[REMOVE ADS]

Huff Post: Knight's "Powerful Rendition" of National Anthem "Brought Down The House"

I'm seeing nothing but rave reviews regarding Gladys' Superbowl performance . She served her Motown alumni well with her moving rendition.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b00187b550dd9f

Bonus Q:
    Speaking of Motown alumni , who was the last one from that elite group of talent to perform The Star Spangled Banner at the Superbowl??
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 02-07-2019 at 03:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post

Speaking of Motown alumni , who was the last one from that elite group of talent to perform The Star Spangled Banner at the Superbowl??
    Diana Ross in 1982.

I'm seeing nothing but rave reviews regarding Gladys' Superbowl performance . She served her Motown alumni well with her moving rendition.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b00187b550dd9f

Bonus Q:
    She did do a great job. She sang with as much power as someone half her age.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    She did do a great job. She sang with as much power as someone half her age.
    Right? I was concerned that maybe her pipes wouldn't be able to quite deliver and she'd get flack around that . But no , Gladys was strong and solid. Besides the "power" in her performance , was the sense of her conviction. She was singing the national anthem from the right place.

Is Gladys now the oldest to have performed at the Superbowl in any musical capacity?

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Diana Ross in 1982.
    Yep. Diana Ross sang it in her hometown of Detroit, and Gladys Knight from her hometown of Atlanta .

Right? I was concerned that maybe her pipes wouldn't be able to quite deliver and she'd get flack around that . But no , Gladys was strong and solid. Besides the "power" in her performance , was the sense of her conviction. She was singing the national anthem from the right place.

Is Gladys now the oldest to have performed at the Superbowl in any musical capacity?
    George Burns did one of the halftime shows when he was around 90.

George Burns did one of the halftime shows when he was around 90.
    Ha ! Really! Can't imagine . And we thought the Maroon 5 half-time was.....

Diana Ross in 1982.
    Surely Marvin in 1983 with the best ever version that no one can ever top?

Quote Originally Posted by fatmaninthethirdrow View Post
    Surely Marvin in 1983 with the best ever version that no one can ever top?
    Marvin didn't perform it at the Super Bowl though. He did it at the NBA All-Star Game.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Marvin didn't perform it at the Super Bowl though. He did it at the NBA All-Star Game.
    Aah, as an Englishman and not a sports devotee, I'm afraid one game is much like another to me.

Still, I was gobsmacked at the time by Marvin's version and the sheer soulfulness of it still brings a tear to the eye.

Cant envisage such an update to the stodgy UK national anthem!

Diana Ross was the 1st pop star to perform the National Anthem for the Super Bowl. Also the first female to do a half time show for the SB.