[REMOVE ADS]




Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 145

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1

    Smokey: Anyone upset about J-Lo participating in Motown Grammy tribute is "stupid"

    https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1094443662405029888

    Smokey? Really now? Lol

    Attached Images Attached Images  

  2. #2
    That means that there must be an awful lot of people that are not happy that JLO is being involved or he wouldn't have said anything.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    That means that there must be an awful lot of people that are not happy that JLO is being involved or he wouldn't have said anything.
    Surely you jest, Marvin.

  4. #4
    Looking at all of those comments, it looks like Uncle Smokey has taken a very unpopular stand. Go now Smokey and join Gladys Knight in the Time Out corner, hehehehehehehe!

  5. #5
    Suggestion...Don't like the segment, suggest you do what I would do...Don't watch...I haven't watched the Grammys in years...Now I just might...If anything, like Gladys anthem performance...I'm curious now...
    Last edited by StuBass1; 02-10-2019 at 02:33 AM.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by StuBass1 View Post
    Suggestion...Don't like the segment, suggest you do what I would do...Don't watch...I haven't watched the Grammys in years...Now I just might...If anything, like Gladys anthem performance...I'm curious now...
    Same here Stu. I stopped watching sometime around the late 90s. I was going to watch this year for the Motown Tribute, but then again I may not.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Same here Stu. I stopped watching sometime around the late 90s. I was going to watch this year for the Motown Tribute, but then again I may not.
    NARAS gotta be loving this since it's only gonna get more people to watch. I likely wouldn't, and depending on my plans for tomorrow, I might. Not hatin on J-Lo...She's a Puerto Rican who did a very credible job portraying a Mexican-American Tejano singer...so Motown should be a breeze... I'm sure she grew up on Motown...Smokeys cool with it...I'm cool with it...
    Last edited by StuBass1; 02-10-2019 at 03:39 AM.

  8. #8

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Same here Stu. I stopped watching sometime around the late 90s. I was going to watch this year for the Motown Tribute, but then again I may not.
    Oh come on we all know youll be glued to your TV watching the Diamond Diane Ross birthday performance at the Grammys. Youd never miss a chance to see your favorite former Supreme.

  9. #9
    Sometimes it’s best to say nothing

  10. #10
    STU! Have you actually heard her sing?!





    I mean everyone grew up on Motown and she did cover a Motown song but still, there are relevant artists who could've easily been in her place: Janelle Monae, Solange, etc. but they pick someone whose last real big hit was almost 10 years ago? Lol

  11. #11
    Actually, a reporter stuck a mic in Smokey's face following a pre-Grammy party and he responded, albeit a bit irritated...https://variety.com/2019/music/news/...id-1203134333/

  12. #12
    Probably racist as well. Some people complain if there's no cross-cultural appreciation and recognition, then complain more when there is. JLo will attract more viewers. Get over it.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Probably racist as well. Some people complain if there's no cross-cultural appreciation and recognition, then complain more when there is. JLo will attract more viewers. Get over it.
    My complaint wasn't her race actually lol

  14. #14
    well the Ross birthday celebration should be worth the price of admission

  15. #15
    I’m so tired of the “offended” era we live in. This J. lo thing is being blown way out of proportion. It is not that deep. Regarding Smokey, he was irritated because that reporter wouldn’t let it go when Smokey didn’t answer the question the way the reporter expected him to, so the reporter just kept asking- thinking he could get Smokey to be offended too. Don Lemon did the same thing with Gladys Knight, by trying to shame her for wanting to sing at the Super Bowl.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    i’m so tired of the “offended” era we live in. This j. Lo thing is being blown way out of proportion. It is not that deep. Regarding smokey, he was irritated because that reporter wouldn’t let it go when smokey didn’t answer the question the way the reporter expected him to, so the reporter just kept asking- thinking he could get smokey to be offended too. Don lemon did the same thing with gladys knight, by trying to shame her for wanting to sing at the super bowl.
    exactly...

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post

    You post the best gifs. I love them. Thanks! Fondly Roberta

  18. #18
    Now I think Smokey did a really good job - he told the guy politely to go “f” himself if he couldn’t find anything better to get bothered about

  19. #19
    J-Lo was njothing short of GREAT... Who else could have coordinated the singing with the dance moves???... One of the best Grammy segments ever...and her voice was in terrific form. Mic drop... Haters still gonna hate...

  20. #20
    She tore the roof off of that theater with that tribute and she did many hits other people would never have chosen for a Motown tribute like Teena Marie's "Square Biz". She just silenced all the haters.

  21. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveSupreme View Post
    She tore the roof off of that theater with that tribute and she did many hits other people would never have chosen for a Motown tribute like Teena Marie's "Square Biz". She just silenced all the haters.
    Absolutely...

  22. #22
    Was she singing though?

    And no Supremes song? Or Diana? It's not Motown with two of the top selling artists.

  23. #23
    I may be in the miniority but that tribute was a mess. We’re talking Motown. It should have a big sound yet the band didn’t sound full. J.Lo’s vocals were clearly pre-recorded. She was not singing live. She’s just not a fit with the material. That’s not to say she can’t sing or that she has talent, but her style isn’t what comes to mind when you think Motown and it didn’t gel. Smokey and Alicia singing “Tracks Of My Tears” coming back from commercial was better than the whole tribute.

    I would have rather seen Alicia Keys, Ne-Yo and Smokey do the tribute similar to what Alicia did earlier in the show by singing her favorite songs. Get an orchestra, remove the dancers, the theatrics, and just have those three sing. It would have been 100x better.
    Last edited by bradsupremes; 02-10-2019 at 11:58 PM.

  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    I may be in the miniority but that tribute was a mess. We’re talking Motown. It should have a big sound yet the band didn’t sound full. J.Lo’s vocals were clearly pre-recorded. She was not singing live. She’s just not a fit with the material. That’s not to say she can’t sing or that she has talent, but her style isn’t what comes to mind when you think Motown and it didn’t gel. Smokey and Alicia singing “Tracks Of My Tears” coming back from commercial was better than the whole tribute.

    I would have rather seen Alicia Keys, Ne-Yo and Smokey do the tribute similar to what Alicia did earlier in the show by singing her favorite songs. Get an orchestra, remove the dancers, the theatrics, and just have those three sing. It would have been 100x better.
    No you're not in the minority! I watched it. It was awful just as I expected. JLO sucked as I expected. I didn't understand any of it, especially the song selection. It looked like a Las Vegas commercial to me. The dancers were pretty bad too. Good pyrotechnics though.

  25. #25
    Rhonda on her phone though.....

  26. #26
    I guess you can't please all the people all the time and I imagine we'll find out that haters still gonna hate...I've been involved with NARAS and their show in past years and this was perhaps the best segment I've seen...J-Lo tore it up and Smokey was totally vindicated...EVERYBODY will have their say as to what song was left out or what group they believe should have been represented out of the dozens of Motown artists, but I thought the song selection was terrific spanning the entire timeframe of the Motown era...Her outstanding handling of the song and her magnificent dance moves kept the audience on the edge of their seats, although I'm sure some of the haters were hoping she'd fall off the piano...LOL
    Last edited by StuBass1; 02-11-2019 at 12:02 AM.

  27. #27
    Best segment? There have been better. Way better.

  28. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    Best segment? There have been better. Way better.
    I can only speak for the segments I've seen... I haven't watched much in recent years...Too much politics, although they were apparently warned to lay off this year since ratings for awards shows in general have been falling off due to all the politics...The Funk segment in 05 was good too...Diana did a very nice job and the opening segment featuring Ricky Martin and the legendary Arturo Sandoval is excellent too...

  29. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by StuBass1 View Post
    I can only speak for the segments I've seen... I haven't watched much in recent years...Too much politics, although they were apparently warned to lay off this year since ratings for awards shows in general have been falling off due to all the politics...The Funk segment in 05 was good too...Diana did a very nice job and the opening segment featuring Ricky Martin and the legendary Arturo Sandoval is excellent too...
    So far, with the exception of a few performances, I have really liked the entire show, which hasn't been the case for me in recent years. Everyone from Diana to ChloexHalle to J-Lo did well. Can't wait for the Aretha tribute.

  30. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    So far, with the exception of a few performances, I have really liked the entire show, which hasn't been the case for me in recent years. Everyone from Diana to ChloexHalle to J-Lo did well. Can't wait for the Aretha tribute.
    Those two girls that sang "Where Is The Love" acapella were really good.

  31. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by StuBass1 View Post
    I guess you can't please all the people all the time and I imagine we'll find out that haters still gonna hate...I've been involved with NARAS and their show in past years and this was perhaps the best segment I've seen...J-Lo tore it up and Smokey was totally vindicated...EVERYBODY will have their say as to what song was left out or what group they believe should have been represented out of the dozens of Motown artists, but I thought the song selection was terrific spanning the entire timeframe of the Motown era...Her outstanding handling of the song and her magnificent dance moves kept the audience on the edge of their seats, although I'm sure some of the haters were hoping she'd fall off the piano...LOL
    I'm sorry Stu. I did not like that, I did not like it!

  32. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I'm sorry Stu. I did not like that, I did not like it!
    You're certainly entitled...I thought it was terrific. What did Rickey Nelson say...You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself...The Motown contingent appeared to be quite pleased... Now for them, it's on to the 60th anniversary special scheduled for taping on Tuesday. I assume a lot of people will be displeased with that project too...Gotta go with what you go with...

  33. #33
    I thought it was very entertaining, really good

    They should have had Diana step out at the end for a capper

  34. #34
    Diana, Janelle and H.E.R. seemed to get the most praise tonight.

  35. #35
    I have not watched the Grammy shows in years...not that I've ever been a diligent watcher.

    I though J-Lo did a good job. What I did not like were the backing vocals; they sounded uninteresting to me.

  36. #36
    CHILD, LOOK AT WHAT TWITTER GOT ON HERE:

    https://twitter.com/blasianFMA/statu...06733707530240

    YOUR BOY HAD THAT STONE STARE LOOK!?!?! OMG! LMFAO!!!

  37. #37
    I thought J Lo did good. Kudos for her singing Square Biz.

  38. #38
    You should check out Twitter. People are ripping that Motown tribute. It was not well received. Even Motown Records own Twitter account had to tweet out about how the opinions of the performance shouldn't take away from fans remembering the artists and legacy of Motown.

  39. #39
    I'm convinced some of those ""purists" weren't gonna be happy unless they either saw some 80 year old artists trying to recreate their past glories holding on tight to their walkers, or other artists who looked a certain way standing there singing and boring the hell out of the audience... If they want to see a Motown Special...they Motown anniversary program will be broadcast in April...But everyone is entitled to their opinion...Like I said...I'm sure some people were disappointed that J-Lo didn't fall off that piano and broke her neck based on some of the outright hate and venom I've seen on some social media sites directed at Lopez, and even Smokey at this point...LOL
    Last edited by StuBass1; 02-11-2019 at 01:53 AM.

  40. #40
    Stu, it's not just purists. It's everyday people. It's Millennials, Gen X, etc. The Grammys should have picked a better person/people to do it. Leon Bridges, Raphael Saadiq, Dionne Bromfield, Jill Scott are all contemporary successors of Motown. They would have been perfect choices to be included. To put the whole thing on Jennifer Lopez is at the fault of the Grammys. Motown deserved better.

  41. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    Stu, it's not just purists. It's everyday people. It's Millennials, Gen X, etc. The Grammys should have picked a better person/people to do it. Leon Bridges, Raphael Saadiq, Dionne Bromfield, Jill Scott are all contemporary successors of Motown. They would have been perfect choices to be included. To put the whole thing on Jennifer Lopez is at the fault of the Grammys. Motown deserved better.
    Motown is fine with it and most fans I have seen thought it was terrific...EXCEPT a certain segment of those same folks who were bitching about this the entire week. There is a political element to this that I won't get into but the dynamics are deafening in their silence, and the issue is more Lopez ethnicity than anything else IMHO...Folks are becoming confused on this entire issue...Don't think that it was just NARAS that made this decision...I've worked with NARAS and I have little doubt that Berry and Smokey gave this their blessing and both are quite pleased as to how it worked out...Like I said...Once one leaves some of the more Motown oriented "purist" naysayers...virtually EVERYONE else thought the segment was outstanding from every other social media postings I've seen... Most millennials and Gen X'ers know little to nothing about Motown and would just as soon see Cardi b or Funky Foo do a Motown tribute...https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...wr66pd-PTDUOR6
    Last edited by StuBass1; 02-11-2019 at 02:37 AM.

  42. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by StuBass1 View Post
    Like I said...Once one leaves some of the more Motown oriented "purist" naysayers...virtually EVERYONE else thought the segment was outstanding from every other social media postings I've seen... Most millennials and Gen X'ers know little to nothing about Motown and would just as soon see Cardi b or Funky Foo do a Motown tribute...
    Seriously. Go to Twitter. Motown is trending. Click on it. Read the tweets. EVERYONE didn't think it was outstanding. The majority of tweets are in consensus was that it was major disappointment and Jennifer Lopez was a bad choice and these aren't Motown purists. These are everyday people. I know there are many in the black community who weren't happy a black artist/s weren't the main person doing it. I don't see it as a race issue. I just don't believe she wasn't vocally and stylistically right for the material and to do an entire tribute especially when there wasn't anything in that tribute that had the Motown vibe and feel to it. They could have gotten Joss Stone and it would have been more appropriate.

    You can go on believing everyone loved it except the Motown purists, but all you have to do is check out the tweets and comment sections. There is where the general public received it and it wasn't good.

  43. #43
    Joss Stone is a Blues style singer and cant dance a lick... Look at the pictures of all the J-Lo naysayers and tell me if you see anything in common? Like I said...It's about the same reaction as if Trump had done the segment...LOL

  44. #44
    I had no problem with J.Lo taking part, but wha bothered me was they gave her too much screen time. She should have done at most two songs and then let Smokey take over. They also could have had Valerie Simpson involved as well. She was in the building after all.

  45. #45
    Berry seemed overwhelmed with emotion by Diana and the Motown tribute

  46. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Berry seemed overwhelmed with emotion by Diana and the Motown tribute
    Yes...As an 89 year old able to reflect on your massive accomplishments, it's not surprising...

  47. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveSupreme View Post
    She tore the roof off of that theater with that tribute and she did many hits other people would never have chosen for a Motown tribute like Teena Marie's "Square Biz". She just silenced all the haters.
    You know she's a legendary lip syncher, right?

  48. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Berry seemed overwhelmed with emotion by Diana and the Motown tribute
    I can see it with Diana, Smokey and Ne-Yo.

  49. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    Seriously. Go to Twitter. Motown is trending. Click on it. Read the tweets. EVERYONE didn't think it was outstanding. The majority of tweets are in consensus was that it was major disappointment and Jennifer Lopez was a bad choice and these aren't Motown purists. These are everyday people. I know there are many in the black community who weren't happy a black artist/s weren't the main person doing it. I don't see it as a race issue. I just don't believe she wasn't vocally and stylistically right for the material and to do an entire tribute especially when there wasn't anything in that tribute that had the Motown vibe and feel to it. They could have gotten Joss Stone and it would have been more appropriate.

    You can go on believing everyone loved it except the Motown purists, but all you have to do is check out the tweets and comment sections. There is where the general public received it and it wasn't good.
    Then they wonder why the Motown heads left this forum. Wasn't just because of that group we won't name's drama...

  50. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by StuBass1 View Post
    Motown is fine with it and most fans I have seen thought it was terrific...EXCEPT a certain segment of those same folks who were bitching about this the entire week. There is a political element to this that I won't get into but the dynamics are deafening in their silence, and the issue is more Lopez ethnicity than anything else IMHO...Folks are becoming confused on this entire issue...Don't think that it was just NARAS that made this decision...I've worked with NARAS and I have little doubt that Berry and Smokey gave this their blessing and both are quite pleased as to how it worked out...Like I said...Once one leaves some of the more Motown oriented "purist" naysayers...virtually EVERYONE else thought the segment was outstanding from every other social media postings I've seen... Most millennials and Gen X'ers know little to nothing about Motown and would just as soon see Cardi b or Funky Foo do a Motown tribute...https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...wr66pd-PTDUOR6
    The "Motown" that responded wasn't the same Motown and you know that. I'm a millennial myself and we been know how J Lo was. Got away with saying the n word in a song too.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.