[REMOVE ADS]




Results 1 to 29 of 29
  1. #1

    Gladys Knight & The Pips "Didn't You Know (You'd Have To Cry Sometime)" (1969)

    This is one of the best, most excellent recordings to come out of Motown! (in my opinion). The performance here also ranks as one of the best I ever seen of a Motown act or any other music act on television. Take a look and a listen to Gladys Knight & the Pips from the Mike Douglas Show and be sure to turn those speakers up!

    Happy Birthday Motown!



  2. #2
    Agree totally. First heard it on the UK 16 Big Hits Vol. 7 (even though it wasn't a big hit). Loved it ever since, especially in stereo.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Agree totally. First heard it on the UK 16 Big Hits Vol. 7 (even though it wasn't a big hit). Loved it ever since, especially in stereo.
    Everything just seem to work so well with this one. The background harmonies were superb Gladys' emotional lead vocal makes this one a bona fide classic that I can listen over and over still today.

  4. #4
    I always loved this record and its one of my faves by Gladys Knight & The Pips and one of my faves written by Ashford & Simpson.

  5. #5
    Man, I cannot get enough of the high steppin', harmonizing and always sharp Pips! To me, they made Gladys that much better! She had to sing over, through, and around the Pips. They were the best, and to me, Gladys doesn't sound the same without them.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by stingbeelee View Post
    Man, I cannot get enough of the high steppin', harmonizing and always sharp Pips! To me, they made Gladys that much better! She had to sing over, through, and around the Pips. They were the best, and to me, Gladys doesn't sound the same without them.
    They were so polished, so synchronized and so soulful! They were simply the best which is why their careers lasted so long. Their music still sounds good today.

  7. #7
    Great find Marv2! Terrific performance by Gladys & the Pips of "Didn't You Know You Had To Cry Sometime". Thanks for sharing.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Everything just seem to work so well with this one. The background harmonies were superb Gladys' emotional lead vocal makes this one a bona fide classic that I can listen over and over still today.
    I always loved this song and I didn't know that A&S wrote it, but as I listen to the structure and especially the text, Nick & Val's name is all over it. "Oh, didn't you know, Oh didn't you know" Gladys took it to church!

  9. #9
    Fabulous song !... prefer this version to Diana Ross

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    Great find Marv2! Terrific performance by Gladys & the Pips of "Didn't You Know You Had To Cry Sometime". Thanks for sharing.
    You're most welcome Eddie. I watched it a couple of times and focused all the movements, everything on how they delivered this song. It is clear to me the amount of work they put into their presentations.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by nysister View Post
    I always loved this song and I didn't know that A&S wrote it, but as I listen to the structure and especially the text, Nick & Val's name is all over it. "Oh, didn't you know, Oh didn't you know" Gladys took it to church!
    Sister exactly! I couldn't remember who wrote it while listening to it, but when Gladys says...."Now you come to me" sounds like something Ashford and Simpson would write. Good song, great song with lyrics that everyone should be able to relate to.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by nysister View Post
    I always loved this song and I didn't know that A&S wrote it, but as I listen to the structure and especially the text, Nick & Val's name is all over it. "Oh, didn't you know, Oh didn't you know" Gladys took it to church!
    That last part where sings Oh, didn't you know, Oh didn't you know" was like a life lesson. It was like she was saying people can get away with some things for just so long, but at some point you better know you're going to have cry or feel regret for your actions if they were not pure. LOL!!!!

  13. #13
    Ashford & Simpson were magic with whatever they did and this was perfect for Gladys. Wished they had worked with her more.

  14. #14
    I’m not a fan of the song by anyone, but this performance is sublime - wowza! How lucky she was to go to Motown to get on TV regularly to strut her stuff !

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Ashford & Simpson were magic with whatever they did and this was perfect for Gladys. Wished they had worked with her more.
    They didn't do a whole album with Gladys and the Pips until 1980's "About Love" which was a great album.

  16. #16
    From the Ed Sullivan Show:


  17. #17
    I LOVE THIS TRACK! YAS Ashford & Simpson!

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    They didn't do a whole album with Gladys and the Pips until 1980's "About Love" which was a great album.
    Yeah but they needed to do more. I'm familiar with the About Love album lol

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Yeah but they needed to do more. I'm familiar with the About Love album lol
    I agree. Revisiting songs like this that I had not heard in a while just makes me feel blessed to have grown up during the time that I did.

  20. #20
    Love "Didn't You Know"....got a bunch of the first CD's issued by Motown "Command Performance" series releases since at the time the market was new and I thought that may be all for Motown back catalogue

  21. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Yeah but they needed to do more. I'm familiar with the About Love album lol
    They did a few tracks on the follow up album "touch"as i recall.

  22. #22
    Have always loved GK&TP's version of "Didn't You Know". I love Diana's version, too! Ashford & Simpson sure had the magic touch at Motown. A perfect match!

  23. #23
    Glady's takes the song to church. Wonderful performance.

  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    They did a few tracks on the follow up album "touch"as i recall.
    A & S produced the majority of TOUCH. Gladys produced two tracks herself.

  25. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    that last part where sings oh, didn't you know, oh didn't you know" was like a life lesson. It was like she was saying people can get away with some things for just so long, but at some point you better know you're going to have cry or feel regret for your actions if they were not pure. Lol!!!!
    yassss !!!!!!!

  26. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by nysister View Post
    yassss !!!!!!!
    We need music and performers of this quality today...very much! Sister.

  27. #27
    About Love and Touch are both quality albums, the former especially so. Diana's version of "Didn't You Know" is also quality. Quality all round.

  28. #28
    I love that song. I remember a cover by Nona Hendryx and Billy Vera.

  29. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by kpitt1204 View Post
    I love that song. I remember a cover by Nona Hendryx and Billy Vera.
    I think one of the reasons it is so good is because almost everyone can relate to the lyrics. The singing is just amazing to me.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.