Marv, she still has her voice and looks. She usually gives a superb performance and I always look forward to seeing her. I don't agree that she was looking at the lyrics - she knows this song so well. We may attempt to come up with what she was doing - and whilst it may appear as if she was texting, I suspect it was more to do with letting the technicians know something. Although I think Mary does give good value for money, this wasn't her very finest performance.

I have no idea why so many people dismiss Mary - she may not have had hit singles as a solo artist, at least she sings and performs. and her shows usually sell out.

Is she healthy? She really seems to be distracted and straining; does she need to refer to lyrics as well? Maybe the combination of aging and performing 'from hunger' have worn her out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I seldom view Wilson videos but since Diana's Grammy triumph I'm all about Diana Ross & the Supremes again! The few times I view Wilson vids of recent performances she does indeed seem distracted and, sadly, unhappy to be performing. I wish her well and hope she can afford to retire soon if that's what would make her happy.