[REMOVE ADS]

Berry Gordy Files $10M Lawsuit Over Film That Shows Him Putting A Hit Out On N Bogart

According to RadarOnline, Berry Gordy is suing Timothy Bogart — the son of late music exec Neil Bogart — Hero Entertainment and Universal City Entertainment Group over a 2023 film called Spinning Gold.

Gordy says that Spinning Gold was produced by Timothy Bogart and focuses on his father Neil Bogart’s record label Casablanca Records. According to the record exec, Timothy has said this about the film

“Every bit of it is true, even the parts that aren’t.”

I wanted to see this but the reviews were not great. But now that it is available on streaming, I think I'll watch it during the re-run season and writer's strike.

https://thejasminebrand.com/2023/06/...on-rival-exec/

I went to see it when it was released. I wasn't impressed. I'm sure they took a bit of dramatic licence with many of the portrayals.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I went to see it when it was released. I wasn't impressed. I'm sure they took a bit of dramatic licence with many of the portrayals.
    I saw Spinning Gold when it came out back in April. And I remember the scene where Bogart [and his associates] were being 'shaken down' by Motown Records. Berry Gordy has a right to sue the filmakers over this since it's an attempt to tarnish his reputation. We'll see what happens with this as it gets to the courts.

why would Motown & Berry Gordy care about Casablanca?

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    why would Motown & Berry Gordy care about Casablanca?
    I feel the scenes where Berry Gordy is ordering a "hit" on Casablaca's Neil Bogart was dramatic license on the part of the film makers of Spinning Gold to 'juice up' their story. And while this kind of thing that's done to make "bio-pics" like this one more compelling, it looks like they've made a Big Mistake in smearing Berry's reputation.

We all know Mr Gordy is very protective of his image, as long as it suits him he never minded the rumors about his maffia connections....

Ooooooh shite, I hope there wasn't anything in the film about Marvin Gaye, lol.