[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    No you're not in the minority! I watched it. It was awful just as I expected. JLO sucked as I expected. I didn't understand any of it, especially the song selection. It looked like a Las Vegas commercial to me. The dancers were pretty bad too. Good pyrotechnics though.
    I skipped it, but I knew it was gonna be awful.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    Stu, it's not just purists. It's everyday people. It's Millennials, Gen X, etc. The Grammys should have picked a better person/people to do it. Leon Bridges, Raphael Saadiq, Dionne Bromfield, Jill Scott are all contemporary successors of Motown. They would have been perfect choices to be included. To put the whole thing on Jennifer Lopez is at the fault of the Grammys. Motown deserved better.
    Right. I'm 34 years old, that mess didn't fly with me either.

Actually, I had and seen many communications with folks actually AFFILIATED with Motown and not a negative reaction in the group...It's the Motown fanfolks who seem to have the problem with J-Lo's performance. Find me one person actually connected with Motown who had a problem with it because of at least a dozen folks with Motown credentials I've connected with...not a bad word...That said...everyone, for whatever their motives, reasons or justifications are entitled to express their opinions...
    Last edited by StuBass1; 02-11-2019 at 03:34 AM.

Look, Stu, you can't expect everyone to go along with everything. If we did that, we wouldn't be human.

This is from Billboard. They listed the tribute as one of the worst moments of the show.

Motown Salute

A tribute to Motown’s 60th anniversary should’ve been a homerun. But with Jennifer Lopez presiding over it, it was an oddity for the ages. J.Lo -- as demonstrated during her Motown medley -- is an astonishingly adept dancer, a superb entertainer and a great vocalist. But in no world is she the best artist to fete Motown. And in no universe is she the SOLE artist to fete Motown in an awards show tribute. This was a head-scratcher for the ages.

The New York Post wasn’t kind either.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it one last time. It’s not just the Motown fans unhappy with it. The general public didn’t like it. Go to Twitter to look at the tweets. Motown deserved so much better.

My two cents worth. I have not enjoyed the Grammy shows in past years, however, this one pretty much kept my attention. Except for a few,[[and Cardi B, I'm referring to you) , the performance did not rely on acrobatics, women on the floor with their legs humping up in the air or circus acts to get the music across. I have a respect for J Lo's talent, HOWEVER, although her singing [[pre-recorded or not) was great, I still have a problem with the booty shaking during the Motown segment. Growing up, not only did I love the Motown music, but I also had a great admiration for how classy the majority of their performers were. As grandma would say, "to be sure" the talent department at the Grammy Awards show could have found other artists whose performance styles would reflect the dignity of the Motown artists and company. I do like that songs were selected that , while hits in their day, are not revisited as much as the same songs of the past we constantly hear. No Supremes songs? Well, there were no Four Tops songs either.

As I previously stated, not much legitimate protest over the actual performance...only some folks, many of the same folks who have been criticizing the selection all week upset that a "traditional" [[ to put it mildly) performer was not tabbed for the segment [[ or more importantly a Latina was) reflects what I'm seeing on social media... Lady Gaga for example, while still unacceptable to some diehards, would have been much more acceptable to many of those who have been protesting the selection of Lopez and would have elicited little of the upheaval we've seen on some of those social media sites... It's political and really unearths long held, but recently swept under the rug divisions among certain groups of Americans who come together on some common issues, but still exist in a culture of distrust and conflict in others. We are living in hyperpolitical times and something as generally insignificant of a Grammy segment can bring the daggers out quite easily, like it or not...It's a complex issue better not put under a microscope here, but it's quite obvious...and you can take that to the bank, cash the check, and spend the money...
    Last edited by StuBass1; 02-11-2019 at 01:08 PM.

Um, with social media, we live in hyper whiny times too; opinions are fast to be expressed, easy to flip off.

I still like this as a performance - although I think the background was a bit glitzy, Vegasy; but she would have helped keep people watching.

And the Detroit Free Press gave her a thumbs up.

One's trash is another's treasure. Mmkay?

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    One's trash is another's treasure. Mmkay?
    Exactly and in the end, what does it matter? As long as the whole show wasn’t a ratings disaster

I gather awards shows are in a bit of decline

I think it’s great that there was such a splash for Diana Ross Motown and Aretha Franklin

I truly agree and maybe we've missed the big picture. Heritage artists, if you will, often time are forgotten, or are only remembered once they pass. That Diana was celebrated in prime time with the current hit makers is pretty spectacular. That Dionne, Smokey, Valerie were invited shows they're not forgotten.

Here Jennifer Lopez is trying to defend her performance in the Motown Tribute:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/gram...D=ansmsnnews11

Yes there is a lot of public reaction. Can you imagine Mrs Powell’s reaction to Jennifer shaking it ina sequined bathing suit? Gimme a break. Motown deserves so much better.

Childish Gambino not showing up to receive his Grammy...How..."Childish"...

Here Jennifer Lopez is trying to defend her performance in the Motown Tribute:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/gram...D=ansmsnnews11
    No need to "defend"...She was terrific...

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Yes there is a lot of public reaction. Can you imagine Mrs Powell’s reaction to Jennifer shaking it ina sequined bathing suit? Gimme a break. Motown deserves so much better.
    But Ms Powell would not be horrified with Grammys awarded to people using lyrics like THIS???
    Last edited by StuBass1; 02-11-2019 at 03:24 PM.

It was just not respectful to the music or legacy of Motown Records. JLO is like 50 years old this year , so she's really past the "sell by date" to be shaking in a a bathing suit on television. LOL!!!

It was just not respectful to the music or legacy of Motown Records. JLO is like 50 years old this year , so she's really past the "sell by date" to be shaking in a a bathing suit on television. LOL!!!
    LOL... I thought she looked terrific...So does A-Rod is suspect... They could have gotten Dionne Warwick to stand there and sing Motown songs as folks hit their remotes to Seinfeld reruns...

Quote Originally Posted by StuBass1 View Post
    Childish Gambino not showing up to receive his Grammy...How..."Childish"...
    I was happy he won with "This Is America", probably the only song I'll remember from last year.

LOL... I thought she looked terrific...So does A-Rod is suspect... They could have gotten Dionne Warwick to stand there and sing Motown songs as folks hit their remotes to Seinfeld reruns...
    She lives out here on Long Island in Brookville. I've seen her before way back when she was with Puffy and then years later on LI after having kids. Just not the same LOL!!!!

Not really because Motown is the music of my, yours, ours and my parents generation. As Al Abrams put it "The Sound of Young America".......in the 1960s. Sooooo...... those young Americans are now senior citizens and more than likely once fans of Dionne Warwick's music. That tribute was not for Millenials, Gen XYZ or whatever.

Not really because Motown is the music of my, yours, ours and my parents generation. As Al Abrams put it "The Sound of Young America".......in the 1960s. Sooooo...... those young Americans are now senior citizens and more than likely once fans of Dionne Warwick's music. That tribute was not for Millenials, Gen XYZ or whatever.
    Agree...but others on this very thread are saying that they are Millenials and the tribute should have been geared toward them and current popular culture...Others say it should have been some 80 year old singing Motown oldies while hanging onto their walkers... Should Motown die with it's artists, or should the genre be passed along to others from ALL ages, genres, races, and ethnicities, which is partially what was intended with this tribute... As I said...there are some deep seeded societal issues at play here... Those here in SoCal would understand...Look at the makeup of Watts, Compton, South Central 50 years ago and today and see what changes occurred. The issues become clear and once common enemies [[for the sake of electoral and political convenience) disappear, the widely understood conflicts begin to emerge... As I said...Lady Gaga doing that same segment would have elicited a mere fraction of the vitriol we are seeing today...
    Last edited by StuBass1; 02-11-2019 at 03:53 PM.

What you're not getting, Stu, is that J-Lo herself is not a millennial favorite, or at least with THIS generation. Like I said, when's the last time she had a hit? They could've easily gotten Solange for that! EASY. I wouldn't mind her doing Square Biz! J-Lo at 50 doing what she was famous for in 2001 is not how you celebrate Motown. LMAO

What you're not getting, Stu, is that J-Lo herself is not a millennial favorite, or at least with THIS generation. Like I said, when's the last time she had a hit? They could've easily gotten Solange for that! EASY. I wouldn't mind her doing Square Biz! J-Lo at 50 doing what she was famous for in 2001 is not how you celebrate Motown. LMAO
    You are making the point I just made above. You are suggesting the segment should have been done by someone who "relates" to millennials, and Marv is stating that Motown was from "yours, mine, and our parents generation" and J-Lo is still much better known and in the public spotlight to the wider public at large than Solange or Kelly Rowland [[not the main Destinys Child star) or most others I've heard mentioned and is more multi talented based on her dancing ability which is the kind of segment NARAS was looking for... Was never going to please everyone, but I still maintain that the main issue is more political and personal than artistic... although of the thousands of songs recorded at Motown by dozens of artists and groups...some folks are even bitching on social media sites that a certain song or group wasn't included in a 10 minute segment...everybody's a freaking critic/producer...Just my take. Those looking for more Motown "purity" should watch the upcoming Motown Grammy 60th anniversary special slated for telecast in April... As opposed to a brief segment, it will be able to include artists from across a wide spectrum...and people are even starting to bitch about THAT show, even before it has been taped about who is or isn't included... Reminds me of what I was told in private when I was doing the Funk Brothers Hollywood Star that specifically "Motown" events often result in conflicts, outside issues, and problems with the people involved, although I won't get specific here, and I rode that ceremony hard and really had to iron fist it despite some folks trying to mess it up, thus my Funk Brothers event came off without a hitch, although not always the case... Anyways...time to move on...Grammy's 2019 is over. Did think that Alicia Keyes did a very good upbeat job...
    Last edited by StuBass1; 02-11-2019 at 06:14 PM.

It’s 2019, social media, everyone has an opinion and lots of people just plain want to bitch and whine because they feel better attacking others and not being positive

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    It’s 2019, social media, everyone has an opinion and lots of people just plain want to bitch and whine because they feel better attacking others and not being positive
    I agree... Wasn't it Jack Ashford who stated [[ I was there to hear it with my very ears and see it with my very eyes), Motown didn't make records for white people. Motown didn't make records for black people. Motown made records for everyone on the planet...

Why are people haters who revere Motown and have a different opinion about the show. I don’t get it. Sherri Sheppard hosting Wendy Williams today not pleased with Motown tribute and audience agreed with her. She felt at least Gladys and Diana should have sung in the tribute. I agree. It’s hard to believe sometimes this is a Motown forum when people who love Motown have an opinion for more Motowners and soul artists to sing their music and get blasted. [[As an aside I just can’t picture Mary or Martha or Diana or Gladys when they were younger dancing around in sequined tutus. They are classy ladies and Diana has spoken out against “ bumping and grinding etc)

Why are people haters who revere Motown and have a different opinion about the show. I don’t get it. Sherri Sheppard hosting Wendy Williams today not pleased with Motown tribute and audience agreed with her. She felt at least Gladys and Diana should have sung in the tribute. I agree. It’s hard to believe sometimes this is a Motown forum when people who love Motown have an opinion for more Motowners and soul artists to sing their music and get blasted. [[As an aside I just can’t picture Mary or Martha or Diana or Gladys when they were younger dancing around in sequined tutus. They are classy ladies and Diana has spoken out against “ bumping and grinding etc)
    I can assure you that had Beyoncé done this segment dressed like J-Lo [[who was dressed as dancers tend to dress) there would be none of this outrage. They don't usually do their routine dressed as Moms Mabley… and Joey Heatherton wore much more revealing outfits on television in the 60's... The outrage is about the changing demographics of Watts, South Central, and Compton over the past 5 decades...
    Last edited by StuBass1; 02-11-2019 at 10:13 PM.

Yeah but this is not about Beyonce. This is about talent and how one shows out. If Beyonce had done the Motown tribute, I wouldn't have had a problem with it because she has a voice capable of it. The woman who was chosen for the tribute wasn't and isn't capable. That's all we're saying. It also has nothing to do with race: had Adele or even Joss Stone or someone of that caliber was called to do it, I would think they would do it justice. Joan Osborne did a great job when she performed with the Funks.

So it's not because we have anything against her, we don't. We just do not think she was the artist to do it.

But apparently that means we're "outraged". Not the case, man. I promise you.

Diana wouldn’t have liked Beyoncé dancing in a tutu either to a Motown music tribute according to what she’s said in the past. If Gladys had sung should she have worn hot pants?
    Last edited by luke; 02-11-2019 at 10:27 PM.

Exactly Midnightman

I was very entertained by JLo's tribute; in the same way I enjoyed "Motown The Musical" - - for the spectacle. I thought it was nicely choreographed and she looked wonderful -- and I thought it was very tasteful. Why wouldn't she do a booty-shaking Latin dance to "Another Star"? That's what Stevie made it for. It was completely appropriate! Motown's legacy includes Marvin Gaye and Rick James so it wasn't all bible study all the time. I also appreciate that the Grammys got a genuine "star" to pay tribute to Motown. There are many [[many!) better singers but few stars in JLo's orbit.

I feel sorry that JLo clearly invested her time and energy to be at her dazzling best and yet it invited so much negativity. Clearly she is NOT a singer but it didn't take 25 years to figure that out.

I just found out J. Lo's tribute was produced by the people who help her Vegas show. So it was a calculating move to begin with.

I can assure you that had Beyoncé done this segment dressed like J-Lo [[who was dressed as dancers tend to dress) there would be none of this outrage. They don't usually do their routine dressed as Moms Mabley… and Joey Heatherton wore much more revealing outfits on television in the 60's... The outrage is about the changing demographics of Watts, South Central, and Compton over the past 5 decades...
    Moms Mabley? Joey Heatherton? Ok Stu, watch it! You know some Millenials may be reading this and they are going to go..."Who?" LOL!!!!

Does anyone think this is about race rather than the fact that JLO does not have the vocal skills to carry most Motown tunes?

I just found out J. Lo's tribute was produced by the people who help her Vegas show. So it was a calculating move to begin with.
    Ah HA! I said yesterday that it reminded me of a Las Vegas commercial. Makes sense now.

Diana wouldn’t have liked Beyoncé dancing in a tutu either to a Motown music tribute according to what she’s said in the past. If Gladys had sung should she have worn hot pants?
    I would not care to see a 74 year old woman wearing hot pants. LOL! I do get the point you are making. Motown was about class. That's why they had Artist Development.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    I was very entertained by JLo's tribute; in the same way I enjoyed "Motown The Musical" - - for the spectacle. I thought it was nicely choreographed and she looked wonderful -- and I thought it was very tasteful. Why wouldn't she do a booty-shaking Latin dance to "Another Star"? That's what Stevie made it for. It was completely appropriate! Motown's legacy includes Marvin Gaye and Rick James so it wasn't all bible study all the time. I also appreciate that the Grammys got a genuine "star" to pay tribute to Motown. There are many [[many!) better singers but few stars in JLo's orbit.

I feel sorry that JLo clearly invested her time and energy to be at her dazzling best and yet it invited so much negativity. Clearly she is NOT a singer but it didn't take 25 years to figure that out.
    Whether she knows it now or not, she has severely hurt her reputation and will most definitely loose a portion of her fan base after this. She still has years left in her career if she wants that.

Yeah but this is not about Beyonce. This is about talent and how one shows out. If Beyonce had done the Motown tribute, I wouldn't have had a problem with it because she has a voice capable of it. The woman who was chosen for the tribute wasn't and isn't capable. That's all we're saying. It also has nothing to do with race: had Adele or even Joss Stone or someone of that caliber was called to do it, I would think they would do it justice. Joan Osborne did a great job when she performed with the Funks.

So it's not because we have anything against her, we don't. We just do not think she was the artist to do it.

But apparently that means we're "outraged". Not the case, man. I promise you.
    You're obviously not seeing some of the outright HYSTERIA some folks are expressing over this...a freaking Grammy segment. That's what's happening to our entire society today...EVERYBODY goes nuts about everything. Everyone is outraged about everything. remember...When EVERYTHING is an outrage...NOTHING is an outrage...

I would not care to see a 74 year old woman wearing hot pants. LOL! I do get the point you are making. Motown was about class. That's why they had Artist Development.
    Disagree...the haters now hated her then... I believe she enhanced her reputation...but she's worth over 300 million dollars, so if she gives a shit, she's more nuts than those going bonkers over this...

I can assure you that had Beyoncé done this segment dressed like J-Lo [[who was dressed as dancers tend to dress) there would be none of this outrage. ... The outrage is about the changing demographics of Watts, South Central, and Compton over the past 5 decades...
    That the best choice [[apparently) from all American singers possible these days to interpret Motown [[!) is a Latina speaks volumes and shouldn't be a surprise to anyone following current trends.

Just as it's equally telling that all the alternate choices mentioned here in this thread are female.

If I were a conspiracist I would say how telling it is that Lopez opened her sequence with DANCING IN THE STREET.

As for me , I don't believe for a second that J-Lo did the gig to represent Motown. No, she did it to represent herself as is evidenced in the way she presented the material. She and Adam Levine both seem to think [[correctly?) the highlight of their performances is when they invoke their sexuality by removing clothing to parade around while wearing less. I think she'd take the same gig if it were a Capital Records , a CBS Records, an RCA Records or any other record label's review. And perform it exactly this same way to boot.

That Smokey Robinson was stuck in there as some sort of Motown asterisk was the ultimate insult.

Never should have been Lopez period.

Here's what I would've done , were it my decision to make. It's a Grammy show honoring Motown . Why not incorporate the two , have Smokey stand there and introduce each Grammy winning Motown song from first to last and as it briefly plays, show accompanying footage of the artists either accepting their award or performing the song from back in the day of its popularity.

This is rough concept, I'm sure better minds could fine tune it. But it least it would have been respectful and purposeful to the task , beyond having a middle-aged woman prancing around on stage amongst smoke and flashing lights trying to show us how wonderful she [[rather than the music) is.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 02-12-2019 at 01:31 AM.

JLo's whole CAREER as a recording artist and performer is a calculated move. She is not a singer, musician or songwriter. She is a beautiful woman and competent dancer who has exceeded all expectations of who and what she could be as an entertainer.

Her career will only be helped by this. Her fans are fans of her image and celebrity not necessarily her music. Her fanbase certainly does not include Motown purists or music fans who support R&B/Soul artists.

She is Lola Falana not Aretha Franklin.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    That the best choice [[apparently) from all American singers possible these days to interpret Motown [[!) is a Latina speaks volumes and shouldn't be a surprise to anyone following current trends.

Just as it's equally telling that all the alternate choices mentioned here in this thread are female.

If I were a conspiracist I would say how telling it is that Lopez opened her sequence with DANCING IN THE STREET.

As for me , I don't believe for a second that J-Lo did the gig to represent Motown. No, she did it to represent herself as is evidenced in the way she presented the material. She and Adam Levine both seem to think [[correctly?) the highlight of their performances is when they invoke their sexuality by removing clothing to parade around while wearing less. I think she'd take the same gig if it were a Capital Records , a CBS Records, an RCA Records or any other record label's review. And perform it exactly this same way to boot.

That Smokey Robinson was stuck in there as some sort of Motown asterisk was the ultimate insult.

Never should have been Lopez period.

Here's what I would've done , were it my decision to make. It's a Grammy show honoring Motown . Why not incorporate the two , have Smokey stand there and introduce each Grammy winning Motown song from first to last and as it briefly plays, show accompanying footage of the artists either accepting their award or performing the song from back in the day of its popularity.

This is rough concept, I'm sure better minds could fine tune it. But it least it would have been respectful and purposeful to the task , beyond having a middle-aged woman prancing around on stage amongst smoke and flashing lights trying to show us how wonderful she [[rather than the music) is.
    Yet another aspiring "producer" heard from...LOL...No offense intended, but I'm ROTFLMAO...Do you think for a minute that J-Lo decided what to wear and how the performance would be structured, what songs to include and what dance moves she and the plethora of chorus dancers would perform, etc???...LOL... I was involved with NARAS on one of these Grammy segments, and trust me...they do it THEIR way with their own producers, choreographers, directors, costume designers, set designers, etc...Beyond perhaps consulting Berry Gordy and Smokey on the selection of talent for the segment...NARAS has their own people working for the months leading to the actual show on these Grammy segments...so I don't understand your point that somehow J-Lo planned, choreographed, or directed that segment???...No way...she may have had some input on certain elements once rehearsals started, but you're giving her WAY too much credit for the way the segment was presented...
    Last edited by StuBass1; 02-12-2019 at 01:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    JLo's whole CAREER as a recording artist and performer is a calculated move. She is not a singer, musician or songwriter. She is a beautiful woman and competent dancer who has exceeded all expectations of who and what she could be as an entertainer.

Her career will only be helped by this. Her fans are fans of her image and celebrity not necessarily her music. Her fanbase certainly does not include Motown purists or music fans who support R&B/Soul artists.

She is Lola Falana not Aretha Franklin.
    Good comparison...J-Jo to Lola...although J-Lo is a more accomplished actress than Lola...and a lot richer...

Yet another aspiring "producer" heard from...LOL...No offense intended, but I'm ROTFLMAO...Do you think for a minute that J-Lo decided what to wear and how the performance would be structured, what songs to include and what dance moves she and the plethora of chorus dancers would perform, etc???...LOL... I was involved with NARAS on one of these Grammy segments, and trust me...they do it THEIR way with their own producers, choreographers, directors, costume designers,etc...Beyond perhaps consulting Berry Gordy and Smokey on the selection of talent for the segment...NARAS has their own people working for the months leading to the actual show on these Grammy segments...so I don't understand your point that somehow J-Lo planned, choreographed, or directed that segment???...No way...she may have had some input on certain elements once rehearsals started, but you're giving her WAY too much credit for the way the segment was presented...
    Stu , I think you are making my point, the Motown music was being used simply as a vehicle to present J-Lo , not the other way around , which should have been the essence of the project.

And no offense, I know nothing about NARAS but they sound like awful people to dress a fifty year old woman in bedroom costumes and force her to parade around a stage like that.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 02-12-2019 at 02:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    Stu , I think you are making my point, the Motown music was being used simply as a vehicle to present J-Lo , not the other way around , which should have been then essence of the project.
    That's on NARAS...It was a Grammy show...not a Motown show, although with the Diana Ross segment, a lot of Motown representation was involved, and they did promo the upcoming Motown Special quite a bit during the telecast...Don't forget...they have an entire Motown special coming up...taping tomorrow night for an April telecast...I believe they selected J-Lo because they believed she would be a good fit and of course, bring in viewers they want... Ratings were about the same as last year, nothing great but not horrible... I also assume that they did not want to overexpose the artists included in the Motown special they are doing... I can divulge now [[that I'd not given the details for before this) that they planned a segment to honor The Funk Brothers in 2005 after I did the nomination for their Lifetime Achievement Award in 2004. They proposed a segment with Stevie Wonder and Michael McDonald backed by the Funk Brothers...Why Michael McDonald???... That was NARAS decision. Michael agreed immediately, but Stevie ducked and dodged...actually running out the back door when some folks came to personally appeal to him to participate...NARAS don't mess around and didn't try to find a replacement for Stevie...They saw the segment a certain way and when Stevie refused to participate [[which was quite disappointing to me personally) and I learned of the details after it was too late...they ditched the segment and instead put in a Luther Vandross tribute [[Luther was ailing but had not yet passed at that time)… NARAS does things THEIR way... I did receive a nice note from Neil Portnow, but they don't beg anybody...they move on, which made me understand that much better why they ultimately told Ariana Grande to go pound sand when she insisted on doing things her way, claiming she could put a number together overnight. Sorry...they don't work like that Missy...
    Last edited by StuBass1; 02-12-2019 at 02:24 AM.

From Susaye on Facebook

The point to me about Motown was that it crossed races, genres, and overturned the status quo in the music industry. It was Berry Gordy’s dream to make Black music accessible to all people and to take the soul of Motown’s artists to the world. He made Black artists able to travel the world and spread their music and soulful class everywhere. We all know that the basis of most American music is black music. But the gift of Motown was that it changed the”Sound of Young America “ forever. Artists like Lulu, Dusty Springfield, and so many others would have never come about had it not been for Motown. We have not forgotten that Mary Wells and for that matter Diana Ross and the Supremes were chosen because of the accessibility of their voices to other races. So the fact that JLo, one of the biggest stars in the world [[whether she is one’s flavor or not) was overjoyed to do this tribute because it was her mother’s favorite music that she played for her as a youngster. Music [[ the emotional effects of it) belongs to us all, hopefully, and Motown music resonates to the world. That is why it was so successful. We each have our faves; we each have our jams and our tunes that “take us there.” I still get that chill at the beginning strains of the Temptations “Get Ready”, I still have to get up off my chair when “Dancing In The Street” comes on. I still get a thrill when those mighty handclaps start on “Where Did Our Love Go” and friends and family around the world tell me they get that feeling too, regardless of age or race or background. It was their childhood, or their teenagerey or their obsession or simple joy. So! JLo may have added her Latin flair to the mix, and Vegas spark, but Berry Gordy and Motown couldn’t wait to get his artists into those Vegas showrooms to make Motown mainstream. It’s mainstream now, so everyone gets a go. Love to all, Susaye

Very well said Susaye...I couldn't have said it better myself...

Does anyone think this is about race rather than the fact that JLO does not have the vocal skills to carry most Motown tunes?
    I saw many bring up the racial hurdles Motown had to climb to become a universally accepted industry and thought J Lo was "cheapening it" by adding salsa to ABC.